Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

Well I firmly believe in God, don't rub it in other peoples faces,

but the way our so called government is pushing God out of the conversation

is just wrong, people can believe in what they want, I want to be one of them people

and not pushed out to make room for others, that is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I did not see you in any rush to contradict a poster who made the claim that we as a country do nothing to help rough sleepers.

Instead you jumped onto my post instead with your "stats"

Quoting rubbish from the guy who wanted to scare nurses during the pandemic as fact. No surprise why you didn't post a source to your figure's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Now your being silly , the stats are correct as painful as that may be to you.

Paddy cosgrave may have jumped on these figures , he's not alone and personally I've little time for him.

Anyway my points be made that's all I have say on the matter

My actual source was

But there many many more , using Manchester as a comparison only served to prove how shocking the numbers were .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

No, its a nightmare for a homeless Irish person to get benefits, and a place to stay,

its multitudes easier for a Ukrainian person who comes here.

I will also add I have no issues with Ukrainian people coming to Ireland, they are facing pure

torture from the evil poo tin, who I hope is taken off the face of the earth sooner rather than later.

My issue is with the Irish governments inability to deal with our own housing crisis, our own

health care crisis, and their two tier system, one for them and their friends, and another for

the rest of us, its clear that the poorer you are in Ireland the less they care about you and the less they will do to provide for you, this has been going on for decades and decades, look at how the state tried to cover up the Tuam baby murders, and only recently tried to bury the report into the selling of children to the wealthy, clerical sex abuse, and also keep people in the dark as to who their parents were when they sold them on.

My issue is with how the Irish are treated by the Irish Government.

Can you link to where you got them figures from? I can only see them from a troll who likes to scare nurses during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭17hmr1

Just did anticipated you'll be looking for it but you responded before I attached link its only one of numerous reports on the matter, good night

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They already have, if very quietly, so quietly blink and you'd miss it. The Times poll of the Irish Peeeple showed just over half of us would welcome refugees into our homes, if we had the room. AKA we'd like to help, but, y'know.... Which also shows the rest, just under half of us wouldn't welcome them into our homes whether we have the room or not. If those isloated from consequence pricks in the government and civil service try to force us they'll be in for a shock. The kneejerk warm fuzzies are fast wearing off and shíte like that will cool them off even more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Your link clearly shows the majority that died were living in accommodation not on the streets.

Total misleading headline that Paddy has twisted.

Like are we blaming the government now for people who die while living in a house or apartment etc????

The “soup kitchens “ and other charities will have informed them.

Ah here calm down.

Noone is coming to your door to force you to take in refugees!!

You can put the pitch fork away….

A he who I ignore , take a look at just one link to the figures, there are many more. The figures are 100% correct .

You posted your "information" here as fact based on a social media troll tweet who used the pandemic to scare healthcare workers?

Back to the topic i'm sure you can agree what An Post did was a great help to the tiny number of rough sleepers we unfortunately have have 3 years ago.

What part of homeless do you not understand, do you seriously classify a rough sleeper having an occasional bed in a shelter or hostel suddenly being housed 😳 seriously, words escape me .

“Homeless deaths in 2021 in two European cities of a similar size:

Manchester, England: 17.

Dublin, Ireland: 115.”

How many non homeless people died in the same period? People die. Nothing surer. Doesn’t matter where they live.

No I did not , I quotes numbers and explained I used Manchester as a comparison as it graphically illustrated the issue. You may not like cosgrave, I don't particularly either but he's not incorrect in his comparison.

But sure people die every day.

Just because they are registered as homeless doesn’t make it any more sad.

They died in accommodation like most people.

Or are you saying they died because they are homeless????

What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

McEntee doesn't seem to realise (unsurprisingly) that some of the biggest landlords and property owners are actual members/voters of the very political party she fell into. She wants to go down the forced requisition route, she is going to find herself quickly out the door of that gang, and not very highly likely to get into the door of another one. Here is the calibre of political "intellect" concerning our current Minister for Justice.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Cannot dispute facts, eh? People die every day. Doesn’t matter if they’re a prince or a pauper, homeless or not.

Quoting PC isn’t very reliable.

You basically retweeted Cosgrave. Show me where you backed anything up. You posted word from word from that troll.

Tbf they were kiteflying suspending property rights to assist house refugees

Its not an unreasonable interpetation of whats put forward

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

So, you have mis quoted the figures for Dublin.

Any source for the figures for Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

After seeing people bend over already when their rights were trampled on with covid, I'd be more sure the majority will buy the lube and bend over willingly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Holiday homes, private property, that Irish people bought and paid for or are paying for and being taxed throughout are talked about being used to house refugees. From McEntee's own lips: the Government will avoid, if possible, forcing people or businesses to give up property or open their homes to Ukrainian refugees.

If possible eh? Ah well that's lovely. Well given the absolute shítshow mess these muppets who promised the earth and our roofs to these refugees and who can't fulfill that promise and are seeing that already, though any moron with a braincell to rub together could see that problem out of the gate, how are they going to come up with the housing? Magic and feelz? How are they, oh sorry we, going to pay for all that? Magic and feelz? How are we going to solve the housing crisis that was headline news three months ago? Magic and feelz? How are we going to solve the healthcare crisis that was headline news three months ago and for decades beforehand? Magic and feelz? Taking over sports halls and hotels is a very short term step and an expensive one. How do we sustain that in six months, a year, or more? And with no caps on the numbers?

It sure as hell won't be an empty head like McEntee who'll have to deal with this personally. The same McEntee who was all gung ho in her twitter tik tok emotionals about opening her home, a home larger than the majority of Irish people, to refugees and then thought better of it, with an excuse lamer than a three legged horse. G'way to fúck with you and yours in government MceEntee.

I'm not picking up the pitchfork, but Im making sure it's good and sharp.

Which is why if push does come to shove she and her political cronies won't go after those landlords and property owners. Who does that leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah, that would leave all of us, including anybody like myself that has my own place bought and paid for, open to a forced requisition of private property by regime order. But, if this 'limitless' number of people influx comes to a reality, like our Taoiseach has already stated that this will be the case, then there is no way that the regime here cannot go for the landlords and multi-property owners that exist within their own circle and voter-base. The number of their properties are too great. I do work for three extreme FG fanboy's, all members, all landlords, all have numerous properties, either out for rent or left in situ. If McEntee and her colleagues go for the likes of those properties (and with a 'limitless' number they will have to do so) those people will literally go back into good old fashioned blueshirt mode and tool up rather than hand over anything to anybody. There are thousands of FG'ers like these guys. This is what this young lady doesn't understand. She wants to virtue signal for the feels of the immediate minute. She has no idea what she is getting into, because she is going to have to deal with an anger and resentment that exists within her political circle that harkens back to a time when blueshirts were actual blueshirts, and not within this new 3 minute microwaved virtue signalling world she thinks is the only world that exists now.

I agree with you W about burning my own house down before I'll let any fools arse try to demand what I do with my own sanctuary. I have a nice canvas tent, I don't mind living in one. All I need are my books and a german lamplight to read them. I have ample supply of both. Anybody is welcome to come live with me in that if they wish, including McEntee, who probably should read more books anyways.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

Minority humanoids who stay silent in the face of majority opinion because they have nothing to say...see an opportunity to jump on some guy because some number is 52 instead of 79 because they've got f**k all else to hang their inferior ideas upon.

It's like watching a person picking through the vomit of their repertoire for a bit of carrot.

"LoOk At mY vOmiT CaRroT, tHerEfore InfiNiTe ImmiGRants bE GooD, duR Dur!"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not at the moment but is it unreasonable that people are concerned that it could become a ‘thing’… given the rhetoric we’ve been exposed to from McEntee and others ….