Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Martin claiming the lack of affordable rentals around the country relates to the influx of Ukrainian refugees.

Like it only began two months ago. Absolutely shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,980 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You are kidding, did he seriously say that, mother of God, aside from the influx is he seriously suggesting this is something new, the man is completely out of touch with reality 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Just heard on the news. He was very dramatic. He went on to say we shouldn't be looking at helping one group (irish) but all groups. I get that, but trying to blame it on the Ukraine invasion is some cheek.

I'm gobsmacked, is he aware who opened the flood gates but more importantly there's been feck all private rentals done for Ukrainians, the majority are in hotels , this is just extraordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are all the one issue around natural gas, and the difference is nuance not major, in that I think we need it strategically for a few more years.

I have other differences with them, but the fundamental point is that climate change is the biggest challenge we face, and they are the only ones taking it seriously.

I could say that I see little difference between your policy positions and Sinn Fein's but you would robustly deny it and probably report me. The reality is that there is no political party that matches my views, the Greens are the closest, and the policies I most disagree with, around economic policy, are held in check if they are in coalition with FF or FG.

https://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/#/11111111111

Look at the country report for Ireland

"Ireland performs well in many dimensions of well-being relative to other countries in the Better Life Index. Ireland outperforms the average in jobs, education, health, social connections, safety and life satisfaction."

"In Ireland, households on average spend 21% of their gross adjusted disposable income on keeping a roof over their heads, broadly in line with the OECD average of 20%."

"In Ireland, the average home contains 2.1 rooms per person, more than the OECD average of 1.7 rooms per person. In terms of basic facilities, nearly every dwelling (99.8%) in Ireland contains private access to an indoor flushing toilet, more than the OECD average of 97%."

There is your anecdotal perception and there is the reality that life is good for most people in Ireland.

Have I now to detail all the preference votes I have given over the years? What an personalised idiotic approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Does anyone else find it galling that a school teacher Martin is still learning lessons?

We can only assume he doesn't care. He was asked about the lack of affordable rentals and he cited the crisis in Ukraine. So he's either unaware or doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Well for starters as I have told you on numerous threads I have never voted for Sinn Fein because of their economic policies but at this stage from looking at the alternatives I certainly would not rule them out next time around. Whether you wish to believe that or not is of complete indifference to me.

It is only nuance that the Irish greens have banned all prospecting licenses (bizarrely other than for gold and silver) are attempting to ban LNG and are stonewalling on Barrtroe when we have our own regulator saying our present source of gas is unsecure in the middle of a European crisis that is causing a gas shortage and to you that is only a nuance! You really do post some terrible rubbish.

From memory you didn`t agree with their policy on water charges and now you do not agree with their economic policies either. Other than them being a handy vehicle for your disdain for all things rural, it is difficult to see what you do agree with them on.

No mention of your sharing your self claimed expertise on all things legal on wording a bill which would make it legal to gift or sell turf in a community of 500 people or less, where it would be illegal to do so for a community of 501. Or even how such communities could be defined and mapped for the purpose ?

Take your time, while I am eager to hear, I`m in no rush.

Sounds like Both , just astonishing. If there's not a backlash over those silly comments, I'd be shocked, imagine people looking for rental property, paying absorbant rents listening to that shyte , it's just beggar's belief .He knew exactly what he was saying also by throwing in the "we shouldn't be helping one group" comment. It's as if this government is actually and deliberately trying to infuriate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What?

None of that refers to the current mess that the government has created and is in.

The bolded parts....

On average 21% goes to keeping a roof over their heads? I would not be surprised to find out it was higher than that, but in any case, that's average.

2.1 rooms per person, - you are highlighting/quoting housing as a good thing in Ireland? Really?

Indoor flushing toilets? 🤯

WTF nonsense.

As mentioned, nothing there is really relevant at all to the current mess.

The angle is likely to accuse anyone complaining about housing to be against helping refugees. We'd one lad on here saying complaining about it was the same as killing them. This is the dishonest yarnage we have to put up with.

4m 50 sec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Those stats have been widely criticised on boards before, the rooms per person metric is very questionable too. I believe it turned out irish rooms are far smaller than average for starters.

As for things like average disposable income spent on housing, people living at home with their parents because they cant afford/cant find a place to rent are paying 0, and older people with low/no mortgages skew stats similarly. Median average would give a better idea, but OECD metrics for that do not give a median average.

Blanch could get a run out on the govt spin team

Later on in that show , Tom Parland from the CIF interviewed and painted a very Grim picture affecting major public infrastructure projects, essentially saying if current contracts are not renegotiated , civil engineering firms facing ruin or will have to pull out due to increased costs, he also said none of his members will even tender for new fixed priced contracts such is the uncertainty.

This an absolute mess but of course , Minister understands the CIF's concerns and looking into how existing contracts can be looked at. We know what that means, add another few €100 million onto projects like the new children's hospital 🙄

O Dear, getting very serious

If there was ever a picture of smugness, the picture on the article is it, not sure if watt is also showing his two fingers along with his now infamous contemptuous stare.

Donnelly refusing and the usual party mouth pieces staying away tells us all we need to know. Maybe Watt knows were all the special envoy positions are buried?

It's been an extraordinarily bad week and it's only Wednesday 😏 I see MM has ruled out ban of the sale of Turf for the rest of the year, how gracious of him, Kick the problem down the road 🙄, interesting it's him making that statement and not ER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It makes it an FG problem then as he will have fecked off out of the half-taoiseach position in December.

Regards...jmcc

Indeed but there's as many FG TD'S kicking up over this as FF TD'S.

Leo's escaped to the US 😁

FF and FG TDs expect to get one hell of a kicking at the ballot box over this and it might be the end of their snouts in the public trough for many of them. They probably still have nightmares about the Water Tax.

Regards...jmcc

In all fairness I would not hold it too much against him for lobbing that ball of trouble back to FG and Varadkar with all the attempts at undermining that have been going on.

I imagine he must be delighted with Martin sending that hospital pass on turf his way. 😅

Yep. He may have more to worry about with FF backbenchers plotting to replace him before then. The FF ministers who lost their jobs while those FGers involved with Zapponegate did not may still be a sore point with some FFers.

Regards...jmcc

The lot of them are flummoxed on the issue, what I find extraordinary is both FFG have large amount of rural TDs and their reactions were predictable.

ER knows nothing about rural politics, however there is I believe at least one green junior minister who's rural (carlow based) , Councillors and a few senators (Including one who's particularly potty) , did none of them whisper in ER ear and explain what will happen if they touch Turf.

I don't for a second believe the nonsense about missing words in the response to PQ or the "Not intended" BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It was only yesterday someone post an article from FG website in 2019 when they had a plan to roll out the turf ban. FF also had a plan to ban turf but more quickly

The Greens have come in and said they want to ban but it is delayed.

Now maybe I am missing something here, all of the parties in government have said they want to ban turf. So why of why do we have so many posts about the turf ban and what the government parties want to do on it?

I will let you into a secret, they want to ban it. The discussion now is when, not if.....

• Advertisement

They wanted Water Charges Too, How did that End 😉

Advertisement