Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It was a word on Thiago after the Utd game. Well it's Andy Robertson this time.

It's not so long ago that some were questioning whether he was all that much better than Tsimikas, but he has been simply unbelievable over the last couple of months.

Crucial goal yesterday. Crucial tackle on the line. On Tuesday, his defensive work gets us on the front foot for goals three and four. He looks as fit as you would look at the start of the season. He's rallying the crowd. He's digging Van Dijk, of all people, out when he's sloppy. He's just an incredible leader, professional and football player.

Trent gets most of the plaudits because he's English, and to be fair, he's probably the most technically gifted passer of a football in the entire league that's not named De Bruyne or Thiago, but Andy Robertson's ability to lock down one side of the pitch, run up and down incessantly, and have quality consistently in the final third - it's just remarkable.

if you could pick one guy on our team to score the goal in a tight derby game, it's him. he's the one they all love to despise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'if you could pick one guy on our team to score the goal in a tight derby game, it's him. he's the one they all love to despise.'

Reckon Origi is fairly despised by Everton fans more.

Great to have such competition though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So after Everton write to the refs about the pen the FA have written to Lampard to explain his post match comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Utterly ridiculous numbers from Alisson here:

Yet another reason why you can’t question the extremely high line. When you have the best 1v1 shot stopper in the league (and let’s be honest, world), you might as well take advantage of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Back to back clean sheets for Leeds now anyway, that's the sort of stuff we want to be seeing before their match with City on Saturday.

Marsch really does have them looking a lot more defensively compact now. They've not been great on the ball, but really all we need form them at the weekend is just to park the bus successfully enough, with that threat of Raphinha and Dan James pace on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I'm a bit more hopefully of them getting something now than I would have been before he arrived. A good point for them tonight but they're one of the few teams City face who still have something to fight for. We only need a draw Jesse although a win would be super!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Villa might have something to play for on the final day as well they are getting quickly dragged closer to the bottom 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Leeds still need the points anyways. Not safe yet and have something to play for against City.

Even if they don't, Gerrard will have them pumped for that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool should write to the refs to see why they didn't get a pen for this 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Advertisement

Yeah, like I can understand not giving both pens, but if you're giving the Gordon one, then you have to give the Origi one. Very similar types of contact. Ref was pretty consistent in that regard tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

It’ll be a miracle if Villa take anything from that game imo, they are really poor. Gerard will be lucky to keep his job there if they have a bad end to the season.

Yeah wouldn't like to be going into that one needing a result. The narrative of it is the thing that'd give you hope more than the actual reality of Villa's ability - and the last thing you want to be relying on is an unlikely narrative coming off!

For me it's really the outside chance of Leeds, and then the real chance of Wolves. Hopefully the Wolves game get's scheduled for an awkward time too. Feel like that's a game they'll always be up for, as they've a good record against City over the past few seasons. City only baaarely squeeked past a 10-man Wolves earlier in the season at the Etihad too, thanks to a very dubious penalty decision. reckon that might be on some Wolves players minds.

Even if Stevie himself has skin in the game, he ain't playing. His Aston Villa players are much less likely to care about City/Liverpool outcomes. They'll obviously want a good result for themselves but I can't see them doing anything over and above what they'd normally do for any other game in order to get that result just cos their manager is an ex Red.

And they're crap😁

That Wolves game likely to be the midweek before the final league game. I can't see anywhere else it can go. Strange it hasn't been confirmed yet. I wonder would they want to have us and City playing at the same time since we've to play Southampton too. They'll want both games on TV though.

Think it'd be good for us if they put it there, as it would make it their last home game of the season, which is one teams usually really turn up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Has the new manager bounce worn off? Or are the players not very good? I thought they had a decent enough first 11?

They've struggled a bit to fit all their pieces together - like Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Buendia, Ramsey, and Bailey are all good players, but they've struggled to find a combination where it all works. They've also reaaallly missed Nakamba at DM - he was playing brilliantly in Gerrard's first month and looked a player reborn, but he's been out since mid-December. Think he came off the bench for a minute or two over the weekend for the first time since then, so hopefully come seasons end he'll add a bit more defensive steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I agree with you here but for the role he has in the team it has to be said his delivery for a long time now is poor and nowhere near the quality of Kostas, if you count the amount of times he swings in a cross and how many actually hit a target its really poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Klopp spot on here with Origi....

Club legend, cult hero and a super lovely chap to boot, we all love Divock...

Some reports today that we have made contact with Tchouameni's agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's Santi Aouna who is pushing it and apparently he is reliable for French transfers. Ornstein also reporting on it.

Was he at Monaco when Fabhino was there? Maybe he can put in a good word for us!!

French Liverpool player *shudders* Although Konate hasn't been too bad

I don't think Tchouamemi will have any issues adapting to the PL. If he doesn't join us though I'd prefer if he went to Spain or Italy because he'd make every one of our rivals midfields better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'd be the perfect player we are short in the squad, can play 6 and 8.

Knowing our transfer business the next time we'll hear of this is Fabrizo with a "here we go!"

I'd like a RB too but there is literally not a single weakness otherwise, if anything an embarrassment of riches in every position.

If we could get him this summer and Bellingham next summer that would be the midfield looked after for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Speaking of Tsimikas, I think we might struggle to hold onto him this summer, he's way too good to be sitting on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I think we wont have a problem for next season, as he is still only 25 and has played a fair bit this season but yeah I agree longer term he wont want to stay around as Robbo aint showing any signs of regressing.

The same can be said for a few of our squad though. Ox and Minamino will surely move on this summer as they are not good enough whilst I'm sure the likes of Gomez, Kelleher, Jones, Elliott will all start to get itchy feet as the task of becoming a regular is very difficult

And Elliot as well. That's us sorted for 10 years.

Don't forget we have Carvalho coming too, granted he's an attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Manuel Lazzari at Lazio is a player I’ve seen play just a couple of times this season, but straight away I clocked him as an ideal backup for Trent. Very, very attacking and pacey wingback but he’s not too bad defensively either (not as good as Trent, who is perennially underrated at defending). Let’s be honest, a traditional no-nonsense right back isn’t what we need given the way we play.

Its obviously very unlikely we’d be in for a 28 year old wing back in Italy that doesn’t have too much buzz about him, but he’d certainly be on the cheaper end of the market and there’s little doubt he can bomb up the wing and get the ball into the box.

I wouldn’t be writing Neco Williams off, mind. He’s been excellent for Fulham and while he clearly isn’t a natural defender, it could be coached into him if the will to learn is there. And he obviously wouldn’t cost a penny. He’s more than good enough going forward at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wonder if he has a right footed twin that plays RB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Of course they scored within 2 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Stones off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Benzema unreal this season and 34 years old

City having to work hard tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I think Liverpool would rather play Real in the final if they make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm sure this will pox it but City going back to Madrid with a single goal advantage facing 90 minutes at the Santiago Bernabéu is something I'd say Ancelotti would have accepted before this game started.

Should be a cracking 2nd leg.

Think I'd prefer to face Madrid as our pace up front and high line at the back will be so different to anything they have faced this year and with the age they have in midfield that we should be able to over run them but then.................Benzema!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

City could have easily had this tie close to over tonight with the chances they missed. Real will make it a game in Madrid and that's all I wanted from this tie, make it a slog for them.

Hopefully we can get a decent win tomorrow. I doubt Villareal will do anything but sit in and hope to get us on the counter, even if we where to go 2-0 I doubt they'll change tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If we get through I would rather play City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would love to meet Real in the final for a chance to avenge 2018. The semi is nicely set up for a Pep implosion in Madrid now too

Real for me, love to play them in the final with a competent keeper. I think VVD would handle Benzema, Thiago would be super charged for Real and Trent would have free reign down the right side.

Great that City didn’t wrap it up tonight, hopefully they will take their eye off the ball this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Real Madrid over City. We have to get through Villarreal first and the won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Think Vinicius Jr would be licking his lips down our right hand side.

Madrid have a knack of raising their game in this competition, not many clubs with more history in it than us. If they took city out, they'd have had a tough run, PSG, Chelsea, City.

Whoever wins it from here will have earned it.

I don’t think PSG and Chelsea are good teams in form, they are big clubs I agree. Putting Hendo on that side to help out TAA would negate VJr, Id like to think. I thought Modric showed his age tonight against a fit team that gave him no space. For me, Benzema is the key. MC did not have their preferred full backs so VJr and Benzema had more space and time, I doubt VJr would have sprinted away from Walker. Hard to say when they scored 4, but if City had a centre forward to throw on, they might have scored more of those chances that just needed a tap in. If they go out, I wonder will they think that a starter like Kane would have been better than a £100m sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think Hendersons form has been bad this season, i wouldn't have him in our starting eleven in a champions league final if we get there.

Klopp tried Keita in that position last year, he just didn’t have the discipline to stick to what he was picked to do. If Hendo’s brief is just to stifle VJr and all TAA to roam by filling in at RB when he’s out of position, I’d be confident that he wouldn’t be able to do what he did tonight. But I’m getting ahead of myself, I’d still make City favourites to go through and if we get there, should be a thriller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement