Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Now maybe I am missing something here

Yes. Eamon said there was a turf ban coming, varadkar said it was being paused. Ryan said it wasn't, it was going ahead. Then he said he meant to put 'draft' on it. I honestly don't know how you missed all of this. Its been the heart of the story as much as the ban itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Are you actually trying to compare water to turf? F**king hilarious 😂

I really have heard it all now on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,980 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not at all, you mentioned they "Wanted" just clarifying what they want and what they get are two very different things 😉

What you've heard, yet again, is in your head

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

But will lesson's be Learned 🤔This is the Big perplexing question 😁

• Advertisement

How I missed your description? Well for starters it’s completely incorrect but you know that, if I hope you do

Anyway as usual you failed to contradict anything I posted so I’m right, thank you 👍

I wasn't trying to contradict you. You claimed not to know what the deal was and I told you the time line exactly as it happened.

No I didn’t, I said maybe I was missing something and clearly I’m not…

Unless you also want to try compare turf to water?

Well you missed everything I pointed out.

I believe the point was they were both plans they thought people would swallow. Thankfully they never set up another quango and gave their friends jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,135 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I think nobody in either FG or FF thought the greens would be so daft as to attempt it. Either that or they are so pissed off with the greens on LNG etc. that they were happy to let the off and watch the roasting. I don`t believe the response or the "Not intended" BS either. Nothing but an attempted ass-covering exercise.

When you see the likes Patricia McKenna`s reaction to the granting of licenses for gold and silver exploration, my guess would be that there is a cabal within their hierarchy, similar to Ryan that know s f a about rural politics, that are calling the shots without consulting anyone. The reaction of some of their representative showed as much. They were as flummoxed as everyone else.

That T.D. representing Carlow-Kilkenny is Malcolm Noonan. He spent 20 years as an environmental activist with Friends of the Earth, so most likely in the same stables as Ryan when it comes to his knowledge of anything rural.They have a history on turf as well being the cheerleaders for the recent closure of peat burning plants.

Comically today the bold Malcolm tweeted thanking the leaders of farming organisations for meeting him to discuss protected areas. A day late and a dollar short there Malcolm.

• Advertisement

"As Blackadder would say"

Plans So Cunning you could put an S infront and call them Scatterbrained 😏

That's the chap, couldn’t think of his name, I have the Delightful Pippa Hackett in my constituency, Lady Pippa as she's known, absolutely clueless, she actually said the PQ response was misleading, with friends like that, who needs enemies 😁

Thats the thing. FF/FG have normalised all the crises.

Katie Hannon played an exchange from the Dail last night, a listener Texted in

"Please tell me that was Callan's Kicks" 😁

Hillarious, FG and Greens at each others throats on the Late Debate. Who needs an opposition 😁

Greens insisting Ban going Ahead

FG, "Only if its agreed by the whole of Government"

FF (MM) There's no plan to ban turf this year.

I`ll let you in on something that is not really much of a secret, but like everything else has gone over your head.

After both the FF & FG parliamentary parties tore Ryan a new one the discussion is over. His ramblings on communities of under 500 gifting and selling turf legally where those over 500 would be liable for prosecution will be filed away in that cupboard along with the promised referendum on water, never to see the light of day and avoided like the plague.

All that`s left for Ryan is a choice of reversing out of government and face a slaughter at the polls, or run away from the whole debacle and hope people forget by the time the next GE comes around. Neither great choices, but that is where idiotic ideology has left him.

I`ll let you in on something that is not really much of a secret, but like everything else has gone over your head.

Every post has a personal comment.....

That was funny. Both Greens and FF seem to be blaming FG for letting this issue get out of hand. They're not happy with how Ryan was treated at the FG TD meeting. It sounds like it was quite vulgar. Is there any honour left in FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps Varadkar is considered the equivalent of a political dead man walking. Would Martin have had the guts to do this if Varadkar was going to become taoiseach in December?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't see the government lasting the end of the year. Most people don't pay attention to politics but they pay attention to their bills and fuel prices. So when it kicks in, hell to pay.

Then you have another one that has gone under the radar over the last couple of days, 6000 student accommodation units to Ukrainian refugees over the summer, as if the war will be over by September. Maybe they can rent in many of the cities rental units.....oh wait....

So you have wizzed off workers commuting, rents skyrocketing, food prices skyrocketing, no accommodation for students in September, energy costs sky rocketing and an incumbent Taoiseach with a file against him with the DPP.

The future is bright.

Nothing personal. Just a statement of fact very easily seen by anyone reading your post.

Did you miss the reports of Ryan being gutted yesterday by his coalition partners parliamentary members who make up 73 of the present government seats compared to the greens 12, or do you somehow believe that the green party can just pass laws for whatever they wish all on their ownio ?

I imagine Martin is going to walk as FF leader after the handover as he knows he will get the heave otherwise and he wanted to leave Varadkar a parting gift.

Martin has been as much a disaster for FF as Varadkar has been for FG. FF should have easily won more seats in the 2020 GE except for Martin's inner wannabe FGer bubbling to the top in supporting Charlie Flanagan/FG's commemoration of the Black and Tans/RIC. The destruction of FF's unique identity began with the C&S agreement with FG in 2016 when FF supported FG but didn't get any mercs and percs. Now, voters can no longer tell the difference between FF and FG and SF is the most popular party in the opinion polls. Martin is the FF equivalent of Eamon Gilmore. Labour could could have been the largest Left of centre party had it stayed out of government in 2011 but Gilmore and the other pension tourists were too greedy. Labour went from 37 seats to 7 seats in one General Election cycle. This turf war might be FF's Water Tax battle because it will have to decide whether to support the ban or walk from government.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

IMO, Martin has taken enough smug undermining from Varadkar and may possibly walk at or close to his end of term. It would be the perfect two fingers and FF could pretend it was because of all the scandals and suspected criminality etc. which would enable FF save some face before election time.

It would be the smart move.

Can't see a cute hoor FF'er playing second fiddle to FG for 'stability' if Martin simply retires.

FF, I think, is also weak in some urban areas such as Dublin. It really needed to get well ahead of SF and FG but it really screwed up in the 2020 GE. That comment from Barry Cowen was interesting. The Turf War will have a greater effect on FF's older rural support. It would not be surprising to see FF walk and Martin not even make it to December. The danger for FF, and FG, is that if SF's vote reflects its opinion poll ratings, then a lot of seats that were won on SF transfers in 2020 may be SF seats after the next GE. There is also the very real risk of FF and FG candidates fratriciding because the electorate consider them to be much the same party or, in simpler terms, the Not-SF candidates. Fratriciding is when a party has enough votes for a seat between two candidates and the candidates knock each other out in the same count allowing a candidate who was marginally ahead of both in that count to win the seat. This happened with FG in Waterford where it had a Waterford City candidate and a rural/Dungarvan candidate. The two FG candidates fratricided and a Green candidate unexpectedly won the seat.

FG would have easily won a seat in Waterford had it run a single candidate but FG's candidate selection strategy was decided before Charlie Flanagan decided to go commemorate the Black and Tans/RIC. The last polls before Christmas 2019 showed FG doing quite well. Support for FG and for FF almost collapsed coming up to the GE in 2020.

FF really needs to separate itself from FG in the minds of the voters and this Turf War may actually be a good one considering FF's the age and geographical demographics of FF's support. The problem with FF is who replaces Martin. There seems to be one faction that supports Jim O'Callaghan but FF's performance in the DBS bye-election (5%) may have scared FF and if that level of support was extrapolated to a GE, then O'Callaghan's seat would be history. It probably will not as a GE has very different dynamics to a bye-election and it may be that Ivana Bacik will lose her seat as old party voting patterns reemerge. There was some signalling from Donohoe/FG before Christmas that he worked well with Michael McGrath/FF. They could be the replacement leaders. However, the war in Ukraine, the housing crisis and the fuel crisis are still going to cause problems for this government and potentially for FF/FG/Greens in the upcoming GE.

Regards...jmcc

Good analysis. I don't think FF and FG can separate themselves in the minds of the voter anymore. C&S and 3 more years of this coalition will cement the perception that they are 2 sides of the same coin. I believe there is a major recession looming too and the national debt FFG built up over the last 20 years will come back to haunt us.

"2 sides of the same coin" A perception that only Sinn Fein supporters are pushing and nobody else......it seems that you think if you say it enough times someone might believe it

Good analysis? it is just another ramble from a Sinn Fein supporters with no idea what is actually going on in the country at the moment, this thread is full of chat about "turf" which 5% of the country use to heat a house and 23% use. The maths in Sinn Fein supporters hasn't got any better since the last election. Most people don't give a sh*t and the majority of younger voters who are building houses in the countryside don't even have a fire. Again proves the information above is totally incorrect.

FF before the last election came out and said they would ban all smokey fuels including turf. 😂 now we are having predictions that FF banning turf will be hurtful in the next election.

Check out online about a certain "landlord", that is what everyone is discussing.

You seem angry but I know that you know I am not a Sinn Fein supporter. You know it and yet you cannot help yourself labelling people that do support FFG as such. Interesting mindset. Simple default response. I'll be a bot next. Carry on...

• Advertisement

Angry? why would I be angry?

I just pointed out some glaring issues on what you described as "Good analysis"

Next time if you want to response at least discuss the topic instead of having a go at the poster. I doubt it will happen but just some friendly advice.

P.S. Please except my humble apology for thinking you are a SF supporter....

Advertisement