Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Positives from Saturday evening.

* The ambition to play the 'modern' game. You could see the intension in the warm up. In the match itself, it worked well in the first half. It wasn't just playing diagonal balls into the forwards. Nice passes down the line and stick passes to hand

* The form of Carey, Tommy Walsh, Mullen, Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh and Cody. Mikey Butler keeps surprising me.

* 23 point win

* TJ playing 70 minutes

Not so good

* 15+ wides

* Faded out of the game in the third quarter

* Billy Ryan and Shane Walsh failed to score. Still, I think Cody is encouraging them to take on their man and head for goal. Back in the day when you could watch the team train, Cody always encouraged Eddie Brennan to put the head down and go for goal.

Laois were poor and Kilkenny are not going to turn a corner quickly, they will probably revert to type when they come under pressure but it was possibly a start in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The real hurling starts now but as others have said with a small crowd you could hear and see backs trying to give better and varied ball into the attack but it's against teams like galway will we know have we really turned a corner. We've seen the last few years when the squeeze came on we presisted with route one puckouts and clearances. Wally has being trying fierce hard since the league hopefully he can keep it going.I wouldn't be too critical of Shane Walsh he was like a lad too anxious I'd definitely presist with him.He just needed a score to settle and didn't take the few chances he got. Mullen needed a good game for his confidence. Huge match next Sunday and anything other than a win would be a dissapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Next weekend is huge for Kilkenny hurling.

The U20 match is as important for me. A win isn’t critical, a performance is.

Doubt Galway U20 mgmt. thrilled with Henry bringing on Tiernan Killeen last night when Galway winning by a cricket score. He is n ow ineligible along with Gavin Lee.

On Senior, Salthill is a dreadful hurling venue and my least fav ground (Walsh Park number 2). Even on the calmest of days there is a gale blowing.

We now have all our accurate shooters on the field (bar Hogan). Donnelly, Maher and Mullen are much better strikers than Keoghan, Kenny, Alan Murphy and Billy Ryan.

If Ryan continues to start, I think Cody should as a rule whip him of after 50 mins, he rarely finishes games well. Ideally Hogan should be sprung at that stage.

Limerick continue to look ridiculously strong, but they are playing every game in a frenzy of passion and fury and have already picked up two injuries. Can they do this for 7 straight matches? It’s risky even for a team as immensely strong as them.

If they can their greatness cannot be denied.

Waterford? I was unimpressed and the two late goals flattered them, even after they scored them, Limerick owned the last 5 mins and shot a welter of wides. Every time a ruck developed you just assumed a Limerick player would emerge with ball.

The talk of Waterford having the best panel in Ireland is nonsense for me and I would say got seriously under limerick’s skin in last few weeks. They have 5-6 players in squad I wouldn’t like near the Kilkenny team.

Gleeson is infuriating, if he had Shefflin’s brilliance in option taking he could be an all-time great, but he does not, and for all his obvious skills, his decision making is brutal.

Hutchinson plays in devasting bursts but rarely for 70 mins. That leaves too much pressure on Bennett.

I have said it for months, Clare are the joker in the pack and I don’t feel their win today will be their last. And just as Galway get under Tipp’s skin, Clare get under Limerick’s skin.

If they get out of Munster and get Shanagher, Rogers and Mc Carthy back, they will be extremely dangerous opponents for anyone in quarters and semis.

If you gave me a choice between meeting them (at full strength) or Waterford in an AI semi, I’d take Waterford, especially s we have a dreadful head to head with them in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Nedflanders02

There were a lot of positives to be taken from Saturday nights game. The movement from the forwards was good and in general the ball played in was good although as things slackened off in the second half it got a bit scrappier. I thought Eoin Cody was excellent and looked really dangerous anytime the ball went in to him, TJ looked sharp even though he hasn't played much the last couple of months and maybe the games against Laois and Westmeath were perfect to get a bit of sharpness back into him. Wally looks a lot hungrier than he has for a while and his work rate was excellent on Saturday, he scored 4 points and set up a few more. At the back I think we look very solid and with the likes of Browne, Carey and Butler we have a lot of speed at the back which is something we've always struggled with. As mentioned by someone else you can see and hear why Cody rates Paddy Deegan so highly, he was constantly organising the defence and giving instructions to the players around him, he may not be the most skilful hurler but he has a great attitude and very rarely lets the team down.

Going into the Galway game it will be interesting to see if there are any changes made. On Saturday night we were able to give game time to Shane Walsh, Tom Phelan, Conor Delaney, Richie Reid and Darragh Corcoran and still had Mossy Keoghan, Richie Leahy, Alan Murphy, David Blanchfield and Cian Kenny on the bench which shows how strong a panel we have. It looked like Tommy Walsh tweaked a hamstring towards the end of the game on Saturday so it will be interesting to see if he's back or who will come in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

I’d say Cody is happy out with where they are. The more people talking about Waterford the only challengers to Lim the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think Limerick themselves see Kilkenny as their only serious challengers. Thats the opinion down around the Limerick-Clare border. To beat Kilkenny in a semi or Final would emulate the great Limerick team of the 1930s. I think it would be a great game. Kilkenny would do more with less ball than most other teams. They'd be economical. Possession wise ,I couldn't see them getting more than 40% Possession but that could be enough to win. Anyway its up to Kilkenny to get to the semi or final because i think Limerick will. They ll beat Tipp and put out the Bs against Clare in round 4 unless Clare are threatening to get into the Munster final.. even at that I think they ll rest abit for round 4. They can't keep the pedal to the metal all the way to July..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

McCarthy out for the year, Rogers probably wont see Championship action, not sure about Shanagher, Meehan now gone as well and unlikely Reidy will be back either so Clare are threadbare in forward division, so you wont have to worry about them in June or July

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Thanks, but generally if a player is gone for season you hear it (eg Mc Carthy). The converse being that if not ruled out for season there is a belief they may appear. But dont think Lohan is going to say "we will have x y and z back once we get out of Munster"

They are a good team but withoiut one or two of those injured, they have a tail. But put even two of Rogers, Shanaher and Reidy into the mix and they are a match for anyone (maybe even Limerick)

I do believe Cork and Waterford are made for Limerick. Kilkenny and Clare maybe less so, and Galway who really knows.

Since 2017 Limerick have routinely hockeyed Cork and Waterford but their games v Kilkenny and Galway have been miles closer.

As the poster above said, Kilkenny, more economical and fewer wides than most teams etc might punish Limerick on just 40% possession (especially if Limerick have one of their bad shooting days) while Cork and Waterford as we have seen these last two years will get blown away at 40%..

That is why from a Kilkenny perspective I have repeatedly said we need our most accurate (economical) players on the field, and it looks like we are getting very close to that.

Probbaly wishful thinking but the only realistic scenario I see Limerick beaten in Croke Park this year is by a team shooting close to 90% (huge ask) while Limerick shoot sub 60% (which they regularly do).

Limerick's continual profligacy will hurt them in a match sooner or later and the beneficiary will be an economical team who hit an exceptional day in shooting accuracy.

It will be intresting to see tactically what way Henry will set up his team to take down kk. Its the master versus the pupil and if he has learnt anything over the years I suspect Henry will go after our new comers in defence. I still have reservations over Tommy Walsh but while I've great time for mikey butler I could see Henry trying to isolate him and drop in a few high balls. Clare got it spot on with duggan on quigley last weekend. A huge height difference.We'll also feel we can get at their rookie corner back and daithi Burke and g mac arent hurling as well as previous years.Eanna Murphy in goal can be suspect at times so hopefully we can ask a few questions.Galway will come with huge physicality and will be anxious to win at home but this is a game that was earmarked a long time out and we can have no excuses.We've had a nice run in and no huge injuries.Conor whelan is a huge loss and I feel he makes that team tick.Tom monaghan is well able to score a few points and cathal mannion caused us big problems over the years so we need to have match ups right. That's why I think he went with conor browne last weekend because he could be given a man marking job and he probably trusts him more heading over to salthill.Mikey carey has improved alot over the few years. He loves to get up the field and has a great engine.James maher and mullen will hopefully give us more of a scoring threat from midfield.i think we'll see a few changes and we could see a system like we seen in the league where a Buckley or Alan Murphy come out around midfield and two players left inside Padraig has being a big help to the forwards and hopefully he'll cause gmac questions although padraic mannion could pick up padraig and joe cooney take up tj when out the field. Gmac will take wally and Grealish will probably follow cody everywhere so this is why we'll need a big game from Billy Ryan. We need to convert the chances we create especially any goal chances. We'll have a much better idea Sunday evening if we've turned a corner with our tactics I.e puckouts and deliveries from defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Really looking forward to the game this weekend..I've never changed my mind as much..on one hand I think we failed the only real test we had this year against cork who I don't even rate that highly

On the other hand I like our new coner back..I think our half back line is doing well.with plenty of pace..Mullen to midfield might just be a masterstroke..half forward line very solid and cody is as good a corner forward as is out there...

I do think cody is building a team with limerick in mind.. I would love to see wally running at the famous Green Wall..

Sunday will answer some if not all our questions/ doubts

As previous posters said hopefully when the pressure comes on they don't revert to long high ball all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Was in the old stand on Saturday evening and was very disappointed to see kids being stopped from going out on the pitch afterwards. I also heard this from Laois people who travelled with their kids to see the game. Preserving the pitch can't be a valid excuse especially after they drove two cars on to it at half time. Does anyone here know why this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Insurance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

That's a shame...up in Mullingar the last day they opened all gates at half time and hundreds of kids were out pucking, great to see.

Insurance is either an issue everywhere or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Insurance was never mentioned at the stewards meeting. It was all about the Leinster council directives

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

You wouldn’t see a blade of grass in Parnell park there is that many kids on and this is amazing that when play is to resume a school alarm /bell is sounded and the kids clear the pitch themselves without being hunted.In Semple stadium the announcer asks the crowd to give the future stars a round of applause before they exit the pitch ,these are great ways to encourage kids.which should we encourage the options above or rogue claims?

by The way we’re the two cars insured to drive on a pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Gaelic Grounds last Saturday night had Kids on playing after.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The players did a long training session after the match on Sunday. It including a lot of running at speed the length of the pitch. When it finished the kids were allowed on.

They should have explained what was happening after the match finished.

We used to have loads of kids on it one time and there was never a problem.is it a what if? Or has there been claims over the years.I remember a few years ago a young kid was filmed by TG4 at half time of an inter county u21 match his skills were awesome and it immediately hit the you tube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KILvGAL 

E Murphy 

M Butler H Lawlor T Walsh 

M Carey P Deegan C Browne 

J Maher C Buckley 

W Walsh P Walsh A Mullen 

B Ryan TJ Reid E Cody 

Subs 

D Brennan 

C Delaney 

R Reid 

D Blanchfield 

C Fogarty 

C Kenny 

A Murphy 

J Donnelly 

M Keoghan 

R Leahy 

T Phelan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

I don't know what Blanchfield and Donnelly have done wrong. I don't know what Browne and Buckley have done right

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Donnelly unlucky not to make it but really can't understand how Browne is in instead of Blanchfield. I thought that Coady was trying to get minutes into Browne against Laois and Blanchfield would be back. Browne didn't do enough for me to warrant keeping his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Looks like a dummy team to me. Buckley and Billy Ryan may drop to the bench with Mullen to midfield, Donnelly to wing forward and possibly Alan Murphy in for Billy. Good to see Fogarty back on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Probably better to have Donnelly as an option to come on, bench isn’t too strong

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

You have to wonder about Blanchfield its very hard to understand, big weekend for us hopefully we will get the right results.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Cody trying out his famous tough love on blanchfield by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

Assuming Buckley drops to the bench, there seems to be a move by the management team to bring a lot more size to the middle 8 with James Maher, Mullen, Browne and TJ starting instead of Kenny, Buckley, Blanchfield (may need a little more time to fill out) and Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Cody being the bollix as usual, blanchfied has been excellent for us so far but looks like he is going to get the usual treatment and I hope he has great inner strength, as confidence could start evaporating fairly quickly. Good to see leahy on the bench. Would love to see him get an injury free run this year. I like him and think he has a lot to offer especially coming in off the bench. Will Cody use the five subs and use them early in the second half as lads tire hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Think blanchfield needs another year and run through the league, doubt he’ll see too much more game time this year. Hopefully Browne can stay injury free, hasn’t had much luck

• Advertisement

I'm not suprised with that team. I said here earlier in the week he trusts browne over blanchfield at this moment. Blanchfield will hopefully make it but cody knows he'll need all the physicality he has going to salthill. Browne is obviously going to pick up cathal mannion who has caused us hardship or Tom monaghan who's chipping away with a few points every match. I know its definitely tough on blanchfield but when I seen browne starting last week I felt he had this game In mind to pick up cathal mannion who'll be one of their danger guys now that whelan will be out.He can also play corner back something blanchfield isn't familiar. He can go out to midfield and half forward. The middle third will be a war zone and both managers will want their danger men inside taking their chances. Looking forward to seeing how butler goes Henry will surely go after him and Tommy.Id be hopeful we can get the win especially now that whelan is out and they've no canning anymore but galway is a tough place to get a result. This is our first big test of the year. We've failed miserably against cork the last two years and puckouts and deliveries being a contributing factor along with maybe fitness issues which has being a problem a few year. We can't revert to route one and aimless puckouts if galway have the foot on our necks.I do think our panel is getting stronger. Darren mullen and Hogan have hamstring problems and bergin has a broken finger. Shane Walsh must be injured he was going well in training a few weeks ago. Things didn't go his way last weekend.Corcoran didn't make the 26 but its good to see fogarty back.

Advertisement