Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

I met a Ukrainian who was getting 400zl a week working in Poland, about 80 Euro's. Has sinced moved here. Now gets the equivalent of 900zl for free. That's the system we have in place. We may aswell Just give out free vasaline at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You just bumped into a Ukrainian and they volunteered all that information?

Probably driving an Audi and living in a 4 bed detached too right?

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I know of someone in the building trade, small business. Took on a Ukrainian lad. Is being housed in a hotel. Lad worked great. Pay is fair. End of the first week, no pps number was being given...the lad wanted cash only. No cheque, no bank transfer. Said he'd loose his allowance if he declared it. Employer very straight, everything by the book, refused to give him cash. He was given a cheque and told be on his way. This is only the tip of it I'd say.

And I also don't get why men are getting over here when they were not allowed, or has this requirement been dropped?

And I also don't get why men are getting over here when they were not allowed, or has this requirement been dropped?

Just because Ukraine had conscription, doesn't mean that European nations will comply with it. I suspect many Europeans would go out of their way to help someone avoid it due to the dislike of it in western nations (without the military culture like the US has)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Some people in this thread (the I'm alright jacks) are utterly utterly detached from the reality of the problems faced by our own citizens. So far out of the loop it beggers belief. They cannot see the **** show this has created on top of a pre existing crisis.

These are the people with their own roofs over their heads. Low and behold for all their proclaiming, they are not taking in refugees themselves because their bedrooms are too small.

Ughhhh!!!! An already overheated housing market is in for one hell an implosion. So frustrating.

Someone will be happy for your small room and sheltered bed MA. Put your Fu(king money where your mouth is and offer a room or else stfu pontificating from your high horse as you have been doing on this site for years you clueless auld twit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ukraine is vast. If you’re over on the polish or Hungarian border, life has continued as is but you can now travel visa free and automatically claim welfare in Europe- no questions asked. Of course it should be limited to women/children only but you’d then have the gender mafia having a meltdown

Speaking of which just saw two guys (30s/40s) standing alongside their large Ukrainian reg Lexus outside a local hotel that is hosting Ukrainian refugees. Well dressed too. Hardly the picture of war poverty and deprivation we are spun. Utterly crazy the likes of these guys should be using up resources for those that really need it. We seem to be seeing more men of fighting age coming here which is not going to go down well once the Irish cabbage taxpayers cotton into what is actually going on.

They know alright but they’re so absorbed in the notion that “all Irish are so racist” that they won’t move from that fixed point- basically ANY legitimate criticism of the craziness of handing foreign people places to live before the existing population is all “racism”

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How on Earth do you know their backgrounds?

They were standing beside a car? Did you conclude all of that because they were stood beside a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe they were Ukrainians who already live here and own a busines !! There are many Ukrainians who are helping their countrymen settle and in fact giving people lifts to appointments etc . You have no clue who the men were actually

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I walked past a spanish reg on my way to the corner shop.

I guess I'm Spanish now.

Yea you’re right they were probably from Kerry with their imported Ukrainian reg Lexus happened to fancy a mini break in the hotel that’s housing Ukrainians locally. All a coincidence surely

I personally know of one Ukrainian business man who owns a chain of coffee shops working tirelessly to help his countrymen . He drives them where they need to be so No I wont give you a break I will continue to post facts

It’s the driving thing that’s wound me up. There is NO reason why a Ukrainian refugee should be able to drive over and above any other immigrant from a country without a recognised licence. Literally NONE. My partner is American, licence for 20 years, can drive rentals here, but has to do her theory and 6 lessons and a test to get a licence and therefore be able to get insured. Ukrainian refugees should have to go through the same process

If he is driving around in a Ukrainian reg car whilst living here full time then that’s actually illegal and revenue would be on to him. Is he?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's bizarre that you read something and then try and twist some illegality into it without any basis. "He's Ukrainian so he must be breaking the law". Are you sure he didn't have drugs in the back of his Ukrainian car?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They forgot to mention the mythical free pram they left on the bus the other day. Its kinda hilarious seeing all these stories.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How sad that you see something and without knowing any facts or anything at all about the situation but you see the worst in it . Sad really

Thank God this thread does not reflect what is happening in the real world . There are so many decent people out there helping their fellow human being in an absolute tragic situation

I know who you are talking about personally if coffee shop is AOC. He's a very good guy.

• Advertisement

You can be accepting of refugees and very critical of the Governments handling of this at the same time. As I am.

The cabinet seem to have overcommitted to everyone with out thinking anything through which is going to be a monumental **** up. Of course they will try bury it all in hotels and local authority housing indefinitely.

Connected people will become very wealthy because of it whilst many middle income earners will never have their own roof over their head as is needed in this country because renting long term does simply not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is an urban myth about a woman leaving her pram on the bus - over the years she has been a roma, a traveller, an unemployed woman, an asylum seeker, a black woman, a homeless woman and she gets free prams every day 🤣

Imagine being so cold hearted that you begrudge a child who has just escaped a war a pram

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

One would presume then that the car has an Irish registration as is required? Cars need to be registered within a month of landing, so it's not a stretch to assume it belongs to recently arrived refugees, if it's located outside a refugee hotel.

one of the saddest clips I saw on BBC news was a train station In Kyiv

The train was packed with women and children and as it left the station there was a line of prams and buggies left behind because there was no room on the train

The buggies in the airport were donated by companies and the public

But some people just cannot see beyond their own anger

I presume nothing by seeing two men beside a car with a Ukrainian number plate . Not like some who presume only the worst

You must get dizzy wit the endless virtue signalling. Go easy

You must get very tired being permanently angry ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,173 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Was chatting to an African yesterday, settled here kids in school, works in healthcare, wife's a nurse. Can't get a family doctor, on a list for over a year, scratching his head as to why the Ukrainians are getting preferential treatment. I asked what does he do when a doctor is required, they've no choice but to go to the nearest hospitals emergency department.

So he's not happy about the Ukrainians special treatment, I'm not happy the justice minister even contemplated taking people's homes by force, Citizen Journalist isn't happy that 30% aren't Ukrainian. People who want to buy a house have to compete with Councils. The list goes on.

What's the government playing at, they seem to enjoy pitting people against each other unnecessarily and it didn't start with the Ukranian situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement