Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do People Scarify Their Lawn Every Year?

Options
  • 26-04-2022 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I have a big enough front and back lawns, the back takes me about 50 mins and the front 30 mins from a lawn mower that has the self drive gone bust about a decade ago or more.

The front has loads of moss less so on the back but loads of thatch. Do people scarify every year? I'm looking at the stihl rl540 which the local shop said is coming in soon.

Is it worth it to buy one and do a light scarify every year I don't hear much of people scarifying unless their lawn is full of moss in forums? I did hire one a couple years back that was massive which I had problems getting it back into the car and wouldn't fit through the door way of my shed overnight. The last few years I did rake bad patches in the lawn but it's gone pretty bad again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Some do but not many. A lot do it once find out how much efforts involved then never again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually rake the lawn in spring - probably not scarification by most people's definition, but that's more to raise the grass which has been growing horizontally across the ground, so the lawnmower can reach it. we don't have a big lawn front or back though, and i've a manual push mower which has no 'suck' effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, i broke my bolloxs 10 years back aerating & scarifying my front lawn with the intension of getting rid of the moss once and for all, within a year it was back again😒

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Yes, I do and am in the market for a new scarifier, could you tell me where the stihl you mentioned is in stock ? It gets good reviews. If you're looking to make life a little easier apply some mo bacter moss killer to the lawn before scarifying and it will help to get more out.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

I'm in Mallow and they said it will be in stock in the next few days for €700 well that's what they said anyways. Might get it for a little less if I haggled but not by much. Those stihl mowers always look like toys to me.

Went out yesterday and did a bit of raking, there's a lot of thatch as well as moss so I think I'll bite the bullet and buy it. Now to find a place to put the thing and it's another expense as my mower is over 15 years and could go at any moment but still going well bar the self drive.

The last time I scarified, afterwards mowing the lawn was much easier now it's like a workout. Thought many times of using mo bacter but will cost me a fortune for the size of the lawn. I've been raking spots in the lawn each year and like fryup says you end up breaking your bollox and I am only doing patches.

Thing is my TV in the bedroom just broke and I was planning to buy a new one just bad timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I had a lawn that was 70% moss so 3 years ago I started scarifying, aeriating and overseeding Spring and Autumn and it’s down to 5% moss now. It’s a medium sized lawn that takes me 50 minutes with a self drive lawnmower.

I got an electric scarifier in Lidl a few years ago and it’s doing the job well.

Post edited by black & white on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I bought a relatively cheap electric one in Aldi/Lidle some years back. Its only a small one which had a small collection box in it. I use it on a large garden, i cheat by taking collection box off and holding the "on switch" engaged via a bungy rope, simulating box being attached. By their nature ..pulling thatch up ,they are self propelling and thus no effort. When all lawns are done I drive around on ride on collecting the thatch. Haven't done it in 2 years so definitely doing it this year and then will apply a weed and feed which I haven't done in about 2 years too. From experience both do make a difference but need to be done probably every other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is just applying a feed with Moss killer etc an option? I've done it in the past with a rake and it was bloody hard work.

Raking by hand is too much work for anyone (IMHO) A weed & feed is an option but you are probably better off doing them separately. Either Lawn Sand first and then a fertiliser or maybe MoBacter which contains fertiliser but much stronger moss killer (it absolutely stinks for a couple of days though). An electric scarifier is worth buying if you're going to do the lawn regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thanks. The price of the scarifiers is a bit off putting. Might keep an eye on Lidl & Aldi for a cheaper version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Yes. A couple of years ago i bought like a power rake adapter for the lawnmower, swap blades and it rakes the thatch and moss, very effective but aggressive and lawn looks rough enough for 2-3 weeks, but its shocking the amount it removes.

Like you i have hired them in the past and each time they have had blunt and worn blades, and @50 a pop x 2- 3 times a year i was able to justify buying a dedicated machine this year...it was only delivered a few weeks ago so havent had a chance to use it yet, but i will give the lawn a light going over in a few weeks, every 6-8 weeks moderately rather than what im currently doing with the power rake blade this is what i got...took just under 3 weeks for delivery. https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/marina-systems-390-petrol-lawn-scarifier-briggsstratton-cr750-163-cc-engine-p-22122.html

Few pics of the recent scarifying, was done just over 5 weeks ago so growth only really started the last 2 weeks. All done with the "power rake blade" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0843P9GZD?tag=amz-mkt-fox-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0050-win10-dsk00-nomod-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-feature-scomp&ref=aa_scomp

People might say its a lot of effort, but i enjoy it.

Iron sulfate maybe the start of march, scarify mid march, 4 in 1 feed maybe a week after that, then spray of dicophar a couple of days after the fert.

Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm not sure I'd spend much money on one, I had one and sold it on last year after doing the lawn for several years but it never really improved it, I just have the sort of soil that likes moss! I did the aerating thing too one year, another waste of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If there's a need to scarify every year then there's a cause of the moss that needs addressing.

Most of the advice I use on my lawn came from this guy, hope I'm allowed to post his Youtube channel, if I'm not I'm sure I'll hear soon enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Not really, the moss can be sorted with iron sulfate, scarifying removes a dead layer of thatch that stops rainwater getting to the roots of the grass plant, you verticut the lawn making individual plants and getting rid of side shoots/rhizomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reelingtheyearsin

Would something like this work towed behind a ride on?

We have a bad moss problem but do have a ride on. This is €160 on donedeal.

(Not sure how to insert a link)

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/100cm-lawn-scarifier-free-delivery/27649523

It looks like it might work, I don't have a ride on nor a garden big enough to justify one. Is there videos available online of it working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yep they work but sometimes need a couple of concrete blocks or filled 5/10l water carriers strapped on top to get some penetration.

The really dumb thing about them is that if you could mount them on the front of a lawn tractor with a bagger system you could vacuum up the moss as you go. Snapper used to do a system that did just that.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement