Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

who did i deride for investing in triple glazing ? As i have pointed out to you numerous times i would love to but i dont have the money free at the moment. Life is in the way you know putting kids through college ( we do go to college in rural ireland ) , feeding/cloting/heating ourselves while at the same time paying extra tax to subsidise a heat pump installation in foxrock... i guess people like you think thats correct and fair.... . Are you sure your not eamon ryan as your view on rural ireland is quiet limited ? now i have to go off and chase a few newcomers to the village with a pitchfork

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

I don't care about the turf ban tbh because the smell of burnt turf is rank and it does pollute the air quality as some of my neighbours do it.

But the Greens really need to cop on there's so much bigger issues facing people and they focus on this. I also think for a party so obsessed with "diversity" it's probably the most upper class party in Ireland and have barely any workings class support or representatives. And barely an reps outside Dublin and other city areas. It's the same in the UK.

Most of their cheerleaders are RTE journalists and University lecturers. Just shows their climate obsession pales in comparison to the struggles of ordinary people across the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

do you remember when the greens promoted the buying of new diesel cars with lower emissions and they change the tax bands. the whole of south dublin was driving around in brand new range rovers while paying 200 euro tax meanwhile the peasant down the country who couldnt afford a new car was paying up to a 1000 euro for a banger with the same engine size subsidizing the fella in the new range rover .. this retrofit reminds you of that .

I also think for a party so obsessed with "diversity" it's probably the most upper class party in Ireland and have barely any workings class support or representatives. 

Genuinely curious how you know this. Is there data somewhere to back this up or is it just your perception? Not a criticism, just honestly curious if such data exists

I'm wondering if similar data would be available on all the other parties too and what kind of conclusions could someone draw based on the economic makeup of a political group.

To give an example, the Healy Rea lads love to project a country bumpkin image despite being millionaires who are only concerned with gaining as much political control in Kerry as possible in order to further their business interests. They have something like 6 or 7 family members in various levels of politics around Kerry now. You'd have to wonder at the economic makeup of their voters based on this

Indeed FF also loved to both cosy up to the rural voters claiming to be all about rural Ireland while at the same time bending over backwards to accommodate as many property developers as possible, though, in retrospect, its very likely there was significant crossover there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Who is John Gibbons? He was on TV last night and on Claire Byrne on the radio this morning. Who funds his propaganda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The greens made a decision years ago that we should prioritise the planet over clean air , and that’s why we were forced to drive diesel…

also It looks like oil and gas equals power , if we choose to “leave it in the ground “ we will be invaded and it will be taken from us

Putin will be crossing the Shannon any day now to get control of the vast turf resources

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

'Smokeless' coal is far from clean. It has to be refined which uses energy. It just moves the pollution from cities to coal plants.

The green movement might as well throw in the towel. People aren't willing to make any sacrifices.

Just look at Germany today. War on their door step, about to be cut off from Russian gas and their response is to reduce the heating on outdoor pools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Is that before or after he bombs Kerry and the LNG terminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Irish greens have been for years lecturing us that Germany was the example we should be following but all of a sudden there is no mention of Germany.

Could that possible to do with them doing a bit more than reducing the heating for outdoors pools I wonder. They have gone back to strip mining coal and drilling for oil and gas. So could it possible be we are now hearing nothing on this from our greens because their equivalent to Eamon Ryan, Climate Minister and Vice Chancellor of Germany Robert Habeck, is also like our Eamon the leader of their Green Party ?😲

• Advertisement

If you're referring to lignite, they have been doing that for donkeys, but have plans to stop it by 2038 if not sooner given that they have ramped up plans for renewables, to a target of 80% by 2030, if not sooner.

