Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller to Iran - US Tourist Visa Interview

Options
  • 21-04-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi. I travelled to Iran in 2019 for a friend’s wedding.

I plan to go to the USA in October. Since I’m now ineligible for ESTA, I have a few questions.

1: Do I still have to fill out ESTA regardless and bring the rejection email to the embassy?

2: How far in advance will I have to apply?

3: How long will my visa be granted for? Will I have to apply for a Tourist VISA for each and every trip I take in future?

4: Will my ESTA denial be for the rest of my life?

5: What Kind of questions will they ask if anyone has any experience.

6: Is the Chance of being rejected high? I can account for my whole trip there with Mosque visit, Museum Tickets, Football game, photos with friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Can't answer some of the questions here but how far in advance will depend on interview availability and how much time they need to do background check. You need to fill out the form DS-160, pay the fee, then book the interview at the embassy. At the interview, they may decide to issue the visa (in which case they keep your passport) or they may decide that they need more information. If they decide they need more information, your application will go into Administrative Processing and there's no telling how long it could be in that state for. If they do grant the visa, it could be anything from a single entry visa to a 10 year multi entry visa, it's at the discretion of the agent. And yes, once that visa expires you would need to go through the same process again as it seems like visiting Iran is lifetime ban from using ESTA (that may change).

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Thanks pal 🫣

Would they post back the passport when it’s granted or would I have to go back again in person?

I have a UK passport through my grandmother, could I just use that to enter the US and say nothing?

They will post your passport back to you.

I wouldn't advise being dishonest with US immigration officials, the consequences can be severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

It's a few years ago since I got a visa to go enter US after being in Iran a few times for work.

1 Can't remember but probably best to do that

2 Sooner the better

3 Visa was for multiple entries 3 months max stay

4 I don't know but I doubt it

5 I remember it as a box ticking exercise nothing hostile or difficult

6 They just looked at my Iranian visas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,689 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd kinda be inclined to use use your UK passport. Now, I'd also firmly agree with the person saying not to be dishonest about anything - but you have a right to use either of your passports, they're both legit travel documents. I'm not sure that there's a specific question on the ESTA form that asks if you've ever been to Iran - if there is, then I'd knock it on the head. But if you can follow the process properly with the UK passport, and never have to lie, then I'd just do that.

I've duel citizenship too, with Canada, so have two passports. I just use whichever is most fitting for the circumstances - for instance, with travel in the America's the Canadian one is usually a bit easier, while of course for European travel the Irish one is much better.

Also, as an aside, is there any chance of getting a second Irish passport without the Iranian stamp? About 10 years ago my brother was given a second passport by the passport service as he was doing engineering work in both Israel and a few Arab nations that didn't allow entry with an Israeli stamp.

Just out of curiosity, what if a pilot or cabin crew working for a western airline was scheduled on the route to Tehran. They’d be answering yes to the question thus being denied ESTA for the rest of their lives.

The exact question on the ESTA form is "Have you travelled to, or been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, North Korea or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011?"

Advertisement