Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Unfortunately it's happening with most counties now. Cork probably the worst offenders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭moby2101

To be fair it was a few dubious referee calls that were being booed, and not any free takers… generally not done in Limerick.

id agree with the other poster said about Cork supporters booing and using the airhorns , its a bit juvenile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭High bike

Didn't think the ref had a great game myself either but listening to Anthony Dalys podcast on the Examiner they were all saying he was very good,maybe it has something to do with who his father is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was only saying the week before that I was shocked that the Cork fans were booing frees so was pretty shocked to find out we are as bad. Some of the more insulting soccer chants need to go too.

It was more wooooo than booooo but the "you fat bstrd" thing for every single pick out is an absolute pain. Bad enough having to put up with it on a Friday night but you kind of expect it with soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

The pissed young lads under the scoreboard (maybe 200 of them) are hardly representative of the ~20k Limerick supporters there on the night. Every county has them as do Limerick unfortunately.

No but that group of young lads in every county was usually the ones with most of the flags and singing so its sad to see it turn sour. Had a few incidents of bottles thrown Saturday too which I have only ever once seen a single bottle before in 15 years of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Its the same across all counties, young people along with their parents are watching this type carry on in the premiership week in week out so young lads think its normal.From been on the terrace last saturday night 98% of the young lads seem honest enough sorts just a bit boisterous , on the positive there are hundreds of teenagers looking to be at Limericks games and its the in place to be , the ones i knew there would have a fair knowledge of hurling even if they are partaking in stupid jeering of the waterford goalie etc .

Id be far more concerned with drug dealers who are destroying communities and families all over Limerick City and County. 24/7 52 weeks of the year including many young GAA players .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

You get the bandwagon brigade in every county. They were never to be seen during the lean years. Dublin is full of them i.e. LOI or Premier League club fans who once the County team get some success going start attending matches and don't know there arse from their elbow.

We are all far more concerned about drug dealers that's just an absolutely stupid comment.

It's the Limerick GAA forum that's why we are talking about fans not drug dealers.

It is just a vocal minority and it is in every county but it's still sad to see all the same.

Those lads in the Limerick crowd are no bandwagon. Whatever problems I have with the chanting the ones I know have been going as long as me so I'll give them that at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Agree with this. I was there sat night and while the behaviour of those dopes in the middle of the back of the terrace was disappointing, the vast majority of limerick fans were dead on, really got behind their team and were grand to chat to after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've stood on the Hill on many AI final day and observed many a piss fill missle passing overhead, usually launched from the top row.

If you take a sample of a few thousand people, it's going to contain young ejits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I was in the Ennis road terrace, and as a Waterford man, found the crowd around me 100%; vocal, passionate but typical friendly GAA supporters.

There was a good few drunk young men around outside on the way in and out and I presume it was them making a nuisance of themselves on the other end of stadium; that's a societal problem rather a Limerick GAA problem.

My first Waterford game was the 1983 Munster final in the Gaelic grounds, and excessive drinking by a certain minority has always been a part of watching inter county gaa matches

On a positive note the 3 stewards I interacted with were all very pleasant with just the right about of Limerick wit and slagging.

Myself and brother where struck by the skill level of Limerick subs in warmup, we were right beside them on front row of stand before we went up to terrace. I think because the team is in such good physical shape, and know how to maximise it, Limerick don't get enough credit for their skill level. Even Hegarthy's biggest detractor would have to acknowledge his stick work/striking,

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Good win by 20s tonight anyone any idea what's the story with Patrick o donovans injury he came on v cork has he gotten injured again since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭einn32

I find the negativity towards Limerick odd because in the grand scheme of things it's not as if we have been that successful! We have a pretty poor record pre 2018. If you go just go back over 2000 to 2017 results it's fairly bleak for us.

I think it was Anthony Daly said "your allowed win 1" and everyone is delighted for ya but that's all you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah Daly is right. Remember the vitriol towards Clare in 98 after they beat Waterford in the Munster final. Colin Lynch getting banned and no one else for a melee. He was in unbelievable form that year aswell. Clare should have won a third All Ireland . Now Loughnane didn't help and wasn't as cute as Kiely.

There always been that annoying bunch of supporters. Just look at the market leaders in horrible ,drunk supporters,Tipp. They have had them through good times and bad. That's life in Ireland . The rural poor I guess,the forgotten demographic. But yeah that chant when the goalie pucks out the ball is very very annoying and it would be great if it stopped or they made up a different chant. It's not copying the premiership..most premiership matches are fairly tame . They've kinda gone beyond the crude chants..Theres still the occasional ones..but not so much at Villa Park anyway where I go.

I was at a Limerick v Waterford munster final once and there were dangerous looking guys beside me doing Cocaine...no joke. He do it every 5 mins. No one challenged him, he was too scarey and he would just look at the ball sailing over and have a crazy manic smile and that was in thurles.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Limerick are for the last two years utterly dominant(two big margin all Ireland wins and very few close matches), and the best team in country for 4 years.

Other than Dublin footballers at their peak and Kilkenny at theirs, that kind of dominance has been really rare in modern times; the great Tyrone team never managed it and their peaks stopped the Kerry team of the same period of ever being dominant. Other than Kilkenny, Clare for a few years in mid 90's were the closest in hurling and they never managed a two in a row (Jimmy Cooney's mistake fucked them up in 98 in fairness).

The other factor is the physicality of the Limerick team. There seems to be persistent element who believe you should be able to win hurling all Irelands playing dandy hurling, Kilkenny got a bit of grief on that score to but it certainly is something the current Limerick team are getting.

Even the Cork team around 99-06 had players who played on the edge (Niall McCarthy, Mulcahy etc) and they were probably the "nicest" team to win a few All Irelands.

The physical element is part of the very essence of what hurling is about; a physical contest where the small skillful guy has his place as long as he accepts the risk. That's what made DJ, Jamesie O'Connor etc great.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Now that you mention it Niall McCarthy was deadly for swinging the hurley trying to break tackles. He used to hold the hurley shorter and keep flicking it back until he got free, ref would give him a free if he didnt break free and then double fist pumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Limerick won the toss and will have home advantage for the Munster Hurling U20 Final v Tipperary.

Fixture:

Wednesday, May 4th @ 7:30 PM

Limerick v Tipperay

Gaelic Grounds, Limerick

Post edited by munsterdevil on

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anyone have an update on Cian Lynch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Hes out for remainder of Munster Championship at least!

According to Official Limerick GAA Facebook !

Sickner but not unexpected due to the nature of the Hamstring injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Yep. Must be a bad tear, you could see by the way he limped off that it wasn't great.

It's a big chance now for Cathal O'Neill. Still a developing player but I've seen enough of him at this stage to be convinced that he's going to go right to the top.

It would be no harm for the county board to spend a few quid on maintenance in the gaelic grounds. The intercom system doesn't work and can't be heard in the uncovered stand. You can't read the row numbers/letters as the paint has faded. You had people reciting the alphabet as they walked up the steps trying to figure out what row their seats were in......we're not talking big money here.......

Agreed about Cathal O Neill a real talent for sure but he needs to become more of a team player he could have put Graham Mul in for a goal against Waterford but he took on the shot and hit it wide and had 3 more wides apart from that

Ya, no doubt it was a hit and miss performance against Waterford....but he has some talent. I was sitting right in front of where he shot his last point, he pretty much had no space and no time to look at the posts but still landed it over the bar after, as you mention, having shot a couple of wides immediately before.

I'm sure the back room team will be working on that with him,in fairness to him he got on some amount of ball against Waterford and we'll able to fight for it too

Needs a bit of a power hose in the uncovered and terrace toilets too and on a grander scale a fold out table with some mars bars doesn't cut it anymore. The game in Cork was a real eyeopener in that sense.

Also and this isn't just a Limerick thing but do bands not want to play before a match anymore ?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too critical of him, he was fairly into action straight away. Maybe game awareness will come, maybe it won't but right now he should be just let enjoy his hurling. Last thing he needs is to think the fans could be on his back if he makes the wrong decision, that can be fatal for any player.

Advertisement