Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Do you always play the man not the ball? Someone like you!, i bet your a green voter, vegan and a atheist / you see we can all make generalisations ions....

Anyway Yaddy ya ya, what do you think people are thick.... We all know of the benefits of triple glazing upgrading etc but guess what we all dont have a spare 25k lying around to get it done.

The people getting it done first most likely would do it anyway as they have the money but guess what your greenie solution is to tax the poor more to subsidise them. Only in the green world is that a solution

Pippa of the 200 acres telling everyone else to eat cake... Typically green. Hasnt a fuvking clue of the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The same home owners who after being taxed with "carbon taxes" are then told that these same carbon taxes

"will fund up to 50% of the retrofit costs"

The same "retrofit costs" with even 50% off are more than most can afford with what they've been left with, having been hit with these same carbon taxes and rapidly rising costs of living costs.

Thing is these same carbon taxes have been around since 2010 and have funded fcuk all except the wailings of those only to eager to see the country go down the shiter quicker than a Russian Sukhoi Su-34 in a tailspin.

I agree, the carbon taxes should be much higher in order to reduce the cost of the retrofits even more for those less well off. Good idea

Who is saying

"carbon taxes should be much higher in order to reduce the cost of the retrofits even more for those less well off."

That would be yourself yes?

So even more people across the board won't be able to afford these "deep retrofits" at all

Well that's a great idea.

Bizarrely you seem to be under the misapprehension that the majority of people in Ireland are not already heavily taxed. The same people who as a result of high taxation have fcuk all disposable income.

Lol. Genuis. Yet another wonderful clueless green policy idea

• Advertisement

The carbon taxes will be increasing by €7.50 a year until 2030 at which point they are likely to double to €15 a year

There'll be plenty in the pot to pay for retrofits and other climate action items laid out in the CA plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Ahh don’t tell them, it will be a surprise

Plus the bigger surprise is no party have said they won’t implement, so all the crying and name calling about the Green Party, if they are kicked out in next GE who will they blame then?

I am sure if another small party is part of the government they will get the blame….that’s the way isn’t it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But you believe we should bring in as many immigrants as possible and increase the population.

Meaning increasing the amount of people that need heat and transport and also flights into Ireland.

It sounds to me like you are campaigning for the opposite of cleaner air.

So I'm a bit confused that your completely contradicting yourself in two different threads.

Maybe two different people are using your account, one that wants policies for cleaner air and one that wants policies to do the opposite.

I don't think you have any idea what you want going by your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Perhaps, perhaps not. But taking money from some people and giving it to others doesn't make us any richer.

Today, in the IT, housing targets and climate targets.

You can't have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Greens will be annihilated at the next election.

They are toxic now.

• Advertisement

The fact the green party are certain to be booted considering their shenanigans during the period of this government.

And that doesn't mean that green policies have to be bad , but when you've got politicians who are running a personal crusade regardless of EU policy on energy requirements during the period of transition to renewable energy generation and deliberately giving the finger to the population at large, then you can be absolutely sure they're getting the boot. And good riddance.

Very disingenuous painting carbon taxes as an once of increase of €7.50 without context

The carbon tax is applied separately to each ton of fuel purchased whether that's kerosene, marked gas oil, liquid petroleum gas, fuel oil, natural gas and solid fuels.

The €7.50 increase is per ton of fuel and is added to the existing rate of carbon tax on each fuel type.

Carbon taxes have been rising incrementally since they were first introduced in 2010, well over a decade ago.

Budget 2021 included an increase of €7.50 from €26 per tonne to €33.50 per tonne.

The increase applied to auto fuels from October 2020 and to solid fuels from May 2021

A further increase of €7.50 was announced in Budget 2022, from €33.50 to €41.00 per tonne of carbon dioxide emitted. The increase applies from 13 October 2021 for auto fuels and 1 May 2022 for all other fuels.

And this direct carbon tax is just one element of the cost of living increases that are impacting people under green policies

Everything from transport, to logistics , energy costs, fertilisers, insulation to the paint on your walls of your house face rapidly rising costs because they are now reliant on much smaller range of expensive resources because of those same green energy policies.

And btw that's not even taking into consideration base carbon taxes applied at the wholesale level to energy generation.

And no - moving to more renewables even quicker (which is the usual bolloxolgy offered as a solution by some ) doesn't work because as it stands at this point in time for the simple reason that renewable energy generation remains unreliable.

I don't know whose pot you're looking at. But most peoples disposal income simply won't be able to cover these deep retrofits. That is unless its been 100% funded by the already shafted taxpayer.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wow, the victim mentality is strong in this post.

When I said someone like you, you automatically assumed that I was insulting you.

Your attitude is so short sighted. Using 'triple glazing' as an insult when this is how standards gradually improve.

It's a bit like me laughing at the eejit who payed €2500 for the first smart phone when the bog standard 200 euro phone I use now is a thousand times better in almost every way

Some technologies are purely commercial and live or die based on whether the public buy into them, others are transformational, and governments will deliberately subsidise them in order to 'pump prime' their adoption to accelerate the adoption curve.

There is a chicken v egg scenario with any new transformational technology. They are too expensive without economies of scale, and they are too inconvenient without the infrastructure to support them. This is why we need the people with more money than sense to spend some of their disposable income on being early adopters to alpha and beta test the new technologies and support them while the infrastructure is deployed, so that the price can come down and they become functional enough for the mainstream

The alternative to this is the chinese model, of building everything first, and hoping that it works out afterwards (see their 'ghost cities')

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you don't understand the difference in flexibility between enshrining something in the Constitution and making a law through the Oireachtas, well I don't know.

Really can't see the point you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Because everything is opposed for opposition's take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'd say FF and FG are certainly appraising Ryan carefully for not keeping them apprised ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

You'd think that they might reduce / eliminate taxes on smokeless coal to encourage people to change? All stick no carrot.

I reckon that they have set the Green agenda back by about 10 years, with their stupidity.

please clarify who "someone like you" is ? you probably think im like something out of deliverance like all country folk ?

anyway your attitude is so short sighted that you cant address the fact that the so called retro fit scheme is just a leg up for some

rich folk to do some home improvement work they would of done anyway with the less of in society paying for it through carbon taxes.

https://www.thejournal.ie/retrofit-plan-5676114-Feb2022/

also when that eejit you refer to paid 1200 for the phone did he get 50 percent off the government to but it ?

if the greens in government were serious about climate change etc they would concentrate on upgrading all the lowest rated homes in the country in poorer economic and rural areas instead they will end up with a load of B rated houses in south county dublin becoming A rated subsidised by the rest of society as they are the only people able to afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Perhaps you cannot see the point because you do not wish to ?

On other threads you were blinding us with your supposed knowledge on all thing legal and constitutional, so perhaps you can explain what the greens have failed to do.

How do you even word a proposed bill where it is legal to gift or sell turf to another member of a community of 500 people or less where it would become an offense to do the same within a community of 550, and how would you define and draw borders for a community to even begin with ?

Post edited by charlie14 on

Ah yes, the "we can't let anyone into our country from outside the EU because of emissions due to the increased population numbers" argument that falls apart when you point to

• natural population growth through births
      • Only way to stop this is to stop births, are you also arguing for this?
    • returning Irish and their foreign families
      • Only way to stop this is to deny returning Irish permission to come home, are you also arguing for this?
    • EU citizens moving here
      • Only way to stop this is to leave the EU, are you also arguing for this?
    • etc etc

I do always get a great laugh out of reading it though, truly hilarious that some folks struggle to understand that you can do more than one thing at a time. But thats not it at all, they are simply trying to wrap up their xenophobia in a transparent cloak of caring about the environment.

As I said, hilarious stuff altogether 😂🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Love the analogy Charlie, and so true, had a LOL moment ! You sure hit the nail on the head there.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Carbon taxes on my 120 gas bill alone yesterday was 10 euro for 2 months.

Thats just gas alone.

So this nonsense it’s only a small amount is lies.

So happy it’s retrofitting the wealthy peoples houses though…

trying to wrap up their xenophobia in a transparent cloak of caring about the environment.

Well that's a bit more than disingenuous. The UK green party* and other Green parties are on record recognising that there is a need to consider population presures with regard to environmental and ecological impact. I guess they must be all xenophobic then?

Wrapping your argument up as "stopping" people making choices about fertility etc is simply bs as is trying to sensationalize the normal movements of EU and Irish citizens

*From the UK green party

There is a limit to the level of ecological impact the Earth can sustain. The number of people on the planet, their levels of consumption and their local and global impacts are key factors determining how far the Earth's ability to renew its resources and to support all life is compromised.

Even within this limit, high rates of population growth, as well as local depopulation can have a damaging effect on sustainability, equity and justice.

Carrying capacity' is the term used to describe the population that can be sustainably supported in any given region. It is not a fixed number but depends on consumption patterns.

There is a need to explicitly consider population since, if it is ignored indefinitely, the risk of over-consumption of natural resources will increase, leading to conflict and ultimately a reduction in carrying capacity.

There are many causes of population growth and some of these must be addressed to avoid overpopulation. Causes may be as basic as a lack of family planning information and contraceptives. Inequality and lack of opportunities can result in people having more children than they would otherwise want.

Ireland's population could double and we'd still have a long way to go before we'd be talking about over population of the place

Follow your logic here step by step:

1. People cannot afford retrofits
    2. The retrofit subsidy is too low
    3. People cannot afford to pay more tax

Now, lets look at what is being proposed:

1. Higher subsidies to help people pay for retrofits
    2. Higher carbon tax to pay for this

What are the outcome of this?

1. More people will be able to afford home upgrades who couldn't afford them before:
    2. The cost of these will be lower
    3. Their energy bills will be lower
    4. Their home values will increase
    5. Their carbon tax will be lower
    6. Their environmental impact will be lower
    7. Their home will be more comfortable
    8. Their disposable income will be higher
    9. Some people who cannot afford even the cheaper retrofits will have higher energy bills

Solution for point 9 above, increase the subsidy for retrofits or introduce interest free loans to cover the costs

Interest free loans when used for retrofits will:

1. Reduce their energy bills
    2. reduce their carbon tax burden
    3. increase the value of their home
    4. reduce the environmental impact
    5. Make their home more comfortable to live in
    6. lf the term of the loan is long enough it would likely save more than the cost of the loan repayments, and would the savings would increase year on year due to inflation

You don't require "over population" to take into account very real population presures with regard to environmental and ecological impacts.

Covering ireland in even more concrete and tarmac isn't going to help anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Where would we put those people?

We can't house a few thousand from Ukraine or our own.

Yet you think we if we added 5 million people we would still have a long way to go before over populating.

Please explain to me in detail how we could provide housing, accommodation, education and a health service if we added 5 million people to the population.

I look forward to your realistic detailed plan to accommodate 5 million extra people.

You are a gas man altogether. Honestly, I get a great chuckle out of the funny stuff you post

A person in the past who derided people for investing in double glazing just like you are deriding people now for investing in triple glazing

• Advertisement
Advertisement