Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So how come these real people aren't going to shows now? They're running the O2 in London on Friday and even with the top closed off there's plenty of seats left? When was the last time anything WWE did sold out? AEW are barely selling out ppvs, NJPW are struggling well (because the next step in the "real world" argument is WWE Vs everyone distraction), across the Indy scene numbers are down.

Wrestling is currently in a down swing, it happens, it's happened 3 times in the years I've been watching, but apparently there's a secret offline cult of wrestling fans who've been waiting for a show in Cardiff to launch the next boom.

At least as a main event level talent, I love the idea of Brandon cutler still being there in 20 years, still jobbing on dark and calling everyone kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Maybe just Brandon is the only exception. But for real, nobody needs to see the same guy in the same environment for that long.

I was only thinking this myself. The best thing that could happen is people go back and forth between AEW and WWE to keep things fresh. Or even go to NJPW, Impact etc for a few years.

I could be out by a few years on some of these but I was thinking of who's on the WWE roster these days and how long they've been on the roster. I think it's around..

Orton - 20 years, Miz - 15 years, Ziggler - 15 years, Kofi - 15 years, R truth - 15 years, Sheamus - 12 years, Rollins and Reigns - 10 years, Usos - 10 years. Even the like of Owens, Zayn and Balor must be coming up to 7 or 8 years at this stage.

I'm sure there's others I can't think of off the top of my head but for me for a few of the ones mentioned above, that's far too long to be on WWE TV consistently. I look at Moxley, even being away for 3 years, if he returned to WWE tomorrow it would have done him the world of good being away for the last few years and coming back in fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It's one of the better things about AEW I think. Constant roster refreshes, the same faces not on TV every week, working with other companies meaning we see new characters drop in every now and again. I don't think Khan will be shy in moving people on once their contract is done either judging by how it's gone so far.

I always say, one of the best things that happened to NJPW in the modern era was Nakamura and Styles moving onto WWE. It forced them to elevate Naito and Omega, fresh faces at the top of the card, fresh match ups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not to reopen the whole "Premium Live Event" VS PPV argument but the US ads for WrestleMania Backlash next weekend are referring to it as a Premium Live Event.... That's good news if you're interested in going to Cardiff I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

20 years of Randy Orton, I do wonder if he remains healthy enough will he work for another 5-10 years.

I do like the like fact when he motivated, he can make any storyline amazing.

He has elevated tag team division with RK-Bro, where as before tag teams never got much screen time on RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just saw Smackdown is across the road for me in September so will have to go to that. Even if I don't watch it super regularly it'll be good craic with a few pints and some friends. Tickets are pretty cheap for Climate Pledge too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

G'way Ronda. The real baddest woman on the planet...

Does anyone else think that bullet club has gone on way too long at this stage and it's a bit crap now? They were great during the Devitt/AJ Styles/Omega period but it's like nwo 2000 at this stage. I do like Jay White as well but it's the group as a whole these days.

• Advertisement

It's a load of shìte and has been for a long time.

A decade long stable with a dozen bastardised versions with countless members spread across how many promotions?

Look at the wiki to see the absolute state of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see on twitter that the WWE had its Bullet Club reunion on RAW last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Here’s a very random one. I can’t for the life of me figure out how Becky Lynch became such a megastar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Feel the same..like fair play to her. She put the effort in but I don't know how she became a mega star either. Definitely wwe material and women's champ. However with that 'I'm da man' thick irish accent I don't know how she got to the heights she has.

But hey if something catches on I guess

Lightning in a bottle and hard work, if Nia Jax doesn't break her face none of it happens, but Becky was able to turn everything negative into a positive. She's also just likable and was willing to work the champions schedule while having quality matches.

It's also as simple as "don't book a likable Babyface like a complete sap" notice how she didn't lose non title matches 3 weeks in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well, there were a number of factors that led to her rise to the top. Her first two or three years on the main roster saw her being booked like a jobber and a fool compared to females in the women's division and she was perceived as being held down by the higher-ups. Because of this, she became an underdog in the fans' eyes, and wrestling fans love a good underdog story. She also showcases a lot of heart, and spirit, and has a very likable personality which also helped her because fans picked up on it and gravitated toward her.

Then she turned heel and began feuding with Charlotte Flair. She started cutting these very serious and passionate promos at the time which were probably some of the best promo work in her career. Those promos kind've brought out a different side of Becky and ended up becoming the foundation for her transition into The Man character. Perhaps it's also because she was feuding with Charlotte at the time that she was able to garner a lot of support from the fans because the fans hated Charlotte knowing how protected she was so it was easy for them to get behind Becky who was still seen as the underdog.

Becky's booking also started to get better around the time of her heel turn. Her initial heel turn in 2018 was executed really well and allowed her to show off a more edgy side to her personality. Fans liked the new attitude she was showing and it got her over big time. I liken it to The Rock in 1999 when he was still a heel but he got really over with the fans because of his promos and attitude.

She also started using social media to promote herself a lot during this time too which also helped her. She was able to utilize her social media presence on Twitter to further develop her character and people really enjoyed the tweets she was making at the time.

When Nia Jax broke Becky's face a very infamous photograph of Becky circulated around the internet of her standing with blood dripping down her face and her smiling. That image allowed her to garner a lot of sympathy from the fans and helped further solidify Becky's position at the time and it made her red hot during her return a little while later.

By the time Becky began her storyline with Ronda Rousey who wasn't exactly loved by the wrestling fans, she was one of the most over wrestlers in the company. WWE also shoehorned Charlotte into the main event match at Wrestlemania which nobody wanted to see, but it only made fans want to see Becky win even more I think. It basically became a choice between the red hot Becky Lynch, the unloved Charlotte Flair, or Ronda Rousey. It was easy for the fans to pick Becky because in the fan's eyes she was the best at the time. Charlotte winning would have been a huge letdown, and Ronda was not dealing very well with the hate she was getting from the fans which only weakened her position in the company.

So yeah that's why I think Becky became huge. I always thought she had potential but she seems really smart as well, and has a good wrestling mind, knows how to cater to the fans in the right way and how to promote herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Too little, too late to do it now, when the opportunity has already long passed them. They could've had their own version, albeit under The Club moniker, when Gallows, Anderson, Styles, Balor & Adam Cole were contracted to the company.

But nah they half assed it.

I'm thoroughly sports entertained by the Ezekiel/Elias stuff. He's killing it.

"I'm Ezekiel, I'm Elias' younger brother" is an odd catchphrase but it's growing on me. He plays it so straight too...

It would be amazing if he did have a twin brother or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if he was inspired by Joseph Park and his brother, you know, Abyss.

Vince would be in love with Michael Chandler if he were 5 inches taller.

Does that guy with the signs go to AEW shows as well or is it just WWE and Impact?

Didn't get the Ronda 87 one from last night.

Does anyone here know the interviewer from Dublin working for WWE? Figured there can't be too many degrees of separation with the relatively small fanbase in Ireland. Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shocking even by WWE standards

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think Romans current title reign is worse that HHH’s reign of terror or the super cena run. It’s making me hoping Roman loses badly.

Shelton was smooth as butter...

Used to give every CAW his Dragon Whip kick.

So both Impact and AEW had shots at Vince and WWE this week, with Serena Deeb talking about getting implants to keep perverted old men happy and Eric Young talking about a crazy old man not using him properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For anyone whose see the MITB promo i never thought I'd hear Garth Brooks and wwe in the same sentence

• Advertisement

How come they're advertising Crown Jewel already even though it's on in November? Like how many people saw that and rushed to look for tickets?

Advertisement