Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to the minister and she's not exactly one to go by - remember when we had thousands of children with covid in schools when she said there wasn't cases in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She is probably the worst Minister of Education in my lifetime.

That said the numbers are from a self audit from the schools themselves.

Acutely for primary which was a problem flagged before her time, the numbers are dwindling and will continue to do so.

All that information is readily available and has been linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would imagine it goes through the same alternative facts machine that the school numbers of covid cases went through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

You're right, of course, about the disparity in exposure between the likes of Ireland and France.

Something worth a mention though is the difference in influence. If France were to change tack tomorrow, Ireland would be directly influenced very quickly. Like a small boat tied to a cruiseliner.

But as I said above, a personal example, the impact of excessive people arriving into the country is rapidly having impact, in that case exclusion from educational opportunity for teenagers. It's been happening for years but people have been under the "slow boil cannibal pot" with not noticing too much. Now it's in their face.

It's only headed one direction anyway, slow or fast, an uprising against the squandering of younger Irish/french/German/european peoples lives for sake of property inflation and virtuous garbage. It's going to be nasty, but what other way could it have ever ended? Provocation meets reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

My daughter is finishing her second year in ucd, exams coming up but instead of head to the books she’s in a huge panic over accommodation. There’s so little out there, and prices have jumped massively. first year was destroyed by covid, and now to hell with the Irish youth because Ukraine is trending. She’ll leave the country as soon as she qualifies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....once again, our property issues have existed for well over a decade now, but this war is only a couple of months old, so.......

@Boggles what report are you going off

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Over a decade? 10 years ago property prices had dropped 60% and we were in the middle of an IMF bailout so had no scope for spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Are you really saying that things haven’t gotten much worse since the start of the year. Look around at the rents!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes, our property supply issues were noted at the height of the previous crash, particularly in the dublin region, so yes, this is going on over 10 years now, and has been steadily worsening since, largely due to policy, its important to once again state what ultimately caused the crash, financial sector crash!

• Advertisement

And now Watch how rents increase again do to what little supply is gobbled up to house Ukrainians ,

Meanwhile our homelessness increases and where will the emergency accomodation come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

They are already coming Kaiden Sticky Manic. 65 Ukrainians are housed at a hotel less that 600 metres from me, mostly women and children. 18 of the total did not come directly from Ukraine but from Spain. One of the 18 told (naively perhaps) of poor living conditions in Spain, over 500 living in a huge indoor sports arean, no privacy etc. Thanks to friends who had just arrived in Ireland 2 weeks previouly they got the lowdown of living conditions here and what particulary attracted them was the generous welfare benefits, child benefits and other benefits like healthcare, education etc. so they packed their bags again and landed here. The Nigerians migrants who arrive here (posing as refugees) call Ireland...Treasure Ireland for a reason ! I'm sure the Ukrainians agree. To be fair to the Ukrainians they are an industrious people and have a work ethic so if given the opportunity (and not spoiled by our over generous welfare system) they, in time, will make a contribution to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Exactly. It was caused by too much borrowing...or 'creating money' as you prefer to call it.

This is it, the spiralling of inequality begins.

And don't forget, everything trickles down. So an Irish student that got enough points for a local college is then pushed out by a student who otherwise would have been elsewhere. So on and so forth. Resentment builds across the spectrum, rightfully.

Tell an 18 year old to go out and get a part time job to help, the appropriate jobs are soaked up by 30 year old foreign "students". Again, spiralling.

Then they'll be told they're "too lazy" and entitled, that young Irish people don't want to work. Ridiculous. They may have the normal naivety of teenagers, but they aren't thick to what's in front of them.

A quick glance at the youth unemployment figures in this country is shocking. But then the mantra is "we need all these foreign people to prop up the economy".

It's one damned contradiction after another, one hypocrisy after another. Lies, essentially.

Well, these people won't forget, that's for sure. Time ticks down.

Something worth a mention though is the difference in influence. If France were to change tack tomorrow, Ireland would be directly influenced very quickly. Like a small boat tied to a cruiseliner.

Why? I don't see it.

Denmark shifted policies.. it was ignored. Poland turned protectionist, they were condemned. France has been tightening parts of their immigration policies for months, and it too was ignored. And the UK with Brexit? Passed off as being the work of racists.

The EU is still extremely pro-multiculturalism. A number of European nations including the big three have all turned away from it, but the EU is an establishment separate to them now. In the past, the EU was essentially, the UK, France and Germany but the evolution of EU administration has provided it with the chance to become an entity of its own. Until the EU as a body, changes it's tune, Irish politicians will feel under no pressure to change their policies... and even when that happens, they'll likely delay for months or years before changing anything.

Irish political parties have too much invested in their desires for more immigration, to turn around quickly.

It's going to be nasty, but what other way could it have ever ended? Provocation meets reaction

Irish culture and Irish society is not the same as European societies or cultural backgrounds... you're flattening things too much, and ignoring the conditioning that has been ongoing for the last two decades while the Irish parties have pushed multiculturalism. You're underestimating the difficulties involved, and overestimating the resistance to such plans.

I would be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't believe I am. We're not going to see any major policy shift for another decade... and I'm very sceptical of the idea that the Irish electorate will force anything to change. I've been disappointed too much in the past by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Rental and property have been steadily increasing, but not even having the availability of student campus accomodation is taking the proverbial, don't you think? For Ukraine people to be facilitated to the detriment of our young people....there's no denying it was a sh1t show the last number of years, but now? Could you tell me how local authorities will move Ukrainians from college campus accomodation in September when the new term starts? Or will it be left to students and us parents to seek accomodation out of campus, owned by landlords who can charge what they want, if they haven't their properties filled with Ukrainians already?

As I said before, I've no issue with any person from any country seeking refuge here. We have a lot going for it. But ffs, we are literally being stepped on and will pay for this both social and economically for decades at the rate we're going. Ukrainians must think they've landed in Monte Carlo as they've been handed so much, without knowing that we were in serious trouble before they came.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I would encourage her to do so as this country is being run into the ground. And it won't matter who is in Government, things are going to get worse here, with the young and squeezed middle being squeezed even more.

This country is being led by politicians with their next moves already in mind. Varadkar (EU, UN or NGO), Coveney (UN) and Martin (EU). It's seen rank pathetic politicians like McEntee take on Ministerial briefs that are so above their capabilities it is frightening. And briefs that actually have impacts on people's lives here too. Politicians too enamoured with getting Twitter likes from the 30k or so Irish regularly on the platform. Who are not even representative of the vast majority of society anyway. Politicians too concerned with basing policy of off the views of the NGO Industrial Complex as well, with their own agenda's at play.

But you know what? As a Nation we bring this on ourselves by not holding politicians to account. Our "It'll be grand" and "It'll do" mentality is why things rarely, if ever, work here. We laugh and roll our eyes at public sector incompetence, instead of vocally calling for people's heads. Our media is so supine and rarely if ever challenges any politician when they are live and in the flesh; concerned more with trying to get advisory roles with politicians then pursuing the truth.

I'm mid-forties and so is my partner, no kids, and we are planning an exit from here. Probably Europe (she's from Eastern Europe) where we may pay slightly higher income taxes, but we'll get more bang for our buck. Nowhere is perfect, don't get me wrong, but Ireland for the next decade at least, is up the creek without a paddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Government will do 'everything' it can to help Ukrainian refugees arriving in Ireland, says Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

And rightly so. It needs to hit the fan, Irish people are far too apathetic.

However, the anger needs to be directed at the Govt and not the Ukrainians. These are Governments who seem to perennially not acting in the best interests of those who contribute the most to society. They are **** useless and have been for a long time.

The only way we have gotten away with having such a good standard of living is the corp tax agreements. Lift off that mask, and we are an absolute unorganised backwater.

Ireland is becoming less and less attractive for these MNCs. When google and Meta are complaining about staff accomodation issues it's not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ironfeather

Yes, you work hard, pay your bills, buy your own home, and yet the powers that be

can do what they want with what is yours, essentially telling you that nothing you

pay for is actually yours, you have no say in what you do with what you bought and paid for,

so ownership is just an idea and not a real thing.

Oh, my posts are being deleted, but am keeping screenshots to prove it.

I've been labeled an Islamophobic by an admin on here, which Ive notified the appropriate

authorities about, again I ask that admin to come here and explain why telling the truth on here

gets you warned and labelled.

• Advertisement

Well you probably shouldn't be using phrases like "Allah's Boys" if you don't want to get warned.

Allah is just Arabic for God anyway ffs...same God as the other two Abrahamic faiths.

As for people, especially younger people, leaving the country, it's rife.

