Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pluckyplucky

Skimming over some of the details, read about it here...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/ukrainian_refugees_in_ireland/supports_for_ukrainians_in_ireland.html

PPS numbers are applied for at the airport then and there once you show a valid Ukrainian identification or "other identification". You also apply there and then for all social welfare, including childrens allowance.

Childcare (up to 15 years old) is fully paid for under a sponsorship programme?

"If you have been granted Temporary Protection, the NCS can cover the full cost of childcare under NCS sponsorship arrangements. Your local County Childcare Committee on www.myccc.ie can direct to the appropriate NCS sponsor."

There's a lot of information, but if this whole thing isn't prime pluckings for abuse, nothing ever will be. "Are you from Ukraine, cross your fingers? Okay, here's everything."

Free to work straight away as if an eu citizen. And so on, and people are thinking they're going to waltz on home afterwards? Not a snowballs.

But never mind that, never mind that they aren't part of the EU, the sheer egregious nature of handing stuff out left, right and centre that many Irish people could only wish for is just, well, egregious.

It's not about begrudging this latest cohort of people, it's the blinding light it casts on the Irish system for Irish people. Mental, absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You know it was reported in the mainstream news as being organised by Belarus and backed by Russia?

‘A manufactured migrant crisis’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Which means you should be skeptical. But anyway it's your own choice if you want to swallow the things the msm say.

This is exactly what Putin wanted to happen when he flooded the EU with refugees. It’s been a stated aim to destabilise democracies through driving migration

The refugees were flown into Belarus, it resulted in no more new plane leases issued to them. It’s not tinfoil hat stuff. It was intentional to make a crisis. In retrospect it’s pretty obvious why.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, sounds exactly like what's happening now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The refugees are coming from the country next door now. Not flying across a continent without documentation and being dropped at the border to try and illegally cross. This is basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It happened 6 months or so ago. I'm pretty sure this was the thread where it was discussed in CA

• Advertisement

Follow the logic Potatoeman.

You believe that Putin manufactured a refugee crisis via Belarus on the Polish border in order to destabilize democracies.

That effort was repelled by razor wire and riot police.

So today, isn't it not a case whereby Putin has also created a refugee crisis via Ukraine on the Polish border? (in order to destablize democracies again?)

And this time, we are letting them all in!

Wouldn't the logical thing to do, is to repel the refugees with razor wire and riot police again?

In this case the refugees are coming from the war next door to Poland. It’s very different to a war on another continent which most were economic migrants not refugees in any-case. The refugees only have a few options, are they supposed to swim to Turkey?

Why?

The only arguments put forward against it so far are irrational fears and rancid begrudgery.

Neither are a solid reasons to dictate any sort of policy I'm sure you'd agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Masala

But never mind that, never mind that they aren't part of the EU, the sheer egregious nature of handing stuff out left, right and centre that many Irish people could only wish for is just, well, egregious.

..... neighbour Son (age 24)...... finished degree last year and tried to get on dole while Omicron took hold over Nov/Dec & Jan is still being messed about with rejection letters etc. They hoping he will just give up!!

And they can give out €200 a week without questions the Ukrainians with no check as what access to cash and monies they have.

Am not impressed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But most of the refugees are already being hosted in Eastern Europe. It seems only a relatively small percentage have gone further than that. Almost 3 million are in Poland alone (which is an enormous burden), 800k are in Romania; 642k are in Russia, 508k are in Hungary, 364k in Slovakia and 25k in Belarus etc. Now it's all well and good to say right let's all get together and chuck money at these countries so they can build great refugee camps -- but you're also then more or less advocating the foisting of the very same problems on those countries that you are advocating avoiding here. It's not just a question of pumping money into it and building refugee infrastructure, there's the whole universe of socioeconomic issues inherent in dealing with a huge number of people suddenly arriving (issues which I presume you would quickly acknowledge if a million refugees were sent to Ireland with flowery promises from other western nations that Ireland would be given all it needs to handle them).

As for building all these towers you mention, they sound like a good idea in theory but it seems to me that there are two pretty significant risks: (1) even with the best intentions we end up with what eventually becomes Ireland's answer to Seine-Saint-Denis in the Parisian banlieues and (2) you are more or less advertising Ireland as a place which can fling up whatever needs to be flung up to accomodate large influxes of people -- which I'm presuming might be counterintuitive for your purposes.

Don't get me wrong -- if something like that was done well, planned well, resourced well and looked after then it might be great. But if it descends into what becomes little more than a ghetto -- then you're stuck with it. It might work in some parts of the world where one day the whole place can just be razed to the ground and if one doesn't like being told to go elsewhere one can go do to themselves what normally happens between consenting adults in the bedroom -- but in the Western world that's a harder play. Personally -- while I do think there is a hell of a lot of value in thinking innovatively about how the response to the Ukrainian refugee issue can also feed into how we address the housing crisis, the tower block idea as a two-birds-one-stone solution seems a little too short-termist to me.

I don't see the relevance of how far they have travelled.

Ukraine is about 9 times bigger than ireland.

IMO the refugees should be kept inside Ukraine, and the Red Cross and humanitarian orgs should setup massive tent cities where they are needed.

If we believe that refugees are a Putin strategy to destabilize democracies, than it is illogical to allow them in.

People have issues with the numbers being banded about for Ireland and how it will impact Irish people. Most people have no issue with a manageable number. Not getting full social welfare, medical cards and homes before Irish people.

The distance is relevant, resources are not infinite. Same cultures are not compatible with western values.

ONE case, where someone isn’t entitled to Social Welfare vs mothers and children who walked away from a war with just the clothes they stood up in.

That's a wrap folks, the diligent research of this poster has discovered only a single case of unfairness. Time to go home.

Speaking of homes, I remember you declaring your comfiness with your own home and children set up and sipping tea with refugees as a hobby. How many spare bedrooms have you got, now that the children are out of the way, and how many ukrainians are you putting up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rancid begrudgery? When real people know other real people, Irish people, to the pin of their collars stuggling to keep or get a roof over their heads, cover bills, try and get their kids through school, expecially third level, being buggered on an ongoing yearly basis by basic car insurance, being buggered on long waiting lists for medical care, facing trolleys if and when they need it, only to watch tens of thousands of people the door flung open to them and the magic money tree(our taxes) geing shaken for them with no cap in sight. Damned right they're asking questions and it's got fúck all to do with begrudgery. That's just lazy ballsology in lieu of a cogent argument. It is to do with the realities for many many people in this country. Realities that we've been told and shown are apparently intractable. Well, until this February. Never mind the Syrian war, also helped along by the gnome in the Kremlin where over six and a half million people fled and in ten years we've taken in three thousand, half of them under 18. Each and every one with the usual background checks and a helluva lot more consideration about basic stuff like housing, welfare, employment. They sure as hell didn't get a PPS number and all the rest handed out to them at Dublin airport.

A good friend of mine's eldest kid, a straight A student throughout her schooling, damn near headhunted by a couple of universities missed out on grants by a blonde one because of what her parents earn(or don't). They're taking on extra work(she has a part time job on top) to try and keep a roof over her head(and theirs and their other kids) while she studies on the other side of the country as it was the cheapest option for her to get the education she deserves and has earned and they're not counting their chickens yet as far as being able to keep her for the full stint. And now we've seen fit to open wide our third level grants with all the associated trimmings overnight?

The government needs to get a much better handle on this and fast, and not a moron like McEntee tweeting about sharing her home and then not for utterly bullshít reasons. Great for the optics petal. Maybe look to your cronies on the fron benches who had the cop on to not promise what they knew they wouldn't deliver. Charity and flag waving is a finite resource and the more people see their bills piling up or opportunities deferred or less and less chance of getting a place of their own, renting or buying and watching their kids going through all that, then that resource will run out ever faster. We're only a couple of months into this mess. See how quickly things sour in six months, or a year.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

There are also refugees that drove here, from towns that haven't been touched by the war.

That's epic ranting and raving fair play to you. 😕

Doesn't contain any valid reason why a Ukrainian shouldn't be facilitated in being able to legally drive here though.

No, I won’t be share my comfy house. The bedrooms are too small and only one bathroom, coupled with a very rural area, with no bus service, so I’ll volunteer in the local town instead. Are you planning on helping in any way?

The one thing that is really noticeable is how the main stream media are completely silent on what is happening in Ireland right now. People's legitimate worries are simply being ignored! The discussion on every radio station in the last 2 days is TURF! There is nobody in my circle family, friends and work colleagues that are not discussing the influx of refugees into Ireland and who are not really alarmed! I am 61 and still working hard in a physical job. 2 Ukrainian people started a few weeks ago, cash in hand and full dole. I have friends who have retired and worry about their kids who are still living at home, working all hours to get a deposit for a place to live or to rent, some of these kids have partners and babies and still cannot get a home. I have 6 siblings, from 51 - 65 and we met last week for a reunion. There is huge disquiet with all of them, over the health system, education, housing that is going to be far more stretched than it already is................... which surprised me as we all have very different circumstances. Most people are reluctant to voice their concerns out loud for fear of being called racist but there is a fast growing undercurrent of anger.

(the only contribution MSM made recently was Joe Duffy screeching and screaming at an unfortunate caller yesterday who had the temerity to ask "what is going on"? He almost gave himself a stroke with his rage, spluttering and spitting that anyone could possible ask such a question......shouting "SHAME ON YOU" "SHAME ON YOU"! Where the hell is balanced debate and open discussion on this....on our country that we have been born in, lived in and paid taxes in all our lives...........inclulding Joe Duffy's bloated and untouchable salary!!)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Am not impressed

To be honest if I was his father I'd be less impressed that almost a year out of college he is still unemployed.

That's probably the Ukrainians fault too.

You're the one crying about them only having the clothes on their back. You don't think such people would be tripping over themselves for a small room, rural or not?

Or they can afford to be picky?

Which is it, only rags on their back in desperation, or they can be choosy?

I won't be housing anyone extra, not a chance. It's a ridiculous notion. I'm not going to talk nonsense about others needing to pick up the reality of my virtues either. "It's terrible, terrible altogether, here, you do something about it while I keep telling everyone how terrible it is for them".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I have no issues with Ukranians driving here. I think they should be subject to the same checks and procedures as others

Do you know what the youth unemployment numbers are in this country? Even before the pandemic?

Do you think it's just laziness?

Look about, look at many of the "disposable" part-time jobs that would ordinarily have been the mainstay of a student trying to get by. Who's working many of those jobs now?

I know first hand of Irish students trying to get a job, and let me tell you, it's not easy. Lots of other "students" have taken them up, and miraculously appear to be able to do them full time.

I remember the rickshaws in Dublin, just for one small anecdote, and it was a genuine godsend for many Irish students. Could make decent money, enough to afford rent and maybe even a bit over. Now it's practically a Brazilian cartel. Same for cleaning jobs, cafes, local shops, lots of jobs soaked up by "people adding to the economy". Get real.

Another globalisation "boon" I read of recently. A food chain in canada are paying people to remotely work on the tills from bloody South America, at a fraction of the cost of paying a Canadian. Guess the Canadians got lazy too, am I right?

Dystopian manure peddled back at people as always being their fault, whereas the reality is plain to see every day, it's a sell out.

And in a thread about 10's of thousands of yet more extra people arriving into the country, yes, it's plain to say that Irish students are going to lose out. And lots more. It's just reality. No, Irish people are not lazy.

Now it's all well and good to say right let's all get together and chuck money at these countries so they can build great refugee camps -- but you're also then more or less advocating the foisting of the very same problems on those countries that you are advocating avoiding here.

Except it's not... because Eastern European countries are better able to accommodate the needs of the refugees both due to the lower costs of living, but also, the cultural similarities (and languages) involved. And I didn't say build great refugee camps, because that kind of phrasing brings to mind the poorly funded, and poorly planned camps on the borders of European countries or in the M.East.

And of course, I'm suggesting foisting those problems on to them, because it makes sense to do so. You haven't refuted my reasons for doing so, not even slightly.

It's not just a question of pumping money into it and building refugee infrastructure, there's the whole universe of socioeconomic issues inherent in dealing with a huge number of people suddenly arriving

Of course it's as simple as building refugee infrastructure. You're putting the cart ahead of the horse, and borrowing trouble before the real problems have been resolved. What? We're supposed to talk about integration, and providing a stable long-term environment for refugees to settle? Why? If we want Ukraine to be stable after the war, we should be wanting Ukrainians to return there, so integration or establishing anything long-term is moot.

As for building all these towers you mention, they sound like a good idea in theory but it seems to me that there are two pretty significant risks

Except its not theory as that kind of construction has been done in the past, in other countries. Your first objection relates to migrants (in a city renowned for it's superiority and racism) rather than refugees to be returned. And second, that's exactly a skill we should be developing, because it would resolve many of the problems we have today. Just because we have such capacity, doesn't mean we have to accept high numbers of immigrants/refugees after the Ukrainian crisis is finished..

And I've said that we should help the Ukrainians, and if that means 100k/300k/1m coming here, then so be it... but do it a better way.

But if it descends into what becomes little more than a ghetto -- then you're stuck with it.

Then study the way that other countries do it, Asia being a great example of providing such apartment complexes without them turning into hellholes. Just because it's turned out **** in the past doesn't mean we can't improve and do it better. In any case, I assume we're still talking about Ukrainians returning to their country within a year, or possibly a little longer, in which case, the evolution into a Ghetto could be easily avoided.

the tower block idea as a two-birds-one-stone solution seems a little too short-termist to me.

Except that it's the only practical answer to high-density/population centres. Ireland will have to face that eventually, due to the political desire to increase the population, and that most people will end up in Dublin. The utterly retarded notion of low-rise apartments and houses as the primary means of dealing with a major city (on an island with limited land) is incredibly short sighted and foolish.

Again, though, we have the crisis of Ukrainian refugees... which needs effective solutions, even if they are designed for the relative short term.

• Advertisement

Mad that they can get free public transport.

And can send parcels for free, no scope for abuse there i'm sure.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/ukrainian_refugees_in_ireland/supports_for_ukrainians_in_ireland.html#lf5f0c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement