Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Great win for the minors, 2-12 to 0-10. Totally unrecognisable from last week. Some great combined play and excellent defensive work. No 2 Colm Keane magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

A famous victory.

Would you give any credit to the Management

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant win for minors and after last week not many would of saw tonights outcome coming.

I imagine we're playing Cork away in the semi finals. Let's hope gor good back to back performances something we have struggled with in this grade. Last year we beat Tipperary and then fell apart in the final

Great inspiration now for the under 20s tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Munster gaa twitter has Clare away to Cork but there probably will need to be a draw as both have played Tipp.

Seniors Footballers in action the weekend at home to Tipperary in the Munster QFs

Do we have a chance of an upset and then face the winner of Clare vs Limerick in the semi finals ?

We'll be in the Tailteann Cup unless we get to a Munster Final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

Munster gaa had this tweet:

Munster MHC Semi-Finals explained - as Tipperary played both Clare & Waterford in Group 1, the competition regulations state that the No. 1 team (Tipperary) will play the No. 3 team (Waterford). As a result, Clare will play Cork in the other Semi-Final

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Great win for the minors, fair play to them especially after last week’s poor display. Unlucky not to have beaten Tipp the first day out so hopefully they can reverse the result next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to the minors, very good win that. Sets up another crack at a Tipp side they probably should have beaten already. Would have been fair depressing if Limerick did a clean sweep on us at senior, minor and u20 in the space of 5 days! Over to the u20's now to turn them over tomorrow, with them missing Cathal O'Neill (having played the senior game against us on Saturday) hopefully it makes the job a bit more do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

buff Egan has the best of the minor game in his Snapchat if anyone follows him

some very impressive performers in that team, the corner back nicknamed ‘the bean’ apparantly (I think someone has been winding Buff up there) the no. 5 O’Connell from Abbeyside. Cummins and Twomey we knew about from last year. The fullback aswell

great to see some green shoots we needed that win. Underage performances have been disappointing across the board

• Advertisement

I don’t have the Snapchat 🤣

https://waterford-news.ie/2022/04/26/the-colour-just-wasnt-there/?fbclid=IwAR0v8fv6XocIq-HnbzWxvlvPRB4JxWKQKCwSW4m2DlHPTyrvDPdgrsVn5lU

liam not happy with support in limerick . Now we all know limerick at 7pm is not ideal for any Waterford supporter but there you go .

Best of luck to the under 20s

Would be great to make a Munster Final, match is live on the TG4 website and app. Deferred coverage on TV later

Great effort so far

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Great first half from the u20s. Had most of the ball during the half. Limerick forwards have been far more clinical but on general play our lads are playing great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Just tuning in now. Will one of the teams have a breeze in the second half?

It's the hope that kills ya

Limerick well on top now and we missed an absolute sitter in front of goal

Like last Sat too little too late

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

A 12 point loss when you consider that goals scored against Limerick don't count

17 wides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Have to give a specific mention to Joe Booth. Exceptional in the air and would have been my man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

How many wides? I reckon about 17. Our abysmal underage record continues. Some good players on that team but the same as the Tipp game didn't have any game plan. Limerick took every chance that came their way . The goal miss jesus and u12 player would have put it away. Some players with big reputations in Waterford anonymous again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good effort but yet again leaving it too late and missing easy chances esp that miss on goal. Say that management will get another year if there available

That bloody Gaelic Grounds, why can't we win upthere in any grade

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

17 wides to Limericks 6, that's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Once again a Waterford Under-20 team has lost a game they should have won. I reckon that if whoever was in charge of the Limerick team was in charge of Waterford instead, they would have won this game comfortably. This, for me, is the crucial factor which has left Waterford on the losing side time and again over the years.

This game was remarkably similar to the senior game last Saturday night in many ways. After an even first half, Limerick grabbed hold of the game in the second half, reeling off point after point, but with Waterford, displaying admirable fighting spirit, repeatedly hauled them back with goals. However, in the end Limerick had the poise to hold out.

