Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

It's a silly argument for the anti-EU crowd. The spread of European population to Ireland isn't any kind of threat, because we share a commonality with regards to western philosophy and the impact of Christianity on social development. Typically, Europeans share the same basic values regarding personal freedoms, most morality, etc.

When it comes to foreign (as in not native/originating to Europe) populations, there's not much to be done there. Anyway natural immigration would provide that influence anyway.

The problem with his argument is that it ignores the control that any particular nation has over it's own development, and how that nation can regulate the influence of those foreign groups. Now, the Irish government (or our political elite) has repeatedly shown their inability to put Irish people first, and to control the establishments of enclaves, similar to the same failures in other European nations, but there's some hope that as other European nations cop on, so too will the Irish. If only to copy them, which is something our politicians tend to do anyway.

Ireland needs Europe. Anyone talking about leaving the EU has zero comprehension as to how our economy operates. Yes, we have strong links with the US, and generally, it's the US multinationals that tend to get all the attention, but we've also got a huge amount of investment from European companies, along with investors into Irish companies, who would pull out if Ireland left the EU. Also most of the US companies are here because we are part of the EU... sure, our tax laws help significantly, but our connections with Europe are incredibly attractive. Lose that connection, and it would be much more difficult to retain those companies.

In any case, we need the EU for a simpler reason. This is a world of giants. The US, China, the EU, etc.. coalitions of countries because economically, small independent nations fare poorly in negotiations over trade and general diplomacy. The few small nations who can stand alone successfully have managed to do so by offering services built up over decades or centuries... something Ireland has not done. So, any talk about leaving to EU is utterly retarded.. and would lead Ireland back into the 1950s as our economy buckles, and we have to pay higher rates on imports into our island on the boundary of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ireland needs Europe. Anyone talking about leaving the EU has zero comprehension as to how our economy operates. Yes, we have strong links with the US, and generally, it's the US multinationals that tend to get all the attention, but we've also got a huge amount of investment from European companies, along with investors into Irish companies, who would pull out if Ireland left the EU. Also most of the US companies are here because we are part of the EU... sure, our tax laws help significantly, but our connections with Europe are incredibly attractive. Lose that connection, and it would be much more difficult to retain those companies.

The problem is, Ireland joined the EEC and in the last 20 years it has morphed into something very different. The EEC is still a good project if only we could unbolt al the crap added in since the 90s.

Brexit, Orban and Le Penn getting strong support too shows that people are not happy with the direction of the EU despite the regular "opinion pools" bandied about by proEU media.

Oh, I completely agree. The EU should never have been allowed to start regulating culture, and becoming some kind of leader on morality or humanitarian causes. It should have stuck to just being the EEC.

As for the shift in Europe, definitely yes, many people are not happy... but Europe is not Ireland. Entirely different environment and levels of exposure here vs there. Europeans have had to deal with migrant violent crime, organised crime, human trafficking, expansion of drug related crime (migrants acting as mules and organisers), terrorism, social conditioning, violent political protests (by foreign political groups), and ever increasing rises in costs.. (etc etc etc)

What have Irish people experienced? We're so far behind the curve... it's coming, but most Irish people are oblivious to what's been happening in Europe, because RTE doesn't report it, except in the most shallow of ways.

I love European culture myself, the more the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

I prefer American culture and so do most Irish people.

• Advertisement

Italy is the next one. Good chance Brothers of Italy and Lega Nord will in power together. Melanchon is France is a Eurosceptic as well and Macron won't be running again. The next French election will be more interesting than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

I've been to Africa many times, great memories, beautiful people and many amazing cultures. Lesotho is a particular favourite of mine, been there 4 times

I prefer American culture and so do most Irish people.

Do they? How would you know that?

And no, watching the big bang theory or some tv shows isn't any real indication of admiration for American culture. I suspect most Irish people have very limited experience or knowledge of "American" culture (TBH I'm not even sure what is American culture, considering how much they've taken from other places)

• Advertisement

The amount of people who will go see Garth Brooks is a good indication. The local radio station is always playing music from American bands whether it is county or pop.

You're joking, right? Garth Brooks is a pop country singer devoted to love songs (I've seen Garth 3 times). At least, if you went to see Willie Nelson, you might hear songs about the lives of people, covering the issues of depression, poverty, etc. People tend to connect with music for the emotional reaction they get to the instrumental aspects and while they might connect with the words, linking them to their own lives, there's very little exploration of culture. Even less interest in reading about all the culture that influenced that singer to write the songs.

I did a stint in Japan and to prepare for it, I read a pile of books on traditional Japanese culture, articles on politics, their history etc. Pretty much anything I could get my hands on, because I'd be dealing with Japanese people from outside the cities. It was useless, because cultural knowledge can only be transferred through direct experience, and the awareness of what is so different (and the same) around you. Reading about culture relies on the perspectives of people who are generally biased and will paint that culture in a variety of ways... but it's rarely accurate or up to date.

You, like most people, have the most superficial appreciation for culture, especially that of foreign cultures. Listening to music or watching a TV show isn't any kind of indication that you appreciate or properly understand American culture, it's simply that you like which boxes that show triggers.

American culture is a hard one because so much of it is hidden behind BS propaganda, and wishful thinking rather than dealing with the cold hard facts of how people live. Then, there's the sheer size of the country, and the range of State's, each with their own culture, all contributing to the overall American parent, but.. still very very different. Try comparing what the culture is like in Texas vs that of the culture in New Orleans. They might as well be different countries with entirely different population groups. Still American but how they express themselves to nowhere the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I love it how people going to these 3rd world countries always say how beautiful they are, although they always stay in hotels locals cannot afford and they get vaccines and malaria tables before going there, which locals either cannot afford or don't have access to.

Indeed there are beautiful places there. Places. We aren't getting places.

Neither is yours. Saying that Africans should remain in Africa isn't automatically racist. As racism relies entirely on race or culture being the distinctive aspect, in connection with superiority, hate or contempt. If the poster is pointing to the lack of education, skills, or the differences in culture which prevent Africans from having successful lives in Western nations, that's not racist. It's just not PC. Just as it's not racist to point out that Africans in most European nations, the majority tend to be unemployed or reliant on temporary/insecure jobs. It's just not convenient for those who want everywhere in the West to be more "diverse" regardless of the consequences involved.

That's because places and scenery tend to be static. People look away from the grimy, cruel, harsh lives that people lead and focus on the beautiful scenery instead.

Still, I have to wonder though. It's hard to look anywhere in African cities to ignore the squalor, the poverty, etc. Africa is beautiful in the countryside, or some of the small townships, but the cities are pretty dingy places. Sure, the tourist and wealthy areas are gorgeous, but.. they're obviously fake in comparison with the remainder of the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I have been to Africa several times and i hated it . I did stay in top resorts went on horseback safaris etc etc all the great things about Africa are not the people they are disconcerting and foreboding. The smells, the dirt the poverty the gangs hanging around it has a very menacing aura out side of the very fine places developed by europeans for europeasn to holiday there.

The same people are now coming to europe at great risk & expense and instead of trying to integrate and become european they are just creating the same hell holes where they land i.e Look at Calais Greece italy all becoming types of **** holes . Unfortunately they do not join the culture they come into they just bring the bad with them which seems pointless since the point of going is to embrace a better place to live and be.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I am not from Israel nor do I have any connection to it other than having visited it once as a tourist.

Thats not the post I was referring to. Keep up

Kinda hard to do when your posts amount to vague soundbites lacking any real definition.

I stayed in a hotel when I went to Waterford a few weeks back, was quite lovely actually

• Advertisement

No place is without problems, including our own 🙂

Lesotho is a truly beautiful place, with some of the most amazing scenery you will ever come across though I wouldn't recommend doing the mountain drives at night, in a thunder storm, that was squeaky bum time lol

I didn't meet any criminals though I promise to keep an eye out the next time I go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We can’t afford it, financially, logistically, socially or anyway…. It’s fûcking up the wellbeing of the country, it’s citizens, an astronomical strain on us in every way. Every day and getting worse. We need to get back control of our borders or we’ll be seeing a couple of hundred thousand per decade arriving. Be great in 25 years when some of us are due to retire, country hasn’t a pot to pîss in, not a hospital bed in sight…. Roads clogged to fûck, no cash to enable public transport improvements to cope… housing literally everywhere, welcome to the concrete jungle state… already see them building gangbusters in sleepy backwaters like Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton…as well as more central locations..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

RAPE capital of the world and 7x the average murder rate, 6th highest in the world for a tiny country which is 43% the size of Ireland aren’t anywhere near “problems”. They are horrific stats. 90% of prisoners are rapists ffs.

I don’t believe you were ever there. I reckon you picked it as it’s the most dangerous country and it’d get a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Highest rate of HIV between 15 and 49 year olds in the world.

6th worst murder rate in the world with rape almost a pastime.

great, sure invite them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Religious devotion will blind people from reality

WOKEness is a religion

Don't need you to believe anything but I was there several times, as well as to other countries in Africa.

Been to the US, Canada, loads of European countries and Brazil too.

Haven't made it to anywhere in Asia yet but its on my to-do list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It reminds me of Conan O'Brien going to a luxury resort in Haiti and taking a photo, as a gotcha aimed at Trump for daring to say that Haiti was a shithole. The safe places in these nations, is a tiny, tiny fraction of the whole, yet a fraction they'll exploit in the name of one-upmanship. It's honestly beyond disgusting how dishonestly these types play political football.

I meet a man last summer, who was a literal political prisoner, who was held by terrorists in an African country. He was an aid worker who went over there with liberal utopian views of the world, and even before he was kidnapped, his views were shattered. He went from being like many pros on this sub, to being a massive anti purely by seeing the savagery of the Middle East & Africa. What he seen was the real conditions and behavior, because he wasn't staying in luxury resorts, he was on the ground seeing exactly how they lived. I was going to link articles about him in the name of veracity, but I wouldn't want the mob to go after him.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Morso when you don't bother to follow a thread properly. Carry on

I had a similar Damascene conversion back in 2002 after being exposed to Southern Africa with work

• Advertisement

Looks like this situation is going to be sorted pretty soon, good to see they are able to work through the issues to get these folks here ASAP

RTE news : Refugees from Moldova here as soon as possible - Dept

Advertisement