Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

Sixteen times the endings.

By the way, look how big Emil Pagliarulo (right) was back then. Dude is jacked now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Several of Elden Ring's endings are basically the same thing with a different colour palette.

Multiply that by 160 and you're away. The 'Puce' ending. The 'S**t Brown' ending. The 'Ultra Marine Blue' ending. And so on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have 8 characters in a game and each gets an different part of an ending based on the binary decision that they live or die then you have 256 possible endings.

Maths is fun.

It's very easy to claim this nonsense. Even easier if you go the Elden Ring/Mass Effect 3 route of changing the background colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s a strange thing to boast because I think most people would think the same as people here - really slight variations on the same thing that aren’t worth your time.

Has any game done the multiple ending thing well? The one that sticks out to me is Chrono Trigger, it was actually fun getting those endings, but I think there was only about 10 of them.

I actually think the prospect of so many endings kind of daunting and off-putting, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing Maken X at the moment and your choices can lead you to killing the demon Possessed pope or fighting the US president.

Now they're choices I can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yup, I'm the same. I rather be told a solid story. I find eith games with choices I'm googling to make sure I pick the proper reply, because too many times I've been conned by the words on screen that you pick vs what the character actually says. It takes away from the game from me, whereas with straight up stories I can easily get lost in it, ie: God of War.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nier Automata, but even then, they were a part of the whole way that game told its story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

It's a bit like when Dying Light 2 said they have 500 hrs of gameplay. You need to get that out of your head, enjoy the main story and not worry what you may have missed as that will most likely be grindy / busy work. Same ethos here, enjoy a single or maybe a 2nd playthrough and be happy with that, with no fomo the other ridiculous number of multiple "endings"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Multiple endings in some ways go against the essence of good storytelling, although obviously that's complicated by the interactivity of games. A writer needs to bring a story and characters to a place that feels natural, true and satisfying. That's hard enough in a film or book, but imagine trying to do that while accounting for potentially dozens of player choices / variables. That's a big ask logistically, and that's before even getting to the point of making each variation feel satisfying and true!

Add to that the fact that an awful lot of video game writing is - to put it bluntly - pretty crap in the first place.

It's telling that a lot of the really good video game endings - like The Last of Us, or the Team Ico games - have little variation in their endings, and in most cases are just set cutscenes.

It's often surprising how many very long games just sort of end abruptly (Elden Ring gives you a 2-minute cutscene after dozens of hours of play), but in some ways what else can they do? Better simply to wrap things up quickly in many cases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't mind multiple endings that much, if they're significantly different that they're worth the effort.

What I DO hate are "true endings", where unless you pressed A beside a specific potted planet on a Tuesday you only get a 15 second nothing ending, the real one gatekept by a ludicruous barrier.

Different strokes. I played Detroit Become Human, and while I enjoyed it, there wasn't enough in the gameplay to make me want to play for a different ending.

I'd happily play a game multiple times with a single story, if the gameplay is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's just it with multiple endings. If you have to play through the whole game again then it's not good. I liked the infamous games since they had good and bad stories and that was it. Then there are Batman Arkham Knight type endings where you get an ending then you can keep going to get all collectibles and get the "true ending".

Nier Automata did it well where

nearly all the extra endings just involved selecting the right chapter and playing it for a bit. Only 1 ending involved a large further investment. I just look at the first 3 endings as the main game.

Never played Mass Effect but didn't its ending rely on your progress through all 3 games? Doesn't sound good for getting the alternate colour.

For The Quarry, maybe it's just All survive, 5 survive, etc. Or there are always scripted deaths but no matter who you choose to live it just involves them saying the same dialogue as the other person would've said.

Or simply what I and I'm sure a lot here do with multiple endings or anything that involves collecting all 50000 collectables, just watch on youtube.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I finish a game, then fire up YouTube for the rest of the endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The final ending for Mass effect 3 mostly didn't which is what pissed a lot of people off, only real effect it had was depending on past game you're Military Strength value was different so some ending couldn't be done but you could increase that outside the main game with codex, apps, and multiplayer, but there was a load of smaller story lines that were affected by past games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I thought Cyberpunk did a good job with the different endings, there's only 3 I think, and they aren't mind-blowing, but they were a decent conclusion to the choices you made toward the end. I liked The Witcher 3's endings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I see the whole "150+ endings" thing as being like the Telltale games; there's probably 3-4 base endings, with various minor changes in dialogue etc based on your playthrough but will make little difference.

For games which are strongly based on story and choices, there aren't 150+ endings. There's really just your ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cyberpunk is more like 3 ending approaches gameplay wise with a 4th secret one, but depending on choices you can lock yourself out of those.

There's some additional branching out with 1-3 other endings each based on the last choice and what happens in that mission.

Another one if you include

Just shooting yourself

Like the secret ending

Storming in solo through the front door like that matrix scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

• Advertisement

So getting a 25% return on investment isn't good enough for these sociopaths. I know there's a risk that it won't go through but I'd take that chance. Then again the astronomical sums of money thrown around by these people baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yuji Naka really going all in on criticising Square Enix over their handling of his game Balan Wonderland. Seems to have been legal action, with Naka claiming he was fired and the game subsequently released in its terrible, meme-fodder state. Quite the yarn, and exceedingly rare to see any developer so publicly slam a publisher.

I think it might also be a case of two sides to every story. People on twitter are noting that if you read into the interview that pretty much everyone in a major role on the project wanted him gone. There's also a lot of talk of Yuji Naka being a nightmare to work for from people on the American Sonic Team that worked on Sonic 2 to Nights.

Very possible there’s an equally wild version of events from the other side. Suffice to say production was an absolute disaster… although I reckon the game itself was sufficient evidence of that 😅

There's definitely Balan Wonderland apologists out there...

Although I kind of think that the lack of great 3D platformers outside of nintendo platforms makes these games more acceptable to some people like [hot take]Ratchet and Clank[/hot take].

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just out of Early Access, and man, those are some chill vibes in this little city-builder (of sorts). You get a sequence of randomised hex tiles you then have to match against those already placed in the world. Natural combinations scoring better as you expand the landscape...

The greatest action game of the last 5 years, otherwise known as Ace Combat 7, is getting Top Gun themed DLC. I'm hoping it's more missions and not just skins.

EDF6 also got a release date of 26th of August on PS4/5. No news of a PC release, I'm hoping it's around the same time and not the usual 1 year wait.

• Advertisement

Warren Buffet doesn't think it will fail as he bought a ton of shares. The man is rarely wrong and quite possible has enough leverage to make sure it doesn't fail.

Advertisement