Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But the map you posted doesn't have areas illegally occupied by Russia but it shows how they in local elections but have been occupied for 8+ years .

Odd no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

I never said you said "launch a nuke" but I think we all know what the consequences of an invasion of Russian territory are likely to be.

We want to be a long time on this planet and have to find a way to get around this situation.

I was gobsmacked when the USSR collapsed.

Perhaps with a little patience , resolve and intelligence we may see off these forces of ignorance and ill will .

A rush of blood to the head is unlikely to accomplish that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

Fight for Donbas is still ongoing, and when was the fight for Crimea???

1. You need to look up the definition of slander as it applies to Irish law.

2. The term you are looking for and the one you misused still doesn't apply in the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was gobsmacked when the USSR collapsed.

I think everyone was. I was even a teen at the time put I still remember watching all the people going at the Berlin Wall with anything they could get be it a lump hammer or a stick and saying to my Father "Dad why are they doing that do they not know it will not do smash it.

I did not understand the politics or the consequences of it back then for the world or for the German people or Europe as I was far too young. Had not even started secondary school yet that was still a few years away.

Yes we all want to see a peaceful end to the war in Ukraine but I think it will take more than a little patience. Maybe the Russian army will develop a moral compass and turn around but I do not see it happening. I think they to have been brainwashed by Putins lies

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

No. There is pretty much nothing that Russia can do to Ukraine that would lead to an attack on Russia itself from NATO countries. Russia would need to attack a NATO country for that kind of response.

It's difficult to say exactly what killing Zelensky would do. Most likely the effect would be for the EU countries who are currently wavering to come down more heavily on the side of Ukraine. The wave of disgust throughout the West would likely lead to more closures of Russians embassies and the acceleration in the resolve move away from Russian hydrocarbons. People might be willing to make more sacrifices in their own lives in order to prevent their money going towards Russia.

Needless to say it would end any peace talks between Ukraine and Russia and likely cause even more Ukrainians to take up arms against the Russians in anger. NATO would likely accelerate the volume of arms into the country.

It might also have a negative affect on the non-Western countries who are currently remaining neutral on the invasion.

All in all it would be a very bad move for Russia and is possibly why they haven't targeted his residence or place of work with cruise missiles like they did to Governor of Mykolaiv, Vitaly Kim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aside from anything else, heads of state are curiously hard to bump off, even in war time. In the modern age has one even met that fate? Presumably because there are no greater walls of defence than those around the proverbial palace. Castro outlived hundreds of plots (and his plotters), and I don't doubt Russia has tried to kill Zelensky; as I've said already when the dust settles we may yet discover just how close they got to that. I suspect it'll be a hairs breath, the flap of a butterfly's wings.

The only one I can think of in recent times, was the dictator President of Chad, Idriss_Déby, who died last year, visiting troops who were fighting rebels.

Déby was killed in April 2021 while commanding forces fighting on the front against rebels from the Front for Change and Concord in Chad (FACT). According to an army spokesperson, Déby succumbed to injuries resulting from gunshots on 20 April 2021 while commanding his army against FACT rebels in the north of Chad during the Northern Chad offensive, at the age of 68. According to a rebel spokesperson, he was mortally wounded in the village of Mele, near the town of Nokou, before being taken to the capital, where he died

At the time it was remarked how highly unusual that occurrence was.

I hope Zelensky gets the Nobel Prize for Peace.

If they gave it to him ahead of the usual timeframe it might protect his life.

Also it would confirm that the Nobel Prize for Peace does not require its recipients to be pacifists.

Mind you, I did suggest earlier that that prize should go to the Ukrainian people as a whole,who have laid everything on the line protecting us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree he deserves it. Hope it gets it. When is it awarded anyway?

Well it could go to Zelensky and maybe he could dedicate it to the Ukranian people ir it could just go to the Ukranian people too. When the war is over he could put it somewhere where they could all view it maybe even have access to it as long as there was security there protecting it. Would not want someone robbing it for themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Head of states bumped off while in office:

President J F Kennedy - assassinated by [unknown].

Anwar Sadat - assassinated by his own personal guards in front of the world.

H Verwoerd - Prime minister of South Africa

King Faisal of Saudi Arabia

Aldo Moro - Prime Minister of Italy

Indira Gandhi PM of India

Olaf Palme - PM of Sweden

Yitzhak Rabin - PM of Israel

Plus plenty more of smaller states.

I do not think they are beyond getting bumped off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Don't forget Mussolini

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did not forget him - he was before 'living memory'. There was also Nicolae Ceaușescu who also came to a sorry end.

That was pretty savage at the time and Broadcast live for local tv

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I remember seeing that, fairly drastic stuff. And Ghadaffi and Saddam.

Couldn't have happened to nicer guys. Humanities greatest failure IMO is giving fcukers like that power. Why are we dazzled by sh*theads? Why do we support extremists and nutbags? It's puzzling to me.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And yet when they were removed everything became immeasurably worse.

Libya and Iraq are now failed states more or less. One of the possibilities if someone whacks Putin prematurely. He'll be dead soon enough of "natural" causes no doubt looking at him, but that will bring with it a transfer of power to some more nationalists.

Nothing worse than a power vacuum though, anything can happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose when I spitballed, my brain was thinking of hot wars; those still in the balance rather than those situations where one side had effectively won, the loser's leader scooped up during the regime collapse ala Gaddafi or Hussein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Comrade Detritus, Of course I agree that Russia should not have invaded Ukraine, never suggested otherwise. But in trying to be impartial it's obvious that's it's a power struggle between two super powers. What I cannot fathom is Zelenskyy shouting from the roof tops and urging the rest of world not to trade with Russia in other words to starve the monster of hard cash (which I and all reasonable people agree with) Yet Zelenskyy himself is feeding the very same monster under his table to the tune of approx 45 billion Euro since the war began. Granted the actual gas supplied to the west since the war began may not yet be paid for, but it's the acutal principal of it and the sheer hyprocisy of Zelenskyy that boils my pi... He has to stand up to his US / NATO puppet masters turn off that tap and let them feel the cold winds of war too...it may help speed up armistice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's blatantly obvious now that it's a struggle between 2 regional powers, one of whom has the complete backing of the only remaining global superpower. The other has the tepid backing of an aspirant superpower in the same way a vulture might tell you he's behind you all the way, while licking his beak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Am I right in assuming that if Zelenskyy stops ''feeding the monster'' (turns off the gas lever) EU / NATO / US will stop all military & financial aid. If that's the case he has more than Putins gun to his head, he has to grow a pair and face them down, call their bluff, deny them their pound of flesh. It's unconscionable that the ''West'' are, on the one hand, equipping & arming Ukraine and, on the other, financing the Russian war machine. If the Ukrainians ar paying with their lives, surely the least the West could do is to suffer the inconvinence of being without gas for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ukraine is not going to sabotage the energy supplies of it's allies. All this "puppet masters" stuff and false equivalence are hallmarks of fringe nonsense from the likes of Clare Daly and her ilk.

Interesting developments in the autonomous Transnistria region of Moldova in the past 2 days. There seems to have been a number of explosions and earlier today Russia destroyed the only bridge linking the far south-west of Ukraine (which is directly south of Moldova) to the rest of Ukraine.

There are reports of people fleeing Transnistria into Moldova but I haven't seen those confirmed beyond a single picture on twitter of cars in a queue at a border crossing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's unconscionable that the ''West'' are, on the one hand, equipping & arming Ukraine and, on the other, financing the Russian war machine.

I agree, but why you think it reflects poorly on Zelenskyy and not them is completely and utterly beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Because apparently Zelensky is a "coward" and a "puppet" for not sabotaging 25% of Europe's gas supply from Russia that flows through Ukraine. I didn't think it could get any worse than the poster criticising Zelensky's facial hair but here we are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Ok, youve made your point that you think he should cut the gas pipeline and damn the consequences. Now either engage with other posters who disagree or move on.

But if you are just going to repeat yourself its soapboxing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone catch the excellent documentary about Alexey Navalny last night on BBC2, in it he duped some Russian scientist over the phone into admitting he purposely poisoned him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Russia going for another false flag event in Transnistria?

How many russian soldiers are actually stationed there?

They have between 1500 and 3000 troops stationed there , but Moldova only has around 5000 active soldiers very little armour , feck all artillery and no airforce , they sold 30 mig 29s to the Americans back in the 90s ,and very few air defense systems ,

Russia could hit them with missles and bombs from aircraft and Moldova could do little to stop them

• Advertisement

I see Poland and Bulgaria have had their access to Russian gas cut off; you'd wonder if that'll only harden the resolve of the countrie's opposition to the war.

As to Moldova, leaving aside the expansionism within Putin's decisions - what does Moldova have worth invading over?

Advertisement