Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

There's nothing mysterious. They slipped on the stairs, fell out the window, and their neck got caught in a rope that happened to be hanging on an apple tree in the garden.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

I was talking about the higher ranking officers closest to Hitler,not guards in a concentration camps.

Not everyone escaped to Argentina or had the money to even get out of Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

The main issues for me with Poland and even more so Hungary are their unacceptable democratic backsliding. The EU has to and I am sure will make sure cast iron guarantees and clauses against that happening are part of any future accession treaties for any country coming into the EU be it Ukraine or otherwise.

Do the eastern European countries currently in the EU have many economic and structural issues including Poland absolutely they do. But that is to be expected after they were occupied by the former Russian Empire/USSR for 50 odd years. It is going to take them time. Look at us economically and structurally when we got into the EU. We were getting massive hand outs from Brussels for many years and now have progressed and are actually a net contributor to the EU budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I just went to the Express.co.uk link, holy f*

What an absolute scarefest of a rag, its actually Jarring to read. Each headline is Disaster, Horror, nightmare, Man kicked to death, food shortage crisis, death, illness, disease, rage, fear, crime, paedophile.

Jaysus if you were reading that every day you wouldnt leave the house.

No wonder they voted for Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yes we are a net contributor now, I just wonder how long it will take for ex eastern bloc countries to become net contributors. Anyway they are on the ship now, I am reticent to add more risk for a very long time to be honest and I feel like if you ran a referendum across all current eu states for Ukrainian or Balkan accession you might find a lot of member states against the idea. It's very easy for martin or others to be gung ho in their support to show their virtue at this point but when the spreadsheets come out and people actually have to make the decision we could see a different outcome. Supporting Ukraine with military and humanitarian aid is something I support, integrating them socially and economically into the eu I am not convinced of yet. I don't believe this state will even see stability for decades and I'm not sure what direction it will develop politically after this war, particularly after such trauma which will have to be processed there. It was surprising for me too the reaction I got for that opinion. It remind me of how ones hatred or anger for ones enemy can push them to emulate the enemy they so despise. Almost like there is no room for nuance here, you are either "with us or against us"! You must show total loyalty to the Ukrainian people or be dubbed a Russian sympathiser

Post edited by joseywhales on

If there was such thing as an inverse Godwin this is it. Niwdog's Law if you will. Invoking Godwin on a discussion where the parallels are clear and obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

If this pipeline explosion story is such a big thing, why are Brent Crude futures down over 5% to-day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭corkie

Sorry about the sources, I just used two handy links to confirm the story, other sources have the same story.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Druzhba+oil+depot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Does this mean oil to Europe is completely stopped?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Sorry about the sources, I just used two handy links to confirm the story, other sources have the same story.

None of which are credible.

Fire - yes.

Impact on pipeline - no

Well it took us 40 odd years of being an EU member to become a net contributor so I am sure it will take a fair while yet. I would disagree with you as regards to the opinions of other eastern European EU member states opinions about Ukraine. The Eastern European EU countries have largely supported Ukraine getting membership quickly. Now that is not going to happen but a normal lengthy accession process seems reasonable to me and I think that is what we will see. It will probably be about 10 years or so as it was with Poland after they applied before Ukraine officially becomes part of the EU but I do think that is what we will see.

As for the whole "with us or against us mentality" I think there is some justification for that in the here and now in the sense that IMHO what we are seeing is an existential threat not just to Ukraine but to democracy and free and open societies in general IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/rumours-intensify-vladimir-putins-health-26794323

I think we can all agree, Putin is on his last legs. How long more can he last? Stress, illness, heart trouble who knows what it is but he bought it all on himself. The sooner he is gone the better.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ohh matron, some Germans it seems don't like to be reminded of their past.

The past where they decided to engage in industrialised genocide.

We forget the past at our peril.

Ah fecking hell you never qualified that.

Also for the ones here who want to forget the past, it should be noted the Nazis just weren't Hitler and in his inner sanctum, nor the likes of just the SS and Gestapo.

Most of atrocities weren't even dreamt up by Hitler nor even Himmler or the likes of Heydrich, Eichmann, etc.

There were quite a lot of ordinary Germans quite happy to get down and dirty so to speak.

Of course after the war and up to this day it is played out that it was only some, it was only those awful SS, etc.

There were the good Germans like the much lauded von stauffenberg, who coincidently turned on Hitler when things were going wrong on the battlefield.

Ennis, Shannon you say.

Clare, enough said.

You do know that there are thick ignorant people everywhere, every country in the world.

It is something you can be guaranteed. Also you can meet nice people in most countries.

But I do acknowledge the Germans are known for forming orderly queues.

Hell the Germans even managed to organise quite a lot of them in Poland from 43 to 44.

Every wonder where that old stereotype of Germans leaving towels on sun-loungers started.

BTW my point about treating most Germans of the 1940s as the enemy of right thinking people, of democracy holds today where we must think of the vast majority of Russians as our enemy.

Putin and his cronies on their own could not organise this, Putin and his cronies are not the ones actually doing the slaughtering of people and raping of women and girls in Ukraine.

Putin and his cronies are not the ones taking part in parades in European countries.

Putin and his cronies are being enabled and backed by a sizable chunk of Russians.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

The main relevance of the Nazi past in relation to current German policy is that Germany now has a deeply pacifist streak, which might be welcome in normal times, but which is now manifesting itself as weakness. Using Nazi crimes to demonise present-day Germany is daft. There are ways you can criticise Germany with reference to the current situation, and not by indulging in a form of historical whataboutery.

Every wonder where that old stereotype of Germans leaving towels on sun-loungers started.

LOL. Reminds me of when I was in holidaying in Thailand a few years back and there were a lot of Russians at the resort I was at.

Was having a chat with the local barman minding the poolside bar whom made the comment to me 'Russians are the new Germans'.

Still holds true...

I am not sure of they have a pacifist streak or more of a capitalist streak. Why defend anything when the Americans will do it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

No, around 80% of Russian oil imports to Europe are delivered by tankers coming mainly from the Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Germany has long wanted to dominate Europe.

That resulted in two world wars, the second being particularly destructive and indeed vicious on a level never before seen in history.

You talk about a pacifist streak, but I would say it is more a control streak.

The great German statesmen who actually lived through the war and helped shape EEC, EU are now long gone to be replaced it seems by those willing to put their economy ahead of all else.

German drive to rule gave us two world wars, it latterly helped create the economic mess and ensuing fallout of the late 2000s, it helped create a glut of migrants into Europe all meant as cheap labour and when that didn't work out Germany demanded the rest of the EU pick up the pieces.

And now they are looking at seeing a European country fall into enslavement and fellow EU members be threatened so that their economy is guaranteed.

There is no way the great German leaders of the past firstly would have allowed Germany become so dependent on Russia and secondly they would have understood that for a united Europe to continue they must back their Eastern neighbours.

And I know people will come back and say Merkel saved the euro, but really was it all about saving German economic well being.

We hear people say she helped steer Europe through migrant crisis, but did she not help create it in the first place.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

I am just very pessimistic perhaps. I don't believe Poland or Hungary will ever be net contributors. I don't believe they entered the eu in good faith. They seem to be interested in the financial benefits and none of the social responsibilities. Why will this change? I think that eastern block countries that have lived in a kind of quid pro quo culture for so long will find it hard to evolve to a true values driven society rather than pure transactional motives. Ok given enough time anything can change but like we are ready to take on another massive hugely traumatized country?

You said you disagreed with me on the opinions of eastern eu states but I didn't mention eastern states specifically, I feel like you might find western eu states that will hesitate to support further expansion and who regret the loss of the UK (even though they historically resent them and compete with them) , they know they have lost a social leader there in line with their western values.

• The higher Irish GDP may be due to leprechaun economics. The downside to that is we pay a higher net contribution to the EU. The plus side is we have a good rating from lenders so we can borrow and borrow

Was your country invaded 5 years by the nazis?Did your grandfather execute nazis and collaborators after ww2 ended?

Did your grandfather fight against the nazis?

My grandfather did

Yes i know what a nazi is,but i was refering to ones closest to Hitler,that atleast had made a name for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

True. There's also a fairly big difference between bonafide refugees plus economic migrants transmigrating across 2 continents to get to a specific European country and ukrainian refugees forced by reason of the Russian invasion to flee their country to other European countries. Especially where the remaining options for Ukrainians are either staying where they are and potentially being murdered, raped, tortured by Putins thugs and / or being forcibly relocated to somewhere in Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Yes I reread what I said there about Eastern European states and that was not well posted on my part. I think what we will find is yes some reluctance on the part of some Western European states and strong support from Eastern European states. Ultimately I think we will see Ukraine join the EU though it will not be a quick process. It will be over about a 10 year time scale IMHO so that the proper reforms, laws etc can be put in place.

As regards for the future of Eastern European states in the EU and your pessimism. Well nobody can tell for sure what the future holds. But I am maybe just being more optimistic but I think they just need time. We were an utter shambles socially and economically after we regained independence. By the time we joined the EU in 1973 we were still pretty backward economically and very repressive socially but over time we have done well overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, I don't think that Ukraine should be allowed to join up too fast. Whatever can be done to deepen links between the EU and Ukraine like with the DCFTA in the meantime, though, but the EU needs to be careful when allowing countries to join that they're not going to tip the cultural and economic balance of the union that makes it permanently divided and fighting with itself and constantly putting out fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Oh wow, "All Germans are Nazis" post, no, never had that one before, how original. Are all Irish drunken terrorists?

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Peak 80's! Memories of a fantastically wasted youth :D

• Advertisement

A countries contribution to the EU budget is not calculated via it's GDP. It is based on a countries Gross National Income and a small part of each countries VAT collection as well as a few other sources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement