Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Guards / Police

Options
  • 20-04-2022 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

A lot of posts about how diabolical the road policing system is so I wondered if there are many stories like mine, where a guard (or police officer in my case) turned out to be sound.

In my first tale, I was, hands up, completely in the wrong! I used to ride around fifty miles each way to work on my beloved RD350YPVS (that dates the story! Mid 80's) It was a very special bike, brought in by Yamaha for the launch at Olympia. The model wasn't fully ready for production and so mine had a custom fairing with Dream Machine paint job, a Metmachex swinging arm and looked beautiful. It sounded like tearing calico when you let it go and the throttle was basically an on / off switch... any way, I digress.

I was passing through the town of Newbury in the UK at morning rush hour and filtered as usual through the stationary traffic. Unfortunately for me I did this by utilising the chevron marked area of the road and an unusually observant traffic car noticed my, stuck on the blues and twos and pulled me over.

The Police Officer very officiously informed me that chevron markings are a no go area and I was already thinking what a stupid way to get my first three points.

The officer then looked at the surrounding traffic and asked "do you want points or are you happy to look a twat?" Now, I'm a twat at the best of times so my answer was a no brainer. He proceeded to chat to me about the bike, about his track days and about his time as a motorcycle officer before he suffered an accident that put him back in a car.

He did all this whilst standing ramrod straight with much unrelated finger wagging and with his notepad conspicuously showing. Every car driver slowly passing had a sh*t eating grin on their face as they thought I was getting the book thrown at me. After about 10 minutes, the officer said "Right, that's about everyone that you overtook, nice talking with you and take it easy". Off I rode, points free and with every car I'd passed thinking justice had been served!

Second sound copper. Tearing down the A34 just south of Oxford. Girlfriend at the time on the back and giving it (A 1971 CB750 SOHC, this was in the late 90's) a handful. Suddenly the rear view mirror lights up red and blue and I'm pulled, doing at least 40mph over the speed limit. Tail between my legs I pull over and the officer walks up to me and simply said "We can see that you want to be somewhere pretty sharpish, but there is an oil spill on the roundabout about a mile down the road... take it steady and keep it upright" and off he went on his merry way. I 100% would have ended up on my arse if it wasn't for his advice!

So... anyone got any get out of jail free stories or tales of a friendly officer. Surely I'm not the only one!

PS I'm not, nor related to, any police or guard!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I pulled out from a junction, going nice speed but within the limit. I came up to a speed bump and went around the lower part, close enough to the curb but not excessively so... I spotted a pedestrian on the opposite side of the road turn his head, and someone else turn their head too, I looked in the mirror and next thing I see the blues behind me on an unmarked car. I was wearing ear plugs so didn't hear to two tone. I pulled into the next estate, expecting to have the riot act read to me, and got off the bike and took the helmet off, the lads drove by slowly, opened down the window and shouted "your pannier is open".... the curse of the Deauville!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I was sitting at the lights at rte on the n11 dual carriageway, heading for stillorgan.

Middle aged guy pulls up beside me in a new jag saloon, revving it like a twat.

He was quick off the line, but I was slightly quicker.

Then I see just at UCD (500m down the road), a cop.

I hit the anchors and yer man in the jag sailed passed me.

Garda stood in the middle of the road hands out and stopped both of us.

I was sure we were both going to get done.

He said to me:

"Go on ahead, he was going faster than you".

And a cheeky wink.

Dude in the jag was livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Gardaí are generally sound...

I was passing the bus terminal in Donnybrook one morning, in the bus lane. Garda had a queue of about 10 cars & bikes pulled over that had been in the bus lane... Was giving them tickets and stepping out to add more people to his lineup. I got off the bike (knowing it would be a while) took out a cloth, cleaned the headlight and license plate, took my helmet off, had my license ready etc. When he got to me, he explained that he had seen a car in the bus lane the previous day holding up an ambulance and was livid. He told me to tell the next three in the queue why they were getting tickets and I could go... No ticket for me 😃... Be sound to them and you might get it back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Lack of replies might be more indicitive of the majority not being so sound!

Some are but most I've dealt with aren't.

Post edited by BronsonTB on

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

It's a very specific question on a fairly quiet message board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, my experience has been the exact opposite.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Got stopped in Drumcondra years ago after picking up relations from airport-2 kids and mother in back and husband and myself in front- all tired and weary looking. Asked “why do you think you were pulled over? I said honestly I had no idea (I didn’t realise I was in a 50 or 60km zone at that point) - told him I was just collecting family from airport- he took one look at them all and told me to watch my speed next time - I don’t think he had the heart to give me a ticket considering I was doing the family a favour collecting them - fair play to him.

sorry just realised this is the motorbike forum 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My experience is limited but I reckon if you're not drawing attention to yourself on your bike the Gardai are quite happy to let you go on your merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Got pulled over on the motorway outside Bristol on the way to the Plymouth ferry in 2009. Silver BMW estate. I had been pushing on a bit but not going real mad. Overtaking in lane 3,back to lane 2 and was rapidly coming up on something in lane 2. This beemer was still in lane 3 and I was gradually backing off going to let him by and follow him.

Heart failure when the lights starts flashing and siren on. Into the hard shoulder,bike off, getting the helmet off and the passenger is at me. He says thanks for turning the bike off and come in to the back of the car.

The driver and him were full of questions, basically told me I had been followed by them with an average of 104mph. I honestly thought I was gonna get arrested. After the questions they seem to look at each other and signal. Passenger says "Consider this your bollicking, keep it under 100. When you are joining the motorway,join it at motorway speed".

Irish bike cops are sound too. Never met a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My eight year old has a habit of making revving actions with his hand when he sees nice motorbikes. We have a distant neighbour (that we don't know) who has a Ducati, young fell spots him coming up beside us in the bus lane and does the usual "rev it up" signal out the passenger side of the car, Ducati man dually almost shatters the windows of everyones car on the road with his monster engine & pipes only to be followed by a bike Garda who...... revved his bike up too!! Wasn't as impressive as the Ducati, but general smiles and laughs all round in the otherwise boring traffic.

Another time, driving from Sligo we inched over in the camper to let a very fast bike by, as he decelerated in front of us due to calming traffic the bike belched flames, myself and the youngfella pointed and laughed. The biker turned around and did a slow rock star nod.

We need more belching flames out of exhaust pipes please. I know it's expensive, but it's cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement