Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy treated timbers in Limerick

• 27-04-2022 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am planning on building an outdoor enclosure for a cat.

Just wondering where you think the best place is to pick up the Timbers to build the frame.

I hear Mcmahons are a bit pricey?

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Go to McMahons' timber yard and ask to take a few unpainted EUR pallets. They may give them to you for free. Disassemble the pallets and build :)

NB: pallets are untreated. But it is better to paint untreated wood in my experience rather than use treated timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

McMahons or Chadwicks. Priced some lately and chadwicks were cheaper all round

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭monkeyactive

Thanks but I think ill try and get timbers , the pallets although cheap wouldn't let me build what I'm thinking of without a lot of work.

So do you think its better to get untreated timbers and then paint them with special paint for protecting wood? I would be painting the treated timbers anyway and the untreated timbers are a good bit cheaper

Post edited by monkeyactive on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

From the web:

"How do you paint treated timber?

You can paint pressure-treated wood. But, if the lumber has been chemically treated with chromate copper arsenate (CCA), surface-treat it before applying paint. Use exterior latex paint instead of oil-based paints or stains because the chemicals in the treated lumber are sensitive to oil-based paints."

Also I got the recommendation to weather the pressure treated timber shed for half a year at a minimum before painting it, otherwise the paint would not last.

On the other hand, untreated timber can be painted with stain or any other timber paint immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

Buy untreated and treat it yourself,if you treat it before cutting and assembling then treat the cut edges as you assemble it. I'd treat it at least twice before assembly if it was me.

You can't really paint over creosote (or whatever the modern name is for it) so use a wood preservative that you can paint over if you want to pain the finished product.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Try Tadgh O'Conner in Newcastle West. Found them much cheaper than McMahons last summer when building a shed. They have all prices on their website (unlike McMahons) and you can order online. I never went anywhere near the store. www.toc.ie

Advertisement