Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

Hindsight is great ! Many of us did not realise the impact of smart meters - and the resultant poor value smart meter tariffs, including myself.

Now we know the facts, many of us will definitely be better off, on a day/night rate meter, even though, it comes with a higher annual standing charge. The EI Urban day/night rate meter standing charge, is €77 ex vat annually, more expensive, than the 24 hour meter.

One needs to crunch the numbers with your real data from past years bills, to see this, and see does it make sense for your circumstances, everyones usage, is different. We have 2 EV’s and a new heat pump recently installed, so it will be well worth getting that meter changed.

Then, start changing some of our habits, time delaying clothes washing, drying, dishwasher, EV’s, etc etc to only come on during the night rate time slot, to make the most of those much lower night rates.

I also switched to low wattage bulbs in every house room, several years back, it cost a few hundread, but was a one off cost, and have hardly changed any since as they tend to last for years, that alone, made a difference to the bills. Had several 50watts bulbs, now they are mostly 4 watt. And, take a look at the energy ratings on your appliances is a good idea as well, if any are due to be changed.

Post edited by fafy on

Thanks, I followed up on this with EI, and was told to fill in a Sepa DD mandate, and email it back in. i got this information not from the call centre, who clearly have been told its “not possible”, but from the Home Energy services number 1800 372 333

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Went with the Energia retention deal. Best of a bad bunch more than anything. Hopefully this time next year prices are more competitive again.

Great deal alright, it is actually THE best for Day/Night meter folk, IF you are an existing customer, i did ring them, but as i am not an existing customer, no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Sorry it's hard to follow. I have a digital Meter which supports day night and 24/7 modes. This is normal, there is no installation when moving to a day night tarrif, they just came by and took a meter reading. I had no issue on either bord gais or energia with a digital Meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

We never had a night meter but recently got the Smart meter installation. Didn't go for any smart meter tarrif as others have pointed out they are a complete rip off. Didn't have a ev car in the works but do now for July. What are my options re a night rate? Can I switch to a smart meter day/night tarrif? Or would I be better looking at a night meter? I signed up with ei back in Jan. Went for the standard tarrif with cheapest rates. No cash back etc

Thanks,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Anyone have a link to a fair usage policy for electric. Just starting to compare different providers for when I have to renew my contract.

Best to do some number crunching, as a starting point. Its not, one size fits all, you need to do a little bit of work.

Get your usage data for a year at least, add on estimated EV charging. Work out how much usage, can be deferred to the much lower night rate. You can time delay washing machine, dishwasher and dryer

Take into account that Day/Night meters have about €75 more expensive annual standing charges than 24 hour meters, and day rates tend to be 1cent ‘ish, more expensive than 24 hour tariffs, but then, you have a night rate of about 10cent ex vat, for 9 hours each day, which is unbeatable, across any tariff.

If still in contract, its €50 per fuel(gas & electricity), to exit contract early, but may be worth your while switching early, depending on usage.

Just looking for advice please...

We have a new EV and we will be moving into a new house in next few weeks. What is the best thing to do to as regards what Electricity provider to go with? Basically electricity and charging for Dummies as I'm suffering from 'Baby Brain' at the moment 🤗

We only need Electricity, not gas.

Thank you 😀

Do you have a heat pump?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Hi,

Dose anyone know if I can cancel my contract with electric Ireland early, without a fee / cancellation charge as their rates are going up on the 1st ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you are within the cooling off period of currently contract (14 days I believe), then yes.

If not, then a fee of €50 is payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

what are the costs of this deal? Is it a day/night scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

this seems to be the cheapest for me .. energia renewal rural day/night on bonkers :

Isn't the EV plan better? It's a cheaper night rate, plus the UNIT price is fixed.

Note, the day rate is more expensive than the retention plan but if you also have solar pv it's a no brainer.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Energia with their 41% discount seems to be the best priced at the moment. (Assuming a day night meter)

The EV rate seems to have been recently removed from the site. At least I found no way to sign up a couple weeks ago. Might be still available over the phone, but tbh looks like it's gone now.

As above, the energia 41% is probably a good bet. If you want to expand a fair bit of mental energy you might be able to get a deal which is more suited to your usage patterns (whatever they might be).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭John arse

Energia price increase +15% effective monday April 25(tomorrow).

• Advertisement

On Day/Night rates,

I suppose it depends on usage,and if you have heat pump, or solar PV. Its close, between Energia 41 % off and EI 26 % off, but EI is more than a cent cheaper for Day ex vat, (20.39 v 21.52), and a little cheaper on night as well, (10.06 v 10.33)allthough EI have higher standing charges, of about €55 annually ex vat.

the “Current Price Plan” below is EI day/night 26% off, and the “New Price Plan” is Energia 41% off.

The heat pump we have, swung it to EI for me, as come next October, that will be using up a good bit of day rates.

Depends on ones usage and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How are you seeing this info from the smart meter, have you an app for the meter?

If is not removed. It's under day/night section.

Hands down the best deal. Even better when I see they are putting up unit prices on other deals. Link here

https://www.energia.ie/products/product-page?productid=26975&productRateId=156289&promotionId=&mprn=&affinityCode=76&meterTypeId=2&fuelTypeId=2

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Currently on 24hr rate with EI but with EV coming will need to decide if worth it changing to a Day/Night rate. Has anyone done the sums on running a heat pump on night rate (at a lower COP due to colder air temps) versus running it during the day when it is warmer? Currently I've the 6kW heat pump set to run during daytime only.

I'd expect I will be only charging the car 1 or 2 times per week, so need to decide if worth it to change to a night rate. I'd imagine it is with HP and charging but need to run the numbers and dig out graphs of how heat pump performance drops with lower air temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Some info that may help.

I'm in contract with Energia, smart meter but standard 24hr tariff with 41% discount. New EV arrived last week so trying to sort out what plan will suit best.(should have been on it weeks ago). Did the sums and day/night meter is the only way to go.

I contacted Energia, my only options if I keep my smart meter are stay on standard 24hr tariff or move to a smart plan which is a definite no. They said it's not possible to have a day/night plan with a smart meter.

My other option is to change my smart meter for a day/night meter which they will do free of charge (afaik Esb will do it). They said as I was never on a smart plan they can do this. I don't have to cancel my existing contract and pay the fee but I will have to sign up for a further 12 months. They haven't said, as yet, how long it will take to change the meter.

Once the meter is changed I have 2 plan options:

EV plan Day: .2856 - Night .0822 - Standing charge & PSO €367.21 (urban) incl vat.

Standard Day/Night : Day .2443- Night .1172 - Standing charge & PSO €367.21 (urban) incl vat.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They were supposed to be out to change our meter back yesterday. Never showed. No phone call either.

Hi,

Not sure what set up you have but the heat pump should be running 24/7. It will cycle on and off itself maintaining an appropriate temperature. In winter it will probably be cycled on all the time and in summer as little as once an hour.

What you might mean is that you have the thermostats set to off at night ? That normal enough, but your heat pump will be using some power still. Having the entire pump shut down at night and start up in the morning is less energy efficient than letting it run.

Anyway, our unit does both central heating and hot water. We shifted the hot water time and the thermostats time to 7:30 AM as the big draw is used to get the temperature up in the morning for showers and can lift house temperature about 2 degrees in a half hour. With this minor change we found that a day night meter with the extra standing charge saved us a modest amount yearly but with an EV charging once every 2 week to 80 units we where saving about 400 euro a year.

Btw our heat pump draws between 500 watts and 1Kw continuously at all times, day and night. We use about 8000 units a year. House rating A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Advertisement

Advertisement