Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private owners rights in an apartment complex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If they have 33% of the units, they have 33% of the vote.

From experience, turning up with 33% of the vote will pretty much decide every decision of the AGM because Irish apartment owners don't bother to involve themselves at all.

So unless you can convince a greater number of owners to turn up and vote against your out of luck.

And yeah, you can decide to not pay. And they can decide to take you to court over it and force you to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hontou

Nicholas Shaggy Warship, as a fellow apartment owner, observing work by the management company's outsourced contractors going on......that I knew nothing about.....I totally understand your point. But, it seems, if we don't go to the AGM's, we have ourselves to blame. Harsh as that sounds. (I am now remembering why I stayed away from apartments for decades). However, there are two issues that other posters here may not have witnessed that are relatively new to private apartment living....that you and I are witnessing. Firstly, private companies buying many apartments in a block and secondly, local authorities buying many apartments in a block. It is relatively new, and makes you feel very insecure as a single owner that bought in good faith.....and a risk that I (stupidly) had not foreseen when I purchased.

This is a key point now for all apartment owners. I’ve had mine since 2001, and has been running well, but owner representation at the AGM has been limited. Now a new block has been built and purchased by a single investor. It’s only about 10-15% of the size of the existing development, but with only 10% of existing owners typically turning up to an AGM, that one investor already potentially has a majority and can do anything they want. Myself and others will be trying to mobilise other apartment owners, or we may find ourselves having to foot the bill for work we don’t agree with, or see the very well managed sinking fund (which was enough to cover all fire related works) being run down inappropriately

• Well I was at the AGM that happened before the work was carried out

I know for sure that it was never mentioned at that AGM.

I was also a Board Director the following year and it was never mentioned on the Board and I was very active and at every meeting.

The first time it was mentioned was after it was actually implemented by PC.

Residents were wondering why there were workmen going in and out.

There was a flyer posted through doors to tell residents that there would be work going on and to basically tell them not to trip over worksheets.

There was no explanation or meeting called for residents/private owners

The first meeting about it was at a board meeting where the Management Company agent tried to push a survey through without

explaining all the facts about it to the Directors.

I rejected the survey as I wanted to see the rules and regulations about it and I said it should be brought to the AGM before we make decisions.

I had a number of arguments with the board and management agents as a result of that.

In my opinion it shouldnt have been brought to the board at this stage as we hadnt got a clue what it was about. I thought it was a manipulative move to get the survey completed before anyone could complain at the AGM. We would have the results of the survey and we would be stuck with a new standard without anyone actually having a notion about it other than the Management Agent and PC who already planned and executed their work on the PC apartments. That planning went on for almost a year beforehand behind our backs.

So, I didnt go to the AGM after that but I was told from an owner and the management agent that there was no decision made about it at the AGM due to Covid.

So it is still pending.

Funny how they thought it was perfectly fine to bring it to the board to make a decision about private owners getting surveys done etc but PC never even mentioned it on the board when it came to the decision about them.

This is why I have the problem about it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, that puts a different slant. If you were a director and work was carried out without your knowledge, then the managing agent has questions to answer, and probably needs to be fired. Directors do have control over that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The management company has the right to demand that any works done without permission from the management company are reversed and and damage done repaired to reinstate the original finish where any common areas are involved. I would imagine this would include reinstating internal ceilings. Any such works should have to be approved by the directors, the management agent should not make decisions on such a scale unilaterally.

• They only carried out work on the PC apartments and only took a sample of the common areas.

So legally PC probably didn't do anything wrong.

But the Management agent planned and implemented it without our knowledge knowing that it only works when its done for all apartments and common areas.

When I complained to the management agency, they said it will be carried out in all apartments.

Its just a matter of when.

My argument will be that I am not a tenant of PC or a council dweller and if you want to implement something that affects the entire complex without involving me in the plans or decisions then don't expect me to pay for it. I am their employer, I pay their fee and I expect to be treated equally unless the decision is made on the board or at the AGM.

The management agency did something similar with CCTV. They went off and planned where the camera's should be located with PC and never asked myself or the other Private owner for input.

When I looked at the plans, most of the proposed cameras were covering their apartments which are located in a certain part of the complex.

But we would be sharing the cost of the cameras and the maintenance forever more.

Same thing with the callouts and the children wrecking stuff in the common areas; they are mainly tenants of PC and we are stuck paying for those repairs and callouts.

Just regarding withholding fees, that will cause you problems if you ever want to sell. A solicitor for any buyer is going to ask to see that all fees are paid and up to date.

The only way any buyer would go through with a sale involving outstanding fees would be if you dropped the price by the amount owed as they would be liable for it as the new owners.

Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Am I missing something here? The PC have only done upgrade work on their own properties, and nothing to anyone else’s/common areas. The proposal to extend that to other apartments has not been acted on, presumably until OCM members get a chance to see/vote on this, what is your issue? Has it actually cost you anything?

Complain to the PC about their tenants damaging common areas, the same way you would complain to a single unit LL if their tenants did it.

• Advertisement

You really need to get on the board of directors so you can call the shots and be involved in decision making. Like I said before, nobody will protect your best interests/investment better than you.

Boards of Directors do not call the shots, they serve on behalf of the members of the OMC. Expenditure like to op is referring to would have to be put to the members to be voted on, I suspect what the op is unhappy about is that the PC owns a block of units that can sway any vote. But that is the nature of shareholding, if you own enough, you get to influence decision making. It is up to owners who object to unite and vote against it, if they don’t turn up at AGMs, then they can’t complain that their voice isn’t being heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My Dad used to own an apartment in a development with about 100 apartments.

He thought that the management charge for his apartment was way out of whack as his was a 1 bed, own outside door apartment, so no lobby or lifts, and was being charged the same as 2 and 3 bed apartments with lifts and lobby and extra doors.

He got himself on the board and found that current board members were all owners of the 3 beds and one of them was involved in the management agents too. He asked that they redo the charges for everyone in the development fairly and met with much resistance. In the end the went to the next AGM and sttod up and resigned and listed out all of the corrupt goings on by the current directors. There was pandemonium im told.

The end reult was fairer charges foir everyone and a few people took on the agents role too and fired the existing agents.

He sold the apartment about a year later so dont know how they got on after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This one of the biggest problems with OMCs. That in theory the directors are supposed to work in the best interests of all owners, but the reality is that they care only about their personal situation.

A development I used to live in but have an ear on the ground to, discovered a material/structural issue with a number of balconies in a certain type of unit. Because nobody who owned one of these units was on the board of directors, they elected not to take the cost of repairs out of the common sinking fund (where it should come from), and instead voted to set up a separate fund and add an extra charge onto the owners of these units only. The balconies were owned by the OMC and not the units, so afaik this was not legal.

Any road, they literally cut the balconies off the side of the building and sealed up the outside doors, to avoid any insurance claims until the repair fund had enough money in it. All because the directors didn't have one of those units, so they didn't give a sh1t.

In a similar vein, all of the units were using bin sheds for waste, and there was always whinging about the waste management charges. It was incessant. Many units are apartments and duplexes (and so have nowhere to put wheelie bins), but the majority are houses. The board of directors, being all house-owners at that time, voted to allow houses to choose their own waste provider, and lifted the cost of the bin sheds entirely onto the apartment & duplex owners. Which increased their fees considerably.

It's one of the reasons I'll never again buy in a development with an OMC. The corruption and pettiness is off the scale. I'm sure a lot of this stuff is in breach of company law, but who is going to do anything about it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really don't think it's accurate or fair to say that directors are only interested in their personal situation.

I'm a director of my OMC and I work for the good of the whole development. It takes time and effort but it's worth that to protect where I live.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Posted by someone who never served as a Director of an OMC I suspect. Just to clarify, issues with MUDs affect everyone negatively if there are structural problems. In every MUD I have been involved in there is a distinction between units based on size, own front door, design (apartment or house) etc, I would suspect many people think a distinction between those with an without balconies related to the maintenance is not unfair as only those with them enjoy their use, you don’t let your neighbour who doesn’t have a balcony come in and use yours whenever they want, do you?

I think his example was that only some of the balconies had issues, but they wouldnt pay for them to be fixed out of the sinking fund as theirs were ok.

Nobody is saying it happens with all OMCs, bet there are a lot of cases where the directors do not have the best interests of the whole in mind when making decisions.

This doesn't sound right to me. The apportionment of the development budget is set out in the deeds/documents signed at purchase. To change them world require agreement from 100% of the owners. Now maybe the unscrupulous directors ignored that and set their own split, but legally changing how fees are apportioned is next to impossible. We've had countless legal opinions on this that all say the same over the past 18 years.

All very well. But in this example maybe nobody ever got to know (or realize until it was shown to them) what was actually happening. People doing sneaky things can be very ... well, sneaky :)

I was probably too flippant in my language but the directors should have control over what goes on in the development. Expenditure does not need to be approved by an AGM.

• Advertisement

It does in any OMC I have been involved with unless it is an unforeseen issue that needs to be tended to without delay. Outlays like maintenance of grounds/gardens, upgrades of equipment, employment of managing agent etc are voted on at AGMs when quotes are obtained. It would be inconceivable that structural issues that are under consideration for a considerable length of time and are elective rather than necessity, would progress without consideration by OMC members.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

In my apartment complex, expenditure over a certain amount has to be approved by an E/AGM (think its 15K). All expenditure has to be approved by the Board of Directors (excluding emergency purchases such as drainage/seweage, vermin). I requested the Mgt Agents, to get a tree trimmed because it was blocking most of the natural light and doing it (because it incurred extra expense) had to be approved by the Directors.

I've had serious run-in with Management Company & Mgt Agents and I got a lot of useful information from the Apartment Owners' Network. Link here.

The Housing Agency also have a lot of useful information including this event on 4 May, 2022. http://www.housingagency.ie/news-events/webinar-owners-management-companies-discussion-legal-reform-under-housing-all

Questions you might have can be emailed to mud@housingagency.ie

If having trouble with the Management Agent, you can always make a complaint to the Property Services Regulatory Authority who licence them. http://www.psr.ie

A threat of making a complaint worked well for me in the past with our Mgt Agent!

• This is the type of useful information we need. Thanks for that

In ours we've only ever voted on the annual budget and the directors make any decisions beyond that. We've had 3 (I think) different management agents in 18 years and the only egm we ever had was about bringing in allocated parking and I don't remember ever asking an AGM to approve change of agent or major costs. I've been a director from the start (well as soon as we got our hands on the company from the developer). I've also been involved in the apartment owners network for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Have you had any major expenditure (other than regular maintenance)?

It is unusual for Directors to serve more than 3 years on a OMC Board, it is usually limited to that period.

Exterior painting was about 30k

I've stepped down and been immediately reelected as is permitted. I'm our institutional knowledge. Almost all of our original owners have moved on at this point, like I said I've been involved in the AON as well so my job is basically knowing what happened, what quotes we've had, what legal advice we got in the past, what contractors have been nightmares, as well as keeping up with legislation and schemes for multi unit developments. I probably do ten times as much work as any of the other directors but if that's what it takes then so be it.

I'm horrified at what's going on in the OP's development. The company that owns a third of the apartments should not dictate to 100% of the development. The directors being kept out of the loop is totally unacceptable too.

If unit owners can’t be arsed turning up for AGMs, then majority rules. There is a simple solution to the problem, but that would be to assume other owners agree with the op, and disagree with the PC. Again, if I am reading this correctly, works are confined to the PCs units and have not extended to common areas/other units despite being considered for a few years, so there must be a reason why, could it be that more consultation is planned with owners?

Edit: I see in an earlier post by op that this was discussed at an AGM and decision was postponed due to Covid, it is still “pending”.

From my own experience of being a Director for 3 yrs, the biggest pain in the ass was member apathy towards attending AGMs, then answering complaints about decisions made by majority vote.

To be honest, I’m surprised you have been a Director for so long, surely members must be concerned that you may be driving your own agenda. Surely it would be healthy for the Board to have new Directors every few years. I’ve owned properties in a few MUDs and attended a good few AGMs over the past 20 yrs, there has always been a new Board gradually elected over the years.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I have no agenda other than keeping the place as well maintained as possible and trying to make sure that we get value for money from all our contractors. At the beginning I would have been adamant about the development rules but some of them are a lost cause at this point (dogs in particular, not helped by a director who had one bullying the rest of us into not pursuing it for years, now that was someone with an agenda). We do have new directors too, as I said I'm the only original owner on the board.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, I'm fascinated at how the directors in the OP's development seem to have been sidestepped. Tbh I wouldn't even have been comfortable with the property company "taking samples" from common areas, common areas are management company property and they have no right to interfere with it.

• Advertisement

Read his/her posts again, the works are at the discussion stage, they were discussed at the last AGM, but postponed due to Covid, the decision is pending. The works as is, are only in units owned by the PC.

What this boils down to is that due to owner apathy, the PC will likely carry any majority vote at an AGM and the op does not want to pay for good improvements driven by the PC. This crap happens at every AGM, owners who don’t attend are unhappy with any decision made that costs them money. There is a simple solution, the op should put a flyer in every units letter box outlining his/her objection and asking for support. If the other owners agree, then the fact the PC owns a minority of units means that the majority would block them, if the owners disagree/don’t care, then the op is subject to majority rules when the works are discussed again.

Advertisement