Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's certainly very boomy out there I feel. I'm looking at construction groups on facebook..."should we wait for prices to come down before starting our build" being met with the most common answer of "no, prices will never come down, better to just get on with it"

I'm getting a whiff of desperation from buyers to get their mortgage drawn down before the potential economic problems ahead. Buy buy buy at all costs, check behind the couch for spare cash to throw onto a bid.

Deutsche Bank have today said they see the US Fed needing 5%-6% interest rate target to bring inflation down which will induce a recession. Meanwhile the ECB are still sitting on 0% and haven't even started to tackle inflation. It's bad when the US are the sensible ones...

The markets are in freefall. Regarding property, what looks like a reasonable price today could look far overpriced in a years time. Look at this 4 bed semi D in Enfield...370k advertised, probably go for 390k...what would a new house go for??

15 The Drive, Innwood, Enfield, Co. Meath is for sale on Daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Price is not just a product of supply.

If the median wage for example in Ireland was 15k, prices would not be what they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

reports this evening that russia has stopped the gas to poland for non-payment in rubles - gas up another 17% today on european markets ..

looks like serious headwinds on the way with consequent knock on effects eventually here on disposable income and ultimately irish home buyers purchasing power

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

That would lead in the demand side. If that happened over night demand would drop off a cliff as the current prices would be ridiculously out of reach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Buy whatever the price! When the **** hits the fan again, just stop the mortgage repayments and you'll get away with it for years. Before having a massive bit of the mortgage written off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Twitter could have been bought 3 times over from the drop in tesla shares today. 125billion knocked of the value (there's no decimal in there)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

So Deutsche is in serious trouble and an indicator of a crash incoming a page or so ago in the thread. Now they are quotable as being good indicators of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Another thing ive been seeing the last while is people wanting to get their house bought and their mortgage fixed for the long term, before rates start rising like mad along with prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Wouldn't trust Deutsche as an indicator, but they seem to be the first bank to be bearish and their agenda seems to be one of spread mass hysteria in the business news regarding an incoming recession. They probably just have a big short position open on the Nasdaq 100. Anyway with the way every other currency is falling against the Dollar, this will make Emerging Countries currencies even harder to pay, hence Sri Lanka. Once these countries start defaulting I think this could be the spark to ignite it all.

Anyway we were warned about talking about non property related stuff, so best of luck to people in the house hunt is tough out there.

Saw this in Limerick 07/08 when the writing was on the wall for both jobs and topping out of house prices

Seemed kamikaze at the time. Little did we know

• Advertisement

Eur may surprise people, Has the bloc ever been more united than it is now. External threats may fast track more unity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The same effect would occur with interest rates rising. You will instantly and overnight cause property prices to drop by raising rates because mortgages all of a sudden become more expensive and less affordable. Since the ECB has sat on their hands for so long, seeing 1 or 2 percent increases to a mortgage will look reasonable compared to what will be needed. At this stage, there is hyper inflation in assets and it needs significant measures to cool the market.

Remember, those who don't own property don't care if prices increase and will happily see rents and prices completely crash. This is no longer just a far left leaning minority of hippies but is becoming a larger, more mainstream view as more and more people have no interest whatsoever in high property prices (80% of under 35s in 2016 were not homeowners - this is almost certainly going to be similar in the recent census but could even be extended to 80% of under 40s). The current situation is leading to an inevitable outcome where house prices won't rise because the public simply don't want and need them to.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know quite a few people who bought back then.

When the crash happened everyone thought they were screwed. A couple of them even sold at a loss a few years after to get away from having property. Some had to or couldnt even if they wanted. A lot lost their jobs and had to stop paying their mortgages.

One thing they all (the ones that didnt sell after or during the crash) have in common now though is that they are more than half way through their mortgage and are out of negative equity and only delighted that they bought then. They had a few hairy years, but what we see now is that if you wait it out and dont panic and sell then you are better to have a fixed amount to pay out for your lodging than an ever increasing rent. And we know know that its ok to stop paying your mortgage. You can still live in your house.

Current rents makes what they are paying in mortgages look like the best deal ever.

Their mortgages will all be gone over the next few years, but rents will just go up.

It seems that time does indeed heal. If you dont overstretch and are forced to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...the eu is a funny place, its uniting in ways, and tearing itself apart at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The EU are crippling themselves by sanctioning Russia - but also by not raising rates to combat inflation in the eurozone. The large amount of covid debt taken on, aswell as not having sorted out the PIIGS situation means that rate rises could be catastrophic, but not raising rates will devalue EUR more and more.

We won't be seeing much of a rate hike or anything to curb inflation, and with sanctions on Russia (largest individual supplier of timber) construction costs in EU are going to rise too. If we dont see wage inflation then housing activity will slowdown as cost to built outpaces the price most can pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some political and economic theory posts with nothing to do with the thread (and far to many warnings) given have been infracted and deleted, other posts deleted to return thread to some coherence.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Double-digit rent hikes across the USA. It bodes ill for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Higher costs because the sky is the limit is the only justification for the current situation. It is cuckoo land thinking and people don't seem to realise that the central bankers are stuck with either forcing through a "recession" or else allowing housing costs to impoverish more and more people.

But can inflation really keep soaring, in particular housing costs? Absolutely not. What we want to see is the heat coming out of the property market and then more sustainable policies being introduced to dramatically increase supply of all types of housing, in order to make sure that prices can't run away again. It is just not going to work in 5-10 years onwards to have "your home is your wealth that always rises" attitude. That system is ending in Ireland quite rapidly.

If you think that what is happening with housing costs is sustainable, again I have to ask you if you want to buy my magic beans that will grow you money tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Rent hikes were "only" up around 9% the last three months of 2021 I heard on the radio but the last two months with the war have caused an unnatural spike. Landlords are getting out cause they know now is the time to cash in. Its caused an extreme shortage and while we were paying 950 for a 3bed on the outskirts of Ennis, we are having to move and fork out 1400 for effectively the same (arguably nicer, more modern house, worse location). It feels like the last bit of cash is being squeezed before they know things go tits up. I.e lock people into a year long tenancy of high rent regardless of what happens in the next two months.

I'm a bit disillusioned with the whole thing. 37 years of age, good job, mortgage approval and fighting with others the same as myself over what scraps are out there knowing I'd only be making the purchase based on desperation. Just feels like your given two options and both of them are ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Obviously you hear about how bad things are but i did not know how bad things were till i put a room up to rent 3 weeks ago. Hundreds of replies and i was looking for what i thought a high enough rent for room.People even offering more. I think covid cooled a massive accommodation problem for a bit but since economy back open and hospitality jobs are back the problem has exploded. Now we have the Ukrainian crises but more fuel on the fire.

Notices should go up in Brazilian airports not to come to Ireland to live . They wont get accommodation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Covid didn’t cool the market.

the market for rentals peaked in 2017-2018 and from 18-20 some sort of normalcy returned (and house prices nominally dropped slightly). I put up a small room for rent in Ballsbridge for 700/month in 2019 and only got 7 enquiries first day.

and then it all went wrong starting in Mar2020…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Heard a story today of friend who has a lad in school. He has a polish mate and he said they are moving back to Poland because they are being evicted again for the third time in a couple of years. He is due to go to college next year and the mother desperately wants stability for him and not have to move school yet again as a result of being forced to relocate.

How does a country that has for generations endured the heartbreak of losing its people in search of a better life because it was complete sh!tshow in times gone by, now faces the same prospect because of our success.

The property owner in this country is a protected species in the eyes of the Govt to the detriment to society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I dont recall this. I belive when covid started in March 2020 the rental market cooled a bit. Alot of foreigners went home and the propertys that people were renting on Airbnb hit the rental market as tourism died. It remained cool for most of 2020 and into 2021 but since hospitality has opened and colleges back on campus it has got absolutely nuts in last few months. Anybody who has put a room up in last few months will know this.

My mother is a landlord of a pre63 in d1 and i look after it for her and I let 3 flats there last summer. Yes demand was high but nothing like I saw when i put a room for rent in my apartment a few weeks ago. I think at this particular time you do not want ti be looking for a place in Dublin. Absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm convinced a lot of lets are being kept off the market because the LLs want to chalk up the 24 months vacancy that frees them from the current RPZ rules. I personally emigrated back in August because it was clear that Dublin was only going to get worse, and a lot of other regulars here are about to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

its amazing to hear the original eastern europeans that came here 15-17 years ago moving back home because rents are far too unstable and high now .... to be replaced with new ukranians/moldovian arrivals .. the difference this time the irish state/ tax payer will be paying the artificially high rents for all the tens if not hundreds of thousands of new arrivals - thats if the ff/fg government which created this housing/rental mess can source sufficient houses to snap up from first time buyers & young irish renters - or the states precarious finances can bear the massive cost to come ...

the back lash from the housing/ rental policies the last 15 years will be severe in the next election should this issue continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

My mate just sold a camper to.a young couple in Dublin, their family home has rear access to the back garden and they are parking it there. But let's keep on holding up developments for years, let's talk about " no! To 4 floor high rise " no proper taxation on land or property at all. Basically lets tax virtually nothing and lets let a handful of multinationals and any one earning over 36,000 and losing half their salary over that pittance, fund this dump!

The young coming out of school etc, would be insane to stay in this corrupt and backwards country...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The specific text that caught my eye was the "property owner in this country is a protected species". The reason we are we are is down to mismanagement by the Govt. Be it stopped building of council properties, unwillingness to deal with Anti Social issues in existing estates or non payment of rents/mortages both in social and private properties.

I am a landlord who has worked and sacrificed (and am still doing so) to purchase a property to rent. Why? so I would have a pension and not need to rely on the State to care for me in old age.

I have a genuine question? Why is someone else's rights higher than mine? I bought a property (and pay taxes etc on the income) and should have the rights to do with the property as I see fit (once it is not interfering with the neighbours and is not an eyesore or health hazard to society). Are my taxes not supposed to help society in general. Why am I as a citizen of Ireland who happens to be a landlord and worker be expected to go even further to help those who can't house themselves. Is this not what my income tax and everyone else's income tax supposed to cover?

If you own a car should you be forced to give it to your neighbour to use because you are not using during certain times? the principle is the same.

I have personal experience of family members leaving Ireland in the past in the 80's where no jobs existed in Ireland. Ireland's political system has gone to far to the left. We have this bizarre notion of an "entitled culture". I regularly talk to people who when talking about social support actually use the term "I am entitled too ...". The fact they actually use the term "entitled" in their conversation shows this belief is ingrained in their minds.

Mods I appreciate this is a property forum but I think the above issues play into the property sector.

I'm aware of a Polish family who have a child in need of medical care. The family has been involuntary separated because the chances of getting that care here are horrendous. Mother and child have returned to Poland to get the care needed.

This may be no surprise to the majority here, but a thought came to me. How come this country can be so good at so many different things where there is international competition, yet be so dysfunctional in areas where we have total control. I'm looking at you housing, health and to a lesser extent education.

For our younger readers/contributers if you want to know what Ireland would look like if we left the EU. Look no further than our health and housing, everything was a protectionist racket. I say this because people will always finger point and look for someone to blame be it EU, euro left or right. The simple truth is that there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things.

People say we have gone too far left in a world where we had a decade of money printing in response to a decade long housing bubble bursting.

The result being that all assets are now in a super bubble I'm struggling to find leftist policies in those 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

You raise valid points and to be fair, I would feel the (well intentioned such as yourself) private landlord is treated very shabbily by the Govt in contrast to the institutional landlords.

My comment is more broadly speaking at all property owners, hence why I said 'property owners' rather than 'house owners'.

Advertisement