Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The only thing that might be different is how the world/universe comes together; do we know if there's any space travel?

Cos if there is - then I'm really sceptical about the engine cos the one thing GameBryo has never done even at all successfully, has been vehicles. Terrestrial or otherwise; either officially or mods. The Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim had dragons but they handled horribly. It was just beyond the engines capabilities.

If there's no space travel, then I guess it'll be like other DLC packages where you click "use" on a point (space port!) that loads a new map / biome. That might work well from an engine optimisation point of view, if there's many small to medium sized maps, rather than one giant one. Whether you can have events and states persist between those areas goes beyond my understanding of GameBryo Creation.

My assumption is a space map like The Outer Worlds.

I'm not expecting Star Citizen. It'll be like Fallout in space. That's my guess. Who knows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, it's definitely coming out and not a vaporware con, so it ain't Star Citizen 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Was reading about Star Citizen the other day,from what I could gather the next big update (server meshing and pyro star system) may not come in 2022,which is crazy.

The SP,which I might be interested in,seems to have totally disappeared aswell.

Personally don't see space travel like elite or star citizen in this,I expect to have to fast travel between planets with a little ship animation in between a la mass effect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've been wondering that about the travel as well... In the video in the first post, TH says something along the lines of, "All our games have this step out moment into the world, but I like to think Starfield has two step out moments", which he himself describes as cryptic. So I wondered if he meant one was the first step out of whatever base you start in on your starting planet, and maybe the second is when you first leave the atmosphere of that planet. Or maybe even stepping out of your ship to space walk??

• Advertisement

It's stick my neck out and say there's no way there's space travel in this, but you are probably onto something with the space walking. Maybe some of the areas will be space stations or mining colonies; areas you can leave and airlock and float about, do your own resource gathering. GameBryo can't do vehicles but you could probably tweak the gravity enough to get a vague approximation of zero-g vacuum without it feeling completely #janky.

Trying to contain my expectations for this. So many high profile failures lately (incl Fallout 76), so I'm being cautious about this. I'm hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can't wait to see more of this and somehow have not seen anything since the reveal....

I think I'm at peace with the fact it will have a certain level of trademark jankiness. 😅

Oh yeah, I'm fine with Skyrim jank or Fallout 4 jank (that game is actually more stable than it gets credit for imo), but not Fallout 76 jank.

• Advertisement

News for this is still very thin on the ground. But hey, at least we now know that your robocompanion is called VASCO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I like that origin stories are back, and hopefully they have some actual impact throughout the game. Of course i'll be believe it all when i actually see it.

I just hope they make exploration interesting. Its something that is sorely lacking from a lot of games, and this seems like one where it should be front and centre. And i don't just mean flying from one ? to another. Actually finding things by exploring the system/map, and getting interesting/fun rewards for doing it (not just loot, give me cool vistas, interesting lore, side story quests etc...).

The next episode of Into the Starfield takes in the score and sound design. If this rumoured XB showcase in June goes ahead, I assume that's when we'll see a new trailer and gameplay.

Sixteen times the stars of Fallout 76.

I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Music is so important in a game. And especially in a game of this scope. Should see some real footage soon.

Bethesda always nail the music, to be fair. They clearly place a lot of value in it, paying for orchestras and choirs, etc.

I'm wondering will this game world be too big. Cold, uninviting, sparse, lonely ???

Really intrigued to see what they do here to make it alive and inviting.

It's not clear how many planets there are, but I'm sure it's a mix of biomes, with maybe one planet being desolate.

I think one desolate planet with a foreboding atmosphere could be done well, it's been done well in cinema.

Bit of mood music. 😊

• Advertisement

Ha! The thing that strikes me most is the guy potentially sabotaging his own career by breaking NDAs, all for what essentially amounts to very little "insider info"!

Yeah, despite the "verified source", I'm still skeptical.

Why would a dev ruin his reputation?

Damn, that's some good shít; really propels me back to those days when "space adventure" truly meant something awe-inspiring and exciting. Those endless horizons of discovery, before the genre kinda got sullied by cynicism n' all. Love that misanthropy in The Expanse, truly, but that music made me remember how I used to dream of what it would be to travel the universe.

Nail on head.

Yep, this game has to capture the romantic side of (space) exploration and adventure. Skyrim and BOTW do that. Especially when you need to be involved for so long in the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Number of planets is an interesting metric for these kind of games. I want to see space stations, derelict ships and so on. Could nab the migrant fleet idea from BSG/Mass Effect. Some added flavour would add to this rather than here are 5 planets in which you play out the story with side quests. Cautiously optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Knew there was no way they'd make it this year when all they've shown is that CGI trailer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fairness, Bethesda like doing the "reveal nothing until a few months before launch and then saturate the media with content" method more than most publishers.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.

Double hmmm.

Triple hmmmmmm.

Advertisement