Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Do they get social welfare in the UK? If they're not getting anything, then it's not on to ask....

But here? Tbh, I think it would be fairly poor for a refugee receiving €200+ pw on SW here, plus dependants, to give absolutely nothing to the house to contribute towards food and utilities. You shouldn't even have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

People being people that is almost certainly going to happen. Not everyone shares the same sense of “fair play” and almost certainly that varies amongst different cultures

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If any government agent comes to my door forcing me to house Ukrainian refugees, I will happily point them in the direction of dail member's houses and tell them in no uncertain terms to fúck right off. I would rather burn my house to the shell and live in a tent among the embers than bow to anything like that shíte, especially coming from the likes of a voted in by parochial morons dynastic muppet like McEntee.

And I doubt I'd be alone in feeling like this. If they want to gauge the true feelings of ordinary Irish people, many who are already struggling to keep or even get a roof over the heads then even suggesting something like this will tell them in short order.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I heard 15k per room. Now this family owns multiple hotels in the west, that would be empty most of the year. so nice little earner.

• Advertisement

It’s a super cash cow for certain ( no doubt politically well connected) hotels. There’s certainly never any “charity” with this lot (just look at weddings) and they’re like any business - there to maximise profit and opportunity. You wouldn’t blow your own cash as frivolously as this (you’d go broke). So why do government and their useless agencies feel they can do it with ours? This is an eye watering waste of public money and should only be used on a very temporary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I don't know about the 15k, perhaps a price for a defined period, the question was concerning daily rate 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It's v likely different per hotel, based on location etc which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

Yes, the powers that be ran this country into the ground, they privatised our resources, sold our resources and we paid for it all, the banks lent money, they were insured, yet they insisted the borrowers had their own insurance, so the borrowers insurance covered the bank losses, their own insurance covered their loses, and the people of this country are still paying for the banks losses due to paying back the IMF, oh and wait, then the banks got to sell the houses they took from people to vulture funds, and NAMA did the same, this country is a joke, destroyed by those voted in to run it.

Owning a house is now a dream, a dream for the wealthy, the majority of people will never own a home.

And as far as health care, what health care, it was as if the powers that be sent out a memo cancelling

health care, it happened overnight, with immediate effect, and has been spiralling downwards ever since.

It wont be too ling before this country has to turn on its own government if we are to save what is left.

UK volunteers are given £400 a month to house refugees and explicitly told to not ask for payment for bills. That particular individual clearly saw it as a money making opportunity

• Advertisement

Thats good news, now if only those on the street with no phones media access and such could find this out.

Yes likely but my sense is one price will or is being negotiated for all any hotel accommodation being used, eitherway its going to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Well all the homeless charities are aware of this so I am sure they can provide the information and assist. This was launched over 3 years ago.

An Post is providing all the charities, service providers and local authorities with information leaflets about Address Point to assist them in advising their clients about accessing the service. These groups include: Dublin Simon, Focus Ireland, Peter McVerry Trust, Merchant’s Quay Ireland, St. Vincent de Paul, Capuchin Day Centre, Threshold, Inner City Helping Homeless, Crosscare, the Dublin City Council Homeless Executive and all local authorities.

There are many people who never see sight of a charity organisation,

these are the most vulnerable of our citizens, sleeping rough, no one helping them.

Tell me how an address you sign up for online is accusable to someone with no

transport, living in a tent hidden away from the abuse of those who do not care for them

and push them out of society, do an post have a facility in every post office where such

people can come in and collect their mail, wouldn't be much use otherwise.

Just checked it out, Second last line on the application page says it all, useless,

"An Address Point address will not suffice as a “proof of address” document when such verification is required."

In the latest count there are 91 people sleeping rough in the Dublin region.

Most of the charities listed by An Post have multiples of that number working for them. If they can't help then I am not sure what can.

Um, complaining and criticising is all rather easy.. it's what most of us do all the time here. What's your answer for people who have walked away from having a permanent address, phones and the like. Many of them have chosen to get away from all that.. so... what's your amazing solution that others have failed to implement? (taking into account the wide variety of homeless in this country, and not stereotyping them all as being helpless and lacking in personal choice)

I make a point of mentioning all our Christian holidays by their correct names. If you don’t like that then fcuk off back to where you came from.

Sorry for not haveing any faith in what you posted as being true, there are homeless people

sleeping in their cars all over this country, along with in tents along river banks, hiding in derelict buildings

and otherwise hidden from view.

So tell me, why have the local councils got waiting lists with people on them for 15 years,

is it because they care, or are actively doing something to help them, its because they have donkeys

working for them that buy houses with Mica, wasters wasting money, I also know they bought a house

that was completely overhaulled for sale to a high standard, and then they gutted it and refurbished it,

the people in charge from what I can see are completely useless and are so because they have no fear

of getting it wrong or getting the sack or having to reimburse the tax payer.