Like last Saturday, Limerick played a much more-organised and controlled brand of hurling, establishing the midfield platform to send a stream of well-directed ball into their inside forwards. Waterford, by contrast, were playing off the cuff most of the time, and the quality of ball into the forwards wasn’t nearly as good. Yet, despite all that, the fact is that Waterford shot 17 wides against 18 scores, while Limerick hit just six wides against 27 scores. Put simply, Waterford had the chances to win the game comfortably. Their seven wides in the first six minutes, when they were totally on top, were particularly costly.

Their were also similarities between this game and last year’s Munster minor hurling final, when the same mentors were in charge of Waterford. On that occasion, Waterford persisted in hitting long puckouts down on a Cork half-back line which was completely on top. Tonight, it was obvious in the first half that Waterford were having problems with long puckouts against a strong Limerick half back line. Limerick’s third quarter dominance arose mainly from the fact that, every time they scored, they then got possession from the succeeding Waterford puckout and scored again.

The other big similarity with last year’s Munster final, and partly attributable to the insane puckout strategy, was the absence of any system for getting the ball to Waterford’s star forward, Patrick Fitzgerald. It was only in the closing stages, when the game loosened up and Waterford got some kind of a grip in the midfield area, that we caught glimpses of what Fitzgerald is capable of.

It is hard to believe, from what we saw in all three of Waterford’s under-20 games this year, that Ronan Power was a member of the team which won this year’s All-Ireland senior club championship. He was a liability tonight and should have been substituted, but of course that was never going to happen.

On the plus side, I have to salute Joe Booth for his superb performance tonight, and the marvellous leadership he provided in Waterford’s late charge. I expect a player who can win aerial ball like will have made Liam Cahill sit up and take notice. The other big plus from this championship has been the performances of Kilrossanty’s Pádraig Fitzgerald, who looks like the real deal.

When you think of the injuries to Reuben Halloran and Charlie Treen, Jack Ó Floinn’s needless red card against Kerry, and the silly rule which kept Cárthach Daly out of the team, one gets an idea of how close Waterford could have been to a Munster title this year at this grade. And whatever happened to Johnny Burke, who played a centre back in Waterford’s first game against Tipperary and wasn’t seen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The 7pm throw-in time was about money and nothing else. Prime time TV for Sky Sports on a Saturday night coupled with a bumper home crowd for the All Ireland champions. The last people to be considered were the Waterford supporters.

Liam Cahill is only looking out for his players and wants the Waterford fans to come out in force and back them. But he’s missing the wider point here which timing of the game completely disregarded the Waterford supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Limerick had some fine individual performances, e.g. English & O’Brien. Nevertheless, the Stats that you outline are proof that Waterford threw this match away.

Aaron Ryan couldn’t repeat his freetaking exploits against Tipperary; I thought that Patrick Fitzgerald should have been switched on to frees, early on ; then there were shots dropped short and the goal chance that was butchered.

I was impressed with Jake Foley whenever he was brought on for Ballygunner seniors yet didn’t even warrant a start on this U20s team ; he duly scored a goal when he came on last evening, nicely set up by Patrick Fitzgerald ; the latter had a couple of wides but no blame attaches to him ; he received virtually no decent supply (not for the first time) ; I also think he skilfully dispossessed Limerick players on 2 occasions ; what a prospect he is. Honourable mention also to the aforementioned Padraig Fitzgerald, Joe Booth and (in patches), Mark Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I don't understand this post. look my point put simply we were missing 4(inc lynch) for our game last Saturday night and won how our panel can be challenged in these circumstances puzzles me that's all I'm saying.

maybe I'm missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

You are definitely missing something, I’m not sure what.

Two of your theoretical 4 have cruciate issues and will play no part in 2022 Championship hurling. A third looked to have a serious hamstring tear which will probably keep him out until the All Ireland semi final and you would have to ask what his conditioning would be like after a serious interruption in a condensed series.

Any further injuries or suspensions and Kiely will have to turn to a bench that he only trusted to use two of tactically last Sunday in what was anticipated to be Limerick’s hardest match until the knockout stages.

Maybe the bench is so good they don’t need match experience? Or else Kiely doesn’t fully trust them, neither when Limerick were cruising 9 points up or when they were struggling to stay in front at three points.

Advertisement