Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do Irish professional rugby players come from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt obvious at all more rugby playing kids come from fee paying schools. some schools dont offer rugby to students(at least not on a very regular basis - training sessions for short period with an IRFU/provincial development officer aside) but rugby is available in clubs

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

100% of the youth age grade kids playing rugby at our club do not attend fee paying schools

ive no idea why you think this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Fair enough, I'm not exposed enough to youth rugby and made erroneous assumptions regarding the wider playing population based on my own experience.

Do you see obvious ways in which things should be changed in terms of expanding the player pool, or are thinbgs basically in order and it's more a matter of patience while the new players come through?

The playing numbers in youths clubs and newer schools is far higher than before and increasing all the time. coaching standards improving as well with more people exposed to the game as well as attending coaching courses etc. top players are assessed more often and earlier so this will have impact on pro ranks. already has in places. the Provinces and IRFU are putting in processes to expand the playing pool. Leinster for example have built the Ken Wall centre of excellence in Donnybrook at the wesley end which is a high performance centre for sub academy players and those in clubs etc not in fee paying schools and are planning on building 4 more in each of the other 4 regions they use for player development.

Munster have a similar set up in Cork in Musgrave on top of the pros base/centre in UL and have partnered with Fethard town park which has a community 3G pitch and will be putting in Gym etc and this will help players in east of the province. they will be doing more in future in west/south west of province as well.

it just takes time. Waterford didnt have a player playing senior international rugby between Ben Cronin who won 2 caps in mid 90s and Jack O Donoghue. Very few pros from waterford in that time as well. Murray Kinsella was in Munster academy for a period. others in and around pro set up. Now theres Tom Ahern, Eoin O Connor. others were in academy, played abroad for period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Robbie Henshaw did not attend a fee paying school.

Often, if you're good enough and you can afford to go to one, you'll attend one of the fee paying schools because they're almost like an academy, but it's certainly not an elitist sport. Based on some of the savages I played with 🤣

Yes, there's alot of upper middle class playing it but, they're allowed to play sport too. Doesn't make it an elitist sport

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In fairness, people like Henshaw and Furlong are the exception, not the norm, which is why they are always used as examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Jack Carty (Granted his family are minted, but not from a lack of hard work)

Craig casey

Keith earls

Conor Murray

Dave Kilcoyne

It still may be common for kids that come from fee paying schools to advance, but it's not the norm now that it makes others an exception completely

30 years ago on the other hand, absolutely. Robbie Henshaw has and uncle probably good enough in their day to play for ireland, but they were tradesmen not doctors so wouldn't get a look in , by being developed within the system they have now

It's really not in the interest of Irish Ruby to have a small pool of rich kids to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Coming from a background in coaching youths I think the Leinster system just pay lip service to the clubs. Highlight the Ciaran Frawleys Furlongs etc but really the system is working for them so why would they change it? Undoubtedly players with potential are falling through the gaps because the club system via regions are selecting players so young and filtering them down to Leinster youths etc late developers are being missed and when the club players (2-3 hrs coaching a week) are pitted against the schools players (10 hrs a week) the schools guys are bound to be miles ahead albeit with maybe a potential lower ceiling.

Also the schools players that develop later will still be in the schools system so can be picked up ala Brian O'Driscoll who was a sub in JCT team or something.

My own experince is that in the club system in a choice between size and skill, size is chsen more often than not and someone said to me you can't coach size.

Will Leinster choose to put more time and hence money into screening and coaching more club players. I can't see it happening when they can just rely on the schools to churn them out year after year. I'd wager anyone employed by IRFU that has aspirations for their child to play pro rugby is sending them to a private rugby school.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Interesting. How would you change the current approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stop the schools blocking access to the clubs for players. Most clubs don’t bother fielding after u-15 in Dublin.

Move the clubs season so it doesn’t clash with schools cup.

• Advertisement

This is a nonsensical red herring you've mentioned twice now - the issue isn't with the schools. You don't improve the overall situation by bringing down the part that is already working well, you look at what sort of in built structural advantages they have and you see if it's feasible and economical to replicate that.

In this case; it's about trying to match the quality and frequency of coaching that the schools have in the clubs.

That likely isn't feasible, but you have to see where you can make improvements.

If you look at the the Irish XV that started against the All Blacks last November, 9 of the 15 grew up or were educated within a 10-15 min drive of Lansdowne Road (Keenan, Conway, Ringrose, Sexton, Porter, Kelleher, Ryan, Doris, VDF).

There is nothing in the water in that tiny pocket of South Dublin that produces better rugby players than Carrick On Shannon, Clifden, Cahir, Carrickfergus or Carlow.

If we could even scratch the surface of producing players from other parts of the country with even a fraction of the same frequency we produce them in South Dublin, then Ireland could legitimately be in with a shout of contending for a World Cup.

From my experience of the game reffing, coaching, etc Leinster do a lot more than pay lip service to clubs. They have to pick players at the age they do otherwise its too late. The development process starts with the development groups at under 15s before the Shane Horgan Cup at Under 16s which is a principal guide to the selection of the Leinster Youths squad for the season after at under 18s. They have Under 17 and 18s development squads as well for regions to keep an eye on others. Now id like if they had under 20 squads to assess others

the very top club players between their local school and their club can get lot more than 2-3 hours a week between gym and pitch work.

From reffing and coaching i dont think at all the club system will more often than not pick size over skill.

The best players are not allowed play for the clubs. The schools get to register their squads and those players are not allowed play for the clubs. In some schools that’s up to 30 players. Which means there aren’t enough players left in the clubs to field teams. So your point is completely spurious. It isn’t about coaching or bringing the clubs up to the levels of the schools. If they are wholesale denied access to their players. Clearly you don’t have much understanding of age grade rugby.

You're missing the wood from the trees.

It's not about clubs v schools, it's about more good players v less.

If we've a good player coming through, it doesn't matter where he comes from, just that he be developed to the best of his potential and ability, and hopefully become a productive player for the national side.

You seem to think it would be more desirable if a guy plays for Tullamore instead of Blackrock College, when the situation I'm trying to describe is that it would obviously be more desirable if both Tullamore and Blackrock could both be producing top class players.

also; fwiw, the players are free to play wherever they choose. It's always great to see the good old internet trope of accusing me of having no idea where age grade players come from, when you're the one here who thinks the issue is that clubs can't field teams. 🙄

I think @stephen_n is saying there are players on the periphery of schools teams who don't get as much game time, who would get an awful lot more game time for a club side if they were allowed to play for one.

It would surely be more desirable for a guy to play a lot for Tullamore than very little for Blackrock, no?

I think it's debatable that it is more desirable in the scenario you've described. While the common perception is that it's better to play rugby than sit on the bench, I think there is a lot more empirical evidence to suggest that same player would develop more if he's on the fringe of the Blackrock SCT due to the coaching, conditioning, exposure to other top class players etc than he would playing week in week out for Tullamore (these are just spurious examples I'm using here).

The proof is in the fact that 20% of current Irish professional rugby players were produced by Blackrock & Michaels, and there have been examples of guys making it who didn't start for the Blackrock SCT.

This is back to my main point; it's not just about getting more kids playing rugby, it's about elevating the quality of the coaching the players are getting across the board.

Again you’re completely missing the point. The schools strangle the clubs. Meaning that the clubs don’t field teams. So therefore there is no platform to develop players outside the school system. So unless you’re in a school, you are very unlikely to develop. Especially in Dublin.

kids that are panelled to school teams and end up playing little to no rugby in their teens are lost to rugby forever when they leave school. This severely hinders clubs who lose a significant portion of youth age grade players to schools.

it would be a much better situation if players were allowed play with their clubs once they dont play a certain quota of JCT or SCT games, similar to how seniors versus seconds work for seconds cup and league etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why should schools be allowed dictate anything about what kids do outside of school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Lost Ormond points out system exists to feed into U18 inter-provincials but how a kid plays aged 17 should this be a cut off?

In conjuncction with this I'd keep squads at regional level through to u18/19 (same age as schools players? )giving them the support and keep rolling club players in and out as needed. I read somewhere about Arsenal doing trials on developmental age so kids played against kids in the same physical maturity. This approach might identify players. Also picking out late joiners to the game from less traditional areas. I understand money talks and this all costs money but in a physical game the early developers are definitely getting the advantage of more training earlier. But to my original point it works for Leinster so why would they change it?

Regarding playing schools players vs club players from my experience schools players are far more advanced physically and tactically compared to average club players (who typically play multiple sports) so I don't advocate them being in competition.

Regarding playing schools players vs club players from my experience schools players are far more advanced physically and tactically compared to average club players (who typically play multiple sports) so I don't advocate them being in competition.

no one is advocating for schools teams to play against club teams here. Im not sure why you think this?

The issue some clubs have is that schools players are panelled, and not allowed to play clubs, even though they get very little game time as part of that panel. No one has an issue with small number of panelled players being kept for schools competition. With sportslomo etc, it is now very very easy to keep account of a players on field minutes. this just needs to be religiously enforced and updated.

You underestimate the power that the schools lobby has within the branches.

Lot of vested interests at play, nothing will change that will ever upset the schools apple cart.

The stupid thing about this rule is some fringe player at a school can't go play rugby for his club, but he can go play GAA or soccer or whatever else he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's ridiculous. We'd lose so many and probably are. G.A.A and football have several times the players. What do rugby accomplish be this? There's some serious athletes playing G.A.A. if a schools player can't play for his club, he's probably going to play something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

A player may be in a panel and not starting SCT but it doesn't mean they aren't playing matches for seconds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

For me, the bit we are all missing here is how telling the Blackrock / Michaels stat is. 44 pro players coming from those two schools makes it statistically likely that we are turning average Athletes into elite rugby players. There is no reason why exceptional athletes (bar *very few* scholarships) should concentrate in those schools - particularly for St Michaels which in the lifetime of the current graduating class was not considered to have a particular rugby pedigree and therefore has no selection bias of incoming students. So we must conclude a reasonable portion of the pros they produce are pretty average athletes who are very well trained.

Irish Rugby should be striving to turn exceptional athletes into elite rugby players. At the moment we are favouring nuture over nature - but really we want both exceptional natural talent, exceptionally well nurtured. The base of the pyramid needs to be wider and the learnings we get from whatever it is they do in those rugby player factories need to be applied broadly.

and again, that brings into the definition of meaningful games.

Playing competitive Leinster Club league versus JCT seconds / thirds / TYs in friendlies etc is not at all comparable.

It shouldnt be a cut off but for all too many it is. Because of systems in place.... Like if we were starting from scratch the current system would never be in place. I think we are seeing more of a view from provincial coaches that we need regional squads etc beyond 16/17. we really fail at 20s in all provinces bar Leinster. Munster used to have thriving 20s competitions for clubs outside the top few clubs but now unless you can field in a league with Con, Garryowen etc then you have little opportunity for regular competitive rugby which is absolutely f''''g ridiculous. Connacht have occasional 20s blitz days for the few clubs that want to play 20s but dont/cant/wont commit to playing division 2/3 of the Leinster JP Fanagan league

We do need to see more clubs fielding under 23 style teams in adult competitions like a few clubs in Leinster do

Schools players who play schools cup (and some SCT2) but beyond that when you are talking about rest theyre not. we need more integration of clubs and schools players throughout a players teenage years with some limitations be it the type of competition theyre allowed play etc but i think the very best clubs teams who by and large will have by under 16 and 18 have interpro players, regional players and also have many also training and playing in their school can more than compete against many schools players.

But as you well know syd. rightly or wrongly(totally wrongly IMO...) the vast majority of schools games especially beyond the SCT/JCT and the odd game at other levels in schools there is no team sheets/no official referee and everything else....

This shouldnt be allowed happen but all too often does.

Very fringe players can play with their club if they want to. In some cases schools make cases to stop them all depends on what level in school theyre at and numbers etc. its about player safety, stopping clubs just picking loads of schools players to play club competitions.

Schools players in theory should be getting more than enough rugby in the school season that they dont need too many more with a club. Like a schools cup player in a league school in Leinster will play 5 group games in league, up to 3 knockout games, a few friendlies prior to christmas and then will have christmas/new years friendlies and then they have vinnie murray or straight to the cup itself and possibly a plate run in either vinnie murray or cup if knocked out in first round.

+1

On absolutely everything above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You'd have to wonder what the % of lads that drop out of rugby and go on to other sports! It's strange that the clubs are like junior partners? The % of lads playing rugby in Connacht is probably pretty low. Most would be swinging a hurl or playing G.A.A.

Advertisement