Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I left the Gaelic Grounds on Saturday night, with very conflicting emotions - so near and yet so far - are we now within one score of Limerick or did we just paper over the cracks - will we come out of Munster or will we falter in our next two Games? Right after a game when you are full of adrenalin and emotion is never a good time to reflect, so 48 hours later my thoughts are as follows:

We went to Limerick, the home of the best team in Ireland by a distance, stayed with them for sixty minutes, got hit with a purple patch (which is what champions do) but came back at them again and might just have scraped a draw. Yes they were without Kyle Hayes, and yes they lost Cian Lynch, but being honest our loss of Daly at full back was probably just as great on the night as it meant a total restructure of our set up, and while Barron battled ably, thought he was a bit off the pace on the night.

On the positive side, we scored two goals, and while one was a 20 meter free, it came because of good agressive play by Kiely,. In acutal fact we had tat least two if not three other good goal chances, where a better final decision or ball could have yielded goals and while Limerick also had a goal chance or two, that is how the game went.

At the end of the day, one hopes we have learned a lot - if we were to meet Limerick again, could we triumph, I would certainly give us a chance, we would need a bit of luck and better performances from some of our bigger names, ,but based on Saturday night, it is smaller margins than ever. Big question now, is can we regroup and beat Cork in Walsh Park, and if necessary get something against Clare in Ennis who looked very impressive yesterday, (all be it against an abject Tipp side). Third place in Munster going through a qualifier could prove a better option than another bruising Munster Final against Limerick!! We have three weeks, and hopefully Daly's injury is only a sprain and not any sort of ligament damage.

Winning an All Ireland is never going to be easy, especially with a side like Limerick in the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

I agree that the loss of Iarlaith Daly changed everything for us defensively. Nobody is going to dominate Gillane for 70 minutes, but Daly certainly looked like he was up to the challenge. The decision to put Prunty on Hegarty and Daly on Gillane was spot on and really shows the calibre of what Cahill and his team bring to the table.

I still think Limerick are hot favourites, but I also think this is the best Waterford team of the modern era and with some adjustments and 70 minutes of complete concentration and commitment, and yes, a bit of luck, it's possible we can overturn Limerick if we get out of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Sure he started it!!!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0307/1284955-daly-waterford-have-best-20-players-in-the-country/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

don't know about that, I don't think anyone else will beat them, but for a close game Kilkenny, Tipp or Galway are all capable of having respectable scoreboards vs Limerick

You are joking right? After Tipps performance yesterday against Clare, Limerick would absolutely destroy them on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

A lot of nonsense talk over the past few weeks about a trilogy with Limerick and pretenders to Limericks throne etc that’s now being used as a stick to beat Waterford, yet none of this hype has come out of the Waterford camp.

Dalo is a good character but a bit of a bluffer if truth be told and a good one to sell column inches and there’s a couple more within our own county fall into that category

Wateford just need to focus on Cork in 3 weeks time and not worry about what’s being said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Daly has had strange views of Waterford for a while. As stated above he started the talk of having a deeper panel than anyone else. And yet after the Wexford, Cork and Tipp games he's been doubting their credentials by suggesting the other team were off the pace.

Personally I disagree with his analysis of the Limerick game, we were well on top for a lot of the first half and didn't take chances that presented. That seems to have been forgotten and the goals we scored are being regarded as late consolation scores. I was of the view that each game lasted 70 mins and a goal was worth the same amount irrespective of when it was scored but I must have been mistaken. Again though as I said previously I'm certainly not taking away from Limerick who were deserving victors.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I don't think I have ever seen such differing views after a game, it is very interesting to see how people view it so differently.

I wouldn't be of the negative view after Saturday night. That is the toughest fixture any county can face right now, the 3 in a row chasing all Ireland champions in their own back yard with a big home crowd there. Of course I am disappointed to lose but I feel we showed enough that we can challenge them later in the year.

The 2 goals being dismissed by others is rubbish too, sure if limerick didn't score 16 points in the second half we would have won!!

I do think the better team won and they have serious players to come back in, there is little doubt that we would have to produce a bigger performance again to beat them should we meet later in the summer. But I believe we have the players and management to produce a huge performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

If Saturday proves anything it's how easily so called pundits are swayed by one game. Daly now saying that we were over hyped another 'podcaster' calling the result a 'significant failure'! and the general narrative being because Limerick were missing a few we should have beat them if we were to prove that we have closed the gap. To come to that conclusion you have to discount the 2 goals we scored and ignore the fact that the game was played in the gaelic grounds- apparently if you score 2 goals when you are 7 points down they dont count or they 'camouflage' the result!

It also requires you to ignore the significance of the Daly injury and the fact that Barron has only played a half of hurling this year. If you are going to point out missing players as relevant then surely it works for both sides!

Prior to Saturday in Limericks last 10 championship matches they won half of them by 10 points or more with an average winning margin of 9 points and an average of goals conceded of 0.7, conceding no goals in half those games. On Saturday they conceded 2 and was (jointly with Galway in 20) their lowest winning margin.

Yes the players missing were a factor but not to the level some are suggesting. The home crowd was a huge advantage to them , that and the fact that the waterford supporters that did travel were strangely subdued.

Not saying we have closed the gap but i think we can close it if we meet again and it is probably a good thing that the hype ( mostly from the outside) has been dampened by this result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You have to remember Limericks absentees had a combined total of around 12 AI medals and 2 player of the year accolades, one of which is current.

That's some absentee list.

Would agree completely about the hype being dampened, it needs to happen.

Although I will say ex Waterford players and managers were responsible for a lot of the hype, not just external sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Is there anywhere to watch the match back? I went onto GAAGO and its not available to watch back in ROI or NI. ( Sorry I am not tech savvy enough to do the VPN thing.

Very very annoying from Sky and the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

Limerick were missing big players but they've won three All-Ireland's in 4 years with largely the same team so any time they're missing players they'll be missing a lot of AI medals!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Have learned from a long way back to ignore pundits generally - Daly, Cusack, Davy, Derek, Liam Sheedy and Co. are basically "spin doctors" designed to create their own agendas - that's their job - but i take no notice of them. For example if you look at last Saturday, if KK had scored those two goals it would have been a case of "you can never write them off" , Cusack was on for years about our failure to score goals stating constantly on about how goals win games, but all of a sudden is is 30 scores vesus 23 - the simple fact is Waterford scored 2 goals when they were 7 points down with 7 minutes plus injury time to go, it wasn't as if Limerick had taken their foot off the pedal. Limerick did respond like true champions they are, but it was noticeable that with the pressure on their shooting became more erratic, and they actually left us in a position where a goal at the death would have resulted in a share of the spoils.

I have said it many a time on this forum, each victory this year will have to be earned, while Clare put Tipp to the sword yesterday, if Tipp had taken their early goal chances it could have been a different story altogether, making most of when you have momentum, is crucial, as Limerick showed on Saturday.

We face a big challenge against Cork, but from day one we were targeting two home wins and possibly taking something from Ennis, getting something in Limerick would have been a massive bonus, getting out with a 3 pt deficit is no mean achievement. Time to refocus and secure a win against Cork and worry about Clare in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork vs Clare next Sunday is a big game for us. it will make the path a little clearer gojng into the final 2 rounds of Munster

No matter the result Cork on the 15th May is a mammoth game for us

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

For some reason Cork v Clare is at 2 next Sunday and clashing with Kilkenny v Galway. No issue with the latter being shown but I'm sure we can all agree that they could have changed the time/date of the other game to show both. Dublin v Wexford in football is being shown on Saturday night......

Think the Cork vs Clare game will be live on GAAgo, could easily throw it on RTE News channel

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Any word on Daly's injury. Looked to be in trouble going off an quiet easily could have been taken off when her 1st went down. Looks like he could be out for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Eddie Brennan is taking a somewhat positive spin on Waterford’s defeat, i.e. saying that Liam Cahill should take a glass half full view.

I’m sure Cahill was feeling an awful lot better this morning than Colm Bonnar.

If I’m not mistaken, that was Waterford’s 5th game in 6 weeks. With the intensity and constant movement in modern hurling, playing games on the trot must be mentally and physically draining (while allowing for the fact that Waterford didn’t burst a gut in the Kilkenny league match, which was the first of those 5 games).

Everyone again now saying that Limerick are unbeatable and that the chasing pack are at at similar level ; at least that takes the pressure off Waterford. The Stats shown above are very revealing ; Limerick just seem to get the basics right more often than other teams (currently) ….. free conversions ; puck outs won ; turnovers. It sounds simple ….. match Limerick at those and you give yourself a good chance.

You could have a scenario where the final group game between Tipp & Cork is a dead rubber for those teams. Waterford had better beat Cork ; otherwise, if we lose then Cork will surely beat a Tipp team with nothing to play for in which case Waterford will need a convincing win in Ennis to keep the show on the road, which is not an attractive proposition at this point. Going back to my earlier point, the 3 week break allows Waterford to refocus, get some injuries sorted and come out all guns blazing on May 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

The sooner we have a whats app group the better !! These long posts are killing me trying to read them 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I’m not sure what your point is, I presume Kiely won’t be asking anyone with a cruciate injury to tog out. Don’t know what Lynch’s injury is but a bad hamstring can be a big problem. My point is that Kiely basically only used two subs given the early injury to Lynch. That is very unusual in this day and age of non stop running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

my point is if we had everyone available we'd have a very strong panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

And if my Aunt had balls etc. The All Ireland is on in about 12 weeks. In a single game in Ennis we lost about 6 players to injury and indiscipline. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone but it is probable that teams will lose more players than anyone will make a miraculous recovery from a cruciate injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Keep your finger on the screen and hold.

The screen will flash when it tries to bring you back up the page but you will stay where you are

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rathmineslad

waterford were very good against the most inform team of last 3 years - physical /fit/ and good play put it up to limerick for 60 minutes and also got goals against a mean defence - cahill and his backroom team must be happy even if the result did not go there way - i think waterford and kilkenny are the two teams who will trouble limerick as waterford have the panel and players and cahill as been a great sucess and no overblown hype which usually follows the team - kilkenny are progressing well and one thing kilkenny never do is quit and i would think limerick would have a fear of them and will want to avenge that all-ireland semi-final defeat in 2019 - clare could throw a spanner in the works yet regarding the munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The Waterford/Limerick game is now available to watch online on Sky Go Catch Up. It wasn't available until today, although the Dublin/Wexford game, which was shown live before the Waterford game, was available to view almost immediately. I don't know who puts these games up on YouTube, but last week's Waterford/Tipp and Limerick/Cork games were put up (full games) within a couple of days, and I presume the Waterford/Limerick game will appear today or tomorrow.

The Clare/Cork game is available on GAA Go in Ireland next Sunday. As far as I can make out, if Clare beat Cork (in Thurles) and Limerick (at home) beat Tipperary the following week (both the likely results based on current form), then if Waterford beat Cork in Walsh Park they will be through to the All-Ireland series regardless of our result against Clare in Ennis, as Cork and Tipp would then have lost three games each. However, the Munster round-robin has a habit of throwing up unexpected results every year.

Best of luck to the Waterford minors who play their Munster semi-final against Limerick in Kilmallock this evening (6.30 pm). This game is available to view on Munster GAA TV (or whatever they call it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I did this for a while and just got sick of doing it, the screen would inevitably “jump” back to the last read post for a split second my finger was off the screen. Took another posters advice and downloaded a different browser (Duck Duck Go) and no issues. Would recommend just doing that.

Big game the weekend between Cork and Clare, after a result comes out of that match the Munster group will be taking a lot of shape. Clare win and they're more or less guaranteed qualification while Cork's hopes would be hanging by a thread. A Cork win would really bust the group wide open. Either way, they (Cork) will come to Walsh Park desperate for a win - whether that's looking for their first win which if they got would put them in a position where they'd have to beat a Tipp side who'll be long gone by then or they'll come to town off the back off beating Clare with their tails up and renewed hope that they'll get out of Munster - something that didn't look possible after their Limerick hiding. Point being that we simply have to bring the intensity and workrate against Cork and get that vital win.

As Giveitfong says above, best of luck to the minors this evening and again for the u20’s tomorrow. Would be great for either or both of them to get a win, we’ll be sick of the sight of that green jersey by the weekend (as well as the road up there) and we could conceivably end up meeting them twice more at senior before the summer is out…

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The sky games don't appear in full on YouTube. If they do they are removed swiftly

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

The Lim/Wat [full game] doesn't seem to be available now, just few minutes highlights plus I dont see the Dublin/Wexford there either

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Minors 2-8 to 0-4 up down in limerick

• Advertisement

Great stuff so far but need to keep concentration. Leads can be quickly eaten into a lot jn this grade

Advertisement