Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes there is a property register online, google the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Does the PPR only put the price up excluding vat??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

I recall it lists both - Total as well as excl VAT price.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Saving at the moment and had my deposit sorted a long time ago, however I lent a family member money (2 months of what I was saving) to help with a personal emergency and am now being paid back regularly. Would this impact the assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not really. The most important thing is that your income is enough to cover your mortgage comfortably. If they ask about the other money, just be honest with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Perfect thanks a million! Should be grand there so as the properties I'm seeking are asking at around 20% less than the AIP I was given. So with deposit mortgage would be even less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Currently living in an apartment but want to make a small upgrade to a cottage or bungalow. I own the apartment outright so the mortgage wouldn't be too excessive. I got a 20k loan out from the bank a few months ago that I'm currently paying off. When applying for the mortgage will the bank allow me to use the proceeds from the apartment sale to clear the loan?

Or will I have to have the loan cleared before applying for the mortgage? If that's the case I'll need to sell first and then buy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So long as you can comfortably make the mortgage repayments along with the loan repayments it should be fine. We did the same recently, we have a car loan that we are still paying off but it doesn't affect our ability to pay the new mortgage so no hassle about it.

I don't know anything about using the money from the sale to clear the loan though, someone else may know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

As the previous reply said, you can have a loan out and get a mortgage. Everything boils down to how comfortable are you paying your mortgage (stress tested against future rate increases).

It sounds like your mortgage would be way, way less than others so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's a little more nuance than that. If the property is a new build and hasn't been sold since, it'll be the purchase price - 13.5% VAT.

If it's a second hand property it'll be the full purchase price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 BAABAA96

Does anyone know how the Early repayment charge with AIB works? I’m looking to trade up to a bigger house but I’ve got 8 years left on a fixed rate. If I take out a new mortgage with them do I still have to pay the ERC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Trying to find information on the drawdown process with regards a new build. The house will be ready for snagging in a matter of week but my loan offer expires at the end of the month. Bank said they will be able to extend by a max of 1 month. Now I presume some stuff will come up with the snagging so it will be a few weeks for them to get sorted. Can my solicitor just drawdown the mortgage before the loan offer expires and hold on to the money until all the snagging stuff as been sorted?

Has anyone ever got a mobile home to live in whilst building a house on a site you own and how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

They did that in great house revival last week. Think they said it was 5k?

Had anyone here taken out a loan to buy a site?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

You can out a loan to by a site no problem. If you then apply for a morgage with a large outstanding loan they may not give it to you. Is that what your asking?

I wouldn’t be applying for a mortgage immediately it’s to get the site now as it’s exactly what we’re looking for. We dont mind waiting to build especially with this kind of loan. We could save for it no bother but that site will be gone by the time we get to paying for it out our own savings. It’s 30k with outline planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BeanHero

Unreg'ed as some people from work know me here.

Apologies if this has been asked before, the search function is awful these days.

I have been offered a new job with a huge pay rise. The new company doesn't have an office in Ireland though so I would be employed as a contractor for an "indefinite" period. In all other aspects it would be a normal permanent position, with the usual leave, bank holidays etc. It would be up to me to pay tax, health insurance and pension.

Would banks view this type of arrangement unfavourably as opposed to normal, permanent employment?

My research has shown me that as long as I wait around 6 months and show them the payslips then it shouldn't be a problem but it would just be nice to hear if someone here in a similar situation could confirm?

Would you not be self employed in that situation? I think you need two years of accounts in that scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Aguce

Banks are basicly offering 0% for saving accounts. I was hoping to get atleast few Euro while saving for deposit. When I want to apply for mortgage would bank have issues if my deposit would be in Prize Bonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If its only 30k and you are pretty sure you qualify to get full planning that shouldn't be an issue, that is a bargain for a decent site, note you will likely have to pay 7.5% stamp duty on that price also and you could claim some of that back if you start building within 30 months of buying the site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I don't think so, we had some savings in prize bonds and just had to get a statement from the Prize Bonds to say how many we owned. They are accessible money so I don't see why it would be an issue. Just to add, we had a chunk of savings as ewll as the prize bonds, they only formed a small part of it for us but there was no issue in taking them into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BeanHero

That's what I was hoping would NOT be the case!

From googling it a bit though the banks might want to see P60s etc going back over 2/3 years but in general there aren't any special rules or procedures for contractor workers, and especially not in the IT sector which is where I would be. IT contracting is widespread these days so I am thinking that those people can't all be excluded. In addition, I would have the advantage of having a persistent contract rather than a need to shop around for a new one every few months.

I haven't spoken with anyone formally on this yet, but perhaps that is my next step.

i know that we’ve been humming and hawing about what to do, in terms of upsizing, extending our current home or buy a site and bide our time. This site popped up so. The sale of our house will be crucial in time to come when it comes to building if we get the site.

Yeah, in your situation I’d call one of the banks and say you’re working as a contractor and see what they say. When we were getting a mortgage I found I got a lot of useful information from those types of calls. Good luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

You’ll be treated as self employed I’m afraid.

Most banks have a 2/3 year requirement, but depending on what your role is and how transferable your skills are, they may be willing to waive that. Would be shocked if any of the banks proceeded on less than 1 full year.

I started a new job in January so technically on probation for the first six months although I have been told unofficially there is no issues there.

I was under the impression I would be able to apply for mortgage approval in July after the end of the probation period.

Was chatting casually to one of my colleagues this evening before finishing up and he said he thought you would have to be in the job a year which would push me to January 2023.

Is this true?

No. It depends on the bank. I got a mortgage from ICS in 2020 while on probation and I’ve heard BOI will do them if you get a letter from the employer saying that all is going well. The thing about 12 months is that’s when the unfair dismissals act kicks in. Even if you’re finished probation after 6 months, there’s generally no consequence to the employer of firing you for no reason until you’re there a year. The other thing to realise is that you can get the AIP now and start looking, the bank only cares about whether you’re on probation when you actually draw down which could take you many months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It depends on the bank. We had a small loan and even including that we had the ability to pay almost 150% of the monthly mortgage repayments and EBS were very sticky with us that it had to be paid off before loan offer

Advertisement