Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Yikes - low 600s... Feel a bit humbled as I felt it went well and I was in 20s for AP a while back... I've no handle on the likelihood of a stage 2 call now... Well done to all those who placed in the first batch!!! A great achievement in itself..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Wolverinx-not sure exactly, but I would say 100s and 100s ... maybe 500 or more ...

Ahell, if I was a betting person (I'm not), I would say video pre record with 3 questions, with the leadership one being the one that if you don't pass it, the other 2 are not assessed.

We will see, I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ahell

I would quite like that option, I'm not a huge fan of etray style exercise.. But yes will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolverinex

Was just reading back over the 2019 thread and there is a comment that at one point number 754 from this original stage ultimately got called so there’s hope for many yet.

In the meantime, all the very best to those going forward to Stage 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

Well done all. Suspect this will move super quick as there will be a huge call out for POs to run the operational on the ground teams to deal with the Ukraine refugees. Especially in DoJ, DSP and DCEDIY. I would imagine lots of POs will be on site at all the hot spots.

Will be a very interesting panel formed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 attitcus

How likely is it that they may call a second batch or will this be it?

I would think it’s very likely. From what I can make out there were at least 3 batches called in the last competition and I know that’s very usual in other competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 78Ned

Stage 2 is a shortlisting of applications .. so could end up being another cull due to not meeting eligibility requirements. Good possibility that another batch will be called to stage 2.

What OOM did last competition with 3 batches go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AirAmp2019

Anyone know how the points per question works?

• Advertisement

According to the 2019 thread anyway I should say so that’s not an official number

Thanks for that. Will just have to wait and see in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

2nd stage for AP competition I did involved analysis of application forms after apitude tests.

So if you placed in first 243 of this competition, they then have a look at your app form (this is the first time they look at them), if you don't make the grade here you are out, without progressing further.

Not sure if it applies to this competition, would be surprised it it didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Crikey, I stand corrected so... form shortlisting. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 May Day

Thanks all for the great support and practical advice over the past while. The best of luck to everyone

I scraped through by skin of teeth and am very surprised to be honest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Made the cut in low 900s. Sure see what way this competition flows from a distance.

What was the criteria for passing the application shortlist? How do they decide if you make the grade? Also up to what number OOM went on to stage 2 in AP. Can’t imagine PAS going through hundreds and hundreds of applications … so probably very limited numbers will get through …

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Ignoring all else and just going on competition wording, I guess they treat it like 243 CVs and decide who to interview in Stage 2. In fairness that makes it more like a normal competition but it is more uncertain for us right now until they decide who to call. Sounds like this chimes with AP? I could be totally wrong as I have no inside knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Someone was asking about the numbe4 called in the 2019 competition. I was in the very late 700s in 2019 and was called in the very last batch. I guess up to 830-880 were called. I managed to get in to the top 150 in this comp. Fingers crossed I'll get the whole way this time. I think 2nd stage will be three questions online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LittleMy22

I was not far off 243, so presume I’d be called in next batch. Is there almost certainly another batch after the first one? Anyone got any idea of timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

It is based on PO Level Competency Model, this was referenced in the application process. This outlines what is required as a PO, stuff like leadership - at an appropriate level, etc.

PAS go through the application form and analyse the form, comparing it to the competencies to see if you hit the key markers at an appropriate level. If you do you move on, if not, your out.

Think about it, PAS let everybody do the computer generated apitude test (zero humans required to mark this), loads won't pass (and they can't complain as PAS will say you didn't reach the grade), therefore no need to look at application forms at this stage. PAS only need to do that with the people who pass, thus reducing the number of forms they have to read through.

Of the ones that pass the aptitude tests, half will not cut the mustard because of their form. Of the ones that pass the app form review only 60% ish will turn up for interview. Those who turn up for interview, half will fail (probably more). Those who are offered jobs, only half will accept, due to various factors such as location, offer, etc...

So of the 243 at this stage now:

Half won't pass app form review - down to 122 now

Of the 122 invited to interview - 60-70 will show up

35 will place

About 20 will ultimately take the offer.

Hence why they get up to 800-900 per campaign to place 100 PO's

If you don't believe me, have a look at the stats of how many PO's were appointed from the 2019 competition. Info is freely available from AHCPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

Passed as well. OOM 743. I'm thinking i'll be in batch 4 if they're calling 243 at a time. Here's hoping they go that far.

@elgicko PAS didn't do any shortlisting based on application form in the 2019 competition (and I don't think they did For 2017 either, but am.ooen to correction). Instead, stage 2 was the online, recorded video where you has 3 mins each to answer 3 questions. There seemed to have been significant culling of candidates at this stage. I expect a similar approach this time.

It seems that both test results counted this year toward your OOM for Stage 1- is that others reading of the feedback and scoring? Last time it was only your Job Simulation score that counted and you just had to pass the Critical Analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wornout100

Got OOM 1090...have I a prayer of ever being called ??🙄🙄.. well done everyone who got through and best of luck🙌👏

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

I got OOM low 300's- hoping I get called in 2nd batch. Looking forward to hearing more info on stage 2

Just wondering did anyone apply for the PO HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bluegreenred

Thanks very much everyone. Can anyone remember how long the AP manual shortlisting for interview took?

If it is a video stage 2 instead then we hear within a week or two I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

has anyone heard anything about what stage 2 is?

Advertisement