Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

LBP was the best case scenario for us I feel before the game so it’s kind of nice to feel disappointed that we didn’t manage to win it in the end. Clearly stayed in it and Sharks can feel very lucky (and that South African podcast/ YT channel about Leinster disrespecting the league can keep their opinions to themselves in future…)

I thought it was a very tricky game to ref and in the circumstances I thought the ref did ok. A good not a great performance with some dodgy calls is par for the course in this league mostly. The URC head of refs (a South African….) will need to take action on these TMOs though. 2 shocking and high profile incidents between us and Ulster now. It’s a very bad look.

Given the complete lack of experience we had in parts going against a grizzled and motivated South African team at home including world cup winners I thought we did very well and have to say I’m proud to be a Leinster fan seeing how these guys fronted up.

John McKee was very good and will do his chances at a senior contact no harm vs Barron given they’re essentially vying for the same spot. Busy player with good dog about him and a solid throw that needs as much work as you’d expect from a hooker his age. If Barron wants to make it he’s going to have to get some size on. Even for an academy player I thought he was incredibly undersized.

Been said a lot but Dunne was impressive. I lamented that a man of his size should be imposing himself and really getting himself about the pitch. He did this in spades yesterday and Rob Baxter should be smiling that he’s gotten a very good deal on a very good second row. Hopefully he can string more performances like that.

Max Deegan is proving to be a source of frustration for me at times. A few seasons ago he was neck and neck with Doris for the starting Leinster XV. With 83 caps and the natural ability he has as a player he needs to step up and be a bit more talismanic. His stats have been good this season (close to top of leaderboard for tries, carries and successful carries) but I feel he needs to be more imposing in games of this type. 

I thought Tommy was mixed myself. What he does well he does extremely well and did so. But was the source of some sloppy play and penalties. But it was good to see a hardy bastard side of him. He’s a quiet guy and kind of gets about his business and goes on to the next thing. So it was nice to see him step up and bring a bit of edge to proceedings.

On to next week. I vote caution to the wind!! We need 1 more point from 2 games to be guaranteed top spot (unless we manage to throw away a 130 point difference…) So let’s go out this weekend and sling the ball about and jouer. We might concede 10. But we only need 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Selection will be interesting. Will Deegan and Harry Byrne be available? Will some of the frontliners head home early to prepare for Leicester? Is Tracy even on tour? Why was Barron brought in when Kelleher pulled out instead of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

What stands out to me about Osborne is his ability to put players he's passing to in as much space as possible by running lines that draw the defender and then passing at exactly the right time. He did it really well for ROL's break down the left before O'Brien got penalised for the high tackle. Not everyone has draw and pass instincts as good as him.

I think next week could be very tough. Stormers are a stronger counter attacking team and that's where we looked vulnerable. I also wonder what kind of team we're going to be able to field.

On a separate note - I was disappointed with how the game ended on Saturday. I'm not sure how I feel about the drop out when the ball is held up over the line generally, but I don't think it should result in full time if over the 80 as I think that is harsh on the attacking team. If the kicking team puts the ball out that should result in a line out and otherwise the game should play on otherwise if the fielding team regathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

It should have been a pen to Leinster anyway that last "tackle" just wasn't a tackle just dived headfirst no arms into the space

The whole dropout is there to reward the defending team, I'm pretty sure before the law change held up would still result in game over as it was a scrum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I also wonder what kind of team we're going to be able to field.

I hope that Kelleher, Porter, Alaalatoa and Frawley are already on their way home...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Looks like Kelleher was rushed back to face Connacht. Crazy decision when you look back at the result.

I think you're reaching a fair amount there. He was injured in training in South Africa not in the game against Connacht.

We don't know the full extent of Kellehers injury but he was always going to be flying home this week regardless of if he was fit to play. Same with Porter.

These lads needed game time before the pointy end of the season.

I'd be absolutely certain that Kelleher could have played at the weekend but there was no point risking him ahead of potentially 6 weeks of knock out rugby in a row

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no, it doesnt look like he was "rushed back" for anything.

he played 50 good uninterrupted minutes against connacht, was fit enough to fly to SA, and be named in the starting team versus the sharks to get his match fitness up, and picked up a minor injury in training.

If he "was rushed back against connacht", he would have suffered the injury whilst play against connacht.

you dont seem to understand how professional rugby works

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

From today's Leinster injury update: Kelleher had a minor shoulder knock and is already on the way back to Dublin. Tracy didn't play at the weekend as he was injured in training. Deegan picked up a shoulder injury and will.be assessed later in the week.

Better news on Baird however. He's moved up a level in his rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lee Barron is a young ,1st year academy player. He's going to grow physically in the coming years. McKie played well, delighted for him. We are loaded at hooker, it seems.

It was a good result! Lot's to take from it. Even the errors and getting sliced in open play are good beginnings for players like Cosgrave.

I think Dunne leaving will be a mistake. I don't know how high his ceiling is, but he's certainly capable of being a solid 2nd row. I think Deeny will be a decent player for us and he should see minutes this week.

Is HB carrying an injury? Why was Frawley taking the kick? If he is injured, I would assume that Hawkshaw will start this week.

I reckon a beaten is coming this week. The kicking plan must change. Stormers are a good counter attacking team. It's a cauldron to blood new lads and getting a taste of this level of rugby will make them hungry for more. It used to be we'd cap young players against the minnows! These poor boys are being tossed into the furnace. Leo is some man for bringing them in at this time.

I hope to see Milne play this week. He's really been bolloxed with his calf injury. Munster will probably beat Cardiff comfortably and close the gap. Ulster have a tough outing against Edinburgh. We just need a point! It would be mad if the boys got it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Wouldnt see any reason to worry about Frawley kicking over HB. Does it matter? The 10 doesnt have to kick.

Dunne is getting a good opportunity with a very good team. Wouldnt worry about him leaving.

I just think that HB isn't fully fit. Maybe he is and Frawley just was better beforehand. I hope HB gets another runout this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

What we don't know is whether Dunne decided to go to Exeter on his own initiative. If so, it's not a mistake on Leinster's part. If it had been up to me, he would stay (or go west)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The Irish obsession that the no.10 must kick is just bizarre. No other nation is like this. Frawley was kicking because he's a very good goal kicker. I have no idea why people are making a thing about it.

I saw a comment on the 42 (yes, I know, I know) saying "if Frawley is kicking why don't Leinster play him at 10?" which tells you all you need to know. Irish people seem to think that the out-half must kick the same way a hooker throws or a scrum half feeds the scrum. We need to get over this.

It also really annoys me when people say "player X isn't a good out half because his goal kicking stats aren't the best". Being an out half and being a goal kicker are two completely separate roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

To be fair a few people posting that online doesn’t mean Irish people think that, it means those few people think that. The issue with the kicker is if it’s for a team that doesn’t have another kicker starting then they either have to pick a 10 that kicks or someone else that kicks, we don’t have many of the someone else’s, there’s a handful but not many do it regularly. Currently nearly all our regular kickers in the provinces are 10s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I couldn't agree more. The idea of cross-referencing the rest of the no.10 jobs with goal kicking (a totally unrelated skill) is madness. The players with a good goal kicking skills should be encouraged to train as goal kickers and they should know who the best options are, in order.

Drives me cracked when they want a hooker to throw when there's absolutely nothing about being a good hooker that lends itself to throwing. They could be good lifters, or even a jumping option in the case of a tall hooker like Dan Sheehan, but that's absolutely unthinkable in the current setup.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭durthacht

In fairness, I don't ever recall Frawley kicking ahead of either Byrne when either of them have been on the pitch. HB has had an awful lot of injuries, was under-whelming in his first game back, and left the kicking to someone else when he has to date always been a primary goalkicker - so it's reasonable to wonder if he is still impaired by his many injuries. I haven't seen anyone obsessing that the fly half should always kick.

I don't ever recall Frawley kicking ahead of either Byrne when either of them have been on the pitch.

He has

I'm not fixated on a 10 taking the kicks. HB normally does when he plays! Frawley does not.

• Advertisement

Leamy off to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just read that, he didn't have a very high profile so honestly no idea how much of a loss it is. Makes sense for him I guess, potentially taking some institutional knowledge with him. I think Munster will be in a much better place next season.

Yep! I think Munster are on the way up. A new coaching team and some fantastic young players. Wonder who will replace Leamy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

has that been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not officially but seems to have a lot of general consensus that it is happening. Sounds like a safe bet.

Leamy could be a loss.

A huge part of what makes Leinster good right now is how fast our ruck ball is. One might think that fast ruck ball is just down to good clear outs, but actually a huge part of it is body positioning in contact and being able to manipulate the tackle area so you're taking contact on your terms and thus you can fall in a position so that you're not exposed to a jackal and can perform an effective placement and the ball is there to be played quickly.

Given the prominence of the jackal in the modern game, having a dedicated contact skills coach will become common practice IMO, and judging by the quality of the ruck ball we've been getting this season, Leamy would appear to be doing a good job. You'd hope we've got a good replacement lined up should he go.

I think its good for Munster that they got one of their own back into the coaching structure. Could be a loss for us. I was thinking that Munster would have tried to bring back Coughlin. Maybe they still will.

But the quality coming up in Munster is brilliant. They will be formidable and the gap will close, imo. When Casey, Ahern, Hodnett etc are regularly playing they will be a better team.

I reckon they have players as good or better than we do. But, this year's academy intake for us should be strong. Munster didn't have many involved for the u20's. Great days ahead, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, if that’s his responsibility he’s done it well. It’s a big part of what Joe brought to Leinster and Irl and Ruck speed has definitely been part of recent Irish success too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"I reckon [Munster] have players as good or better than we do."

Really? I'm a pretty optimistic Munster fan at the best of times, but I don't see it tbh. The gap in the front-row alone is huge, imo. I do wonder could the gap close when Sexton retires, but we've also regularly seen RB steer Leinster to victories between the teams.

(As an aside, it always gives me a chuckle when someone on a build-up thread declares Munster the favourites in a match v Leinster, when they haven't been in years).

Having said that, I do think Munster have a really promising young cohort coming through, so it is encouraging.

Advertisement