Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Why would anyone expect Stephen Maguire to do much, what has he done in the past to justify any faith in him going further this year. He generally has a terrible attitude and plays like as if he couldn’t care less if he wins or loses, i don’t have much time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ah you're doing him a slight dissservice

I won't start up about the value of centuries then compared to now I did that yesterday

He came back against Davis and Griffiths and beat Thorburn all at their peak in major finals

• Registered Users Posts: 45 BAABAA96

Im inclined to agree here, doesnt come across as the most likeable character. Complained loads this year about the structure of qualifying but in all likelihood it actually suited him to have shorter matches. On another note you could say if he worked hard enough to be in top 16 he wouldnt have had to do any complaining. Obivously still doing fairly well at the highest level but cant imagine he will stay ahead of the younger crop of players too much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nah I don't see it. Alex was a sideshow. Granted he had moments. As regards the pockets you should seek out a championship table and see the difference. To a club table. I think what has changed though is the cloths which makes positional play a bit easier.

Griffiths was a snooker contemporary of Alex Higgins and he got a similar amount of centuries. Terry Griffiths!

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For whatever reason there does seem to be a lot fewer kicks this year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Frustrating player to watch. Has the game if he applied himself. He admitted that he lacks focus/dedication or whatever you like to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

played on a championship table once and my god the pockets were tiny, it was actually embarrassing i couldn't get any break going at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It's down to the new chalk they use. I say new, it's been around a couple of years at least. I think most of the players use it now. It's expensive but if it can help prevent ruining chances, it's worth it for professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I find it very frustrating that Ronnie to me often gets handy draws. He hasn't faced one yet, while other players have had them since round 1. It was the same in 2020(though he should have been beaten by Ding and Selby). He won playing mostly average snooker.

Basically, he only really potentially has 2 difficult matches to win the tournament this year. While all the others are knocking each other out. Maguire is the worst player of the 8 left in the Championship, and I would say by some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I think the crucible should remain the home of the world championships forever, the venue, the ambience, the crowd, the history...

My sister lives in sheffield

Higgins v Lisowski going to the script so far. Higgins 4-3 up. Lisowski errors.

Trump piling on the pressure on Bingham. Trump 4-2 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's only one reason players want the WC going to China and we all know why that is.

I don't really see how the WC has outgrown the Crucible when the game is much smaller in the UK than it was. Yes, big in China and the only reason to have it over there would mean bigger eyes on TV and bigger money.

Look at this tripe from Trump 8 years ago.

He said: “I love the Crucible but to take the game forward it needs expanding. The final should sell 3,000 tickets, and it would do.

"With a capacity of 900 you are under-selling the event.

“Extra prize money can come from ticket sales, you could sell an extra 40-50,000 tickets over 17 days at a bigger venue.

The final might sell 3k but what about the last 16 etc.? There's always empty seats on tv.

I notice the players are suspiciously fond of the sponsored water

Everytime the camera pans across one of them is taking a slug out of a bottle

Not sure if they're under instruction there or maybe have it filled with their own concoction

Good snooker by Stu there !

I saw Saenghkam drinking some miwadi like drink out of a bottle yesterday

Probably crushed rhino horn or something

Thinks it'll give him special powers

Maguire needs a good start here, but his first few shots haven't been great(edit: no, they've been rank). You're supposed to make hay when your opponent plays badly, but Maguire didn't do that this morning, he was even worse. Think I'll be switching this off again shortly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Crazy frame in the Yan Williams match with ten reds over the right corner pocket.

• Advertisement

That's a little better from Maguire, 6-3.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Important break by Yan, back to 6-3.

Left pocket wasn't too generous for Williams there

Yan clears up and is back to 6-4.

Good so far by Maguire, 6-4. But those are damning stats from the lads in the BBC studio. Only 4 victories for Maguire against O'Sullivan, compared to 18 for Ronnie. And crucially, his last victory was a decade ago in the China Open.

And just I say that, Maguire has missed an easy red.

Lol that red

If you can, watch the overhead replay of it. It hit the cushion first and still went in. That's a joke. I seen something similar yesterday on a blue, someone mentioned it in the comments here. The pockets definitely are more forgiving.

Unfortunately, the site won't let me upload a video of it.

Post edited by sligeach on

Bingham had a thin enough cut on a red that was just off the cushion and he blasted it in no problem. Tables are playing far too easy.

I was told to shut up about it yesterday but it's ridiculous

The breaks are just flying in

Are BBC not talking about it now , hendry and some of the old timers can't be too happy with the way it's going now with stats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

O'Sullivan's B, even C game, enough to have him 11-5 up. Fairly promising signs, he seems to fancy the job this year.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff from Yan, now won 5 out of 6 frames, and will be two frames down at worst going into tomorrow.

Advertisement