Do we have any credible records or evidence those reductions were because

people were housed, did they die from illness while they were on the streets,

or of covid given their poor health from sleeping rough, its easy to fix the numbers

and paint a rosie picture.

Even now what is being done to house the homeless, re-zoning land so developers

can build and take every cent from the poor to the extent they cant buy food or heat

themselves, this is the reality, social housing is not happening, developers getting rich

is, 53 Million for 23 houses in Limerick, do the maths, its a rip off once again. Why don't

the government directly hire people to build these houses instead of enriching their friends

/ property developers, no that would make too much sense, and take too many people

off the waiting list lowering prices because houses are not in such high demand, wouldn't

want anything like that to happen now would we.

I backed up every post with figures and facts. This is not the thread for the rest of your points.

My initial reply was to point out Irish homeless people could avail of benefits since 2019 by a service free of charge from An Post that's all.

If you have no faith in what I posted please explain why.

• Advertisement

Just to add, 91 Sleeping rough in Dublin currently is correct , however as I've pointed out there is also a larger number not included in this figure who have temporary hostel accommodation at night only and remain extremely vunerable. There is also 26 counties to consider and a lot more people sleeping rough.

It's a very complex issue but here's something that is alarming

Homeless deaths in 2021 in two European cities of a similar size:

Manchester, England: 17.

Dublin, Ireland: 115.

This is the post I replied to:

And homeless people of our own, who do not get social welfare because they have no address,

this is an issue that should never be allowed, if your Irish and homeless you get nothing, if your

Ukrainian you get social welfare and a place to stay.

Do you agree this is true?

My answer, face the problem and pour the money into it that is being wasted on

advisors, supporting banks, supporting sporting organisations, the arts, let people

who want to exercise and entertain themselves pay for it themselves.

stop supporting the tourist industry, let business stand on their

own feet, it it doesn't pay let them sink, no point in keeping such activities going

at the cost of no houses to live in, no food because jimmy needed a grant to do

up his hotel, or some sporting organisation needs a new building.

Its engrained in this country to support the wealthy and trample over the rest.

Look at the carbon tax, another waste of peoples money, no amount of tax will

stop the need for people to keep warm, nor will it stop people needing to drive to work.

Green dim wits handing out grants, that people firstly need to put up front their own

money, how does this work when the people in dire need of the grants are the people who can not

afford to put anything up front, Oh let me guess, they are paying what they could otherwise

save to put up front in carbon tax, well thought out dim witt greens, again only the welathy

will gain.

Not getting into that but just adding to the point you made about 91 being currently homeless in Dublin, the picture a little more complicated than that I'm afraid.

There is infact a mechanism in place to help rough sleepers get both SW and medical attention, the an post address is actually to be commended.

Whilst I have strong views on entitlements, my belief is in equal treatment for all who are vulnerable, sadly there is a double standard at play along with a Two Tier system of supports which is shameful, outrageous and disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If any government tries that...they may encounter this.

What are you on about?

The poster said there was no help for rough sleepers getting benefits. I showed that was not the case backed up with how this is being address for over 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Dempo1 Homeless deaths in 2021 in two European cities of a similar size:

Manchester, England: 17 (not true)

Dublin, Ireland: 115 (not true )

your figure for 115 deaths amongst homeless /rough sleepers is wrong

Austin O’Carroll, founder of the medical service Safetynet, noted however that not all of these were among homeless people. And when taken in the context of the significant increase in homeless single adults, mortality rates had not increased markedly.

This compares with 47 homeless deaths in in 2020, 25 in 2019 and 24 in 2018.

At the same time homeless single adults in Dublin have been rising steadily since 2019, from a low of 2.479 in March that year to 3,256 in February this year – a 31 per cent increase.

And I agreed with you there actually is supports for rough sleepers but it's very complex and only wanted to point out the 91 number you pointed to was not the full story, I'm not trying to argue with you , I happen to have a little insight into the homeless situation, not expertise but through volunteering and keep abreast of the situation more closely than others might.

I will, I have no faith in the system, only a fool would, time and time again consecutive

governments have failed us, failures that could have been successes, this tells me and

should tell anyone with a brain not to trust these clowns, their figures or their media

campaingns in support of how well they have done, everything they say is adjusted to

support their claims, and until people wise up and get rid of them nothing will change.

In a nut shell, their deeds speak for themselves.

• Advertisement

Actually every form I get to fill in wants me to provide proof of address, so what is

the use of a free postal address that categorically states its not proof of address

What am I a homeless person supposed to do now, no proof of address means I

can not fill out the application forms for support.

Its right there on the an post application form, Second line from the bottom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement