Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Well it certainly makes it easier for Bulgaria and Poland to say to their populaces that the issue of Russian energy imports is out of their hands. Thankfully they're entering the warmer time of year which will give them time to reorientate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Poland and Bulgaria are unfriendly countries for 'not paying in roubles' and have had their supplies cut off.

Why hasn't Germany also been cut off? Is it paying in roubles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Coast to the black sea would be my best guess; or simply an easy victory for Putin to show off in state TV as proof of the glorious success of the Russian army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I strongly recommend everyone interested in this conflict have a read of this. It's the most in-depth analysis of the situation, including Russia's interest in Moldova. Long, but very insightful and well sourced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭yagan

Interesting. However I'd still ascribe the actions of Putin and his inner circle to merely self destructive by incompetence and hubris. I don't buy that they've a death cult type modus operandi. I think they genuinely believed they could redraw Russia, especially after the Crimea annexation.

Half of the Russian population lives in the western most eight of the country and I believe his intent was always the regathering of Russians across the post USSR borders.

However I will concede that if I were a young Russian connected to international youth I would feel as if those older pre internet generations were trying to strangle my future, as do many people in the west feel about babyboomers strangle hold on property!

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

4 countries paid for gas in Roubles like Russia asked.

10 countries have opened Rouble accounts to pay for gas.

Unified Europe?

According to an anonymous source. Hungary has already signalled they will pay in roubles. There are 44 countries in Europe, so 4 isn't a significant amount.

As for the second part, it's 10 companies, not 10 countries. And this could be for technical or contingency reasons as per the below

Context is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

10 companies is even worse as there's probably companies operating in multiple countries.

But the bloc told member states that the mechanism the Kremlin proposed, which required opening euro and ruble accounts with state-controlled Gazprombank, would violate the sanctions. 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Companies isn't worse as private companies can do whatever they want within the bounds of the law/sanctions. It does not reflect any degree of European unity or otherwise.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put much stock into it, opening an account doesn't mean much, it could be for contingency or just technical reasons.

Keep in mind Serbia, Bosnia and Belarus are also European countries. I would suspect they make up some or all of the buyers in roubles.

The key European importers of Ru gas by sheer volume are Germany (by a long way), then Italy, then Netherlands (with Belarus in between there). As far as I am aware none of those countries bar Belarus are paying in roubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

That political scientist is totally wrong.

Putin = mafia = stealing money = need to control the population to keep that going.

It's that simple - it's all about stealing huge amount of money and this is exercised by control of the Russian state apparatus and control of the Russian population through. propaganda. That's it.

No ideology, no imperialism per se, no religion, no strategy or geopolitics, simply just money and power.

No need to find any esoteric or complicated meaning, Putin is a thug who happened to hijack a whole country.

Post edited by McGiver on

The Finns are definitely going for it 😎✌🏻👍🏻

“This parliamentary debate is all a show, it’s a done deal on Nato,” said Erkki Tuomioja, a leading MP with Finland’s ruling Social Democrats. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/finland-prepared-to-join-nato-without-sweden-says-minister-1.4863460

Russian troops advanced north in Zaporizhzhia Oblast and captured a small settlement. Things are getting serious in unrecognized Transnistria. Explosions rocked the village of Mayak and two radio antennas were destroyed as the result. Moldova have increased the level of combat readiness, unrecognized Transnistria have started to build checkpoints and barricades at important roads and cities. Russian soldiers stationed in Transnistria have been reportedly put on full combat alert.

Things are getting serious for Moldova...

What will happen now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well the trasnistrians are accussing Ukraine of that it seems.

Seems they are setting the stage for ww3 to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's the not the country that matters but what's at stake. Russia sets up a false flag in Moldova and points the finger at Ukraine. Transnistria then moves in on Ukraine.

Moldova becomes unstable and what's to stop Russia going further then? It takes one wrong move to set this off. We are closer than ever before to another world war.

And with finland looking set to join NATO, it's just another reason for puta to go into his insane mood

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

You are entitled to your opinion. How do you know that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

World wars have snowballed from smaller events; the most obvious being the actions of a single, opportunist Serbian separatist fadó. It didn't start WW1 in of itself, the argument is there that it was all going to happen regardless - but it was still the critical cascade that got things properly going.

I do think it's hyperbolic to say these events in the East are going to lead to another world war; not least because it's still deeply regional if we're being pedantic. But these are still extraordinary and unprecedented events occurring within Europe. There's nothing really that comparable since pre1939 - the Balkans maybe, but that was internal self-destruction of a contrived, doomed state - and it's hard to see where it's all going to come to an end. If the chatter in Russia is about reclaiming the USSR and "historical Russia" then the appetite is there to escalate; Putin is 69 and while no Spring Chicken, may continue to antagonise his neighbours while he enters his octogenarian years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This isn't a great start for Moldova , essentially powerless to stop any foreign aggression or land grabs

Bollox. Transnistria has 1500 troops. Ukraine can occupy it in one day if asked by Moldova. That would be the best way out for Moldova by the way - a treaty with Ukraine asking them for an intervention. They don't have any other choice.

Now what you're saying is exactly the reason why Finland wants to and will join NATO. NATO membership puts a hard stop for any Russian "ideas".

Agree a condominium or joint administration of Transnistria with Ukraine the only way out for Moldova. Ukraine steps in and secures the place.

A other option is Romania but they won't do it as they're nato members.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Moldova requesting Ukraine annexes Transnistria is exactly what Russia wants as it will give it an excuse to "liberate" the transnistrian separatists, and also large parts of Moldova in the process.

Best situation for Moldova right now would be to premptively get NATO forces officially in the country. They do not need to voluntarily bring the ongoing Russo-Ukrainian war into their own territory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Moldova could re-join Rumania in some form and so become a NATO member. Not sure how it could be done, but Moldova was part of Rumania at one time.

I think the 'unrest' in Transnistria is just another Russian ruse to extend the current 'special military operation' to get Moldova involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Wikipedia is to be believed, and assuming I'm reading it right - plus I have no idea how politically biased the internal polling might be - popular support within Moldova reads tepid towards merging with Romania; although the gap appears to narrow as years pass, sitting around 50/50 or thereabouts now, so not exactly the kind of overwhelming support that it might realistically happen. A poll from last year showed support for unification, but only by a Brexit's width (with the wording dangling wage parity with Romania, lol)

But I couldn't begin to guess as to the why: maybe Romania is seen as the lesser country, as opposed to any strong sense of Moldovan identity; though after 30-40 years of existence that's bound to form organically anyway. Who knows what the current events might do for that support either - maybe Russia sniffing around Transnistria might change some hearts & minds. Interestingly, support for unification appears far more cut & dry in Romania: they're all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Moldova and part of Ukraine were carved out of Romanian land, so many see Moldova as rightfully theirs, same as Hungarians see Transylvania (in Romania) as theirs.

Moldovans dont have any such claim so naturally would be much less hesitant to be subsumed into a larger nation. Likely just living standards that motivate anyone to vote for unification with Romania

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the current situation could be summed up with :- 'Russian tanks - no thanks!'

A large bit of helpful funding from the EU would persuade those undecided, plus the offer of instant NATO protection.

And yet, they seem to have a bigger military force than Ireland I believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Last night a vote passed in the US House of Representatives for a Lend-Lease Bill making it easier to export military equipment to Ukraine. It had near bi-partisan support with 417 votes for and only 10 votes against. All of the 10 votes against were fringe Republican (e.g. Marjorie Taylor Green, Matt Gaetz, Paul Gosar - the types who vote No to everything that Biden backs, in other words).

The interesting thing about it is that all the Democrats supported it. That includes what people would consider the far left, ie the 4 members of "The Squad", Cory Bush, Jamaal Bowman etc.

I think that this is a good reminder that what people in the USA consider "far-left" would be considered a social democrat in Europe. Like there's no way that PBP or Jeremy Corbyn or, god forbid, Wallace & Daly would support a bill like this. And yet I have seen people lump in the likes of AOC and Bernie Sanders with the above with no actual evidence apart from the fact that Fox News and the likes call them "far-left radicals".

It just shows you how skewed to the right the American political spectrum is.

Advertisement