Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70 Burglaries!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Huts? Let them sleep in holes in the ground that they are forced to dig with their bare hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FFFG and their various coalition partners didn’t even try to lock up those in the RC church that played their part in priests having free reign to molest and rape vast numbers of children for decades.

Why anyone now would expect them to “get tough on crime” is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Cash jewelry and firearms are al there kind of criminals are interested in,

no one wants to steal your fifty inch flatscreen anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You might be whistling a different tune if they broke into your house, beat the sh1t out of you and made off with your belongings.

No doubt they are all on welfare as well so robbing the state and its citizens on the double.

But yeah lets all feel sorry for the poor criminals.

Its just pity the lot of them didn't end up cooked to a crisp like their cousins last year and save the taxpayer some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Same here, but I'm fortunate enough to have had a relatively privileged upbringing and parents who were able to instill certain values into me. It's no miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it would be interesting to see. If there are 5 of them (if we're talking about the 5 lads arrested above) then it would cost €80,000*5=€400,000 per year to imprison them. If they're doing 800 burglaries a year (a fair aul pace, credit where its due), then that's €500 per burglary to match the euro cost of imprisonment per year.

800 burglaries a year is 2.2 burglaries per day giving them Christmas day and Easter Sunday off. So it seems like a lot but I don't know how these things work.

So if you look purely in euro terms then you might save money by imprisoning these particular ones because they're so prolific.

Well, there's a reason we don't allow the victims to sit in judgement.

But there is an issue worth exploring about the factors that lead to these kinds of criminals. We know the factors that lead to greater likelihood of things like drug addiction, falling out of education, employment and training (NEET, short for Not in Education, Employment or Training) and how strongly it's correlated with crime. It doesn’t tend to be people from stable, affluent homes, with positive role models, good schools and an expectation and means of higher education.

We know the factors that tend to lead to high crime areas but they're very expensive to address, so we don't really bother to address them. Instead we act shocked that there are high crime areas and pretend the people in those areas are fundamentally different from ourselves. I would t mind a genuine attempt to address those causal issues, expensive as it would be, because the cost of crime is expensive and the cost of imprisonment is expensive, so there are no cheap options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭downtheroad

When somebody sues the HSE/Dept of Health because of an operation or procedure that went wrong, is it possible to sue the Dept of Justice if these guys are let out and then commit a crime against you? Basis of case being you wouldn't have been harmed had they been locked up sufficiently to be punished for their crimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" we all know the factors that lead to high crime areas "

thats just left wing dogma you are repeating

people are individuals , the country was far poorer fifty years ago yet crime was much lower including in areas that while below average today in terms of wealth , are far better off than fifty years ago , the culture of delinquency that is growing must be tackled and the best place to start is by dismissing the opinions of liberals who have been horribly wrong now for decades yet in their arrogance , demand that we continue to listen to their desired solutions

there also needs to be a dedicated department within AGS to tackle traveller crime which has specific characteristics

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

Hopefully they get thrown the book at them absolute vermin scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's fairly clear that most people don't understand how someone gets triple figure convictions. Normally what happens is a person gets caught, say robbing, red handed and they know they are going down. As we use concurrent sentencing it makes sense to admit all your crimes of a similar nature at that time so you can effectively walk out with a clean slate. So if you rob Tesco and Dunnes and get caught outside Dunnes, it makes sense to admit to Tesco, since you could be prosecuted for Tesco at any time and could end up in prison twice.

A three strikes rule, or a rule on mandatory consecutive sentencing would result in fewer people carrying around big conviction counts because there would be actively harmful to their interests to cooperate and admit crime. Not because they've decided to change their ways.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

The prison system should be offshored for repeat violent offenders. If capacity is the problem with sentencing, then buy that capacity in Ghana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It costs €80k a year to keep a prisoner in Ireland, that's not including the legal fees circus which could be the same again trying to keep someone out of prison. Each offspring they then raise costs the same again on the economy, never ending hell, similar to the damage done when rats breed. At their first court appearance if they were given the choice to instead of go to prison be given a brand new car and be steralised it would be better overall for the country, for ultra thick scangers they might sign on the line for an EyePhone 12 and high end Canada Goose jacket.

Like I said, "We know the factors that tend to lead to high crime areas but they're very expensive to address, so we don't really bother to address them. Instead we act shocked that there are high crime areas and pretend the people in those areas are fundamentally different from ourselves." I think you're demonstrating this attitude pretty succinctly.

I probably could have explicitly included inequality in the post. But I thought it was implied. Its well established that lots of poor countries with low inequality have low crime rates. And the converse also tends to be true. And the crime tends to flow in one direction - from the disproportionately poor. So you can pretend that is just coincidence and those people are naturally predisposed to crime, as you have done, or you can look at the factors that tend to lead towards greater likelihood of these behaviours.

The advantage of addressing the causes of crime would be numerous. For a start you'd prevent lots of victims being created. If you care about the victims of crime, prevention is surely better than remedy, right? Neither is cheap though.

You'd also get the best from people. I don't believe that the people from high crime areas are stupid or unable to do well. Increasing social mobility would mean we have more competition for educarion and jobs and more innovation as a result. And thirdly, we could channel AGS time into focusing on other things like community policing (broken windows theory etc) and the most serious stuff. Bit the most intangible advantage wouls be the social cohesion that comes from living in a low crime society. None of this is cheap, but at €80,000per year per person for prison alone (not including all the other costs) none of this is cheap.

But look, I'm not accusing you of having any interest in discussing any of those things. More traveller bashing, amiright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

even the americans dont sentence people for life for traffic offences so stop talking nonsense. the three strikes rule applies to felonies not misdemeanors.

I dont believe " people from high crime areas are stupid " either and nowhere in my post did i say it either !

as in my earlier post i said Ireland is not El Salvador where hunger is the alternative to crime , Ireland doesnt have a problem with inequality , now i realise no amount of equality is ever enough for many leftists as number one , if they admitted there was enough , they couldnt just keep blaming the state , society or anything but lack of individual responsibility so the " inequality " drum will continue to be banged relentlessly .

as i said earlier , i dont know whats worse , that the policies espoused by the left have failed so horribly this past thirty years or the fact their smugness in terms of how right they believe they still are on the subject is still so firmly in tact

our problems stem from lack of police and judicial enforcement , not equality

PS , the sneering traveller comment at the end of your post is not worthy of a reply , if you want to make light of the endless chaos and misery inflicted by travellers on much of rural Ireland , knock yourself out , traveller crime when it comes to preying on defenceless elderly people beit middle of the night burglaries where extreme violence is used or just intimidating them during the day to pay up for gutter cleaning jobs , is at crisis levels ,( unfortunately the same smug leftists in the media like yourself refuse to report on this crisis and instead trot out dopey slogans like " traveller bashing " ) , the very specific characteristics of this crime warrant a special division in AGS , no different to the drugs squad etc , they could call such a division dealing with traveller crime another name officially so as to keep the WOKE media and folks like yourself happy

I didn't try to quantify the scale of Ireland's inequality. I did point out that countries with greater inequality, tend to have higher crime. It was in response to your point that Ireland was poorer 50 years ago and had lower crime rate. I actually wonder about that. My MIL comes from a poor area and she would say the same thing. But she also talks about how her siblings took it in turns to sleep downstairs in the living room to deter burglars, break-ins were that common. So I don't know what to think about that idea.

My point about people from high crime areas not being stupid or unable to do well was in relation to social mobility. You didn't follow me on that point so I presume you didn't follow the the rest of the point about social mobility. Not to worry.

I'll phrase the next question as plainly as possible: Do you think people who come from high crime areas are innately more predisposed to crime than the average person? If yes, why?

If no, why do you think they end up with greater chance of being involved in crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Throw away the key.

Not playing you're loaded question games , keep up the smug condescension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Those crimes are already disproportionately punished in comparison to the more serious ones, revenue are particularly harsh

caught 3 times speeding and you lose you license over 2-3 years whatever it is

driving without a licence is the kind of thing scrotes do and that is not punished properly

Those lads doing the burglary were doing the ultimate form of speeding and could have killed people

They should being going a long time for that alone

So the crimes that normal people do are punished, look at the fookin TV license like, people spend actual time in jail for it

• Advertisement

criminally bad parents

lock them up break the cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Well here's a start on the causal issues . Stop the aul 'mickey money' and free gaffs in sink estates as a valid lifestyle choice for so many at such young ages, so these kids are not thrown back into the cycle of a non contributory, pointless existence save their own kicks from alcohol, drugs, then the resulting child neglect, thieving etc.

When there is a very real option to be rewarded in this fcked up country for non effort, non application and non working, and non punishment for stealing from those who do apply themselves, those who work and make an effort then any academic bullshit analysis around it can go fck itself tbh. Much longer sentences, less giveaways.

Somewhere along the way the concepts of personal responsibility and moral hazard have been lost in a chorus of touchy feely, weak short term policy making. More stick, less expensive carrots.

Like I said, I don't accuse you of having any interest in discussing the issues. This is why well probably never really get policies that try to address the issues. Well probably just muddle along, reacting to the crimes whe they happen and pretending to care about the victims when were actually more interested in punishing criminals. I'd prefer to address the causes of crime and avoid victims being created in the first place. That's how I'd prefer to care for victims.

I'm not sure the questions above were loaded. The honest answers were probably not going to suit your focus on crime detection and punishment so I suppose it makes sense not to think about them and certainly not to answer them in this discussion. But have a think about them in your own time.

there are already policies there, free housing, free schools, schools with everything provided free, music lessons etc, equestrian centers for your horses, what more do you think people need

Yes ,you and you're ilk have all the answers ,if only us unenlightened heathens would just allow even more progressive policies and all these problems would reduce drastically

Who cares what Einstein said about doing the same thing over and over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

and what you think SF oor others will stand up to this stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Just shows you how organised these traveller Burglary gangs are - Jeep stolen in London? Multiple false reg plates used. used in about 12 different counties. These gangs based in Dublin and Limerick have been at it for years with uncles working with nephews and grand nephews etc etc

These people are terrorizing thousands of people and closing many businesses /services particularly in Rural Ireland , well done to the gardai but will the Free legal Aid Solicitors and judges let the law abiding people down again???

In media and academic circles, there are so many WOKE tokens to be mined from demanding special dispensation for traveller behaviour that they are almost immune from the law at this stage

AGS fear being branded racist for properly pursuing traveller crime

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

you respond as if you have the answer. you don´t, nobody does. billions of welfare is spent (no issue with that) in the anglosphere countries on people. yet many still continue to commit crimes. its an inbuilt hatred of the system and society passed down generations. whats the monologue say in Goodfellas...that the mafia think civilians are bums and fools for working 9-5. thats it basically. i live in the inner city and people walk across the road without looking, cycle down the wrong side of the road? why..because its two fingers to society. i mean i´d prob do it myself if i grew up on the margins.

a real bitterness is building, and no amount of anything will change that. its up to the individual sometimes. people mostly don´t fall through the cracks here. you can get housing, welfare, education, transport, heating allowances, widow benefits, welfare with work, lump sum payments and on and on. i don´t mind that as the alternative would be a terrible society.

but if the answer was so simple every country in the World would be doing what you say. yet you have crime and drugs in Norway, Iceland, Sweden and so on. And in the harsher countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia as well.

There is no simple solution, no theory is right or wrong. its foolish to lay it out as if this is the case.

How do you address generations of deliquency? even if you gave Martin Cahill´s family every payment going, there is still a high chance he was always going to be Martin Cahill. Christy Kinahan comes from a middle classish family from Drumcondra. Ditto the Penguin Mitchell, the Gomorrah lad lad that was caught up with Kinahan, his father was a lawyer. all these guys rely on the local lads and the local lads rely on drug addicts and petty criminals. the economy benefits from criminal activity. judges, police, court shops, doctors on and on it goes.

to do what you want we need to increase tax accross the board and basically reducate every citizen in this Island. i work with scandinavians and they have taught me alot about their culture and countries, it would be near impossible in 2022 to reach a kind of Danish level of society where basically everyone is equal (even though they too still have crime, poverty, drugs etc)

TLDR. i agree there is issues. some of these estates are in deep trouble and if i grew up there, its a coin toss which way i end up. cherry orchard, jobstown. there is issues, its not all the individuals fault. i do have sympathy but its not as if we have done an America and totally abondoned them.

all of that is before you even get to the kernel of Irish exceptionalist theory. that we are so peaceful and nice and sound. a history book would tell you that Irish people had generation upon generation of blood thirsty savages (as many other places did) yet ours continued up to the late 90s if you take account of Omagh bombing etc. the idea Irish people are peaceful or what not is basically a myth. we´re no better or worse than anybody else. we had our focus elsewhere and the IRA kept things in line, we cleaned that up, fell asleep and though ah shure we could never be in trouble regards crime, everybody is the sons of roision, begorrah, begorrah, no police needed they are basically the RIC so lets not have too many. Irish exceptionalism something, something blah blah. while in fact just like near anywhere else, that is modern, wealthy and has a wealth gap crime follows. in an island where only about 2 million people pay tax out of nearly 5 the solutions are far far from easy.

• Advertisement

Leftists are permanently semi erect at the idea of the state micro managing every citizens life

Advertisement