Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I feel like I must have missed something too, because I also feel like I just wasted 3 hours of my life. What a disappointment. I was bored within 30 minutes and came close to turning it off a few times. It seems Reeves was more intent on getting a perfect shot than he was on anything else. The unnecessary long bike ride at the end being a stand out. I reckon there was maybe 5 minutes total of enjoyment in this. Two very short fight sequences, the initial revealing of the car, and the end Arkham scene. That's it. Everything else I felt fell flat.

I felt no connection to any of the characters. I couldn't have cared less about them. Emo-Bats is bad. I feel he was hired for his chin, because he does make a good Batface outline. But he's the same shovelface from Twishyte. I had no idea what he was going for, because it just felt like he was there because he had to be. I agree the Catwoman story was unnecessary, the already weak story wouldn't have been any less without it. I felt her character was cheap. She did a good job with what she had, but was let down by the script. Alfred was nothing special, and the forced hand hold scene... ugh. Plenty of those forced scenes that I hard roll-eyed to. Felt teenage drama at one point.

Colin Farrell seemed good, but was under-utilised. Tuturro as Falcone was a terrible choice imo. He just doesn't have the face for that kind of role. He portrayed no threat whatsoever. Dano was good, but not amazing. I don't know what other people see, but it just felt fake at times to me. Again, I felt no threat from him, not in the way Ledgers Joker did, and I mention that because I read someone saying that he outdid Ledger... ah, no. Far from it.

The car chase scene was ruined because of the rain, again all to set up lovely looking shots but at the expense of the action. I dunno. I just don't know what it was trying to be. The payoff was weak, it was too long, and it doesn't hold a candle to most of the Batman films before it, even the campy ones. Maybe we'll get a Snyder type cut, but at already 3 hours, I don't think I could bring myself to watch it again if it was even longer. I wasn't even expecting too much tbh...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think this was standalone and expected to live within its own runtime, but I'm not naive either that Reeves (and WB in particular) had their eyes on sequels; that's par for the course with any blockbuster - franchise'ability is baked in. The last act was proof enough of that with the teaser of Joker

(sidebar: were I writing the film the denouement, it would have been earlier at Wayne Manor(?)... when Bats realised Riddler was an orphan Left Behind by Thomas Wayne's empty gesture; with a return of the Saw adjacent traps, the house booby-trapped, some kidnap victims at risk that Bats had to help. Alfred perhaps. It would have made the climax more personal, and you still could have had that realisation Riddler had coopted Batman's purpose, and that Bruce should adjust his mindset. The big, bombastic army finale was so shíte, and felt like big-time studio interference. Just my 2c but when Batman arrived at the mansion it had that feel of a trap)

But Batman is a funny case anyway because more than most superheroes, the world and its mother could give you a potted history of the character, so lots of foundational stuff didn't need covering either way - the obvious example being that finally we didn't see Crime Alley yet again ... 'cos everyone knows Batman's origin. TBH my main motivation for my post was countering this No True Scotsman hostility towards criticism; oh, only true fans would understand the nuances of this film. If you don't like it, you mustn't be a true fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just finished it. Solid 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it! It captured the spirit of Batman and Gotham City perfectly - loved the darkness and intensity throughout. Pattinson was just brilliant as Batman.

Probably my second favourite take on Batman after Batman Begins. 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Might have been said already but it is available to rent on iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

What was the point of the rocket car that could barely keep up with penguin family saloon ?

First 10 minutes were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

To look intimidating I guess.

In fairness, the saloon was a Maserati.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Stick to the scooter if you think that was a family Saloon .

Maserati Quattroporte 0-60 in 5.5 second & a top speed of 190mph,(305 kmh)

Some sites claim 0-60 in 4.4 & top speed of 203mph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Battinson will return for the sequel with Matt Reeves. Variety reported that the director was there to make the announcement during WB Discovery's presentation panel at CinemaCon earlier tonight. No other new details was known about the sequel though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Possibly the least surprising blockbuster news; at least with Reeves at the helm it'll guarantee a continuance of the look, though hopefully the script can be tightened up this time.

• Advertisement

• I really hope it's a new villain and they don't bring in another Joker. It was cool seeing Keoghan doing that scene but I don't think it would work as a full movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thought this could have done with some tighter editing and the removal of a few scenes, but other than that it's the best Batman film I've seen it in years, actually preferred it to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Reeves and Pattinson have expressed an interest in using Mr. Freeze and Callander Man.

I would like to see more of this version of Joker though. Perhaps Batman can have an encounter with Joker in Arkham and Joker can be on the loose in a later movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No Eartha Kitt?

Now to see how long it takes to do the sequel with DC's history of trying to make films. Seems this new crowd plans on being more structured.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would love to see the stage set cleverly for Joker alright - like, maybe use him like a Hannibal Lecter figure, someone with an insight into madness that Batman can speak to. Just setting his character, and building a dynamic between the two of them, before making him the chief adversary in the 3rd movie.

I was thinking the Hannibal Lektor thing myself but would the Joker be that stable that he could advise? And would Batman turn to him? So I was thinking some kind of encounter where he mind-f***s with Batman or Bruce. Maybe Bruce is interested in in changing Arkham in memory of his mother (I assuming there is more to changing her maiden name than has been revealed) and he can’t help but want to meet Joker again. They could also use this to introduce Dr. Quinzel (she could also be a part of the proposed TV show).

It should only be a few minutes though just to tease what kind of Joker Keoghan is. Save the rest for when he is the Big Bad.

Who is the new crowd?

I thought the same guys Ray Fisher complained about were still running DC and WB

I knew about the merger but for some reason I didn’t factor that in when asking about the new order at DC.

Glad to see someone wants to properly organise DC and get Superman off the shelf again.

I’m no business man - I won’t even take a management job - but I do worry at the idea that the new CEO is apparently less interested in a creative leader and more interested in someone who can make the “factions at DC work together”. I would think getting rid of factions is the place to start.

• Advertisement

Not sure how anything supernatural or mystical would work in Reeve's version. More than Nolan's movie it seemed aligned into a world without flying Kryptonians and magic being real. Not "realistic" but aggressively lo-fi.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I didn’t know what characters or elements of Batman you are referring to but a “supernatural” villain could be irk with this Batman - the bad guy could be using tricks and deception.

Mr. Freeze could be made lo-fi too - there is probably plenty of real life cold tech they could use for crimes.

Most of the rogue's gallery you could strip down into something lo-fi sure - I said as much earlier and IIRC spitballed Clayface (one of the most definitively sci-fi villains) as some deformed killer who uses masks, plastic surgery or somesuch. Scarface/the Ventriloquist, or Calendar Man being two characters who are simple "crazies" anyway, to be reductive, albeit with a theme.

I was thinking though specifically of Superman and Wonder Woman, the extended Justice League world - and whether the new corpo plan involves trying to wedge the superpowers and aliens into this universe. They shouldn't IMO, I can't see how it would work and maintain the tone of the thing - but we'll see. Not sure how this new plan might work anyway, given WW and Aquaman have both done well for the studio, being trailing edges of the dead Synderverse.

I don’t think what is said in that article is suggesting that the new CEO wants an MCU - seems more like he just wants DC to get its act together about using Superman, etc.

I would like the Pattinson Batman to be independent of other DC characters. I would like Justice League world but the properties seem to be doing well as there own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Initially after watching this I thought it was good but wouldn't be rushing back to watch it. But seen it a second time at the weekend. And enjoyed it way more than the first time.

There's alot to take in from the scenes and the narrative. And really is more about Bruce's struggles, learning that the world isn't black and white and changing from a vengeful vigilante to a hero of sorts.

This was lost on me after the first watch...

The scene towards the end where one of the Riddler's followers said "They were vengeance"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought it had its moments. Could have done without the emo haircut (Especially as Bruce Wayne at the funeral. Scrub up, man. you are at a funeral :) ). I thought Kravitz was great as Selina Kyle. Someone with their own agenda and not simply there as a conflicted love interest. And Colin Farrell was simply amazing under that makeup. While his scenes were brief, it was a truly remarkable and unrecognisable transformation. I mean, even under such heavy makeup, you can still usually see the person (Especially if told who they were: "Ooooooh yeah, I THOUGHT I recognised him"). And Dano gave a sufficiently creepy performance (As usual). I liked the initial voice-over and the ever reliable Andy Serkis.

I was surprised when it came out about Keoghan. I thought this was in the same universe as The Joker.

IMHO, it certainly did lose it a bit in the final act. Specifically the flooding. And yeah, that bike "sex-scene" was a bit on the nose.

Did we need another Batman (so soon) after Nolan's trilogy? I don't think so. But at least they did their own thing. I've said over the years that I would like a PROPER Gotham City PD series. A decent street-level cop series that BARELY relates to Batman: The crimes are a BIT more heightened, the criminals a BIT more unhinged. (I loved Joseph Gordon Levitt in TDKR..... Just... Just don't mention the "You should use your middle name" eye-gouger). This would have been a great case for Harvey Bullock or Rene Montoya (I'm a fan of TAS). Have them working on the case and getting pissed if people suggest "The Detective" should take over. That kind of thing.

So, I liked it. Thought it lost focus towards the end and dial back the emo just a tad. Not too much, it IS Batman after all. DON'T do Joker in next.Do someone we haven't seen in the movies yet

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

Not that I'm trying to convince you to like the movie but here's what others seen that you may not.

"Far too long for an insubstantial script - 1½ hours would be more than enough"

First of all I thought of this movie in a comic book/sin city fashion. But Reckon it was 20 mins too long.

"Pattison is too puny for Batman"

Looks big enough to me in comparison with the the Gotham under world. He's got strong armour with standing shot guns and bombs??

"I'm going to flood the city - everyone under 2 feet of water saying ok..."

There was a part where people needed to be helicoptered out, he flooded the city. (not that everyone would drown). 

"No sense of doom or impending threat"

The threats were to Gotham's elite, Gotham's ethics and batmans legacy/identity imo.

"Why does he wear eye shadow when not batman?"

Cause he doesn't spend as much time as Bruce in this movie. He's nocturnal...

"Far too friendly with the police - supposed to work alone in the night, not being all pally with the local cops"

There's one funny part where one cop hates batman but is star struck by Bruce Wayne later.

The bought off cops hate BM. The non corrupt are on his side towards the end.

"Catwoman story was totally unnecessary - only dragged the film out even more"

Catwoman is major part of the Batman lore as an anti hero was ok with me as a fan.

"As for the riddles why make it about the Riddler when you are gonna solve all the riddles in 2 seconds???"

The riddles are easy it's the cryptic puzzles underneath that is challenging batman that even Alfred helps out to solve...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I enjoyed it, loved the dark tone and the fact they kept it serious, no corniness and stupid jokes that litter most other superhero movies.

I don't think it needed to be 3 hours long, the story could of been tightened up and refined a bit maybe, penguin could of been fleshed out and used a bit more. I liked Dano as Riddler, they did a good job bringing him to the big screen, definitely a solid version of the character.

I also agree with an above poster about the choice of actor they went with for Falcone, didn't work imo, very underwhelming, he had no presence or stature, no fear factor.

Overall not perfect but as a first film it's pretty solid, there is a lot to build on so I'll be looking forward to future sequels because there is plenty of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭buried

Watched this again tonight and I still stand by my original thoughts. This film veers off into a completely different zone in the second half, that wouldn't be so bad if it was done in a normal sequential subtly done manner but it doesn't. There are too many characters and themes to try to shoehorn themselves into the actual ending. It wants to be a gritty and dirty detective movie but also wants to have the cliched loud, boombastic spectacle finale at the end with the 200 riddlers in the concert arena showdown. The two things don't thematically correlate or work in a visual sequential storyline. Pick one or the other, the two together don't mix whatsoever.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Definitely enjoyed it. I liked that we got a different Batman that doesn’t give 2 sh*ts about being Bruce Wayne(I suspect he will learn to wear that mask in the sequels), and I loved the look of Gotham(at least initially). The introduction of the batmobile was brilliant, and I liked Kravitz as Catwoman, and I never usually like her in anything. Farrell, Wright and Dano were great too. Loved the scene in Arkham.

I didn’t like how dumb the riddles were but I suppose the riddler character was revealed to be not as smart as we thought he was, doesn’t excuse everyone else taking them so seriously. The third act is definitely the weakest and feels tacked on almost.

It was a film that wanted to be a detective story but needed to be a superhero one. I think it would have been much better to let it naturally finish between Riddler and Batman instead of adding on the weak city flooding plot.

Overall though happy with it, will definitely watch the next one. I would love if they kept Joker out of these films though. We’ve had so many and it limits the direction these films can take. There’s a load of other villains out there for him to take down!

Advertisement