Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

Admitting or not admitting Ukrainian refugees, while it may pose material short term issues (it will cost money, getting accommodation will be problematic), is not the primary long term material variable for the future of housing in Ireland.

WHO ARE YOU ARGUING WITH?

Stop interjecting arguments that haven't been made, and then seeking to counter them. You keep doing this, and it's incredibly annoying. Deal with the points I have made, not the ones you've imagined in your own head.

That is not to hide the negative effect of refugees arriving in large number — but if you’re waiting for the thesis with the tidy planning, the cash flow charts, the logistical perfection of how Ireland deals with the unexpected invasion of a huge country of 44 million people in modern Europe then I don’t think you’re being as realistic as you might think

Good lord, you really are dishonest. Everything is an attempted guilt trip (which fails), or a move to shift goalposts.

I actually had a long post written out until I reached the end.. and no. **** no. Utter waste of time attempting to engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Does anyone else wonder why they are adamant there is to be 'no cap' on the amount brought in? I mean, theyre not going to ever leave, what would they go back to? And why would they when they see how easy it is to get handouts here?

Maybe the thinking is that they'll replace the Polish/Czech/Lithuanian etc workers who went back to their home country during the pandemic and didn't return, to help out all the **** who've been moaning they can't get staff to be worked like dogs in their crap hotels for min wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Did anyone see the bombshell comment that Minister for Justice Helen McEntee dropped?

Pretty much ignored by the media too.

"McEntee, speaking in Government Buildings this morning, insisted that Ukrainian refugees will continue to be welcomed.

She indicated the Government will avoid, if possible, forcing people or businesses to give up property or open their homes to Ukrainian refugees"

source: https://www.thejournal.ie/ogorman-grouped-accommodation-ukrainian-refugees-5743718-Apr2022/

Which means, some people in the government are contemplating compelling people to give up their private property to home Ukr refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

Wait until the next war in Croatia. Or Prussia, or Siam. There's a drought in Guadalupe, a bad smell in Samoa, inclement weather in Turkey. Names and places and reasons don't matter. Nothing matters except more people pressure.

Fill up the sheds, the outhouses, the ditches, the hotels, the caves, the treetops, the gyms, the hospitals, the beaches, the schools, the bins. it's OUR duty, say the ones unaffected.

Seamus earns 2000 euro a month while living in a 1000 euro rental box. He'll support it all. What a lad!

Keep em coming, more, more, MORE!

How do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If Seamus is earning 2k a month net and is spending 1k a month in rent then he'll get no sympathy from me. Or most people.

As I told you yesterday, he should be spending between 400-600 a month on a flatshare or houseshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You asked for the details on how it was going to be paid for, where accommodation was going to come from, and how Irish people were not going to be bypassed — right? You wanted the economics of it set out for you, the hard considerations — and when someone is sitting in Ireland circa 2022 and they see the topics of finance, accommodation and accommodating Irish people then I think it’s a safe presumption that they are framing an issue within the context of the housing crisis. Because if you weren’t, subtly or otherwise, trying to use the context of the housing crisis to highlight the economic barrier against taking in Ukrainian refugees, then what was the point of your questions in the first place?

I don’t think it’s dishonest to have taken the actually benign view towards your point in assuming that you were balancing one crisis against another, which it seemed was what you are doing. If I’ve misinterpreted then I apologise.

Yeah, f**ck you, Seamus. You could cut back and save a few quid a year by sharing a room with 47 Brazilians!

Also, Seamus, please financially support every prussian, cushion, belabussian, teletubby and Lilliputian that are filling up the country.

Also, and this can't be stressed enough, f**k you, Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have any TD's housed any Ukrainians yet?

I didn't see anything in the media but I probably overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No country has put a cap on how many they will take, so Ireland are not unique.

So the question is why has no country stated they will not put a cap?

Many reasons. There may come a time though when the countries doing the heaviest lifting will organically have to place a cap because they can't cope anymore, it's the reason at this moment in time they being pumped with EU money.

The main reason no one has put a cap on though is because a cap is also a target.

Not so long ago it was projected that 40,000 refugees would enter Ireland before the end of this month, that has been revised down considerably. If the door was slowly closing on a country there would be a rush to get there, we probably would have exceeded that figure by now. The optics of Ireland taking in relatively more than the majority of other countries in the EU is that it takes the pressure off us and puts it on them.

The reality is this is firmly an EU and European problem, if they are turned away in one country they will just go elsewhere, they can't just disappear, it is either managed someway fairly or it will just be a free for all.

The good news is, in the past week or so more are crossing back into Ukraine then coming out, the bad news is no one knows what exactly is going to happen in Ukraine so it could get very bad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely. I hear on liveline a few days ago a young girl over here, sending some of the welfare money back home to her family. Now I’m sorry but what the fcuk. Are we some kind of charity island? Things aren’t good here unless you’re extremely well paid and wealthy. The majority of us aren’t with all the issues outlined already here.

We have a moral duty to aid those at the forefront of the war. Absolutely. But a blanket social welfare “entitlement” is sheer lunacy.

I can see them having to cut off the blanket welfare entitlement or limit. As it is I reckon about 10% has been added in a few months to an already bulging welfare budget. There’s no way those kind of figures can be sustained. If 200k arrived and all are entitled to full welfare that’s double the current state expenditure. Quick back of a fag packet calculation would tell you we can’t sustain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Do not get me wrong, those people need somewhere to live, but putting women and children in a swimming pool and kicking out the people who make a living there makes no sense to me at all.

Why doesn't the Irish government (using your money, naturally) just start building homes and hospitals and schools in India that are needed in ireland, lash out the standard social welfare rates while they're at it?

Or any other place you care to mention.

Because, in practical terms, it is precisely the same result as what they're doing all ready. A house that should have alleviated the housing crisis has a family of whoever move in. No benefit to Irish people. An extra hospital bed that should alleviate the healthcare situation, is occupied by whoever. No benefit to Irish people. So on.

(Oh but we need them for the hospitals, they say, despite the mass exodus of practically all Irish medical students abroad because they've been undercut by cheaper foreign labour, and despite the system getting worse every year...la la la)

As off the wall as it sounds, it truly is the equivalent of taking your money and spending it for the benefit of other people in bladdy nepal. The only difference is the plane journey.

Same for the ukrainians. Just take Mickey McClueless's money and fund an entire miniature nation on the Polish border. Mickey gets the same value for his work in the end, bugger all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My place could take 20 without any need for vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Helen McEntee said whe was going to. Shouted it out to the world in fact. She was patted on the back so much it must hurt. Pure heart she is.

Leo was saying he is doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

She changed her mind. Said the place was served poorly by public transport! Bless her, if only her party were in govt.

Following day Ryan said he'd examine the feasibility of increasing the public transport as Ukrainian refugees would find it awkward to commute for services, or words to that effect.

Another example of Irish taxpayers putting up with poor services of all kinds and miraculously there's talk of improvement because of the current influx of Ukrainian refugees.

Yet previously there was money for nothing.

This I think is why people here rightly are having a gripe at the system.

• Advertisement

its almost as if this is a massive humanitarian crisis which must be dealt with as an emergency on a somewhat different basis to the day to day stresses faced by the operation of government services.

Ah yes, you see THIS immediate crisis for foreign people and the government tripping over themselves to solve it cannot, MUST NOT, be compared to Irish people's housing crisis that has dragged on for an eternity with nary a f**ck given by the same government.

Completely different crises, you see.

THIS crisis is an opportunity to fill up the country with yet more people on fast forward to increase property prices, whereas the other crisis generates property prices by leaving it alone. Same, but different, but the same, but different.

Snip

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Admire anyone that does undertake it, they can well afford it unlike the vast majority of us. What’s annoying is virtue signallers like Mcentee using it for attention and likes then reneging 5 minutes later.

I know she is extremely dim but even She knew when publicly pledging her “offer” where her house was located and that transportation etc was going to be an issue.

Was this place council run/owned? Anyone that knows arklow it’s a fairly run down deprived town in places. Last thing it needs is less public amenities. Guarantee if this was a facility in D4 environs it wouldn’t happen.

Also is the pressure greater in the south east I wonder? With the regular ferries into Rosslare any one driving across to Ireland will likely most likely land there. Noticed a few Ukrainian regs around Kilkenny the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And did you answer that question, even slightly? Nope. You rambled around with vague assertions, constantly dismissing the economic considerations without actually addressing them. So..

day to day stresses? How about issues that have been with us for decade or longer? The housing crisis is only one serious problem with the manner in which the government and State have been "managing" the country. For many people in Ireland, we've been dealing with a health crisis for well over a decade. And that's without dealing with issues like poor infrastructure outside of Dublin, or a variety of other problems that have been left on the waiting list, long before the Ukrainian conflict kicked off.

This is just another in a long list of delays... and extra costs to ensure that those services are not fixed, and Irish people come second place to "other" considerations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

And homeless people of our own, who do not get social welfare because they have no address,

this is an issue that should never be allowed, if your Irish and homeless you get nothing, if your

Ukrainian you get social welfare and a place to stay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement