Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PlayStation games are you playing ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah feel the same with Wonderlands. Story is much better than BL3 and so are the side quests. One thing I'm not liking is that loot drops are not great. I'm around level 24 and most of the drops I get have lower damage than my current weapons/spells. Like I have spells that do 633 damage and any spells that are dropped are usually giving 100 damage. I heard that to get the good loot you have to collect all the golden dice hidden in each map. Also the lack of armor customization is bad given the amount of customization options for the character head

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the dice annoy me. They're supposed to increase your luck with each one you find, but there are 240 of them in the game which means each one you find increases your luck by about 0.f*ckall%. The majority of purples that drop are just cosmetics. Some of the spells have less damage but you have more charges of them before the cooldown, but that's little help. And I think the fact you can combine classes means the action skills and your upgrade tree has to be able to work with each other class, which means they're a bit more bland compared to previous games. Enemies all seems to scale to your level throughout which is an annoyance too.

I'll keep going through it, but can't see myself bothering much with any endgame stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished Horizon: Forbidden West. Overall, it plays very similar to the first but with some extra mounts and weapons. The story isn't as strong, and everything just got bigger, and prettier. It didn't grip me the way the first one did, but that didn't stop me from platinuming it!! :D

Moving onto the Ghost of Tsushima DLC now, so I can spend the first hour getting killed by grunts as I've forgotten the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Have been picking up a few PS4 games on the cheap so over a couple of days played a bit of The Outer Worlds and No Man's Sky.

TOW is basically Fallout in space - not sure what I was expecting but not this. Decent enough, especially after the unpleasant shock of revisiting Fallout 4 recently after so many years, but I'm not sure I have enough interest to sustain play.

NMS I'm really not sure what to make of. The exploring vibe could be fun, certainly different to other stuff I've played recently, but the first few hours are veering towards farming-sim territory. Can anyone advise if that element is dominant throughout the game, or does it open up in different ways?

All in all, after a brief foray in space, I think I'm going back to finish off Days Gone. I get the problems people have with it but I'm definitely enjoying it.

Completed the story of Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. It was okay, posted my thoughts on the Games Completed thread on the main games forum. Not going to bother with the endgame stuff though, and unless some DLC comes out with hugely positive reviews, I think it's going on the digital shelf.

Started the PS5 version of GTAV last night. Played the first few missions (up until Michael becomes available). It looks amazing, though the framerate of characters almost seem a bit off during cutscenes, camera movement with motorbikes feels awful, and even though I had no issue with them at the time the controls feel f*cking stone age and characters move so slowly. Holding X to jog and having to hammer it to sprint is really just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Will somebody please talk me out of buying the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy – The Definitive Edition. Punch me through my laptop screen.

I’ve recently got a PS5 and shopping around for games this always jumps out at me. Adored the originals but looking at the reviews it is utter madness to shell out for what has been pretty much described in all reviewed as half baked shovelware.

I played the first half of GTA3 and the full story of Vice City.

They're bad. They're just plain bad. There are definitely hits of nostalgia to be enjoyed, the map layout and best routes to take instantly come flooding back, the radio and especially the chat you realise you can pretty much still recite from memory, and there is still some fun to be had. But it's not the same fun as back in the day. I'll put it this way; back in the day, I could stand on the top of the parking garage on Staunton Island in GTA3, using cheats for ammo/health, and just blowing up cars/cops below for hours and have a great time, or do it until the army is out, then get a fast car and see how long I can last driving around. Now, it just feels pointless after a few minutes.

They're the same games as the originals with one or two quality of life upgrades like weapon wheels at stuff. But overall the remaster is just lazy, and actually a step back in a lot of cases. And then when you get to the performance issues, some of which has been fixed but not all, it just doesn't have the same feel to it as the originals did.

If you have PS Now or even can sign up for a free trial, GTA Vice City is on it until the start of May. You could give it a try and see what you think without having to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The best thing I can say to put you off them is that despite the flaws in the remastering of the games themselves, none of them are anywhere near as good you'll remember them to be.

I've played through San Andreas countless times and as recently as 2016 before this trilogy dropped, always enjoyed it. This time, I couldn't wait for it to be finished with. In 2016 I felt it had aged well, but in 2022 I realise that it hasn't. The other two have suffered even more.

Despite all that, you would still enjoy this trilogy and I can't say it was a waste of money for me. Just that it made me certain it's the last time I'll ever play an old GTA again.

That probably doesn't help you at all, but it's inevitable that you'll buy them at some point out of curiosity anyway. It's not nearly as bad as the more extreme reviews will tell you it is, but not half as good as you'll remember it being.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Finished Far Cry 5 for the second time so have been playing Far Cry New Dawn for the last week or so. It's enjoyable so far.

Just finished the Prequel Trilogy in Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga

Overall, I enjoyed it, but feels like the effort into the story levels is a bit off - For example, it skips over a lot of stuff - no duel between Mace Windu, and Palpatine (bar cut scene), no Jedi Temple attack, no Tusken attack in AoTC - seems like there could have been a bit more on that - overall though, very enjoyable, and getting started on the Original Trilogy now, before the downward spiral that is the sequel trilogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mac180sx

I have really enjoyed Cyberpunk ( PS5 version )

Great game !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Had covid a few weeks ago so most games I couldn't play due to the quick movement making me naseaus. So I got Car Mechanic Simulator 21. I can play normal games again, but I'm still playing this... Something addictive about these types of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Got the Platinum for Days Gone after getting the game from PSPlus. It's a shame it looks like a sequel is dead in the water because I enjoyed the story. Decided to play something a little lighter so I've moved on to The Battle for Bikini Bottom (again from PSPlus).

Agreed! I really enjoyed the story (though it did drag a bit in the last third - few too many General speeches) - and I had hope for a sequel, but looks like it's not going to happen.

I finished the main Lego Star Wars story, so now onto the collect-a-thon! Overall, it's clear the game was made with a lot of love for the franchise, but I think I'm just over the Lego formula. While they have implemented some good changes to the controls and fighting, and tried to add RPG-lite elements with character classes and upgrades, it's really just the same old smash and grab game at the heart of it all. I'll likely still go for the 100% but likely at the same time as playing something else.

Not sure what I'll move onto next - I have the new Uncharted collection - never played Lost Legacy, and haven't played 4 since it launched. I might start Tiny Tinas as well. Cyberpunk is sitting there too, and now that the PS5 upgrade is out, that may get looked at!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Got the platinum for Forbidden West last night, thoroughly enjoyed it and hope there's a dlc. Can now restart Elden Ring, probably shouldn't have bought both at release 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

Finally near the end of my backlog and started Far Cry New Dawn last night. 5 was enjoyable so hoping this will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

MGSV Phantom Pain. Didn't expect the story to be this weird so early on. Enjoying it so far though (only a few missions in) and it looks phenomenal given its age

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It is a ridiculously fun game to play. Story wise it was a disappointment to the fans but an otherwise excellent open world stealth game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭nedd

I just started this last night also. I got about half way through years ago so starting again.

I play a few hours last night, it is probably one of the best games for gameplay, it is amazing. But the story is shocking.

I bought the definitive edition for €4 last night cause I want to pause Phantom Pain and actually play Ground Zeros. Will start that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TPP nailed open world espionage. The base building was really fun as well, wouldn't mind another play through actually.

I'm currently playing No Man's Sky finally and it's just unreal. I wish i had more hours to play this, so much to uncover.

Also playing Dysmantle, indie where you have to survive the apocalypse by breaking and crafting. Actually very relaxing and currently on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Really must give No Man's Sky a go.. I bought the game once the PSVR addition was in place (got it for around €6 I think, before the price hike), but just had so many others on my backlog.

Generally not a fan of the searching/crafting games like Subnautica, but might get involved once I start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Oh it looks amazing and it's gameplay is the best in the series. But as said above, story wise its a total let down for anyone who played a mgs game before. It also gets very repetitive.

It's a shame. Should have been the best game in the series. Like forget the issues Kojima had with Konami, certain game design choices were so off for a mgs game. Like telling the story through cassettes and not cutscenes for metal gear game? Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I did Ground Zeroes first. There's some side content but you'll have the main mission done in a couple of hours. Was just right to give me a taste for diving into TPP, loved the first MGS on PlayStation yrs ago but the others in the series kinda passed me by

Picked up Dysmantle thanks to @Zero-Cool's comments, and I'm digging it. It's a crafting survival zombie game, but somehow quite relaxing. It's a great change of pace that nearly everything will be breakable at some point. And it's big, a lot bigger than I was expecting, but unlike the slight sense of dread I got when I saw rhe size of the map for HFW or Cyberpunk, I'm excited to explore!

For the price, great little game so far! I could see the grind for collecting getting to some people, but its managing to keep me interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some big free updates releasing this year starting with base building being add in next month or 2.

Noice! I was noticing its the only thing missing right now. Just got thr quest for the cells so game starting proper now!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

I bought it and enjoyed it. Purely for the nostalgia, the game play isn’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Far Cry 3. Really enjoying it, not as unwieldy as later games in the franchise and its tough enough by times, even on normal difficulty. Also, komodo dragons can get fooked.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It was excellent for a while.

And then it got super repetitive. The repetition without any story to compel you to continue meant I didn't even come close to finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭McFly85

After Elden Ring I’ve gone into the backlog.

Finished Cyberpunk, which I ended up really enjoying. The PS5 version fixed a raft of things I didn’t like so it was much easier to get stuck into. And I ended up loving the story, characters and quest design. Night City wasn’t as jaw dropping as the world in the Witcher 3 but I grew to love it and will be back for the DLC which is unfortunately still ages away!

Now it’s Ghost of Tsushima, which really didn’t grab me the first time round, but I’ve gotten more into this time. It’s a stunning looking game, and after getting used to the combat it’s very satisfying. It’s a poor open world game though, just a checklist of places to free and items to grab. Story’s not really grabbing me so far either, I think I can see what’s coming from a mile away and there’s very little difference in personality between the characters, everyone’s so stoic! But engaging several Mongols in battle is fun enough to keep going I think.

Next is probably going to be Dysmantle based on what I’ve read here, and I’ve been thinking about picking up Ghostwire because it’s half price, it looks intriguing even if the reviews have it as a very middle of the road game.

Advertisement