Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And yet , it is still significantly higher than at any time during the previous Presidents time in Office - Or indeed any other President in the History of the Nasdaq.

But that has nothing to do with Biden just like all the rest of the Presidents before him ,because they have next to nothing to do with the Stock Market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well that’s me told. Every time I read something on a discussion forum I have to either accept it as true or do my own research to prove it true

So how about this? Biden isn’t responsible for the the Nasdaq being down, it isn’t down over the course of his term anyway. If you don’t believe, do your own research to prove me right. Giving tou evidence to support my point isn’t Needed anymore! This is great.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The Nasdaq Composite is a stock market index that includes almost all stocks listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange.

The NASDAQ Composite (^IXIC) was at $13070.69 on 24/01/21 and today is currently at $12490.74.

So no the NASDAQ is not up anything its down.

Ohh. That’s embarrassing. Those charts are the Nasdaq from what I can see.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What has Biden done that has caused this? What policy has he initiated?

• Advertisement

Absolutely no comment, I am truly astounded at the stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Will that be your gimmick instead of answering what Biden policy you blame for the Free Market doing Free Market things?

Enough evidence for you Brian? Or do I need to stay up later and do a little more for you.

The Nasdaq Composite is a stock market index that includes almost all stocks listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange.

The NASDAQ Composite (^IXIC) was at $13070.69 on 24/01/21 and today is currently at $12490.74.

So no the NASDAQ is not up anything its down. And yes Biden and the Democrats are responsible for this mess, yes there are underlying factors like Ukraine and others. I am almost certain but please correct me if I wrong didn't Biden say the buck stops with him?

I have already shown you up tonight on a couple of occasions in the last few posts, you really want to continue down this slope. Personally I'd like some sleep. Maybe do some educated reading and research and comeback stronger tomorrow night.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What evidence is that it's Biden policies that are causing this dip, though?

You made the claim, it is up to you to provide the evidence. We can all read that the NASDAQ is down. We're not thick. What is being asked is that you provide proof that it's down to Biden's policies.

Don't ask us to do our own research, because it's a great waste of time when you won't accept anything that is put to you. We're asking you why this is down to Biden's policies and you won't pony up.

That's how a discussion works.

• Advertisement

Brian made the comment and I quote "So how about this? Biden isn’t responsible for the the Nasdaq being down, it isn’t down over the course of his term anyway" I provided the evidence it was. As for the policies the are causing the dip, as I said do you own research. Maybe look to explain why Biden has 5 million unaccounted for in money reported in dealing with tax income statements and the hunter affair. As time goes on, all will be exposed. In the meantime educate yourselves. And yes wall street reacts to market conditions and government policy. And as I mentioned before Biden has stated the buck stops with him, but tries to blame everyone else?

Dodge duck deflect, eh?

Thats a lot of mental gymnastics to avoid naming a single Biden policy you say is responsible for the free market in action here?

So its Hunters fault that the Nasdaq us down?

You acknowledged that Ukraine is having an effect, along with others. How much if the drop do you attribute to them and is Biden making this better or worse by his policies?

From this article is would appear that some of the drop is down to nervousness in the market rather than anything specific.

"But for the moment, market participants are just selling the most volatile assets—tech shares included—and buying the safest ones like government bonds. “It’s a very nervous market,” said Tyler Richey, co-editor of Sevens Report Research. “You’re seeing people sell out of anything that is high beta [volatility] and into anything that’s safe.”"

The question being asked of you, since you are adamant that it is down to Biden and not only that but posters are refusing to accept that fact, is what has Biden done or not done, that is to blame?

Very quick couple, then a little more later this evening.

Biden extending the student loans again and again. Causing major waves in the financial market.

Keystone XL pipeline

Foreign policy and easing of tariffs.

Anyway as I keep saying do your own research and educate yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

That reads to me as a very vague list of things you don't agree with that therefore must be having some effect. And feelings can certainly play a large part in the performance of the market, as I posted that nervousness seems to be the current feeling within the markets.

Biden extending student loans? You really think this is having a negative effect on tech stocks? Since he has actually done nothing, then student loans are already priced into the financial markets. Doing something, like writing them off for example, that may well have an impact, but keeping things the way they are seems an odd reason to believe that the market is dropping.

Keystone pipeline. This was never in operation and I really don't see how not going ahead with this would have a major impact on the tech stocks

Foreign policy? That is a massive area. You need to be a bit more specific. What part of foreign policy? What has changed that has led to a negative impact on the market?

Easing of tariffs? Surely that would be good for business, good for business sentiments and thus good for the markets?

You have been very strenuous that people need to do their own research, overtly stating that people are refusing to see the facts because of their political bias in favour of Biden. Your list reads like a general list of things you don't personally like rather than anything that would actually impact the markets.

So, shifting the burden of proof constantly?

Biden is lucky to have people like you who, effectively, ‘cover up’ all of this criticism of him because you are simply too lazy to try and shine a light on it.

Love how 99% of his replies are basically HELLLLLL YEAH I AM BOI

I don't think that's what he had in mind.

After a silence for 4+ quarters on the GDP, Republicans are finally ready to talk about it again as Q1 2022 GDP shrinks, by negative 1.4%

That still puts the last 4 quarters including Q1 at 3.4% growth (down from 5.7% across Q1-4 2021) , but still clearly never good when shrinkage happens. Still, people wanted costs to go down, and Deflation is Recessionary.

Republicans got dunked on today in the House when they continued to play by a playbook they wrote, and that was leaked to the NYT last week, written by Jim Jordan which evidenced their plans to spread misinformation about migrants for the midterms

April 22, 2022 

WASHINGTON — House Republicans plan to use an inspection hearing next week to attack the Biden administration over its immigration policies, according to a memo obtained by The New York Times, which provides a road map for how the GOP intends to pursue an issue. Already the main thrust of his midterm campaign message against Democrats.

The detailed, 60-page guidance memo contains misleading and provocative talking points that seek to portray migrants and refugees as perpetrators of horrific crimes, particularly those involving sexual assault, which the former president There is an echo of the language used by Donald Trump to denigrate immigrants. It also argues that the Biden administration has been lax on illegal immigration, seeking to put Democrats on the defensive over the issue.

It comes as Democrats are increasingly concerned that President Joe Biden’s immigration policies, including a recent decision to lift pandemic-era border restrictions next month, could pose a political obligation to him ahead of the midterm elections.

The memo – which is marked “confidential – for internal use only” – repeatedly hints that immigrants may be sex offenders, highlighting a handful of arrests and Afghan evacuations at the southwestern border. It also misrepresents a Biden administration policy designed to humanely enforce immigration laws that would prevent law enforcement from surveying sex offenders near schoolyards.

Studies show that the estimated 40 million immigrants living in the United States commit crimes at much lower rates than Native Americans.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Meyercas is set to testify before the House Judiciary Committee for the first time on Thursday, just as the administration is preparing itself for a surge of migrants making asylum claims at the border in late May. That’s when a public health rule limits border crossings due to the pandemic, known as Title 42, on top of two of the claims on top of the high volume of migrants usually arriving at the southwestern border. Year’s backlog is scheduled to be removed. spring.

The memo for Republicans, prepared by Ohio Representative Jim Jordan, the ranking member of the committee, details how Democrats rightly plan to use the hearings to advance “far-left policies” that All want to end immigration enforcement and even “encourage” illegal immigration.

While Jordan’s memo was circulated confidentially among Republicans, he posted on Twitter that he planned to grill Meyerkas over Title 42 and other immigration issues.

A spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security did not respond to requests for comment about an upcoming hearing or the outline of the attack.

Kerry Talbot, deputy director of Immigration Hub, a pro-immigrant organization, said, “Republicans continue to use immigration as a political spoof to scare voters at every turn, knowing they have killed serious immigration reform at every turn.” Have given.” He ridiculed the immigration agenda of Republicans, alleging that “they want to build a $15 billion wall that a $15 hand can cut.”

And she has defended Biden’s handling of the issue, saying his administration has a plan to “safely and methodically” manage migration spikes.

Many of the attack lines previewed in the memo are not new. Instead, they appear to be drawn from the same political playbook that Republicans have used in recent election cycles. In 2018, Trump adopted a dark, anti-immigrant message to energize conservative voters ahead of the midterm elections, raising concerns about caravans of migrants claiming their trek to the southern border was dangerous. This method yielded mixed results: Democrats took back control of the House that year, while Republicans won seats in the Senate.

But Republicans have continued to push for an issue that not only generates fear but has additional appeal for them to create division within the Democratic Party. According to Jordan’s memo, he plans to accuse the administration of prioritizing “illegal aliens over US citizens” by abolishing Title 42.

More than 100 mostly progressive Democrats have demanded that Biden lift border restrictions, which they say his administration has abused black immigrants, while centrist Democrats, including about a dozen in the Senate, have called for restrictions.

White House officials have noted that ending the ban simply means going back to a standard immigration processing system that is in place in many administrations. He has also pointed out that this would result in more people being deported.

Still, the decision to end pandemic-era border restrictions has raised concerns among several Democratic lawmakers running for re-election in competing districts. He has warned the administration that crossing the border could raise voters’ concerns about border crime and chaos in their districts.

Progressive Democrats countered that any attempt to further increase the restrictions could reduce turnout among Latino voters. In a recent poll conducted by Immigration Hub, nearly 20% of Latino respondents said immigration was an issue that would decide their vote.

Even in a political climate dominated by concerns about inflation and rising gas prices, immigration remains a powerful issue for voters across the board. Forty-one percent of Americans said they worry about illegal immigration being “a big deal,” according to a recent Gallup poll.

At the same time, Biden and Democrats are dealing with pent-up anger among liberals about Trump’s harsh immigration policies, and are pressing every opportunity to reverse them.

“The same Democrats who bet their voters that strong border security was unethical now have little room to maneuver for progress,” said Jack Pandol, communications director for the Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC aimed at the Republican majority. is to build. “It is an inevitable trap of his own creation.”

White House officials said they see no option but to lift the pandemic-era restrictions until Congress passes legislation to increase them. But Democrats are divided on whether to do so, it’s unclear whether there would be enough support to pass such a bill, and party leaders are reluctant to introduce a measure that will help their progressive supporters. will annoy you.

Efforts to pass a sweeping immigration overhaul that legalized the status of millions of people living in the US illegally have stalled amid Republican protests, leaving lawmakers few options to take action.

“There are many other ideas for reforming our immigration system,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Wednesday.

“All of this will require the action of Congress,” she said. “We are happy to have a conversation with them.”

But Jordan’s document shows why no such discussion took place in Congress. It suggests it came just months after Republicans joined Democrats to help enact legislation to help thousands of Afghans in the United States who were facing retaliation for helping American soldiers. The GOP is showcasing such refugees.

• Advertisement

Media complains, Biden presidency 'too normal, boring, have to be an asshole to make any headlines around here'

• (D)uring the age of Biden, a perch inside the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room has become something altogether different. It’s become a bore.
    • “I can’t think of any [stars],” said a well-known television news executive. “I don’t really watch the briefings.”
    • Running for office against Donald Trump — the most theatrical, attention-seeking, Beltway-panic-inducing president in living memory — he pledged to make Washington news boring again. And, well, mission accomplished sir.
    • “Jen [Psaki] is very good at her job, which is unfortunate,” one reporter who has covered the past two administrations from the room said. “And the work is a lot less rewarding, because you’re no longer saving democracy from Sean Spicer and his Men’s Wearhouse suit. Jawing with Jen just makes you look like an asshole.”
    • Gone are the Tweets that sent newsrooms scrambling. So long to the five alarm Friday news dumps that had editors frantically rearranging weekend plans.
    • “It’s a boring and difficult job. It’s tough to be a White House correspondent if you want to break news, they’re so airtight,” another reporter who covered both the Trump and Biden White Houses from the briefing room. “There’s no Maggie [Haberman]. Who’s the Maggie of the Biden administration? It doesn’t exist.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Oh I see Bidens administration acted fast to setup their own "Ministry of Truth" once they lost control of Twitter.

The absolute state of the person heading it up. Very much a partizan Democrat .

This Administration is just stumbles from one disaster to another.

Already caught lying since getting the position

Can you tell me what you’re talking about or do I have to watch that video?

they/them/theirs

Sorry link didn't post properly it's up there now Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think he's moaning about the fact that the DHS is going to start taking a proactive approach to right wing misinformation, especially of the likes they keep putting in the global headlines like "BIDEN SUPPORTS OPEN BORDERS" etc. which, you know, may be a contributing factor to the high number of migrants Biden has had to arrest successfully by the millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In summary Biden has appointed a democrat activist Nina Jankowicz to head up the Disinformation Goverence Board aka Ministry Of Truth. This person is not fit to do this role she pushed the fake narritive about Hunter Bidens laptop being a Russian Disinformation operation. Her job is to stop all online criticism of the Biden administration.

Also interesting timing with Musk's Twitter takeover. Hopefully it doesn't get off the ground. Although I'm sure you guys are all for it.

I don't expect anything but distain from posters on here about my posts but it is good to show this information for others to see and do their own research.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This Disinformation Goverence Board seems to be on very shakey constituion grounds. Based on some of the standard texts (eg Oxford Introduction to US Law) there are both strong protections and a willingness on the judicary to uphold First ammendment rights. Hence to propose such an oversight committe, apart from its legal dubiousness, seems to betoken a lack of political insight given how this could easily be perceived to be a partisan tool and hence provide political talking points in the uncoming November elections.

Advertisement