Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when politicians are selected based solely on name recognition, gender, age, and "social media yoof appeal" rather than competence, experience, and a track record in anything outside of party politics.

I've said it before but there's a very good reason why FG are historically never elected as anything other than a protest vote, and then only until they remind everyone why that is - because they prove to be actually even WORSE than FF in the end!

McEntee is a prime example of Leo's "new FG" - all spin and no substance, great for a soundbite - generally about someone else's brief - but does nothing in their own, and more concerned about their twitter profile, populist trend chasing, and how it'll affect their long term career bucket list over all other matters! She's not the only one mind. Leo himself is a master at it. Look how many actually rate the guy's performance over the last couple of years!

It's bad enough that McEntee has made it as far as she has, but the occasional mutterings in the media that she could be a future leader of the party and even Taoiseach is a sincerely scary concept for the welfare of this country.

Um, a little problem with all of that. Time and time again, both in this country and abroad in other western nations, a minority has fairly often forced change on the majority, or implemented change without the majority realising in time that it's happening. It's one of the reasons that internet activism is so popular.. small numbers, big voices, invariably backed by the media, and then, the politicians... enforce change on others.

Other groups have been paying attention to what went before, and will try to do the same.

As for infinite immigrants, it has a shelf life. Neither the economy nor society can handle an infinite number, and eventually, the politicians will be forced to recognise that. Naturally, it'll be too late to save the good aspects of living in Ireland, but it'll come to a stop at some point. And then we'll have to deal with the wide range of social issues, or simply defer them to the next generation (as we've nearly always done before), while the country goes downhill fast.

I suspect your minority/majority views are inaccurate in any case. Most Irish people are simply unaware of the effects of mass immigration, multiculturalism, and the problems associated with such diverse ethnic/cultural populations. We don't exactly have the politics willing to talk about it honestly, nor do we have a media willing to put aside their agenda in promoting it, so, most people are fairly oblivious to the coming problems (apart from the problems already here, and it's iffy how aware they really are of them). So, it's really minorities pushing from either side, whether that's pro/anti.

she is justice minister but dosnt understand the law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Indeed. The caliber of public representatives in Ireland is utterly depressing. Coveney, a disciple of the Godfather of globalization, leaky Leo, who thinks he’s on the set of ‘Love Actually’, and now this platypus-faced idiot, who is ostensibly the minister for justice, who believes this country can absorb an unlimited number of refugees. Not in her gaff of course.

The country is simply crying out for a center right party, that’s fiscally responsible, rewards hard work, and treats the Irish electorate with some dignity. The Irish are mostly a fine people and deserve so much better than this shower of incompetents. What’s that alternative? The political wing of a paramilitary organization, hard left nut jobs who never outgrew student politics or a tiny far right bunch of loons.

Utterly, utterly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

A few wires crossed here, I think.

In this specific instance, anecdotally and otherwise, I think it's fair to say that the majority opinion is that no, unlimited numbers of ukranian refugees is not a good idea.

More broadly speaking, minority imposition of rule has of course been around a long time. At the risk of sounding prophetic, I think this time it's different. The very ideas of these minority lead movements are, actually, forming and concentrating a majority move against them. It is becoming easier and easier to distinguish who is who (for instance an entire voting blocks worth of ukrainians are certainly distinguishable from Irish people, and so on), and while this country goes down the drain for the majority of Irish people, it will only weld them together in solidarity.

It's everywhere. The momentum is building against the infantilism and destruction brought by these minority ideas. Now let me stick my neck out even further, the changes coming are going to be history-making, very long term.

One tiny example, all nitty gritty aside, were the recent french elections. Macron won, yes, but only because he was backed by the older generations. The younger population of France is changing rapidly and forming up, concentrating in solidarity, and they backed Le pen.

Click on the graphic below to see the growing difference

The fools that have lead us into the mess we are in have, predictably, created their own downfall. It's in the post.

Ireland's welcome has been worn out. It's pure practicality now, it has nothing to do with outsiders, and everything to do with us. Like many other countries too.

It's funny how certain people love the EU for all the wrong reasons. It'll be double funny when the EU forms into a new cooperative entity that stands for everything they dont. Vive la difference, non?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,121 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And you would think younger people would be more left and older more right. Interesting.

Proof really that Frsnce is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Headlines this morning talking about Darragh O'Brien bringing proposals to allocate vacant social housing to refugees.

There's definitely more going on here than simply charity. Between measures like the above, McEntee suggesting people could be forced to give up property, Eamon Ryan committing to extra public transport for refugees etc, you really need to ask WHY suddenly all these things are now possible when the same Government has been completely unable/unwilling to do anything about these long-standing issues before now.

And fundamentally, you can't escape the inference that these people are being put ahead of the natives and existing citizens we have who are exposed to and struggle with the effects of this inaction every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

It is amazing on a lot of levels to see vacant social housing and empty buildings being used to house Ukrainians while Irish people living homeless on stuck in hap rentals never got the chance but the reason is clear

The home owning majority in Ireland don't actually care about the housing crisis, they view single people stuck renting, families in hotels and homeless people as entitled and don't want them to have affordable housing in Dublin or other cities. They have sympathy for Ukrainians.

This realisation makes me see that until the older generation of home owners die off the younger Irish generation will be stuck renting as nothing will be done to get them a forever home

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jaysus "agents" of the gubberment are going to start calling to people forcing Ukrainians into their spare rooms. 😕

I'd say this place has gone full Daily Mail comment section, but that would be harsh on the Daily Mail.

It must be absolutely exhausting to be constantly self scaring oneself with irrational figments.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yep couldn't agree more

Latest Idea from the Housing Minister

"Builders working over time" 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Deeec

Questions do need to be asked to our government. It seems that when what they deem an emergency happens they can pull out all the stops. Housing for Irish homeless and helping the Irish working poor doesn't seem to be on their agenda at all.

😂😂 He obviously doesn't think they already are doing overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

We should look to take in some of the injured Ukrainian soldiers. The Government might actually try to fix our health service then.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Sein Fein need to come out and say we need a cap. Leo and Mcentee are only thinking about their jobs in the EU when they are voted out. The opposition need to stand up and be counted. Enough of this liberal rainbow unicorn shi*te. Twill be grand sur.

It’s amazing, most on this thread have predicted catastrophe for weeks now in terms of this sh1t show by the government. I hope word gets out to Ukrainians that Ireland can’t really cope with vast numbers so better look elsewhere for refuge.

It’s not just today or tomorrow either- 6 months on, when generous people who have opened their doors to a few refugees, just can’t cope anymore, be it financially or personally, there will be a second re homing crisis emerge.

I don’t completely blame the government as it’s an enormous task, but they’ve played down too much the complexity of it all - the generosity of Irish households is not limitless so government has to have a plan b for later in the year as there will definitely be both Ukrainians and Irish not happy with the living arrangements

It shows how disconnected he is with reality. Most builders would already work overtime. Maybe the minister wants builders to work during the night but he doesn't get that overtime drives up costs which probably would be counterproductive.

once word gets out about our generous social welfare systems, more will come

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder when we will see the first legal actions from people in dp demanding their council houses being they were here first

Perhaps he'll call in Bob The Builder for advice 😏 O Brien is full of Bluster , always waiting for reports, consultations and rarely capable of actually making a decision.

• Advertisement

with all respect Johnboy92 that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! I am 60 and own my house but I am furious at what is going on in this country now. This Government are a shambles, dithering and making excuses for years about the housing crisis, letting mothers with little kids live for years in hotel rooms without even a way of cooking their kids a meal. A blind eye has been turned to this for years, brushed under the carpet, likewise with homeless people on streets, often dying in doorways. But this class of people were to be pitied or classed as addicts, long term unemployed coming from generations of the same, coming from disadvantaged areas, i.e. beneath us, not worth thinking about or caring about enough to fix the system!!

Fast forward to April 2022 when the doors of Ireland are flung open to tens of thousands of Ukranians and they jump the queue, get PPS numbers and medical cards at the airport (almost), given immediate driving licenses within a week , jobs along with social welfare payments , and appear on the Late Late Show! Is this because of what they look like, or because we want to be seen to be the best boys in Europe? When did a young Irish mother stuck in a hotel with her 3 kids share the couch with Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late??

So I feel terribly worried about our own people, upset and furious. If it is any consolation Johnboy92 many of my family and friends feel the same, very few people I know are happy with what is going on right now and the uncapped influx of Ukranians. There is going to be huge divide in Ireland. I have a daughter recently returned from UK due to relationship break up. She is 30, good job, good money but is now back living at home with me. She desperately wants to be independent as she was in London but hasn't a hope of getting a place to rent or buy here. I love her being back in Ireland but for her future I think she should find a better country to settle in even though it would make me very sad. I have worked and paid taxes here all my life and I feel Ireland is changing forever now, it will never go back to what it was. I am almost thinking of leaving this country myself now and finding a small quiet place in Italy or Spain to retire to.

alot of the people in DP will be on the path to citizenship due to Helens amnesty

The reality is, if you want an excuse not to house a refugee you’ll find one- here’s a starter list:

1. I live away from the town/village- they’ll be stuck at home all day (the Helen McEntee excuse)
    2. I only have one living room - we’d be in each other’s way
    3. I have a young family- I need to protect them- I can’t have strangers in my house
    4. we’re thinking of doing renovations to the house over the next year
    5. I can’t afford it AND to have a decent Holliday this year- it’s one or the other and I need a holiday
    6. other people are better placed to take in refugees
    7. I live on my own- they’d be better off with a family
    8. I have a family- they’d be better off with just one person living with them

The list can go on- I think the reality will be those households who are used to taking in say Spanish students for the summer of old, MIGHT be open to taking in one or two people. But there’s probably too many people out there who feel their home is sacrosanct, it’s the only privacy they have and they don’t want to share- and look that’s fine I understand that.

You can’t force people to share their homes with others- the mistake the government made from day 1, was thinking the public would solve this problem for them. And as for the leadership qualities show by Helen McEntee? It would have been better she kept her big mouth shut - she’s just inspired a few thousand households to withdraw their offer and save face

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/justice-minister-helen-mcentee-says-shes-now-rethinking-offering-ukrainian-refugee-a-room-in-her-home-41574198.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can’t force people to share their homes with others

When did this happen?

Something to look at property wise is if you give a holiday home or Granny flat up for a Ukrainian the housing situation won't be reviewed until after 6 months which then secures them tenancy rights and registered with the RTB , which means your a landlord with responsibilities including taxes and property repairs and replacing white goods and so on .

Which then means your tied into a long term agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Wouldnt you need to post the definition of homeless in each of those countries to compare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Minister for education has said we could be looking to integrate up to 40,000 Ukrainian school children into our system. As parents are we allowed to be even a little concerned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A carpenter pal of mine was offered a job last year by a contractor working for SDCC, refurbing social houses , mostly 2nd fix carpentry , each house to get, new doors, floors, skirting, architrave, and fit a new kitchen, two man crew, one had to have trade cert, do 1 house per month, I hope there are some Ukrainian trades coming here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement