Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Today on the Live Line 🙄

It didn't take long, Joe Duffy had a Call (Researchers) called her, A woman, outraged, appalled and furious.

It seems she discovered Ukranian Refugees staying at the Royal Hotel Bray (named later in the show) were being charged €5 for use of the swimming pool, when other "Residents" were apparently not being charged.

Joe of course wanted to turn it into a another makey uppy national scandal. The women was so horrified she cancelled her membership of the Hotels leisure club.

Essentially her argument was as "Residents" they should be entitled to free use of the Pool. Joe eagerly awaited calls from horrified listeners, he was soon dissapointed and cawlurs were angry alright but not in the way he and the original caller had hoped for. Joe was furious, like his RTE colleagues he won't tolerate any deviation from the narrative.

But what Joe and his Original Caller clearly don't get, if a Guest or Guests are on discounted or group rates, use of leisure facilities rarely included in packages. Another caller questioned if Irish people living in hotel emergency accommodation get free access to swimming pools, Duffy lost the plot all together.

So here we are, a snotty uppity women upset a hotel is charging Ukrainian refugees €5 to use hotels pool, the private membership of the leisure centre apparently €500 per annum.

I don't believe when government blocked booked hotels, their concern was access to leisure facilities and I'd sincerely doubt it was included in any arrangement they made with hotels.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If in an alternative reality if we were invaded and you were dropped into a foreign country, you'd well be able to sustain yourself and your 3 kids with no help?

The vast majority are just like everyone else, their "wealth" is in their home, work, social circles, educational circles, family, friends, etc. You know exactly like you and me but they lived in a different country. That country is now trying it's best to stave off Soviet Expansion, deal with a collapsed economy and it's own rather massive refugee problem.

So no it's a bit more serious than they left behind a few belongings.

I'm shocked Live Line is normally the bastion of common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Deeec

I know the vast majority will be poor. But it is possible some have large bank balances - even you know this is possible.

The vast majority will be "poor" because their fúckíng lives have been torn apart and they have been forced to flee their homes. Just like what would happen to you and me. What part of that is confusing you?

IF they have large bank balances I very much doubt they are sleeping on a camp bed in a sports hall in Arklow. 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

We've been trying to get my daughter into a secondary school for the last 5 years. Since second class. Every year we get a call to say, not even a sorry but "we have to RIP UP your application and you can apply again next year"

They have taken 24 Ukrainian children in this month not a bother.

I'm not angry as I can't even think of what you have to go through to move countries after being shelled to bits. But still I'm thinking in the back of my head, what a load of my hole.

40 min trek every morning now. She's not entitled to go there but it kind of sucks to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

There was a psychologist on media a few weeks ago who fled Ukraine, and ended up in Ireland, not knowing anyone only a patient of hers who was in contact with her and told her Ireland was great. She was given accomodation and I presume everything every other refugee coming here from Ukraine has got. I doubt her bank balance would have been empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

We care, but we don't care enough for it to be the detriment of our own society. As time goes on it will only get worse. That's the reality. Your way of thinking is not representative of the rest of the Irish population so don't force it on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Considering that the majority of Ukraine's towns are totally unscathed from the war, including the entire western part of the country (2 or 3 times the size of ireland?), you'd have to wonder why don't we just pay to temporarily house them there rather than here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think you are the one thats not getting it. We may very well be giving whole houses for free plus benefits over to wealthy individuals. Not every Ukranian is on a camp bed you know. Its wrong to assume all Ukranians must be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Everyone I’ve spoken to about this is angry about it. Not with refugees. With the government. It’s been building for a long time though. Years before this crisis. Irish people are being sh*t on from a great height for a long long time going back to the financial crash.

I don’t think that’s deniable to be honest.

Jesus, you have the bogeyman in your head and your not letting it go are you?

Salads and Bikes for all. We're grand.

You speak for the rest of the Irish Population?

Which election was that? Must have missed it. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like a lot of other refugees who have come here supposedly poor but have cars and enjoy holidays abroad despite living off 20 odd euros per week .

The Danes have the right idea pay towards your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Country is a kip. Work your hole off and just get robbed left right and centre.

I'm told here everyday if I vote for anyone else they'll just tax you more and take everything you worked up over the years and ruin the country.

But for the last 40 years of my existence all I've been is robbed while every tom dick and harry seems to get looked after and the country just gets worse and worse. Nothing for the middle man, welfare increases year on year for all and more cash for the millionaires. Refugee?? No bother mate house there for ya.

They take everything from anyone that has it and fling it around like there's no tomorrow. Exactly like I'm told what will happen if I vote for someone else. I'm not buying it anymore. Full off horse shite they are. Take and just piss it away.

They also seem to find billions in back of drawers when they want a pat on the back.

My one vote won't make a difference but FG, FF, Labour, Greens all the **** I've voted for over the years they can all go **** themselves.

EDIT: And everytime they always try spin it around to shift the blame on the people, yes we the people are the ones that cause the mess. Ask my bollocks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You do realise there are around 7m or so displaced within Ukraine?. Well over a quarter of the population have been displaced overall

Yeah, bloody sponging Ukrainians. Sure there’s loads of empty houses in Bucha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But we don't have empty houses for the 100,000 + families currently languishing on the social housing lists, and not enough houses for people who are desperate to get on to the property ladder because they can't afford sky high rents here , but we can suddenly find houses for 100,000 + Ukrainans and 40,000 + school places over night,

So that means 100,000 + Irish families left languishing on housing lists for another 20 years?

Nothing to do with sponging, it's the way the **** heads in government can all of a sudden cure the homeless crisis. Just not for their own people. 500 hundred new buildings identified all of a sudden, no caps on purchasing new build social houses, planning to be bypassed. Load of bollox.

I welcome all people in genuine need, couldn't even begin to imagine what it's like and I won't pretend.

Same like when when they said a while back for all the people in DP that after a few months no matter genuine or not they'll have their own door accommodation.

Just doesn't add up. No wonder people are pissed off.

Like I said. KIP

Its wrong to assume all Ukranians must be poor.

Sure, it is... they might be wealthy in Ukraine. Let me put it this way. I worked in China for quite a long time, and whenever I came home, changing my Chinese currency into Irish, I would lose quite a bit in value. Now, that's with China having a successful economy, and managing their currency values. That's also with just changing spending money, but when I transferred the majority of my savings during covid, I was hit with both the currency translation, but also the bank processing fees. Ouch. Not fun. Then, consider Ukraine, with a shoddy 2nd world economy, and a government that hasn't managed their resources all that well. Any Ukrainian seeking to change their monetary savings into Euro will be hit hard. The war makes it worse on many levels.

1 Ukrainian hryvnia equals 0.031 Euro. Think on that for a moment. That's painful.. and without the costs of tax, bank fees, etc.

So, there will be wealthy Ukrainians, and they'll manage on their own steam. I've met wealthy families in a variety of 2nd/3rd world nations, and they live a very different life to the rest of us. You won't see them taking camp beds, or staying in someone's house. It's not going to happen. However, for the remainder of Ukrainians, even when they're professionals earning a "decent" salary in Ukraine, they'll be far far behind Irish people. And lastly, consider the destruction of Ukraine.. for many people getting access to their savings will be a nightmare, since in many less developed nations, people use a variety of local banks rather than the national ones. It's very possible that peoples savings are locked down... but even if they weren't, the value would drop considerably in transferring it for use in Europe. And then, consider that once people spend their savings here, at a much higher cost than what they're used to, what will they have if/when they return to Ukraine.

So... do a bit of thinking about what it's like for a poor nation outside of the EU..

I wouldn't begrudge Ukrainians the financial support they're receiving. They do need it. Maybe not the extent that our government has been so generous with, but their own savings isn't going to get them far, even under normal circumstances.

It’s not a zero sum game. Short term emergency aid and long term solutions for permanent citizens are different things. For one thing, the Ukrainians taking emergency accommodation are taking it anywhere they can be accommodated.

Also, must never have seen much abroad if you would class Ireland as a “kip” in relative terms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hold on.

The government have been slammed for suggesting modular homes, bedsits, co living etc for housing homeless Irish people the last 10 years.

We have homeless hubs that the opposition constantly complain about.

Now all of a sudden these types of places are suitable for the Irish homeless because Ukrainians might actually be grateful for them???

Fucken spare me.

His point is still valid though. It would have made more sense to establish the majority of refugees in the Western side of Ukraine, or in Eastern european countries, rather than sending them all over the EU.

However, I don't think anyone could have guessed the trouble that the Russian military are having. The assumption was that Ukraine would fall quickly, and we'd see a rapid movement of Russian forces across the country, so moving people out of Ukraine made a lot of sense. Especially, when many believed that other Eastern European countries would be targeted after Ukraine fell, as Russian momentum would keep them moving forward. So, moving the refugees away from the expected expanded conflict zone made sense. Kinda.

Why are people suddenly upset about foreigners taking housing?

Half of the 10,000 homeless we have had for years are foreign and 2/3 of the people on Dublin’s social housing list is foreign.

Weldone for finally waking up lads….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Where did you source those figures from? My understanding is that Fingal has the highest % of foreigners on the social housing list at ~50%. It’s significantly less in other local authorities.

Regardless, it’s an indictment of a system that enabled people to move here, who are not economically self-sufficient.

Ok let’s go with 50%.

Where is the outrage about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

What outcome would outrage achieve? It’s not going to magic up houses for Irish people stuck on the lists for years, is it?

Personally, I think it’s symptomatic of a failing immigration system. We should be screening for people who are likely to be economically self-sufficient, and yes filtering out those that are likely to be a burden on the state.

This pertains of course to economic migration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement