Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Firstly, while management strategies were possibly poor in certain aspects, simple fact is had we taken even a percentage of the bad wides, and dropped short efforts, this team would have won comfortably - management can only put a team in a place where they can win, and last night they did. Puck-out strategies, seem to take up an awful lot of time of match reviews, however every team in the country at every level is work on and against them. Tough luck on the lads last night, but from a hurling perspective it is good to see two really competitive and closely fought games last night.

Re-entering the senior debate, I have not changed my mind Limerick are the best side in the country, especially with the panel they have and year Lynch, Hayes Flanagan, etc.. Hayes were huge losses,. That being said I believe that since Cahill's appointment, Waterford are and have been closer to Limerick than previous results have indicated, particularity the two 11 point defeats that keep being rolled out. Simple facts are:

• it is easier to win when the Championship Monkey is finally off your back - Limerick as a county should know that better than anyone - anyone care to remember Wexford and Offaly - Waterford continue to carry massive pressure into every campaign. Big teams also tend to get far more of the big calls in games, and Limerick at the moment are the big team.
    • Waterford have met Limerick four times in championship under Cahill's reign the first encounter being a narrow 4 pt Munster Final defeat in Thurles, coming off of two previous total disasters against Limerick in championship. This was followed by followed by an 11 point defeat in the AI Final when we lost our leader and talisman deBurca after 15 minutes at a point when there was little or nothing in the game, this was a massive blow to a "complete underdog" trying to end a 60 year wait for an All Ireland. Next up was another 11 pt defeat in the AI Semi Final last year, when playing for a fifth week in a row, and having to start without either of our first choice Center Backs - De Burca or Daly, and I also believe the change in team structure just before the start backfired on us. This brings us to last Saturday night's game, where there was three points in it at full time in Limericks home ground, with a massively partisan crowd. Waterford have consistently being making and not taking goal chances against Limerick, and games are played over 70+ minutes and having a 7 point lead in hurling with 7 minutes plus injury time is by no means game over - Limerick supporters might want to think back to the start of their current journey when they did a number on Cork when the game was thought to be "dead and buried".
    • If we manage to come out of Munster and get to face Limerick again, Limerick will continue to be odds on favorites, but i saw enough last Saturday night to give me confidence that on a neutral venue, we are capable of turning Limerick over - yes things would need to go right on the night and we need to avoid giving them a purple patch, but the last couple of minutes on Saturday night where Limerick shot some uncharacteristic wides for the first time on the night, showed that under pressure they are human, and are fallible. I believe that Galway on their night are capable also of catching Limerick in a one off game, and possibly also Kilkenny (not so sure yet about how much KK have actually improved, but KK wil always belive in them selves and will fight to the end. Clare are stil something of an unknown as Tipp were dreadful last Sunday, but i have a sneaking suspicion that they are not going to be a million miles off Limerick either.

This post is not being in any way disrespectful to Limerick, they are awesome, but when you are top of the pile, any team of substance are going to lift their game to try and match you and this can take its toll on Champions. I truly believe there are lots of twists and turns in the Munster and AI Championship yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

For anyone who hasn't heard them yet, both the examiner and the independent podcasts give decent analysis of the senior game last week. Daly is on his own with the views he produced in his article as Landers and Ryan speak a lot of sense. Daly coming up with nonsense like Stephen Bennett not hitting the free that well so it should have been saved and then Limerick could have gone down the field and scored again we're dismissed as they should have been. Martin Brehony argues that Waterford shouldn't look on it as a free shot and should be disappointed they didn't win. He feels every time you beat a team it changes the belief dynamic between both.

I don't agree with every point made ( I agree with none of Daly's) but many are made logically so you can at least see things from another perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iarlaith Daly out for the season unfortunately is the news this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In looking back over last Saturday’s game, I have come to the conclusion that Liam Cahill used it as an experimental laboratory to try out various things with a view to being better prepared for when Waterford (hopefully) play Limerick again later on in the championship. The main experiments, obviously, were placing Calum Lyons in midfield, having Conor Prunty mark Gearóid Hegarty, and placing Iarlaith Daly at full back.

Lyons had an exceptional game, indicating success with this experiment. In the recent past, Kevin Moran’s physical presence and ability to get forward, combined with Jamie Barron’s all-action work in the middle third, gave Waterford perhaps the most effective midfield pairing in the country, and maybe Liam Cahill is trying to reproduce this effect with Lyons in Moran’s place. At the same time, one wonders if Waterford can afford to do without his ball-winning ability in the half-back line, from where, as we know, he can get forward and shoot points with equal facility.

While Daly was doing fine in the full-back line before he got injured, I think the jury is out on the Prunty experiment. While I would say that Hegarty had a greater impact on the game after Prunty moved to full-back, Prunty himself seemed to be more comfortable in his more normal position, notwithstanding the problems he had with Aaron Gillane, who was getting a superb supply of ball from out the field.

Cahill’s decision to replace Daly with Tom Barron seemed surprising at the time. As noted here before, defending is not Barron’s strongest suit, and he appeared to be much more comfortable when relieved of full-back line duties with Prunty’s relocation. He did improve when he got to the pitch of the game and had quite a reasonable second half, with six possessions. And he now has 48 minutes of intense championship hurling in the bank, which strengthens the panel further.

The decision to replace Tadhg de Búrca with Cárthach Daly late in the game was also interesting, as it looked like a signal to Daly that he is ahead of Shane and Kieran Bennett in the pecking order. I would not be surprised to see him back at midfield for the Cork game (especially in view of how well he did against them in the league final), with Calum Lyons restored to wing back.

The decision to replace Michael Kiely with Pauric Mahony with just two minutes to go indicates to me that Cahill was not particularly concerned with the eventual outcome of this game. At that stage Waterford needed a goal to survive, and Kiely was much more likely than Mahony to either score or create one. I suspect that Cahill was again giving a signal to Mahony that he is in the championship mix and may still have an important contribution to give.

One of the key “learning” from the game from Waterford’s point of view is how discomfited the Limerick defence was when Waterford ran at them in the first 20 minutes, when Waterford dominated the game. A key factor here was that Waterford won six Limerick long puckouts in a row. It was like Limerick against Waterford in last night’s under 20 game – you keep the opposition pinned back if you win their puckouts, get scores and then win the next puckouts again.

However, Limerick managed to get some parity in this area in the second quarter and won more than half of their long puckouts in the second half. Of much more significance to the final result, and a continuing crucial area of weakness for Waterford, was their inability to win their own puckouts (as was also the case against Tipperary). Over the game, Waterford hit 27 long puckouts and only won 8 (30%) of these. This gave Limerick the midfield platform to secure victory. While Waterford also hit 16 short puckouts, in most cases this was followed by a long ball down the field which again gave the advantage to the Limerick defence.

In the league semi-final against Wexford, Waterford established superiority by working short puckouts to free players in the midfield area. Granted, this was facilitated by Wexford’s policy of not pressing up on short puckouts (as seen in their subsequent championship games against Galway and Dublin), but it was repeated, with equal success, in the league final (in the second half in particular).  It would be nice to think that Cahill is holding this tactic in reserve for a later meeting with Limerick, and that the panel will be working hard on perfecting it over the next three weeks, but I have my doubts.

In last Friday’s Irish Times, Joe Canning made some telling observations on key elements of Limerick’s successful formula. He wrote that beating Limerick is not about marking their forwards effectively, but about keeping the ball away from them. Their forwards get so much good ball because “Limerick nearly always have a spare man coming out of defence with time and space to pick one of them out”. Thus, it is essential for the opposing team to win, or at least get an even share of, the midfield possession battle. As Canning puts it: “Pressure out the field is the best help a marking defender can have”.

There are two parts to the Limerick formula – winning possession and then using that possession well. A key element in getting possession is Limerick’s ability to win turnovers, usually via gang tackling. I counted 15 cases of Waterford players being turned over last Saturday, whereas Waterford won just eight. As Canning observes, Limerick very rarely give teams chances to turn them over. They do this by immediately transferring the ball to a free team-mate when they get possession, usually followed by a second transfer to another team-mate in space who can either look up to give the ball inside or have a shot at goal themselves (Diarmuid Byrnes and Declan Hannon are particularly good at this). I counted eleven instances in Saturday’s game where Limerick completed at least three passes in a row (the count for Waterford was just four).

Waterford really need to take a leaf out of Limerick’s book in this area i.e. when you get possession, immediately transfer to a free team-mate; on no account should you run into a gang tackle, as Waterford did repeatedly on Saturday.

Canning makes two further points about Limerick’s fixation with retaining possession. One is how they always look for a team-mate to give a short pass to from sidelines, rather than trying to hit it as far as they can down the field, which is what Waterford almost always attempt to do. The other is that you never see Nicky Quaid giving a short pass to the fullback, taking the return and then belting it down the field (again as Waterford frequently do). Instead, he will always try to find a team-mate with a pass, sometimes 65 metres down the field.

As regards individual performances, I thought that Austin Gleeson possibly gave his most complete performance in a Waterford senior shirt last Saturday. He repeatedly won possession and drove at the Limerick defence, providing great inspiration and leadership in the process. He topped the Waterford possession count with 14. I don’t think he ever did that before.

By contrast, Jack Prendergast got his first second-half possession in the 58th minute (which he used very poorly, sending in an overhit ball that went harmlessly wide). His total possession count of seven was the lowest among the outfield players who played the whole game. He only had five possessions in the Tipperary game. He does some wonderful things when he is on the ball, but Liam Cahill has to work on making sure this happens more frequently.

One final point. Both Waterford and Limerick had twelve shots for points from frees on Saturday. Limerick got them all. Waterford missed four, and lost by three points.

Waterford team (possessions in brackets): Shaun O’Brien (2); Conor Gleeson (10), Iarlaith Daly (3), Shane McNulty (8); Jack Fagan (8), Tadhg de Búrca (11), Conor Prunty (8); Darragh Lyons (7), Calum Lyons (12); Austin Gleeson (14), Jack Prendergast (7), Patrick Curran (8); Dessie Hutchinson (8), Stephen Bennett (10), Michael Kiely (6); Tom Barron (6), Jamie Barron (3), Neil Montgomery (1), Cárthach Daly (1), Pauric Mahony (1).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All this 'cahill was shadowboxing a bit in the aim to be better prepared for Limerick done the line' is foolish as we're really not guaranteed to get out of Munster. Cork win this weekend and there right back in it.

We do not want to be heading to Ennis looking for a result. That's been as bad a place for us as Limerick has been over the years. Very possible too we could still need something up there even with 2 wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

I know he's injury prone, but starting a lad six days after he was deemed only fit enough for 10mins was very short sighted from Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Am going to have to give you a confidence pill or two PTH lad . Come on now try be more cheerful . I know it’s being a long time but come on 😄

Minor footballers Munster campaign ended tonight with a 1-16-0-09 defeat at the hands of Tipperary.

2-16 was the total we scored in 3 games. Fair play to the players and management for giving it a shot at least. Simply not enough interest in underage Football

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Big blow, certain starter when fit. Has been very unlucky with injuries since coming on the inter county scene. Hope he’s not another dara fives (great hurler but career riddled with various injuries)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think it's you that's missing something 2 of my theoretical 5 (inc barry Murphy)have cruciates both of which I'd expect to play some part in late championship if we get there. lynch and hayes have hamstring with hayes I think as a precaution won't play next day. then Flanagan is good to go for next game I hear.

of course any injuries are not welcome and far from ideal to have players coming back after an injury in such a short season but we're not the only ones that get injuries.

re last Saturday's match yes our panel was tight but only because we were missing what we were missing

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

when I said we're not the only ones that get injuries I didn't know iarlaith daly was out huge loss for ye I hate hearing about injuries no matter what the county

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tipp minors beat Clare in the football tonight. Waterford lost to Limerick tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That’s a tough blow for Daly if true. Really feel for the chap given he missed the majority of last year aswell. If he can ever get a good run of games he could develop into one of the top defenders in the game. Class player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

To be fair he went over on his ankle, completely unrelated. Obviously some ligament damage which is rotten luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Lads why are we getting such hammering s in underage football from not the big two?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Has this been officially confirmed yet regarding Daly's injury

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

He already is one of the best defenders in the country – IMO anyway – absolutely massive loss for us if he's out for season

Post edited by chookieourlaw on

darn

Wish him a speedy recovery, so unlucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

Big loss, one would have to be impressed by the calibre of the player he is since he came on the scene, cool and composed on the ball and could slot in at full, centre or half back

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

He should have been subbed before this happened. He was clearly injured a few minutes before. He stayed on and did more damage. Poor enough, i think, from medics / management. Pity....savage player.

Rory Furlong was phenomenal mid week fullback U20s. Flexible player too. Maybe he can be called up as cover now as Prunty has struggled with injury this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Any idea if the Waterford V Tipp football match is live streaming anywhere. Cant see any links ....

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

good luck

2022 Munster GAA Football Senior Championship

Waterford V Tipperary

🔴LIVE STREAMING LINKS 📍📡📡📡📡 https://game-day.show-more.site/gaa.php?live=Waterford%20V%20Tipperary

📅 Saturday, 30th April 2022 🕑 19:00

Round : Quarter-Final

Venue : Fraher Field

Referee : Maurice Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tipp 1-8 Waterford 1-2 HT

Waterford led 1-1 to no score early on. Downhill from there

Hard luck to the footballers, positive start but sadly not able to hold out and played catch up for the rest of the game

Onto the Tailteann Cup and await the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What utter shite.!! There is this perception that JP hands out dosh at the drop of a hat. Well i can tell you there are no "free meals" in his organisation. How do you think he became a billionaire in the first place. It's very simple, you perform you are rewarded. He absolutely loves hurling and always has, was the chairman of his club at 18 years of age. Quoted as saying that the A.I. win in 2018 dwarfed winning the Gold Cup or the Grand National. Imagine that. He has nothing to gain from sponsoring Limerick, he has nothing to advertise, just his love of the game. The squad are very well looked after, training wise, just like most top inter-county panels. There are NO FREE CARS. Hegarty drives (but doesn't own) a lovely Merc sponsored by Frank Hogan motors. He lives a stone-throw from their showroom/garage. Lynch drives a Toyota Corolla from Brian Geary Motors, Quaid likewise. Hannon a sponsored Mazda, Byrnes has some yolk that he seems to be driving from the rear seat and seems totally unsuited to his height. Hegarty is a teacher out in Newcastlewest with a daily commute of over 100 kms with the notorious Adare tailbacks thrown in. Do you have a problem with top players driving sponsored cars? I often see David Clifford, a student in UL driving his sponsored SUV. Great player but has still to win a Celtic Cross. When Sean Finn won his first A.I. and All-Star in 2018 he was working in the chipper in Bruff to fund his studies. Saw on Twitter during the week where Aidan O'Shea picked up a top of the range sponsored Audi. And this is a guy who always fails to perform on the big stage. I would be fairly surprised if a few Waterford players don't drive sponsored cars. Just thought i'd put a bit of perspective into all this but don't let the truth come in the way of your bar-stool rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sorry - I actually can’t read that wall of text.

Where did I say I have a problem with any of it?

I am delighted for them thanks very much

Where in my post does it come across as a rant?

I think your post was an almighty rant though! Haha

Hegarty is living in Dromcollogher currently by the way

Clare win today would be best for us but tbh the Cork game in 2 weeks is must win anyway

• Advertisement

Clare come out 2 points winners against Cork

Given Limerick beat Tipp next weekend, we just need to beat Cork and we're through along with Limerick and Clare

Advertisement