Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

it's the rubber under the cloth than can be thinner or thicker around the pocket can make a difference, or pulled too tight ect like when you see bouncier cushions, granted only a small difference but to pros who are so precise it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

There are factors other than the pocket template that affect the apparent width of the pocket, one of which you mention in your post. The camera angle theory is rubbish, balls are dropping into the same pocket that weren't earlier in the tournament.

I doubt it's been done deliberately, it's probably a combination of some tiny manufacturing "flaw" and degradation of the cloth as the tournament goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why don't they talk about it and show us what they were like through the years and the different tables. Davis at the beginning of this afternoon's session on commentary said they are more generous, marginally so.

I disagree, I think it's far more than marginal. There's been a tonne of shots that wouldn't have previously gone in, in years gone by. Some of them, have been outright ridiculous. I highlighted one last night for Ronnie that hit the cushion first and still went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

For a crowd of 900 people, it should really be an easy solution alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Tables are definitely playing easier. There are already 88 centuries. That's the 3rd highest total of all time in the World Championships and there's still another 6 and a bit days to play. The only other years currently with higher century totals for the whole tournament is last year and 2019.

• Advertisement

I think that's a damning indictment on the modern game and players.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That left pocket isn't too generous anyway.

Imagine a semi's line up of Bingham, Ronnie, Higgins and Williams. 45, 46, 46, 47

Bingham is 46 next month and Higgins is 47 next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow that fluked red for Yan could be very big

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Such a fluke for Yan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Or alternatively a special generation of snooker players.? Who kept themselves at a high level. Theoretically age should not matter in snooker.

I am now of the opinion that snooker nous invaluable regardless of age. More experienced players naturally have more of that.

Other experience players of other older generations lack either one or both of two things

Is lacking confidence - Example Ken Doherty

Or lacking concentration- Jimmy White.

The older generation succeeding have nous, confidence and concentration!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Great timing. Watch that fluked red in the lower left pocket by Yan again if you can, the overhead shot. It too hit the cushion first.

Which of these guys would pose the stiffer test for Bingham or Trump? I'm guessing Mark if he could find his groove...

Nothing in it. Yan is an old head on young shoulders snooker wise. I would say Yan better all round player IMO.

And another one. Has Yan been granted the Mandate of Heaven?

Williams back in front and one away from victory

Great response

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Fantastic break from Williams there, can't see him loosing this match after that.

I don't think it's a special group at a high level. Obviously they're great players but they're not at their peaks. I think drive is the big thing. Higgins losing weight to prolong his game. Ronnie doing weights aswell. If Trump had the same drive as he did a few years ago he'd wipe the lot of them like he did do for one whole season.

Ronnie hammered Wilson in the final 18 months ago as a 44 year old and Wilson nearly 30 and Wilson wasn't disappointed at all and literally said "I'm only 30, I've got loads of time to win it yet". Years ago the peaks were late 20's.

The standard is low in the players coming through. Look at Higgins, he was close to retirement a few years ago. Williams looked finished for many years until the last few years.

The only standouts are Yan and Trump. 22 and 32 years old.

And it's not just the "class of 92" that are still doing it. Bingham made semi's last year, could do it again. Barry Hawkins making finals of majors at 43. Talent coming through is very light.

Game set match

• Advertisement

All you can say is fair play Williams. Mad shots under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Crazy that Yan conceded down 70 with 59 on table. I presume his head was gone. I know it’s very unlikely, especially against Williams but 12-11 down in world quarter final, can’t concede there.

Stranger still there was no talk about it post match.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Something trivial that’s been annoying me….Wtf is the point of each player having about 6 litres of water at their seat ? We’ve seen players a few times moving them to stash them behind the chairs, probably been told they can’t now.

Bingham misses an absolute sitter of a red…right close to and almost over the pocket. Then should snooker Trump all ends up behind the blue, a dead easy shot but makes a mess of it.

Gwan Jack! 11 each now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Lisowski level 11-11 and has the momentum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

they've been playing for 10 hours with less than 2 hours break, must be getting to them a bit

meant 8

Framewinning shot there ,, some cannon on reds by JACKpot !! almost 12-11😊

spoke too soon ; ( he's in pole position alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That was always hitting the black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Shaun Murphy directing operations

Advertisement