Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covid and cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah I only had it just under 4 weeks ago, and I'm back and forth. I feel nearly fine, but sometimes I just get randomly tired doing very little.

Think leisurely cycling is the only thing for the foreseeable, not that I technically do anything but, but I tend to be out on my own sometimes burying myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am on day four since symptoms started to appear (weds evening); caught it off my parents in law, so i'll be milking that one. last night was the first time it got any worse than light head cold, going into bad head cold territory, but am feeling a little more human now. but i'm well aware this can be a rollercoaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Got it last month and initial rides were very tough (you can see the heartrate and effort on rides that were easy before covid)....Almost back to normal now but still taking it easy not going on over 1000 meter climbs yet ! Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

I can echo the heartrate comments. I caught Covid just over a month ago and the symptoms were mild for the week I spent in isolation. The nasty surprise came when I got back on my bike - my standard group spin was suddenly a big challenge, especially when we started climbing. I was red-lining on what were previously straightforward efforts. Just looking at my heartrate data I can see that I wasn't imagining it, for the first 3 weeks post covid 50% of my 4 hour group spins was spent in threshold. One spin had me in threshold for 60% of the time - I was totally f**ked after it. Last Saturday was the first time I started feeling ok. Hopefully that's the back of it but honestly I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I got covid mid feb. symptoms were very mild, Ive had worse colds since. was testing negative by 4th day, 6th day i decided to go on the turbo easy. felt very normal so i probably didnt go that easy. eased back into normal routine over the next few days.

I then had about two weeks of elevated heart rate, nothing crazy but enough to cause concern. resting seemed 10 beats higher also

i was due a checkup, all was fine by the time I was at the doc. resting he back to where it was. ecg, all perfect so am cracking on now. Obviously I've been very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well my brother had it, also cycles. He had very mild symptoms, was only testing because his partner had it. However, 4 weeks on he his still having the heartrate spikes, especially while climbing. Admittedly he lives somewhere much flatter than Wicklow, but still had it way higher than it should've been up Glenmacnass (so not really a steep one), and spiked enough he stopped a couple of times up luggula. He was fit going in - he generally gets out both days a weekend for 100+ plus a couple of weekday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Any infection in the body will cause heart rate spike, I noticed mine spiking for no apparent reason and a full week later I got a sinus infection, a course of antibiotics and it's back down to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Normally resting heart rate though, I thought? In my brother's case, resting heart rate is back to usual - it's any sort of "effort".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

I tested positive on March 24th. I was just beginning to come right after the Booster in late December (was absolutely floored after that too) and then, bang, floored again.

Didn't get a bad dose of COVID. Sore throat for a day I'd say, but awful fatigue. I could have slept all the hours God gave. A bomb wouldn't wake me. I took 10 full days off the bike and then started training again. 3 weeks done since and almost exclusively with no intensity (bar a 10s sprint away from a sheepdog!!).

HR was absolutely through the roof though, even at low intensity. I've just reset my FTP to 40 watts lower than it was last summer. On Saturday just gone I tried a tempo block session. 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. For the 30 minute on blocks my power was 45 watts lower than a similar session last July and my HR 5 beats higher. It's insane.

But I think now I'm on the road back. My RHR just dropped about 5-6 beats on Sunday morning when compared to the last 4 weeks. In Sunday I did 3hrs 45 endurance (based off new FTP 🙈) and felt good. Started to get tired after 3hrs but while my HR was high it was just a little high and not alarmingly so. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I got it just after Xmas, i wasnt too bad, mild temperatures day 1 and 2 and a very slight sore throat then for about 5 or 6 more days. Took it handy on the bike after resting about 3 or 4 more days but then caught a throat infection which was waaaay worse, that went on about 2 weeks and then got a cold (throat, headache, cough). took about 2 months to finally be rid of everything. I was very phlegmy for about 2.5 months after Covid! Be careful with it, i know a load of people who got sick again, and a few times, in the weeks after!! I lost the guys of 10 weeks training to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm just getting over COVID. I thought it would be a slight head cold. It wasn't for me. It more like a bad dose of the flu. I had to spend a week in bed due to it. I'm still not 100 percent right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I eventually gave in and took a full two weeks off (bar the commute which I aimed to keep my effort really low). Grand most of the time but would get bouts of breathlessness and severe burning sensation in my chest, as well as the odd coughing fit that would knock me over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yesterday was the first day I tested negative but I'm still a little stuffy and phlegmy so will wait another day or so before getting back on the bike.

Advertisement