Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

That was really entertaining to watch tonight. Roll on the semi finals tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Great game of snooker, thoroughly enjoyed that. Higgins held his nerve…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, he was clearly emotional. They should hat left Jack alone, what was it, less than 2 minutes after being defeated, he's being interviewed. He handled it well. He's improved exponentially for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I think any losing sports person asked by an interviewer just after a match "you have to take the positives out of it" should be allowed to assault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Never happened before in the modern era. 1969 - onwards

Never happened before that as there were only 4 World Champions pre 69 and they wouldn't have overlapped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

First time all semi finalists are champions.

Suppose given Davis and Hendry's dominance at different times, it would have been hard to find 4 champions at the same time.

Never - I think, if i heard right, I think Radzi mentioned it there on Eurosport,,,, i'll rewind.... 😃

"unprecedented - never has this happened before in two (crucible) semifinals"

should be good evenly matched jousts ,,,, think Higgins and Willo prevail

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Would be a great quiz question. I was curious so quickly worked backwards on Wikipedia. Easy to eliminate years of finals where was a non winner or first time finalists/winner.

So managed to go all the way back to 1966. At that stage I don’t even think they had semi finals!?

So in answer to your question four past champs were never in SF. In the proper era anyway. Came close a few times with 3 out of 4 of the semi finalists. But never all four.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Better put on some Oasis Blur and a bit of Nirvana! Judd ruins it. Needed a Hendry.

Edit Judd not Bingham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mark Williams v Judd Trump

John Higgins v Ronnie O'Sullivan

Judd v Ronnie final with Judd prevailing is my guess,

what’s your thinking/predictions ?

Think Higgins will be wrecked and will have a job not to flag against Ronnie.

Williams has it in him to shock Trump. If Williams starts well.

Williams v ROS final is my guess.

O’Sullivan to win, while pretending it is just a hobby. 🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Really disappointed for Jack but after a bit of time I'm sure he'll be able to look back and be delighted with how he did. It could be the start of a new stage in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'd predict a Ronnie and Trump final. The final might be too close to call. I think it depends on which Trump turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I used to play fairly regularly on Fergal o Brien's table when it was in the club in Lucan village. The pockets are tight but with the fine cloth and everything being very quick, you play with such little amount of power that for me it was just about the same to play on in terms of break building.

Potting balls tight along cushion are more difficult than the club table for sure but playing around the black is real nice on the pro table.

For example, srewing back off cushion on a straight black off spot and bringing white out around the pink spot requires a gently stroke and allows more accuracy whereas on a club table you might be using alot of your available power.

Worst table I ever played on was in a club where it seemed to have championship pockets and a thick cloth. Now that was impossible.

Club pockets with a fine cloth would make for big breaks I figure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember how frighteningly good Trump was in the 2019 final, Higgins didn't play that badly and was completely destroyed, if he could rediscover that type of form.

Yeah Trump could ‘click’ in the final. Has not played consistently great to get this far. Just did enough. So in theory he has a few more gears to go. Williams playing great though. Even that bad Williams session v Yan he hung on in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya I reckon Steve is very interesting after all

He comes out with gems of info that the others just don't based on his vast experience etc.

After him and hendry then the rest are a tier below in tv value

I'm a snooker purist and unfortunately for me they've crossed a line with the ease of the tables and snooker has veered towards glorified pool on a larger table .

Not sure about the current method of replacing the balls .Surely there's a better method with computerisation and lasers or something from above

This current method of the ref shouting over and back to get the balls respotted is very unwieldy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Someone at the BBC needs to tap Shaun Murphy on the shoulder and tell him cut the shìt. He talks wayyy too much and tries to make everything into some astute observation. He clearly likes the sound of his own voice too much.

....then someone from World Snooker needs to take Murphy and have a very serious word with him about interfering with the officials. He was getting involved on a red being replaced last night and advocated for the ball to be moved towards the black cushion when the ball actually needed to be moved further away. The ref and the assistant should have told him to be quiet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

That is what I was thinking Dennis Taylor always go on about the ‘super fine cloths’ that have to be replaced and would only last a few days.

It is great that the commentators are into it. Seems to be a wide variety of every taste,

As regards the snooker tables playing like pool tables. I think it is just a myth.

Myth debunked in the above -

MYTH 3: PRO MATCH TABLE POCKETS ARE LIKE BUCKETS!

No. Certainly not!

‘Professional match pockets are templated differently to club tables. If you cue and have a nice pendulum cue action and don’t hit the ball too hard, and play the balls at pocket speed, they are more likely to accept the bags.

There is also a narrower drop in the corners of the bag on some tables (especially match tables), which help the balls go in. On a new cloth on a match table, the balls may well accept the pockets easier initially, On a new cloth on a match table, the balls may well accept the pockets easier initially, due to the newness.

But, once the cloth has worn in a bit, they won’t be quite so forgiving or generous!’

The analogy I would use is soccer. The goals have not been widened but the surface and equipment is much better.

If the pockets are buckets myth was true it would have been uncovered by now. I cannot think of any other sport where watching amateurs claim the pro sport is easier! Daft when you think about it.

It is a myth in snooker that the pockets are buckets. And I am perplexed why people say it without providing any evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Between Murphy and Rob Walker on the BBC I really don't rate them as commentators. Murphy thinks he knows everything and was suggesting shots to play by both Jack and John last night and the players went for totally different shots.

I don't mind the commentators on Eurosport as long as Joe Johnson isn't commentating.

I was gutted for Jack, fair play to John getting over the line. But I do think that the John Ronnie and Mark seem to be struggling with tiredness, it might set it up for Judd to win it outright if he can up his game.

I played on a super fine cloth a few times. The club in Celbridge had some that they’d bought after they were used in a pro tournament. Unreal. But they last ok

they/them/theirs

I remember one in particular where Murphy was horrified that Lisowski removed a red from the cushion. ‘Surely Not’ etc. Two reds left Lisowski ahead in frame. Lisowski won it.

The impression I get with Murphy he thinks his way of playing is the ‘more correct one’ nearly all the time! And then I think if Murphy was that good he would still be in the tournament!

In fairness Murphy is a far more successful snooker player that Lisowski is every likely to be. He’s won it all and is on his way down. Lisowski is currently at his peak and has won nothing.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes a world champion tbf. I think he was right about that red too, Jack got away with one. Awful shot from Higgins after.

Murphy clearly knows his angles!

Anyway get used to him. With Virgo and Taylor gone next year its Murphy for the next 30 years! Work in progress sure but hes only been at it a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The table in winter gardens in Sheffield during the world champs...is that super fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I can't stand Murphy commentating. I think it's mostly down to the fact that in the comms box he's got all the answers but on the table he doesn't.

Rob Walker, Murphy, Phil Yates and Joe Johnson need to be binned from commentating.

Some of the scour that comes out of Yates mouth would sicken you. His up and down tone is annoying too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya Murphy needs to stfu a bit , thinks he's the all-knowing second coming of JC

The ones that keep trotting out the cliches pith to listen to

'It's amazing what this game throws up' blah blah blah

Advertisement