As has been the case everywhere, coal will simply be priced out of the market so I wouldn't worry too much. Its on a death spiral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Nobody forced people to drive diesels

The expert at the time recommended to move to a system which was based on the outputs from a car. The system still exists today. The problem was the car manufacturers lied so the outputs from diesel came out better than they should have

Even at that nobody forced people to buy diesel. You still had options like petrol/hybrid and a few electric. What happened, which nobody could predict, was people would spend thousands to change a perfectly good car to another car to reduce yearly tax by a few hundred euro. Seemingly oblivious that the price to upgrade meant the reduction in tax was costing them money, not saving

Plus they seemed to be totally unaware that diesel is only good for long distance driving so they burned more & more fuel costing them even more money, on top of the additional service costs etc.

Really ? You may have missed that in Germany strategic coal reserves are to be created and the German energy network agency has asked for the country`s coal power plant to remain on standby,and have given the green light for drilling for gas in the North Sea. Meanwhile our numpties are attempting to ban LNG and pretending that Barryroe doesn`t exist.

Germany`s plan on renewable targets for 2030 went out the window with the war in Ukraine.

I don`t see where coal has been priced out of the market. Especially not for the major CO2 emitters. China has no notion of giving up coal, and neither does the U.S. who increased their output of coal last year. India either from their not signing COP26 until the wording was changed on coal. From just the proven reserves of coal all three have it`s not that great a surprise tbh.

Japan, another of the big 5 emitters made their views on coal very clear at COP26 when they refused to sign regardless of the wording. No surprise there either as they are opening 7 new large coal burning plants even though the are the worlds 3rd largest importer of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hackett was tying herself up in knots trying to defend that clown Ryan last night, Healy Rae really seemed to get under her skin.

And she calls herself a farmer, these Greens are a real comedy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Nuclear and natural gas are the future no matter what greens think about that.

Between the lower taxes on diesel and aviation fuels, the exchequer lost out on over 1 billion in potential taxes in 2019.

The loss was lower in 2020 due to Covid but holy crap that's some amount of taxes we're leaving on the table for no apparent good reason

RTE news : Petrol most heavily taxed fossil fuel - CSO analysis

They somehow appear to have missed that memo from the E.U. Or perhaps Eamon was having a little snooze when it came.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

He's a complete WUM - over on another thread he boasts about travelling to Lesotho four times for it's scenery, visiting Brazil, the US and Canada. He plans to visit Asia too. Plenty of C02 belching plane rides to look at scenery and the likes, but he'll preach to you how dirty turf in the fire at home is while he jets off to the next far flung place.

Best put him on ignore at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I guess it's easy to fly off to Lesotho, Brazil, USA and Canada and eventually Asia:

From: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0427/1294754-fossil-fuel-tax/

On jet fuel for instance, where commercial flights are exempt from excise duty and carbon tax, the effective carbon rate was as low as just €0.09 per tonne of carbon dioxide emitted - just a tiny fraction of rate levied on petrol vehicles.

We may all start taking flights with the way things are going - a few hours in a plane will be warmer than your home and it will have guaranteed lighting too.

You're quite right. Tax the fook out of the b*stards! Viva la revolution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Noble Korhedron

Just posting this reply to see how this discussion continues; also, can someone please tell me how to 'Follow' a thread? I haven't been on here in Y-E-A-R-S...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Click the "Bookmark this discussion" box to the left of the "Save Draft and Post Comment" buttons at the end of the page.

Regards...jmcc

Are you willing to pay the additional taxes for nuclear? While the price of electricity has increased who is going to pay 20 + billion for a nuclear plant?

Also do you want it built beside your house?

Everyone shouting about nuclear, let see how you want nuclear when they slap up a plant beside your house

It`s not so much a case of anyone wanting to build a nuclear plant here. It`s the case that the E.U. only recognise two energy sources as transitional. Gas and nuclear.

The Irish greens are attempting to ban gas, when not just our own regulator has said our present supply is unsecure, but we are also not complying with the E.U. by continuing to use this unscured supply.

So what E.U. recognised transitional energy source options have we left other than nuclear if the Irish greens get their way ?

Bizarre some don't seem to have any issues with massive increases in tax to support renewables, but balk l at any suggestion that a nuclear power plant be built to help provide a reliable backup for those renewables.

As for objectors and not wanting one beside your house. If I remember correctly you've already said these type of people shouldn't be allowed to object to important energy related projects or wtte

Anyway it's not just nuclear nimbys

Some people apparently don't like wind farms next door either ...

Hillarious that.

The Irish greens are attempting to ban gas, when not just our own regulator has said our present supply is unsecure, but we are also not complying with the E.U. by continuing to use this unscured supply.

Please explain this statement? if you are still waffling about the LNG plant as I already pointed out NO political party is supporting it.

I point back to the article already shared which says wind etc is cheaper than nuclear!

Did you read the article?

Senator Garvey said that new wind farms should not be allowed until new Government guidelines on wind energy are published.

Seems fairly reasonable to me?

Again you take half a story, twist it and post a pile of rubbish on here. It is really getting extremely boring now. Very disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Building a nuclear power station as backup to renewables is pretty much the dumbest idea ever proposed. Nuclear power stations are for base load, not backup, they run 24/7 except for when they are taken down for maintenance or to be refuelled (every 18 months or so) when they're down for more than 3 weeks straight and thats assuming that there are no issues discovered during the maintenance that would lead to longer downtime

Nuclear power stations require backup for these periods. What do we do in Ireland when we lose up to 50% of our base load for weeks on end every 18 months?

This is not a problem for the likes of France or the UK or US where a single Nuclear reactor is only a few percent of the overall generation capacity, so it can be managed easily, for Ireland, a single nuclear reactor could be 50% of our national baseload. So we would need to have an entire infrastructure constructed, sitting idle for 18 months at a time ready to jump into action to cover if that reactor goes down for either planned maintenance or a failure that requires the plant to shut down.

If you think electricity prices are high now....

Putting all your eggs in one basket is generally considered to be a bad thing

Ireland's strategy is to have a distributed network of smaller sizes generators as well as interconnectors and storage so that a single point of failure doesn't cripple the entire grid.

A small market like Ireland makes Nuclear unsuitable, it does not mean we should not include Nuclear in our grid, just that we can import that power through our interconnectors with countries where their scale allows for Nuclear as a distributed part of their grid.

What is there to explain, and why do you keep going on about plans by a private company to build a LNG plant ?

Have you even read the green party proposed bill on banning LNG ? If not, then to use your own words "read back" as I have posted it here. It does not mention banning a private company importing LNG. It is a proposed ban on ALL imports of LNG.

So again, with both our regulator saying our present gas source is unsecure and none E.U. compliant, and with the E.U. only recognising gas and nuclear as transitional sources of energy, if the Irish greens get their way and ban ALL LNG then what other E.U. recognised transitional energy source is there other than nuclear ?

Perhaps you believe we should just ignore the E.U. and do our own thing. With some of the idiocy from the Irish greens it would not surprise me.

You can point to irrelevant articles all you like.

It's not a case of either or. And as has been pointed out the EU have determined that natural gas and or nuclear are the two options for the period of transition to renewable energy generation

Did you read the article? You're the one giving out about Nimbys not wanting things built next door

Senator Garvey said that new wind farms should not be allowed until new Government guidelines* on wind energy are published. 

She stated: “There are a lot of people locally who don’t want it there

Re. Guidelines *And no doubt that would be the case with nuclear as well. That seems fairly reasonable to me!

Edit: the only party objecting actively to the Shannon LNG facility are the Greens surprisingly enough.

Leo Varadkar is on record saying the government won't object to the terminal if/when it gets planning permission.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement

LOL. How many other wind-farms did the Senator object to on the basis that they should not go ahead until new government guidelines are introduced I wonder ?

Typical green party manure of do what I say not what I do. Much like buying dodgy coal in Northern Ireland and avoiding paying carbon tax while preaching to everyone else how brilliant carbon taxes are when you come to think about it.

Advertisement