Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Thanks Deezell. Yeah that would put me off alright regarding the husqvarna. Any side discharge mowers you'd recommend?

Total newbie to all this as current ride on mower came with the house and was on it's last legs. Got 3 years out of it so not to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

Let's see what side discharge/mulcher users out there think. They operate differently, different blades, often not contra rotating, so a different beast, but made for the job

They're not a big seller here, most people buy baggers, commercial users would go for zero turn in a non collector mower. Stiga have always had a range of lawn tractors, a term used to describe non collector front engine ride ons. This one good enough for a half acre. Side discharge with optional mulch cap.

https://monaghanhire.com/products/stiga-estate398h-tractor-mower

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Bedouin79

Lads I’ve inherited a John Deere R43 any thoughts opinions things to look out for. I’ve a robot so I’ll be using it mainly for tidying up and the off once a month cut to level it all out. I miss the stripes now and then.

5.5 hp on a light composite small 17" deck. Big engine small cut, so it will eat rough, wet, long grass. Like a 4 wheeled powerful strimmer. Expensive when new, €700? A trophy mower for a small garden, nice to get it gifted, I can't imagine buying one.

• Advertisement

A four wheeled strimmer is a great way to sum it up. It’s been great to tidy up the garden. Any tips to maintaining the deck and mower. It came with the mulch plug and blades only downside was now throttle so one speed only. €700 new crikey you’d be mad to buy that.

thanks for the info dezzell

Owners of 'Deeres' don't see price, just the brand. I've seen an oldish UK rrp list price for the version with variable speed, whopping €820 when you convert to € and 23% vat. Its only an (overpowered) domestic mower for a small garden, but I've noticed in the states they think nothing of thrusting a mower into tall grass, rushes, creepers, briars, tree branches etc. Probably lift it up and trim the hedge.

Just keep deck cleaned, it can't rust, check oil, run petrol out before winter storage, plus a spray of wd40 over everything and wipe down.

FYI, mowers with single speed throttle are that way to conform to emissions regulations, in California and maybe now EU. Preventing low speed running or higher speeds means engine is emissions optimised for a single speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my Box Full 'Beeper' isn't working on my castlegarden is it a quick fix? everything seems to connected😶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Bought a mccullough m51 Honda powered mower 3 years ago for €399. It's done a good bit of work in 2020 and 2021 especially. Overall great mower. Starts on the button, seems easy on petrol, very easy clean and super manoeuvrable.

Fast forward to start of 4th season and rust has just set in on the deck. Quiet bad in spots up in the top part of deck. Luckily I had treated the deck with two coats of anti rust paint before it got going and I think that has helped.

Today I cleaned down the entire deck and reapplied another coat of anti rust paint to virgin steel... Amazed how much of original paint has come clean off the deck.

Anyway thanks to the advice of deezell.

Is the detector lever still intact, not bent, jammed or broken off? You should hear the microswitch click when you move it.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

First time poster here, so hello everybody. :-)

Struggling to find if the question I have has ever been answered, so apologies if it has.

I have approx 5.000 sq. m of lawn, and I use ride-on, while ms jou on the same time cuts awkward/hard to reach spots with our 10 years old self propelled gardencare mower.

The problem is we're both getting older (obviously!) and now, any time she has to stop and restart, I have to stop my part of the job to pull the cord on the small mower as herself is unable to.

The question is - anyone ever tried to retrofit electric starter (from B&S 675IS engine) to B&S 675 engine? Guessing from series no. it would not be a rocket science, but open to corrections.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

My Cobra MX515 electric start has the 675i engine, I've had the entire electric start system from motor to battery to push switch apart trying to trace a persistent starting disconnect which defied signal tracing, I solved it eventually, multiple push fit connectors were introducing a significant voltage on the ground return line when attempting to crank, which raised the starting ground signal to the Lipo battery internal relay and cut the starting current. Herself going nuts, mower going thunk, thunk in a series of short bursts of the starter mower. Really rubbish push fit connector the problem, I manually strapped the earth line. This info just a preamble, as I bought this mower precisely for your reasons. So, what would you need.

Starter assembly €95

Battery and charger €140

Mower Battery casing. €30?

Push switch €25?

Stop lever additional interlock relay ?

Top flywheel internal ring gear? €80?

You can see how this project cost could run away from you. At the minimum you'd need the starter assembly (more complex than just the motor, the bendix is separate, on a sub frame geared to the motor), possibly a ring gear or even a change of flywheel if the ring gear is moulded into it, and not a bolt on. After that you could rig a push switch and a small gel or €50 lead acid battery to spin it. The interlock relay is part of the ignition switch assembly, connected by the handle cable. Its purpose is to prevent you starting the mower without this lever pressed, but more importantly, without the engine brake disengaged. I broke one of the spade connectors to this microswitch ( it was constantly being pulled off by twigs when mowing next to hedges). The entire assembly was steep price to buy, so I drilled out the rivets and put a standard RS microswitch in its place, bending the lever to match. You could live without this part also.

I wouldn't consider it viable on a ten year old machine. There are a few electric start machines out there, Cobra have some economy models in 19" and 21" cut as well as the alloy deck MX515. https://www.irishmowers.com/cobra-lawnmowers.html

You have three choices outside if the diy route.

1. Buy a new electric start mower.

2. Buy a higher powered cordless battery mower, Ego, Cobra etc.

3. Buy an easy start mower. Some walk behind engines have a decompress mechanism built in which makes pulling easy, the full compression is restored when the engine spins up to speed. I can't say for certain which models may have this, some Honda engines are advertised as easy start, maybe some B&S. It's common in ride on engines and bigger pulls starts. It fails in many if them too, making starting difficult like if the battery is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thank you, you just successfully discouraged me off my ideas. ;-)

Especially seeing 675IS powered 2nd hand mowers at around 400 quid on Adverts. I may go for engine swap instead, especially gardencare we use has decent, 56 cm wide deck. :-)

Possibly the widest deck out there. Electric start mowers seem to be in the 45-51 cm range, though castelgarden did one at 53, but with a steel deck. Holy grail to me was greater than 50cm, electric start and alloy deck. The Cobra materials quality is only average. Excellent engine and alloy deck, but wheels a little soggy, though with replaceable bearings, handle and levers are fairly generic, and I've replaced three cables to date.

Another option is a machine with a clutch drive, you might find a serviceable used Honda out there. You only have to start once, blade stops and engine ticks over while emptying the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Have half acre lawn to cut, getting rid of the Castle garden 40inch ride on for a number of reasons and looking at a 21 inch Weibang walk behind.

My question is whether to go for the commercial or domestic. Both seem to have same engine. Commercial is shaft drive, alloy deck with 2 year warranty and cost e1149. Domestic is steel deck, 5 year warranty and e749. What's the advantage of a Commercial to someone like me cutting a half acre once a week?

Post edited by Teebor15 on

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi all

Looking to trade in a ride on (PR170HD reasonably good condition) for a new one. Based in carlow but was looking for recommended dealers that take trade ins

pref in Carlow/Kilkenny/Kildare but anywhere in Leinster either

J

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

And recommendations for a cordless push mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You needn't stay the close to home, I did a trade in with Monaghan Plant Hire and I'm in Waterford.

Your new machine comes on a pallet and you put your old one on the pallet and they get it picked up by the same delivery firm that delivered it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Thanks for that - what about trade in value - I assume they give you a figure based on pictures.

Query for anyone with expertise out there. Stihl STIHL RT5112.1 (4300) or Honday HF2417?

Thats how they did it for me. They grossly overestimated the value of my old machine even though I told them everything that was wrong with it. iirc it got me €5-700 off an already discounted new machine. Only problem was they had promised me some free extras which they didn't have in stock and I never heard from them again once they got my old mower. Even without them it was a very good deal.

Apart from €500 difference for the Honda, both are solid machines, Stihl has the build quality of its Viking predecessor. Stihl has an extra 8cm cut, the Honda claims an extra 0.7 kw, about 1 hp, from it's smaller displacement engine. Stihl has a comprehensive led display, the Honda has a colour version.

The Honda has an ace in the lever operated mulch function, no fitting of mulch plugs, but the Stihl comes with a towbar as standard. How to choose? Value for money, bang for your buck, residual value in ten years, it might come down to the armrests on the Honda, or the two beer can holders on the Stihl.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Could also come down to which you can get hold off first. I've been trying to get the Stihl 5112Z, not a single one in stock in the country it seems. Tried about 8 different retailers who all had it listed on their websites as in stock but when I phoned them turned out none of them had it. Have one on pre-order now and supposed to be due in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 feckwunker

Hi all,

Sitting on an acre with about 1/2 of it lawn and looking to get something to reduce the time I have to spend cutting the grass. Ride on not an option due to weak wooden bridge to has to be crossed and the lawns are broken up into 5 separate areas so I wouldn't get the benefit from it.

I was thinking of a Toro Timemaster (pull start - not electric). The twin blades and wide decks really appeal to be and will surely reduce cutting time. The mulching ability is handy too. Can anyone recommend any other similar mowers (preferably cheaper!) or equivalent machinery with wide decks? Cheers.

Thanks for replies all - seems the country has no Stihls in stock for the moment - may wait

a couple of weeks to see if they come into stock. While I'm here was is the difference between

the 5097 and 5112 - all I can see is a smaller grass collection box. Not sure if an extra 100lts is worth

500 assuming I can get either.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As far as I remember the 5097 is a smaller engine.

Edit: Just checked there and 5112 is 23hp versus the 5097's 18hp. I need the bigger engine for mowing slopes and for some towing but you may not need that.

5097 is a 95cm cut, 37.5 inches , the 5112 has a 112cm cut. 5097 deck is non synchronous, using a serpentine v belt. The blades' radii don't overlap like the synchronous deck of the 5112, which uses a toothed timing belt. Consequently, in order to overlap the cut width of each blade without the blades banging off each other, the non synchronous deck has one blade ahead of the other, to allow their forward widths to overlap slightly but not interlace. The latter uses a long double sided V belt, which requires more frequent replacement than the flat toothed timing belt. Its cut pattern is offset also.

Finally, the 5097 does not afaik have the lcd display screen

• Advertisement

You can tow with a couple of horsepower. I used to tow massive trailers full of sand (about a tonne) with little old 8HP John Deere. What makes a bigger difference is tyre type/diameter and the weight of the lawn tractor. If towing on a slope hydrostatic as most lawn tractors are now is a massive improvement on gears. Try changing gear on a slope with a tonne of sand behind you :-(

Advertisement