Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

You under the impression it was Galway's best 15 also? For a myriad of reasons, there's any number of players missing who should be starting. Most immediately it's the goalkeeper injured, while his understudy was the root of all Galway problems yesterday and left Mayo winning the possession stakes handsomely. Full backs also injured.

As an aside, I was very impressed by Rory Byrne yesterday. The goal obviously came from his one mistake, which was unfortunate. But while the Galway press was poor to non existent, he still pinged a number of very impressive balls out to the middle and wings in the second half. If it wasn't for Hennelly's added ability from 45's id be saying to stick with him going forward

Lastly, I may be remembering wrong but McHale park entry and access seemed so much smoother in 2018 with a 29k crowd than yesterday with 24k. A large number of stand people didn't get in in time with huge queues. Terrace was easier but still took half an hour from 3.25. As all the entry points were at one goal, this had the added affect of everyone have to filter across to the room at the other goal, so all the terrace had to stand for the first 5 mins to see over them. Would all have been rectified by a couple of gates open at the other end surely? No stewards in sight either and nothing on the intercom about space. Pitch looked and played fab outside of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there a defined path for the Qualifiers or is it an open draw?

The break could be a blessing....surely we'll have a few back and hopefully a few more back up to speed properly.

Did Mullin twang the same hamstring again? I thought he was a bit subdued before he went off tbh

One moment summed it up. Late on we got a free about 50m out I think. Jack Carney got on the ball with the chance of taking a quick one. There was acres of space inside at that moment. Two things stood out. No movement from anyone of the lads lads inside, or runners from deep. It was like O'Shea was marking Kelly. And even so, it didnt look like Carney was looking. He was waiting to see who wanted to take the free, which meant any chance of a quick free was lost. Not implying any blame on Carney at all, but it suggests there is no thought put into playing heads up football. Thought didnt enter his head because its simply not what we do anymore. Too rigid a system. To me its a reminder of the end of the Joe Schmidt era with Ireland. "This is what has got us so far, so we are sticking with it even though it doesn't work at the top level any more"

The goal came from his mistake, but anyone can overhit the odd kickout. I was impressed by how he recovered though. The goal was 100% cuased by O'Shea going to sleep. He should have cut that out with minimal effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

What are the top teams? Apart from Kerry and Dublin in that order, all the rest are much of a muchness, with Galway, Mayo, Rossies, Donegal and Tyrone maybe best of the rest. For Galway, after the defeats in Limerick, Salthill and especially CP last year, yesterday was all about the result, about winning by hook or by crook. (Mayo/Galway matches usually are). The beauty of yesterday's win is that it keeps Galway on the 'right side' of the draw, with the provincial winners meeting the Ulster champions. Galway, when they have a better team, which rather surprisingly they have now, (in defence anyway), never fear Ulster opposition.

I keep saying it, nearly above all, Mayo will regret last year's final defeat for a very long time. Tyrone were worthy winners on the day but were the luckiest champs in years and years overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I had that thought about the end of Joe Schmidt's reign also, definitely felt stale yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

https://twitter.com/gaa_statsman/status/1518273927574953987

Obviously the shot map doesn't show the pressure a player was under for a kick or how the space was opened up or how the ball was worked there... but still gives an interesting look at how and where Galway made their plan work (working their shooters into their comfort zone with hard running to open the space) and where ours hit the stone wall at times (the four in a line at the edge of our comfort zone on a line with the edge of the D tell the story of the day - They won the tactical duel, significantly, but in spite of it we still had the chance to steal it and kicked it away).

How were the minors Friday? Looks like we made hard work of it. Good to see a Mayo number 14 kick 1-8. His father had heaps of potential but never quite fulfilled it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

According to Wikipedia

If more than eight teams from Divisions 1 and 2 fail to reach their provincial final, a qualifier preliminary round is held to reduce the number of teams to eight. Team to enter this stage:

• Mayo
    • Armagh

Not sure if that is either factually or grammatically correct though...

Hit and miss at times, rocky start to the second half with a lot of silly errors on handling and distribution, but way more good than bad so positive overall. Enough glimpses of magic to make you hopeful of progression to u20 and senior in time.

Ronan Clarke and Niall Hurley together up top looked fantastic, real touch of class from both there. Excited to see how they go against a tighter marker or more defensive system from a Galway or Roscommon.

Wing forwards Cathal Keavney and Diarmuid Duffy absolutely worked their socks off. Some huge turnovers defensively when Leitrim were trying to mount a comeback (especially Cathal) and did a great job surging forward to support the lads up top too (especially Diarmuid who managed to get on the end of a move and toe poke a goal too).

Rio Mortimer at the back had some incredible interceptions. Looked like an experienced old hand just stepping into where the danger was likely to come and snuffing it out. Hard to believe he was u16 still. Took a couple of big physical hits, once or twice late ones, and brushed them off like nothing so very reminiscent of his dad at times. The full back from Mitchels, John MacMonagle, had a stormer. Always in the right spot especially during the patch we were a bit rocky around the middle.

Lads off the bench looked decent too so imagine be plenty of competition over the few games. Given Galway's fairly convincing result against Roscommon we'll have a better idea where we stand on Friday but for a first glimpse at them it looked decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Its no good having a forward of the calibre of ROD if he is not fed! Yesterday he lived on scraps yet ended up with a few points. The Galway defence were scared of him and must be very thankful that the ball was not coming his way.The difference between the sides was the speed of Galway getting the ball from back to front in 3 or 4 passes.There was one stage ,early in the second half yesterday where Mayo had possession for something like 100,yes 100 passes and instead of ending in a score Galway turned it over! Galway never took the same out of the ball and took their scores quicker and better.Shane Walsh won it for them with his three long range frees.We had nothing to match that.There are a number of Mayo players who have been great servants and now they must learn that they are better sprung from the bench,who is managing the team?

We gave it a real go in time added on but again the old failings came back to haunt us,a man opting to take a point from a free with nearly 4 of the allocated 5 minutes gone!A solitary point was of no use at that stage. Should it not have been hit in around the goal area in the hope of a goal.....at that stage it was the same as loosing by 3 or loosing by one! The end result being a loss anyways!! Coming out from the game yesterday evening some people remarked about an All Ireland Final of a few years back when the same sh1t happened,and personal recognition /advancement came before the team!

Play like we did in the last 5 minutes and yes we will make the quarter finals without too much bother IF LITTLE TWEAKS ARE DONE and of course the return of the injured players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers.... actually listened to a couple of podcasts earlier so I think I got my head around it now.

Avoiding an Ulster team would be nice...I guess the likes of Cork, Clare and Kildare would be easier on paper

F*ck it, I'd prefer to play the best teams in the qualifiers (say Armagh & another D1 team) and either we're good enough to beat them or we're going nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

disagree with this, i think the decision to take a point was the only right decision made yesterday. Fair play to Cillian for having the cajones for backing himself. if aiden orme didnt take a shot in the dark, it would have gone to XT and with momentum our way, could have snatched a win. Not sour grapes, but i 100% expect roscommon to beat galway. its insane that jevin Mc was left on the side line for as long as he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So we need five D3/4 teams to make their provincial semi final and lose at that stage? That way there’ll be Armagh, Tyrone/Derry, Louth/Kildare, Clare/Limerick and Mayo joining two beaten semi-finalists. That assumes Monaghan beat Down.

So we have Galway v Leitrim & Roscommon v Sligo in Connacht, if both of them go to form that’s two teams.

Clare/Limerick winners need to beat their opponents in the semi final. Kerry need to beat Cork.

Westmeath or Longford will be there, after that you’re relying on Wicklow to beat Meath or Wexford to beat Dublin.

I think that means that at least two of Armagh, Tyrone/Derry, Louth/Kildare, Clare/Limerick and Mayo will be playing an early round qualifier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He was correct to take the point. In the case that you were referring to in Croke Park, as far as I know, the ref blew the whistle straight away after the kick out - the time had actually expired. And, again maybe my memory is misleading me - but I think that Cillian has commented on this a few times since - that the Ref gave misleading info that day - that Cillian understood from the ref that there would be another small bit of time. But turns out there wasn't. Anyway, I could be mistaken about the specifics there. But yesterday, they had far better chance of hoping to get a point in the last minute, then belting in a hit and hope for a goal. Galway won the kickout, but Mayo still managed to get it back, and get up for an equalising shot. Don't know what rush of blood Orme got when he got the ball, but it was an awful choice to make. Ref was never going to blow it up as long as Mayo had the ball anywhere within the 45 metre line - especially with the time wasting that Galway did in the last 10 mins. He should have worked it back. Try to stretch the Galway back line, and then bank on Cillian, Kevin Mc or Ryan O'Donoghue getting the ball with a little bit of space to get a decent punt at goal. But hopefully he will learn from that.

It didn't work out in the end, but still the correct choice to make by Cillian all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I presume it will be an open draw if this prelim round is necessary or might it be confined to the teams that didnt reach the prov semi finals?

Correct choice from both Cillian & Orme IMO - we can't complain about the endless recycling of ball and also complain when the likes of Orme takes on the responsibility

Say five D1/2 teams lose their semi final, then you need three more to make up the eight. The quarter finalist will be narrowed down to three in that instance. That means one team gets a bye while the other four play off

Agreed. At one stage with a couple of minutes left we broke quickly down the stand side and got it into the inside forwards but they got held up and the ball went backwards, there was a lad in front of me giving out about why the forward didn't take the shot on. The same buck was giving out that Orme took on his shot from a better position. They can't win, kick it and miss and you're a bollix, recycle it and you're a bollix.

FWIW I've seen Orme kick that exact same point a lot and almost always kick it. He took it on in the league final and missed and missed again yesterday. I'd still prefer to have a full forward back himself in that position. You want your scorers being the ones to take on that shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, it’s just pure luck that Tyrone have won four out of the last five all Ireland finals they’ve been in, nothing else. Mayo had a great opportunity to win last years final and they blew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'm talking about last year's victory alone. I admire Tyrone for getting the absolute maximum of their resources, they are truly a team in the sense that they are greater than the sum of their parts. However, they were aided greatly in 2021 by meeting an indifferently-prepared and coached Kerry team who literally missed open goals and had their best player retire injured later on when he was practically winning the game on his own. In addition they had the great fortune of not meeting Dublin in the final, whom they would surely not have a hope of beating. Throw in bad goalkeeping by Hennelly and the missed penalty and you have to see how they got every break going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Cant blame Orme, have to ask what does Ciaran Mc Donald bring to the team? No plan B in evidence, no movement inside, just too static.

17 minutes of the second half without a score says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would have to differ. The endless recycling was a problem but let's not pretend it wasn't very poor judgement by Orme to kick from that angle.

He was forcing shots when he came on against Kerry as well.

It's not something I would hold against him too much, being eager and confident enough to take them on is good in general but he should (and probably will) reign it in the less he feels he has to impress.

I get that there's a balance to be taken but let's not make excuses either. It was poor judgement to be shooting from there.

He certainly wasn't the reason we lost though so there's no point making a scapegoat out of him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Thought O'Connor took the right option and Orme took the wrong option. He probably should have recycled it out. However, Orme also doesnt have the advantage of a clock in front of him while he is out on the pitch so maybe he thought that he had to shoot quickly. Somebody mentioned that the ref never blows when a team is in search for a score. However, that is becoming less & less accurate. In my opinion, referees are becoming far stricter on blowing regardless of if a team is attacking or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Very true. Recently Galway U20s the ref blew up when in possession.

The end of the first half you could nearly say Mayo were on the brink of an attack as I think AOS was pushing forward.

By my understanding the provincial SFs have no particular significance; if a div 1/2 team loses at that stage they go into the qualifiers, while a div 3/4 team enters the Tailteann.

So all things being equal there should be eight div 1/2 teams in round 1 of the qualifiers, and the four winners play the four provincial final losers.

The only potential Spaniard in the works is if a div 3/4 team makes their provinicial final. Then logically you would have nine qualifier teams and hence the need for a prelim. Not sure how the unlucky duo would be chosen though; guessing drawn from among qf losers.

Lower league teams with the potential to muck things up: Cavan, Westmeath and (most likely IMO) Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That would be my understanding of the provincial SFs as well. The only teams guaranteed an AI Maquire cup QF spot are the provincial winners. All the rest go into the qualifiers or the Tailteann cup.

Far as I know there are only two rounds of qualifying games in the Maquire cup to decide who the other four QF places go too. If a Div 3 or 4 team lose their provincial final then I assume they would then enter the final round of qualifiers for the Maquire cup.

• Advertisement

The provincial SF losers have a significance because D3/4 teams won't be in that round of the qualifiers.

So say Sligo and Leitrim lose, now you have a qualifier round with only 6 teams in it that needs to be filled to 8. So Armagh, Tyrone/Derry, Louth/Kildare, Clare/Limerick and Mayo needs to be whittled down to 2, so in that scenario its two rounds of qualifiers before the beaten semi-finalists are back in.

Of course there could be more than those five teams in the first round of the qualifiers depending on how the remaining provincial QFs go.

A D3/4 team making the provisional final actually has no effect on the draw as they will be treated the same as a D1/2 team at that stage

If no division 3/ 4 teams make a provincial final you have 8 D1/2 teams in a provincial final, and the 8 remaining in qualifiers. If one Division 3/4 team make a provincial final, you have 7 D1/2 teams in a provincial final and 9 in qualifiers. Simple

I don't get what you mean by 'that round of the qualifiers'. My understanding is they are waiting till all provincial SFs are finished till they play round 1 of the qualifiers. By rights there should be exactly 8 eliminated div1/2 teams at that stage and the winners play the provincial final losers in round 2. As I say, AFAIK the only complicating factor is if a lower league team reaches a provincial final, which would mean 9 teams to fill 8 places in qualifier round 1.

Thats fair enough, I thought we wouldn't be going in at the same round as the beaten semi-finalists but we will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Galway were 2 points down when he blew up.

Half time is completely different. It's not relevant to the injury time that is being played at the end of the game. Had the ball even left the Mayo half when he blew it up? I don't think so. I don't think I mentioned about being in possession. I was referring to a situation where a team is pressing hard to get one point to level the match and is pressing towards the oppostion's goal.

Have you even seen a scenario where a team is one point down, coming up to say, 5 minutes of injury time, and the ref blows it up at the 5 minute mark, when you have the team losing by the one point pressing close to the oppositions goal. Extremely rare I would think. I've never seen it. At any level.

Happened in Derry v Donegal last year. Derry held on to the ball too long and ref blew it. It does happen. He wont blow it if a team is close to the opposition goal but he will if you recycle the ball out towards the 45 again.

• Advertisement

Ya thats correct, everyone is in the same draw regardless of whether they went out in QF or SF, there is provision in the calendar for a prelim round if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Yeah and it's happened a number of times in the leagues this year. There's clearly been a step change by ref's from above. Before this year it was always wait until the ball goes dead. Now, I think they'll blow if a team recycles repeatedly past time. I'd say Orme couldve recycled a couple of times more in that scenario as the clock had just struck 40, but he wasn't to know that either so I think it was the right decision. McHale park needs to add a clock to the scoreboard for fans also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Agree on the clock, its always annoyed me that they don't have a clock!

Was there not a clock on the tower scoreboard in the past? Maybe im imagining it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not sure. I know Andy Moran mentioned the clock in Croke park as being an advantage for Dublin when they had possession toward the end of the first half, they would always hold possession and try to get the last score before half time.

To be honest Croke Park is the only place I've ever noticed there being a clock but there's bound to be others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I reckon Mayo would have won at least 1 all-ireland in the past 5 or 6 years if they had the tidy forwards that Roscommon have.

Definitely a clock on Pearse Stadiums scoreboard. Pretty sure the screen in Navan displays a clock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think we would have won all of them if we had a clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I was in the albany end on Sunday, no clock meant I hadn't a clue about the 12th minute clapping with were meant to do in honour of Kate Moran.

Did it happen in the stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Don't think so. Those things mid-match aren't a good idea imo. People are engrossed in the match and can't keep checking their watch etc

And even if they did, and a goal was scored 20 secs into the applause or something, people aren't going to just continue clapping politely and ignore the goal.

Have a minute's silence/applause before the match so it can be fully observed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wasn't it the 7th minute? Didn't happen in the stand in my section anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd follow things fairly closely coming up to matches and never even heard of this,I was in the stand and it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement