Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Timing belt

For people on fixed incomes you are 100% correct but for most employees they should be seeing wages increase in line with CPI.

If the ECB raise rates to soon it will kill growth. It's a very fine balancing act that is required at the moment and I would expect that the ECB will start raising rates once there is evidence of wage growth in the European economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Anyone on relatively low wages will not all get rises in line with CPI. I know someone earning 23k who was told they're getting a 1% increase this year.

Low earners don't have the power with their bosses.

It's a bad sign when the UK and US are the ones raising rates and being the sensible ones...

It's nonsense to suggest that inflation is only or largely driven by supply chain issues. Head in the sand logic.

Central Banks are now between a rock and a hard place, choose either rampant inflation or taking the necessary action which will cause a recession.

If inflation runs wild it'll cause a recession anyways because peoples incomes will all be drained and spent on increasing costs, meaning less spends on new phones, holidays, coffees etc.

If they rose rates they could control it. And then they'd have some weapons for a recovery.

The way they're going, things are going to go out of control and then tank and then we'll still have 0% rates.

Yeah, I felt the implication of rampant inflation would go without saying on an Economics forum.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is suggesting that inflation is only down to supply chain issues. The biggest drivers of inflation at the moment are energy prices along with the expectation of inflation.

Personally I think that during the pandemic customers spending habits changed because they were unable to spend on services and instead spent on goods and the weighting in the CPI has not taken this into account leading to big headline figures of CPI which in turn have businesses increasing prices to get ahead of where they expect inflation to go and in turn generating more inflation.

So are folks anticipating a recession any time soon?

Raising rates, raising inflation is going to dampen demand you'd think.

Think, more spending on food may mean less spending on coffee meaning coffee shop loses money etc.

The US seems to be highly leveraged in terms of private debt and inflation is climbing higher and higher. Plenty of companies there are only making interest only payments, especially real estate. So either interest rate rises are going to tip a lot of counterparties into default and/or more to the edge of it, or inflation is going to be allowed to run rampant with all the fun consequences of that.

Add in the Ukrainian conflict, rising inflation in Europe, the state of the Chinese property market... yeah, I think a recession is going to happen soon.

Is this another black swan event to catapult the world into major recession?

Russian forces invaded Ukraine this morning, assaulting by land, sea and air in the biggest attack by one state against another in Europe since World War II.

Ukraine reported columns of troops pouring across its borders from Russia and Belarus, and landing on the coast from the Black and Azov seas.

Dozens of missiles rained down on Ukrainian cities. Explosions were heard before dawn and throughout the morning in the capital Kyiv, a city of 3 million people. Gunfire rattled, sirens blared, and the highway out of the city choked with traffic as residents fled.

Dozens of deaths have been reported on both sides, but there has been no independent confirmation of casualties.

Ukrainian officials said Russian helicopters attacked Gostomel, a military airport near Kyiv, and Ukraine downed three of them.

Border officials said the Russians were trying to penetrate Kyiv region and the Zhytomyr region on the Belarusian border, and they were using Grad rockets.

Initial unconfirmed reports of casualties included Ukrainian civilians killed by Russian bombardment and border guards defending the frontier.

Regional authorities of Ukraine's southern Odessa region said 18 people were killed in a missile attack. At least six people were killed in Brovary, a town near Kyiv, authorities there said.

Ukraine's military said it had destroyed four Russian tanks on a road near Kharkiv, killed 50 troops near a town in Luhansk region and downed six Russian warplanes in the east.

Russia denied reports its aircraft or armoured vehicles had been destroyed. Russian-backed separatists claimed to have downed two Ukrainian planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Those in the know (e.g. Alasdair MacLeod) predict a Russian-Chinese plan to gold-baxk a basket of currencies. Around now. Which would 1. Slowly kill off the dollar (2/3 of dollars are outside of the US currently) and 2. make any proposed sanctions moot, particularly SWIFT membership.

Worth following zerohedge and KingworldNews.

im a gold and silver bug. So I'm biased. Alasdair could be accused of being also, as he advises Goldmoney.com.

It's plain to see, however.

• Advertisement

What are peoples predictions for the future? Do you see a recession?

This isn't sustainable anyways, I don't see how we don't suffer and economic slowdown.

Who knows but it doesn't look good does it? We borrowed billions during COVID. We have insane levels of inflation and national debt. Now war in Europe.

I imagine recession is coming but not sure what exactly will tip us over the edge.

Maybe it will be the same thing as the last 2 main recessions..

Oh McWilliams. What a terrible economist he is. Has made a career out of being right once.

The same lad who in 2018 said there was a commercial real estate bubble and that when it crashes all the investors will flee back to America, thus crashing all our pensions. Covid came and everyone was working from home, most companies allowing many of their staff to work from home permanently, yet still no commercial real estate crash and pension crash.

You'd think that correlation doesn't mean causation. Rates in 2008 were 4%. They raised them in July 08 to 4.25%. The events that would lead to the recession had already started. Not "hiking" the rates wouldn't have changed a thing.

If going from 0% rates to 0.25% crashes the economy, then the economy is built on twigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well it could still happen! 'Covid came and everyone was working from home, most companies allowing many of their staff to work from home permanently, yet still no commercial real estate crash and pension crash'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just coming out of a worldwide lock down severely impacting businesses. Major increases in almost everything. Especially energy/cars/houses/services. Twould be easier to list what hasn't risen , if you could think of some? War in Europe. 10 million + refugees fleeing west. European food security threatened (if only slightly..cause europe does produce alot)

(Only a slight drop in the markets) And yet no sign of a recession. What gives? Tis bewildering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I am no expert at all but just wondering is it a bit further down the line. Gas and electricity going up really from next month for most people. Seems to be the case 50 euro extra between the 2 then per mth they reckon. Say add on another 30 per mth at the petrol station. Plus 10 to 20 extra a mth with food prices. So maybe say 80 to 100 a mth most people will be down going forward but will probably only notice it In 2/3 mths as people from April get the 200 free electricity credit so people even tho struggling a bit more might be a while before a lot really notice it. So less money to spend on luxury items and more be going on food and fuel etc. Maybe interest rates go up so more on that for people so yeah I say be a while if it does happen more summer time maybe autumn but then again what do I know I'm probably 100% wrong.

First signs of recession? Screenshot from Twitter a couple days ago. Cafe owner in Donegal is closing down due to soaring costs.

This is what high inflation does and how it harms the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think we will be in a major recession by Q1 2022. I am surprised ECB interest rates haven't risen already but I guess there is a lot going on.

Our national debt will restrict our options during the upcoming recession.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

very possible alright, so what we do now, or dont do now matters, big time, start borrowing, and quickly! the ecb knows that increasing rates now would simply help to induce a downturn, so its remaining on the fence, and thank god, as our current inflationary pressures have little or nothing to do with the money supply, and increasing the price of it, the rate, wont solve the causes, i.e. supply and energy markets!

we need full and widescale eu support for a rapid expansion of the public money supply, i.e. public debt, to limit the damage of a downturn, but this needs to be highly focused investment, and not towards the norm of inflating asset prices, qe etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We're in a recession now. It's just not confirmed by quarterly numbers. By the time it is, we'll be on the other side.

unfortunately critical markets dont seem to be settling at all, with uncertainties growing in food and energy markets, this potentially could get very scary very quickly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's just not confirmed by quarterly numbers

Isn't a recession by definition, 2+ quarters of GDP decline?

So earliest we would see it is end of Q2, although given the leprechaun economics wrt Irish GDP, we likely could still be posting 'growth' for a while yet

id argue, most peoples lives havent actually truly recovered since the last crash, the methods and metrics we use to measure are no longer fit for purpose, they probably never were anyway, but over time, theyre becoming less relevant to the lives of the many....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The idea that "its the economy stupid" the rising tide lifts all boats has long proven to be a fallacy as most people nowadays would admit that in spite of record GDP metrics and all kinds of economic records broken that their quality of life in Ireland has not improved.

However recessions are fundamentally an economic metric not a quality of life metric, so until we see 2 consecutive quarter dips in GDP* we arent in recession

*GDP or modified GNI in our case since our GDP is so far detached from reality

...we need to come up with new and far more reaching metrics, and quickly, most have detached from all meaning towards most, they largely have no relevance to most, but we keep defaulting to them, its adding to the rising tensions in our societies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭salonfire

We've already borrowed 240bn+ euro. How much more needs to be borrowed? When do we start to see the supposed outcomes of your theory from the borrowing to date?

I am going to continue asking you this question until you answer it.

Lads, I just put him on ignore. Like talking to the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Recession, as defined by those metrics, is a cutesy Keynesian load of cobblers. Valid within that frame but ultimately not a valid reflection of reality at all.

We are currently in a melt-up I would say. On our way to stagflation. Nominal wages will rise, possibly quite radically, but still not enough to outpace CPI and certainly not enough to outpace inflation.

Price inflation (price increases) are almost purely the result of currency creation, particularly where it has been helicopter money and has shores up consumer spending and pent-up savings i.e delayed spending which has been expressed in house prices (and other assets) overtopping.

Inflation was built into the Euro. The 2% target of ECB and FED ties in with the purposeful 2% destruction per annum of purchasing power. That's how they rock n roll.

At least in the ECB's case until the smorgasboard avalanche of helicopter money that came with the pandemic. 2002-2020, the euro lost 40% of its purchasing power. How much more, then, across 2019-2022?

Did the ECB also inject megafunds in Q3 2019 at the time of the interbank REPO crisis? Or was it just the FED?

Anyway, regardless of the strict definition of a recession, if we're not in one already, we will be within another quarter, even if GDP or GNI rise due to inflation (currency growth) and nominally say otherwise.

Nominal numbers don't go too far at the shops.

Edit: Don't mind me. Ramblings of a committed long haul silver and gold bug.

Very interested in the views on this thread. A number of quality posters.

Advertisement