Ask any nursing student or medical student what the general plans of their class are when they qualify, you'll hear the same story again and again. They're leaving immediately, or very soon afterwards. Entire classes.

Why? Because it's unaffordable to live here, wages are better elsewhere, etc. But why?

So, chicken and egg scenario developed. Lots of non-european medical staff arrived to fill the void, or else the arrival of non-european staff created the void. Either way, the proof in the pudding is that they undercut the Irish students/enable shittier conditions to persist.

And then comes hypocrisy number 107, "but we need them to keep the hospitals running!". No, the reality is they are used to undercut Irish medical staff, undercut conditions, and you get what you pay for. Not the best, in other words. Our best are gone.

Younger Irish people are being deprived to pump property prices, they are missing educational opportunities, the few that can leave are leaving because of the pumped property prices yadda yadda, but the majority are, with a finger on the pulse, seething away here. It's like the nose on your face, you can't pretend it's not there, not forever.

It's coming down the line.

Problem is they'll vote Sinn Fein and other looney tunes and expect there to be change.

And there won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ireland is becoming less and less attractive for these MNCs. When google and Meta are complaining about staff accomodation issues it's not a good look.

2021 was the highest creation of direct employment by MNCs on record. - during a pandemic. More than half went to regional locations, MNCs are adapting.

Accommodation issues are not unique to Ireland as much as people like to pretend it is.

No doubt they will vote in Sinn Fein. And odds are Sinn Fein won't make a difference.

But it's just gonna be a case of "next!" until they get what's wanted, and the temperature is going to rise with each successive failure until they do get what they want, a country that works.

I'm repeating myself at this point, but the minority comfy people in this country are on the way out, and the people coming behind them have the utter opposite outlook. Inevitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Deeec

I posted this question in another thread earlier but its also relevent to this conversation.

We are assuming that all Ukranians coming into Ireland are poor. Some of them had very good jobs in the Ukraine so surely some of them have money and should be able to fund their needs. Do they not have access to their bank accounts?

I know they have left their belongings behind etc and do need some help but are the government being mugs providing everything even though its possible some of these people are rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm repeating myself at this point, but the minority comfy people in this country are on the way out, and the people coming behind them have the utter opposite outlook. Inevitability.

Comfy people in this country aren’t on the way out at all, they’re passing their wealth on to their children. Your whole argument appears to be based upon some sort of coalition of the underclass and the middle classes joining together to overthrow the upper class. The two classes want nothing to do with each other, and the gap between the haves, and have nots only becomes wider.

Irish landlords are getting out because there’s just no profit in it for them any more, and I have no doubt there are a few Irish people are hoping their properties will be purchased at above market value, regardless of who it provides accommodation for.

I’m not sure why you can’t see the irony but for all your rhetoric of people coming together, at the same time you’re trying to pit Irish people against Irish people attempting to use Ukrainian refugees to do it.

It's unlikely. You have to bear in mind that Ukraine was the poorest nation in Europe with the worst overall economy, with serious problems with political and economic corruption. The standard of living was low, as were the general costs of living, but by the same standard, so would have salaries been low. They'd be poor compared to Ireland, and transferring wealth of Ukraine into the Euro would be costly.

Naturally, there were the rich or wealthy in Ukraine, but I don't see them coming to Ireland. Refugees have some choice in where they end up. The wealthy will likely have chosen the more attractive countries in the EU, like Germany or Sweden for the kind of living they can have there.

I would suggest that the vast majority of refugees are poor by our standards... and the minority remaining aren't an issue to be bothered about,

I have no problem "pitting" the majority of Irish people against the minority irish people running them into the ground.

F**k them. They know what they're doing, zero sympathy.

As for passing on wealth to their children, sure, but a minority remains a minority, a majority is a majority. It's a fools game of "accelerationism" to think that your rapidly increasing property price is going to buy your way out of a delapidating society, or your children. Much like the aspirations of Americans whos idea, oftentimes, appears to be to get enough money to live in a gated community away from the society they helped hollow out. Blah de blah, it's far too complicated a conversation for some simple short exchanges.

Regardless, the quick explanation is that this country is patently NOT getting better for most. Pick a few examples from this very thread to see people's problems.

Too many people have been brought into this country with the sole purpose of increasing price pressure. It's that simple, or else you believe a bunch of orangutans just so happen to keep making the same profitable mistakes again and again and again and again and again and again. Bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stick to discussing the Ukrainian Refugee crisis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement