Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder how long it'll be before "reports" surface of towns being devastated by exploding hydrogen cars

Happens almost as much as those EVs that explode when they're charging or driven in the rain

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think you'd be in more danger from a Opel Zafira than any other car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I really can't see anything wrong with plugging into a slow charger for a prolonged period of time. Whether it's free or paid is irrelevant, it's a SLOW charger, meant to charge SLOWLY. Also, it's a waste of time plugging in for 20 minutes while you run around Lidl, not worth pulling out your cable for that. If someone else is stuck for a charge in the middle of a journey, an 11kw, or less charge is not what they need. It just might be of benefit to the very few cars that can use the full 22kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Most of the Lidl chargers clearly state one hour maximum. They are free and they are for their customers. It's taking the Mick to charge there and not shop or to exceed that time, unless maybe you stay with the car and stop charging if someone else comes over.

I agree it's pointless to hook up for 30 minutes if your car can only charge at 7 or 11kW. You've just saved yourself a max €1, meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

A lot of EV drivers take the low running cost thing very seriously. Every € counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Slow chargers are only of any value if you can plug in for a prolonged period. If suppliers don't allow that, it's surely only green washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

A lot of them think its a place for EV’s to park. That was one of the reasons we had to get rid of our full EV, which we used in our day to day business.

A lot just park their EV’s and don’t even bother plugging in, I did challenge one of them, he said they’re places set aside for “us”

That's an oddly specific car to pick, did you have bit of an altercation with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They had a reputation for catching fire. The issue caused 2 recalls. But they still caught fire, causing quite a lot of damage in places.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, didn't one catch fire in a multistorey car park in Denmark? And the fire was originally blamed on EVs of course

EDIT: it was actually in Norway, but it was a Zafira

Wow, I'm almost surprised that multistorey car parks don't just turn them away at the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There was a Zafira going up in flames nearly every month in this country alone a good few years ago, even more than BMW diesels with the EGR issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

If you care that much went running costs, a bicycle is a better option. Unless you’re buying a very old Leaf, the cost of the car dwarfs the running costs.

+1

Even if you plugged it in every single week for your weekly shop (and there is likely going to be some waiting around for that too as these free charge points are at least sometimes occupied), then you will have saved about €30-€50 per year if your car can only charge at 7 or 11kW. That's a lot of work for very little saving.

Back in the day when I could 50kW DC fast charge for free at my local fast charger, where I passed several times a day and I could see from the main road if it was occupied or not, I did if I was near empty. Back in the day when my car could 23kW AC slow charge at my local Lidl and those charge points were rarely taken, I did and used to stay on for another wee while after my shopping doing a bit of work reading emails etc. Both of these would (nearly) fill my car up to full, saving having to plug in at home that night, so effectively costing me very little / no extra time. Now, I don't.

Well truth be told a bicycle may not be a realistic option for a lot of people. If you need to haul around 2 kids and a week's shopping then you're looking at a bike costing several thousand, at which point you're getting close to Leaf money

And tbh if I lived in a rural area with narrow roads that people typically drive at 100 on then I wouldn't feel safe getting on a bike

Having said that, I'm seriously considering getting a Radwagon if I end up commuting to Dublin, and I'll be able to bring the kids to school as well. In time, we might drop down to a single car, but I don't think that'll be for a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Not disagreeing with your last point but that doesn't take away from the fact that many EV drivers really value free charging and will waste valuable time soaking up as many free electrons as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

The saving one makes at the free charger is balanced by mistakenly buying a spoiled banana from too much joy of getting the charger unoccupied.

I dread the "free" word. For me free means non-guaranteed, non-contractual. It can change with no prior notice and leave me uncovered. I strongly believe the ecars state today is due to the long period of "free" charging. I don't think there is anywhere in Europe such a long running network in such a deplorable state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I guess the point of this discussion is that there should be charging opportunities pretty much everywhere you park where you tend to spend time anyway. Everybody's needs differ (different journey lengths and whether the particular user have usual overnight charging availability for example). And free charging is bad in general as that leads to people "saving money" where they don't in fact need to charge in that particular time or place.

So, in my opinion, every cinema, shopping centre, park, hotel and tourist attraction in the county should have banks of pay as you go AC available. And, again, in general every public car park above certain size in the country should have the same with an increasing number of spots as the EVs become more common. The supermarket carparks should all have DC chargers like what LIDL are doing now. And every filling station in Ireland that have say 3 pumps or more should have a DC charger with capacity for at least 2 concurrent users. The towns along tourist routes like WAW should have two or more DC chargers as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The free charging makes sense in a place like Kildare Village, somewhere they want to attract you to, as there's a very good chance that you will spend many multiples of what it will cost to put a few euro of electricity into your car, but like any free charging, would always be open to abuse from locals, but at least they've 18 charging spaces there, so its what you want to see.

When we were at the Cliff's of Moher last year the guy said they were looking into installing chargers in the carpark. I think paid charging would make sense here, say €5 on top of entry fee upon entry to get access to a charger - plug in as long as you like. Same in a place like Tayto Park, a fixed fee designed to keep you there as long as possible (spending more money), and you leave with close to a full battery.

I've specifically gone to hotels/restaurants and spent a fair chunk of cash all because they have (free) Tesla Destination chargers there. They are giving a little, but getting a lot back in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

The lack of chargers at WAW is chronic in general and places like the cliffs would really help. I agree that Kildare Village is actually really good and free access is fine for time being as there are so many chargers. Might be a good idea to tie the usage for something like spend some money there in the medium term as any free charging near a town will easily attract locals that just park there but don't bring any custom. And as the place attracts people from all over the country it would be great to prioritise people that genuinely need to charge there as opposed to people who want to just freeload, and a small charge to use them priced at 30 c/kWh or similar would stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

I see that permission for the Circle K hub is granted https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/91720

I wonder what would be the timescale until we see it live. less than or more than a year?

Well one of the advantages of EV charging is that assuming most of the grid infrastructure is there or nearby (it should be) the installation should be pretty quick, as in a few months rather than a year or so

So on the assumption that Circle K is fairly ready to go, I think we could see the hub open in 2022

Looks like there may be some hope for the electric bubble car (or even 2 cars)

I don't know why, but I really want one of the Microlino cars. They're about as impractical as it gets for me, can carry exactly half my family or maybe 2 days worth of shopping, but I could still see myself zipping around in one

Love them myself but the last time I looked they were looking for silly money. This really should be a €9999 max car. And that is including a big nostalgia premium.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think your fine there. An hour is nothing. It is annoying that grabbing 3 kWh in that hour has saved you about 40c and in that sense is probably move the car once my shopping was done if it was a PHEV with 3.7kw Charger only.

Other BEV’s could be pulling 22kw from that machine if the PHEV wasn’t there.

But overall I don’t think your being too selfish if you get me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement

Oh yeah there's definitely the nostalgia tax included. I think they're starting at €12.5k for the small battery version 😱

Far cry from the Ami which costs around €4k in France IIRC

Still, I guess they know their audience, I'm sure they'll sell well enough to justify low-ish production volumes

They're nippy little things as well, can do 80km/h supposedly. I'd love to blow past some kitted out Golf with one just to see the drivers expression 😁

Advertisement