Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

the bedsit was a place of peace away from everyone & everything and very necessary for the homeless as they are often afraid to go into the shared hostels as they get robbed & beaten up by the drug addicts. A family man who may have lost his home as the wife gets it to raise the offspring would often find solace in a bedsit Now these guys are on the streets. Banning bed sits was another stupid decision on the governments part bacause we have a middle class lot on good wages who never lived in a bed sit or had to experience any of the hardships with in our society so banning them doesnt touch them or any of their families.

This is the main problem, in the government they dont understand the underbelly living in ireland and i am not saying the drug addicts and criminals i am saying the people who have slipped between the cracks due to marriage break down or job loss, stoic people who want to work and dont do drugs and drink but life choices and marriages have abandoned them & so has this up their own arses government. The love fest towards the Ukranians is just un believeable. Europe is a huge land mass dont understand why we have to take them ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

So it’s not possible for whoever it is to ever raise a valid point is what you’re saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had a bedsit sit all through college and then another bedsit when i worked in the UK, and another one when I came back to Ireland. I only moved into a house share when I couldnt find a bedsit. And back into a bedsit after that. I wasnt hard up at all. I chose the bedsit because i liked hgaving my own place but didnt see the need to be paying more to get a 1 bed apartment until i moved in with a girlfriend.

he bedsit was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It was green party policy to get rid of bedsits and they succeeded... I allways thought myself there was a place for clean well maintained bedsits in any housing policy especially in large cities. They were used by workers saving for something better, students, the loner type who liked their own space, the workers from down the country who used them monday to friday, when they were outlawed that choice was taken away from many and replaced with far more expensive options, a major blunder imv which did more harm than good to the housing situation

• Advertisement

M.any bedsits were in an appalling condition, unsafe electrics, and manky, overall I think it was the correct decision to ban them, remember the pressure came from the various homeless NGOs, such as Focus Ireland, to have them banned.

no doubt the green party introduce alot of taxes as well, the green party in germany wont startup the nuclear power plants but take russias gas, I wouldnt be voting for these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Bedsits need to come back and have a certain standard.

Ffs there are studios apts now going for 1200 p/m where people cannot open the door of the cooker fully and in the same room as the bed with a manky little partioned bathroom not far away.

Whats the difference, is a bedsit not the same thing?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we please try and keep the discussion relevant to the actual topic

Bedsits are very clearly not an option without a change in law

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How about actually making the accusation that you're dancing around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I didn't answer the questions because the answers would be bald and obvious. The context is what gives the questions value and I addressed the context. You know the answers to the questions already and you asked those question seemingly on the basis that they present the finite rebuttal of the State's approach to this crisis.

For example:

1. How will it be paid for? The same way anything else is paid for by the State, which may come at the expense of other things in the reallocation of finance. There is no magic money tree and so the State will spend what is deemed to be feasible.

2. Where will people be housed? I imagine wherever they can be housed, which may come at the expense of others.

3. Where are all the hard considerations? They might not really exist in any satisfactorily solid way. Some of it might be rash, some of it may well be virtue signalling. But we are dealing with a war in Europe and the responses, plans and thinking just aren't going to be perfect or necessarily lead anywhere positive. These refugees aren't going to disappear and so it's either a case of European states sharing the burden of an unwanted situation or dumping it all on one or two.

Ireland didn't ask for this war, but nor did the Ukrainian people and least of all the Ukrainians who have fled their home. We have a crap situation in front of us and its difficult to find perfect answers to any of this -- but that shouldn't necessarily mean that we do should do little or nothing. The line between doing too much and doing too little is a fine one and it's hard to call.

We should have done what we are able to do. Give a finite number and cost it. If when we reach that number you make your tweaks and see if you have capacity to help more.

What we have done is open the flood gates without any plan in place and now this cost will be apparent to everyone because it will have to be paid for out of people pockets in higher taxes (that includes stealth taxes) over the next couple of years. When people see increases in taxes, make no mistake. It is because the government go in head first and make no plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

I wonder are mobile homes and caravans an option I'm noticing more cropping up the past while particularly mobile homes. Some nice finishes in them these days.

Unaware do they need planning or how that works. You could do worse than live in one on a bit of land than pay the extortionate houses prices for in standard places on offer currently.

We have an old bashed up caravan inb the garden. you couldnt sleep in it. But someone from a charity called into the house a few weeks ago and asked the bean an ti if she would think about giving it for the refugees. Never heard anything since.

But you are right. There are some nice ones in gardens all around where i live that sons and daughters have been living in quite happily for years now. Some even have lovely little gardens and vegetable patches around them.

Was there ever an answer to the question that if you gace your holiday home for 6 months to house refugees, would they get part 4 rights on your holiday home? Seems like a serious question that needs a serious answer if they want you to give your holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Sometimes it feels like Irish journalists live in a bubble. Childcare has been an issue for everyone looking to work living in Ireland, and has gotten worse over the last few years. Of course its an issue for Ukrainians.... Its an issue, and has been an issue, for loads of people

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/childcare-a-growing-issue-for-ukrainian-refugees-looking-for-work-1.4861682?mode=sample

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

How many Irish grandparents double up.as childminders? A lot I would imagine. There was mumblings about a granny payment a few years ago form labour i think, but that was buried after the election. Maybe now since we have loads of cash to looks after Ukrainians they we roll that allowence out.

But there is an inherent strategic risk in giving a set number, because if it's high then it's effectively a target that can be used as pressure to ramp efforts up if the target isn't being met, and if it's too comfortably low then there is pressure from both within the State and without to do more. Setting a number that is 'just right' and suits everyone's agenda and interests is impossible -- especially for this type of crisis where we have a European country of over 40 million people being aggressively ravaged by a hostile Russia. It is a crisis which is international in nature that requires both co-operation and unfortunately a certain level of sacrifice of individual nations' self interest.

As for policies and plans - the same thing applies. Clear plans mean clear expectations -- and clear expectations mean clear targets. Having a good policy looks great optically and would obviously be beneficial to an extent. But having a really well thought-out plan in place for a pretty major European conflict is asking a lot and I get the impression that even if Ireland, with unprecedented levels of foresight, had pre-emptively set out the best laid plans for a war in Ukraine then (1) there would have been people criticising the government for devoting finance and resources to this exercise, as well as setting aside housing space anyway and (2) it would arguably make Ireland an even more attractive place to funnel a refugee population because it would have a clear policy in place for dealing with it while other countries fumbled around.

An outward statement that there is no cap can have advantages because it means the numbers are effectively kept vague.

Its almost as if they think that all of these issue have just appeared now all of a sudden. I swore I would never vote SF. But after the shambles of the last few weeks, i can never bring myself to ever vote FF, FG or Green ever again. And Labour - not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You don't have to have a cap. What they should be doing is saying, No cap, but we are only taking batches of 500-1000 at a time. Once they are processed and housed, we will take another 500-1000 rather than opening the floodgates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's a private holiday home, not a long term rental property.

Therefore the person who owns it is fully entitled under law to use it.

I can't really see it being an issue anyway.

If I rented my private holiday home to an Irish person for 6 months they get part 4 tenancy rights. At that point if they dont feel like giving it back to me i have to spend 2 to 4 years (the current time) going through the courts to get it back.

I think this is a relevant question for anyone who is thinking of being generous enough to give their holiday home.

But i guess we are back to the government and charities needing to supply people who take in refugees with all the facts including how they can end the agreement if it doesnt suit them. It doesnt stop anyone giving or helping, it just provides clarity in the case of it not going as originally perceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Heather all smiles with young men of fighting age. So much for

woman and children

https://twitter.com/hhumphreysfg/status/1519271933996679171?s=21&t=chWmXt4G9_rkslQF19dgeQ

No. If you were renting your holiday home for a short time you would draw up a lease. But even at that Part 4 is not as water tight as people seem to think it is, it's a holiday home, I want to go holidays. Out they go.

If you are not renting property you don't really have any rights, unless you stay there for 12 years, then you can go to court and tell them why you should stay longer, akin to squatters rights, but different.

Perhaps, but it seems that materially you just end up at the same place, only maybe a bit slower.

The overarching problem here is that we can't look at this as if it were some sort of supply chain where we are keeping deliveries manageable versus warehouse space. Ultimately, it seems to be estimated that around 5.3 million Ukrainians have fled the country (Poland being the host of almost 3 million of those, which is a hell of a lot to be taking on for one country) with a further 6.5 million displaced within Ukraine itself - and so it remains to be seen where they end up. We have no control over that, nobody is just creating these people -- but they are there and they have to be housed somewhere and that's just a fact of reality.

There is no portal into an alternate universe where these people can just shuffle off into until such times as our dimension is ready to handle it. It's difficult to just say "right, let's hold the flow up here til we get everything sorted perfectly with this current batch, run our calculations and then get back to you with a quota for the next batch". And even if you do, it seems that it's merely an exercise of kicking cans down roads.

No.

And even if it the government were to compensate people for offering their holiday homes it would be under transitional accommodation, Part 4 wouldn't apply.

It's the latest irrational red herring to plant the narrative that Ukrainians will steal all the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You don't because when you are full you are full and can't take any more in.

I didn't answer the questions because the answers would be bald and obvious. The context is what gives the questions value and I addressed the context. You know the answers to the questions already and you asked those question seemingly on the basis that they present the finite rebuttal of the State's approach to this crisis.

I asked the questions, and directed the discussion to the practical aspects, because I was pointing out your overly emotional appeal to disregard those aspects, and instead, focus on the need of the Ukrainian people. You mention context, but fail to recognise how you bypassed it multiple times to assert vague statements, which were not related to what I wrote, but rather with your desire to present a particular narrative. Passion or feelings over the practical considerations involved.

Nope. I'm not particularly interested in having the discussion reframed so that you can push a different angle. Oh.. and you're still trying to reset the narrative with the three points you listed next, which I'm not going to bother engaging with.

Ireland didn't ask for this war, but nor did the Ukrainian people and least of all the Ukrainians who have fled their home. We have a crap situation in front of us and its difficult to find perfect answers to any of this -- but that shouldn't necessarily mean that we do should do little or nothing. The line between doing too much and doing too little is a fine one and it's hard to call.

I find your approach interesting. Ireland is not in this war. Europe is not involved in this war directly. We're involved in managing the refugee/humanitarian consequences of the war... that's it.

And nobody suggested, and I certainly didn't, suggest that we should do nothing. Thanks for inserting that there. Really puts into perspective the manner of your responses. But then, that's pretty typical with people who push emotional narratives over the practical considerations, there's a natural desire to jump to an extreme as a way to discredit the person opposing them, because they understand that their emotional narrative is built on very shaky foundations, compared to the real world considerations of what it will cost the Irish people.

Now, grand, I understand that people like yourself (which is not an insult btw), have no issue with sacrificing others so that the cause you support gains the attention you believe it needs. However, I'm rather tired of Irish people being pushed into the background when it comes to spending the resources of this nation, and foreign considerations get pulled into the forefront for all that same attention.

I'm going to leave this discussion here, because it doesn't lead anywhere. Each time I've pointed out things, you've deflected, or given vague responses, while returning to a similar narrative theme. If I wanted to see that, I'd go to mass, and get my emotional manipulation there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

But you've still got a situation where a group or family of refugees are staying in a property, but refuse to remove themselves if, after 8 months, you want it back yourself, how do you go about it? There's nothing to say they can't, getting a tenant, or a guest to remove themselves from a property would be highly problematic if they decided to dig heels in, could be a hell of a lot of stress, and expense to shift them. Agreements can be largely ignored if the tenant/guest wants to tbh. With no support from government like legal costs, it could end up being nasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement