Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Ulster Bank to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I'm switching from KBC to Revolut. No issue with my employers they are paying my wages to Revolut without a problem. Just gave my DD details to Airwire for my broadband, again no issues. Ordered my Revolut Mastercard last week and it was delivered within 7 days. Adding payees within the app is pretty straight forward also. Will report back in a few months with how things are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just went with PTSB myself. The money back from my Sky and Airtricity bills plus the card transactions pretty much wipes the 6 euro fee for me.

Downloaded the app yesterday, filled in a few details, added a pic of passport and a revenue doc, took two selfies.

Just got a text this morning, account is setup. Can see my new card in the app. Just been in and setup my Standing Orders and payees for bills etc....

Thought it was going to take weeks. But less than 24 hours. Shocked actually haha. Pretty quick turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭HBC08

Feic! I havent being paying attention, I knew ulster bank were pulling out but thought it was about 3 years away.

Looks like I'll have to get on it,

I have current account,business account and savings account with UB,the app is great.

I also have a joint account with my partner with AIB so I guess that's where I'll be going.I find their app decent aswell but I dont use it often if ever,only just to check the balance the odd time.

I wonder if it's an advantage to me that I'm part of a joint account at AIB already in terms of getting an appointment, security,filling out forms etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Was just talking to them, no business accounts with EBS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Was onto my employer, its in the public service, and they won't pay salary into a Revolut account. Is this legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭crinkley

I’m public sector too, and this is what payroll told me, it’s not because it isn’t an Irish iban that they can’t pay salary in, in that case it would be discriminatory, but it’s because their system is so outdated they have to have an account number and sort code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, it's not legal. See https://www.acceptmyiban.org/ and https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/explainers/what-is-iban-discrimination-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

They are legally required to be able to pay into SEPA accounts. Saying "our system is too old" isn't an acceptable excuse - that means they have to upgrade their system

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭faolteam

Folks can someone explain what the criteria is to do to set up Revoult bank account , i have the App set up and love it for sending money and recieving money and paying Amazon, and bills

So if i have money in my ulster bank , before i completely close it up how do i send it to Revolut ?

and the setting up for Direct debit is that easy ?

Open the app, press your avatar at the top left. Scroll down to All Accounts, select the Euro one. Your IBAN is there. Use that

Went into AIB there,I have a current account and business to switch.Their next appointment to switch current accounts is July, but they set one up for me on the spot so I can change everything myself (which I'd feel more comfortable doing anyway)

Good bit of paperwork involved in limited company account so they printed that out and have an appointment on Monday to finish that one.

Was in Ulster Bank as well,they said letters are going out in two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Pistachio19

We had a joint account and business account with UB. Husband had all his personal accounts there too, whereas I had moved to AIB a while back. We got a fairly quick appointment to set up the business account. They sent out the forms beforehand and we had to bring them back and at that point we got an appointment within a few days. When we arrived, the bank official had most of the form filled out on her screen already so it really didn't take too long. We both brought ID with us but as I already had an account I didn't need it. And strangely enough my husband didn't need it as he was a signatory on an account related to a local club. She set up a personal joint account for us there and then. She set up registration for my husband and he just had to wait a couple of days for a password or PIN via post to enable him to complete his log into the app. Once he was in he could then open his own sole accounts via the app.

My one gripe about the business account is that the online banking seems to be the same as the personal one. With UB I could future date payments to suppliers etc. But now I have to do them the day they are actually due which is a pain. Maybe I'm missing something though - if anyone else has a business account they might correct me (please!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

Switched all my direct debits and transfered all my money from my ulster bank account to my new PTSB account today, not waiting for the official switch date, dont trust UB enough for everything to go smoothly, for piece of mind I did it all myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I've a tracker mortgage with UB. I have never had any correspondence with them since we signed about 18 years ago. (Other than annual statements)

I presume that they will simply contact me as they leave the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't wait. Contact them before they're inundated with switches,

Do nothing, your mortgage will switch to a new provider automatically under the same terms. You only need to manually switch any current accounts with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You would really have to wonder about the credibility of a journalist, not a lone a financial editor who would pen and publish an article like this.

What exactly is wrong with it? It seems perfectly valid to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not a lot really.

The Consumers Association, opposition finance spokesperson and Governor of the Central Bank all raising flags but never mind that blame the Indo.

Well for a start the idea the CBI can force a bank to do business with anyone... People have a right to a basic bank account but that it is.

What is the expectation in respect of credit facilities? Is the expectation that banks should grant credit facilitates without background and creditworthiness checks?

And the idea that banks should take on additional staff to service loss making customers....

• Advertisement

These people including the Indo should have been raising the flags months ago telling us what we already know and expecting the CBI to do some kind of magic is pointless.

Somewhere on here, we had this discussion months ago about the possibility that bank will cherry pick profitable customers they want to do business with and the some will be forced to accept a basic bank account.

The Consumers Association is an NGO and the opposition are obviously not in power so blaming them for not raising the issues earlier is a bit much.

The Governor of the Central Bank probably should have moved sooner.

The Indo are only reporting the situation as it is.

The responsibility ultimately lies with the Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It's it possible to have a joint account with revolut?

From testing thread, had just decided PTSB/CREDIT UNION for salary and direct debits, and revolut for day to day. Then realised everything we currently have is joint accounts, and not sure how this will work if switching to revolut.

Would prefer not too switch to separate day to day accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all anybody looking moving to credit union from UB?

my local credit union is St Canice’s Credit Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

This might be of help to some people....

I've just opened an account with AIB via their app. Took 10 minutes.

All I needed was my passport, which is used for the video call which took less than 5 minutes. All extremely simple.

All the other information needed during the application you should either know off by heart, or have to hand in your wallet.

I chose AIB because of the ease of the actual opening of the account, and I wouldn't have to wait for an appointment at a branch.

My banking needs are fairly simple, wages get paid in, wages get spent with debit card (which I should receive next week).

Whether or not I run into problems later down the line with the actual transfer of my Ulster Bank balance remains to be seen, but I feel I'm ahead of the game....... at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

I would definitely have moved to CU only that they only allow 2 free ATM withdrawals per month, I use the ATM rather using debit cards as I like to use cash. So that put me off, other than that their online is good as I have an account there for years plus the advantage of an actual office with lots of staff should I need to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I haven't seen any mentions of AnPost Money. Their app looks good from the screenshots I've seen and fees similar to PTSB.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That method only works if you've never had an account or profile with AIB in the past.

I did in the 90s, so had to make appointment at my local branch in January. I was seen pretty quickly & it was very slick. No issues so far and app is fine.

Need a joint account as well so that's another appointment. Called in today as I was in town - earliest appointment was 1 June but that's because we are only available mornings. If we were more flexible, would have got one sometime in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭kenn0

i can get 5 free

then €0.50 per transaction

all taps, chips etc are free

i mainly tap

account fees for year are €48 per annum

they have a decent enough app too.

Advertisement